Xbox One Does A 180 (Or 360?) No DRM, Used Game Restrictions, Region Locking, Or Internet Required.

Options

Comments

• John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Xbox One is the future. People just ain't ready for it.
  • John_Blazini
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Dude said a lot of the same things i have tried to tell my boys.... everybody wanted to freak out without really understanding what the goal was. What MS should d is make some of those features Xbox gold only and allow silver members to play online minus a lot of the new features.
  • Karl.
    Options
    I would opt in for the DRM. Simple because I have Internet connection at home or can tether off my iPad or iPhone if at work.

I also never buy used games. I rarely trade in games and only ever do so to clear some space on the shelf. Not to make money.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ people crying about the digital stuff that can't be done anymore. If that's really the case, then M$ is stupid because I don't see a reason why dropping DRM and 24 hour check-ins stops the digital sharing and all that. I'd also bet, that will become possible with the PS4 too considering digital downloads are already possible and common even on the PS3 let alone PS4 and Sony already allied with company that specializes in cloud based services. Wouldn't it be hilarious if M$ really did abandon all that stuff and Sony turns around and picks it up and makes it possible for everyone to do that stuff without the DRM restrictions?

We been game sharing on PS3 since day one (albeit illegally lol)

BCotton, Spliff and KOA live off this
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    I would opt in for the DRM. Simple because I have Internet connection at home or can tether off my iPad or iPhone if at work.

I also never buy used games. I rarely trade in games and only ever do so to clear some space on the shelf. Not to make money.

I would rather my games burn in hell then give them to game stop... I def thing the family sharing should be a gold benefit.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    "you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today."

Yep this is definitely how I'll buy my games.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This just leaked...
    LEAKED: Don Mattrick's First Draft of the Xbox One Update Announcement
    BY ANDREW BRIDGMAN / JUNE 19, 2013

Don Mattrick and Microsoft just announced a number of updates to their upcoming console, the Xbox One. Most of the updates are in response to the overwhelmingly negative response the company has received since the console's debut and its reception at E3. The update specifies that the Xbox One will not require a daily internet connection for games to be playable, that Microsoft will not restrict used games, and that region-locking will also be dropped. But that was the final draft, polished by Microsoft's PR team.

Here is Don Mattrick's original uncensored first draft:

79ebead889dbfc41ca7fdccdc003a90a-don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement.jpg
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Boo ? hoo. Those studios have to learn to adjust to not making 100 million dollar games anymore. Amp the creativity and quality. If you're a real artist you could easily do it with a reduced budget. I don't see how these studios can't fathom making a 10 million dollar or less game with a marketing budget also in tens of millions and not hundreds of millions. If you really have the skills to make a quality game with the resources that these consoles make available to you I see no justifiable excuses.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this video prob makes the most sense
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29gPi6UWjgk

I'm calling BS again. You don't need the DRM policy M$ had to implement a game sharing option. Limited licenses for software are done all the time. It should be a simple thing to set up the system that DLs the game as having the "main copy" and then keeping track of how many times it is shared while the other copies are made so that they can't be traded at all. I fail to see how implementing that DRM policy was necessary for that mechanism to exist.

• Broddie
    Options
    Xbox One Will Continue to Use the Power of the Cloud, Says Microsoft

Written Thursday, June 20, 2013 By Lee Bradley

Despite Microsoft’s changes to the way the Xbox One’s uses its online tech, the next-gen console will continue to leverage the power of the cloud.

That’s according to Xbox chief product officer Marc Whitten who told Joystiq that, "Our vision around Xbox One and what you can do because of the power of both the architecture of the console, and also the cloud and the Xbox Live service, remains unchanged."

When asked by the outlet whether Microsoft will simply offer an offline mode similar to that of Steam, Whitten responded, "that's absolutely" what the platform holder is doing.

Whitten then listed examples of how cloud computing still exists as part of the Xbox One plan, saying that players will "see great games like Titanfall take advantage of the cloud processing power. We're going to continue to really invest in how those experiences work.”

During E3, Microsoft engineering manager Jeff Henshaw said, "the cloud brings infinite additional processing power" to the Xbox One. That, if we’re reading this correctly, will not change as a result of Microsoft’s recent change of heart regarding the way the console works online.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude said a lot of the same things i have tried to tell my boys.... everybody wanted to freak out without really understanding what the goal was. What MS should d is make some of those features Xbox gold only and allow silver members to play online minus a lot of the new features.

If MS did that Id buy a one in a heartbeat over a ps4....

We all know DRM and online check in will come back in about a year on the xbox one but no online fee would be GOAT on live.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm curious if Microsoft will have ONLINE ONLY on a bunch of their games.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options

Possible I guess. That comes down to the developers.
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    As they should..we need something to seperate this gen gaming experience from the last because at this point ...we are going to be buying new boxes for the same ? .
  • joshuaboy
    Options

I think Titanfall is
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    As they should..we need something to seperate this gen gaming experience from the last because at this point ...we are going to be buying new boxes for the same ? .

Sentiments like this don't even make sense to me. If the PS4 and XB1 are capable of letting you play better looking, better performing, and more immersive games, what other reason do you need to buy a next gen system. ? didn't switch from the NES to the SNES because the ? offered a bunch of unneeded perks. They did it because the games were better. It's the same ? here. Developers are saying they can do things with this generation of systems that they couldn't with the previous, so why is that not enough to warrant the upgrade?

• John_Blazini
    Options

Sentiments like this don't even make sense to me. If the PS4 and XB1 are capable of letting you play better looking, better performing, and more immersive games, what other reason do you need to buy a next gen system. ? didn't switch from the NES to the SNES because the ? offered a bunch of unneeded perks. They did it because the games were better. It's the same ? here. Developers are saying they can do things with this generation of systems that they couldn't with the previous, so why is that not enough to warrant the upgrade?

Technology is far more advanced from the NES days man those were just gaming consoles ..what we have now are a lot more then that.. there are a lot of things from networking stand point that could be done with the new consoles .. I want a better online gaming experience personally... I'm buying the consoles for what I feel they are capable of doing years from now... I think MS was on to something. I wont be mad if games start requiring online mode...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Technology is far more advanced from the NES days man those were just gaming consoles ..what we have now are a lot more then that.. there are a lot of things from networking stand point that could be done with the new consoles .. I want a better online gaming experience personally... I'm buying the consoles for what I feel they are capable of doing years from now... I think MS was on to something. I wont be mad if games start requiring online mode...

Now that I can understand and agree with. That said, I need someone to explain to me why any of that ? M$ was trying to do is necessary for and improved online experience. Half the ? people are saying can't be done now that the DRM scheme has been abandoned are already being done in part on the PS3. So what is anybody losing with the loss of the DRM shenanigans?
  • Karl.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Am I out of touch with the gaming world right now?

Why is Don Matchstick the face of Xbox One? What happened to naked ? and such? We got some ? up teef dude instead?
  • John_Blazini
    Options

Now that I can understand and agree with. That said, I need someone to explain to me why any of that ? M$ was trying to do is necessary for and improved online experience. Half the ? people are saying can't be done now that the DRM scheme has been abandoned are already being done in part on the PS3. So what is anybody losing with the loss of the DRM shenanigans?

I think it was more to avoid piracy issues and having more control over the whole family sharing concept... but online mode could change the way games are played as far as how games could change real time.. games like Titan fall or the Division .. i gotta research some of the other stuff mentioned though.
  • joshuaboy
    Options

There are already games that require online mode only. Still, why couldn't some of these features that you want so badly be implemented without scrapping all the new features? Biggest gripe was the online check in. Now you won't find someone that has a problem checking in daily buying Titanfall. MS was just like if you're not happy, then we won't give you anything at all.
  • joshuaboy
    Options

I think it was more to avoid piracy issues and having more control over the whole family sharing concept... but online mode could change the way games are played as far as how games could change real time.. games like Titan fall or the Division .. i gotta research some of the other stuff mentioned though.

They've already taken a big bite out of priacy issues by going BluRay.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just read that the family sharing was going to limit you to around an hour, sort of like the ful game demos on PSN. Not even worth it. You aint lose much honestly.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options