"I Fear I May Have Integrated My People Into a Burning House" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Options

Comments

• REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really Dr. MLKjr, do you think so, I do too.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptnutz wrote: »
    Maybe he was lamenting the fact that we put too much emphasis on "acceptance" and not enough on equality. And I don't think he was talking about putting out the fire on "? 's house" as much as he was fearing us entering that burning house in the first place.

1. Would you continue to fight, speak, or demonstrate for something you're lamenting over?

2. Would you lead your family into a building you saw was burning or would you turn into the fireman (especially knowing that buildings systems are specifically designed to exploit/destroy you?
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice ceremonies today to celebrate the speech
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe he was lamenting the fact that we put too much emphasis on "acceptance" and not enough on equality. And I don't think he was talking about putting out the fire on "? 's house" as much as he was fearing us entering that burning house in the first place.

1. Would you continue to fight, speak, or demonstrate for something you're lamenting over?

2. Would you lead your family into a building you saw was burning or would you turn into the fireman (especially knowing that buildings systems are specifically designed to exploit/destroy you?

So your saying that MLK wanted to harm black people? That he intentionally spent his life and gave his life to make black peoples lives worse?
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a great thread...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white715 wrote: »

So your saying that MLK wanted to harm black people? That he intentionally spent his life and gave his life to make black peoples lives worse?

I may be wrong I believe the intended point was Martin Became disillusioned towards the end and saw that he may be following the wrong path in the pursuit of equality. The positioning of the questions to me implies that given the 2nd guessing running in Reverand King's head that he should probably have stopped pursuing something that may harm the community he was seeking to empower as it would most people doubting the validity of something they represented.

Also King should have followed that instinct to align more with Empowering and reinforcing the Black community rather then integrating it into a white culture that was breaking down and having a identity crisis. King saw what was going on With Minister Malcom and how he separated himself from a ideology that proved false and therefore detrimental to the overall goals of his movement.

All this given the current situation the majority of the community is in could have defintely changed where we all are at right now instead of having Machurian leaders who continue to look out for themselves and social positions over that of the community they came from and claim to represent...
  • Jbrown11
    Jbrown11 Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Christ the black messiah was and is the greatest black leader
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't celebrate Martin Luther ? Day. and ? any ? that got a problem wit it. kick rocks houseniggers
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img]https://scontent-a-atl.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1016374_591920137556866_1338494290_n.jpg[/img]
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    classic smart dumb ? thread.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First off, MLK is a great great man. However, I think his "dream" was flawed. He fought for equality & justice. But also white acceptance. What he didn't realize is these white folks are pure ? evil. You will NEVER be equal to them in their eyes, and as soon as we start progressing as a race they will MAKE SURE we take 2 steps backwards. They control the power structure and don't want anybody jeopardizing it. They give us a month to celebrate "our" history just to keep us happy
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First off, MLK is a great great man. However, I think his "dream" was flawed. He fought for equality & justice. But also white acceptance. What he didn't realize is these white folks are pure ? evil. You will NEVER be equal to them in their eyes, and as soon as we start progressing as a race they will MAKE SURE we take 2 steps backwards. They control the power structure and don't want anybody jeopardizing it. They give us a month to celebrate "our" history just to keep us happy

He didn't really fight for white acceptance. He said that his dream (the ideal future) was one where people of all races got along. But it's not like he was going around saying "I want white people to love us."
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options

Lots of truth to this. America is falling off, big time. If America is the "greatest" country in the world, then the world is more ? up then I can ever imagine.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lots of truth to this. America is falling off, big time. If America is the "greatest" country in the world, then the world is more ? up then I can ever imagine.

then the world is ? up more than you imagine because overall america is the greatest nation that ever existed
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options
    America is 10th in economic freedom and is falling behind quite a bit of countries on all kinds of levels
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

then the world is ? up more than you imagine because overall america is the greatest nation that ever existed

What proof do you have that America is the greatest nation overall in the world lol, America has fallen off so hard I'm surprised people can still say what you say with a straight face. My friends who travel say there are places much better then here
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options

What proof do you have that America is the greatest nation overall in the world lol, America has fallen off so hard I'm surprised people can still say what you say with a straight face. My friends who travel say there are places much better then here

the united states of america is like a b+ student while everyone else might be A,C,D,F we do very good in everything overall in comparison to everyone else. SOME nations might have better education systems but their militaries sucks so they need us for defense. Some nation might have strong economies but their influence of world culture is small in comparison to ours. some nations might have slightly better technology but the nation is small so the native economy is small. Some nations might have good economies, good education systems and decent militaries but the lack natural resources.

We have the best military and economy in the world we don't have the biggest economy but we have the best we also have the best currency in the world, the most reliable, stable and accepted our political system while it is clearly flawed is more stable than most. Your friends are visitors and will have a visitors perspective and like i tried to tell you in other threads the well being of most of the so called first world NATIONS is based on the well being of america.

our cultural influence is felt all over the planet like no other nation.
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options

the united states of america is like a b+ student while everyone else might be A,C,D,F we do very good in everything overall in comparison to everyone else. SOME nations might have better education systems but their militaries sucks so they need us for defense. Some nation might have strong economies but their influence of world culture is small in comparison to ours. some nations might have slightly better technology but the nation is small so the native economy is small. Some nations might have good economies, good education systems and decent militaries but the lack natural resources.

We have the best military and economy in the world we don't have the biggest economy but we have the best we also have the best currency in the world, the most reliable, stable and accepted our political system while it is clearly flawed is more stable than most. Your friends are visitors and will have a visitors perspective and like i tried to tell you in other threads the well being of most of the so called first world NATIONS is based on the well being of america.

Our cultural influence is the biggest around the world without a doubt and our economy is really good at creating part time jobs now according to what I read in the news lol, I guess it's better then no jobs being created but still, I'm far from impressed and most Americans aren't impressed either. This country isn't the land of moving ahead as it used to be, older people tell me this and I firmly believe them. The state of Black America in many ways has gone backwards.

Americans also think the country is on the wrong track economically and America isn't the land of opportunity it used to be and polls from 2015 tell the same story. Don't take my word for it, ask the CEO of Gallup what he thinks, him and his people poll people for a living and so do some of my analyst friends, America may be great in many ways but it's falling off in many ways too. And the well being of other nations around the world doesn't revolve around America's military, there are plenty of nations around the world with big militaries and nukes that can take care of themselves.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/chairman/181469/big-lie-unemployment.aspx

There's no other way to say this. The official unemployment rate, which cruelly overlooks the suffering of the long-term and often permanently unemployed as well as the depressingly underemployed, amounts to a Big Lie.

And it's a lie that has consequences, because the great American dream is to have a good job, and in recent years, America has failed to deliver that dream more than it has at any time in recent memory. A good job is an individual's primary identity, their very self-worth, their dignity -- it establishes the relationship they have with their friends, community and country. When we fail to deliver a good job that fits a citizen's talents, training and experience, we are failing the great American dream.

Right now, as many as 30 million Americans are either out of work or severely underemployed. Trust me, the vast majority of them aren't throwing parties to toast "falling" unemployment.
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options

Our cultural influence is the biggest around the world without a doubt and our economy is really good at creating part time jobs now according to what I read in the news lol, I guess it's better then no jobs being created but still, I'm far from impressed and most Americans aren't impressed either. This country isn't the land of moving ahead as it used to be, older people tell me this and I firmly believe them. The state of Black America in many ways has gone backwards.

Americans also think the country is on the wrong track economically and America isn't the land of opportunity it used to be and polls from 2015 tell the same story. Don't take my word for it, ask the CEO of Gallup what he thinks, him and his people poll people for a living and so do some of my analyst friends, America may be great in many ways but it's falling off in many ways too. And the well being of other nations around the world doesn't revolve around America's military, there are plenty of nations around the world with big militaries and nukes that can take care of themselves.

There's no other way to say this. The official unemployment rate, which cruelly overlooks the suffering of the long-term and often permanently unemployed as well as the depressingly underemployed, amounts to a Big Lie.

And it's a lie that has consequences, because the great American dream is to have a good job, and in recent years, America has failed to deliver that dream more than it has at any time in recent memory. A good job is an individual's primary identity, their very self-worth, their dignity -- it establishes the relationship they have with their friends, community and country. When we fail to deliver a good job that fits a citizen's talents, training and experience, we are failing the great American dream.

Right now, as many as 30 million Americans are either out of work or severely underemployed. Trust me, the vast majority of them aren't throwing parties to toast "falling" unemployment.

dog you always bring up what americans think but like I've told you a million times the average American is an idiot or cannot see past his own nose many also have unrealistic expectation of how life should be. the real unemployment rate has always and most likely will always be higher than what the official numbers says.

older people idealize the past but the past was not what they remembered to begin with, the economy was worse in the 70's and the 80's had a ? wars in the black community. you are wrong no military on earth can do what the usa does we have a global scope and for the most part the other nations don't do ? militarily that we do not co-sign except maybe Israel and Russia. Europe is silent they only talk, very little action

the usa ensures a certain world stability in the world if not for the usa, china would be bullying the whole of asia japan would go full offensive and south korea might just be at war with the north. the middle east would be even more ? up and Russia would feel even less constrained in it's aggressive actions.
  • zombie
    Options
    the American economy would be doing even better if people would stop ? and crying look at unemployment in spain, france, portugal and greece,Russia.

• kingblaze84
    Options

dog you always bring up what americans think but like I've told you a million times the average American is an idiot or cannot see past his own nose many also have unrealistic expectation of how life should be. the real unemployment rate has always and most likely will always be higher than what the official numbers says.

older people idealize the past but the past was not what they remembered to begin with, the economy was worse in the 70's and the 80's had a ? wars in the black community. you are wrong no military on earth can do what the usa does we have a global scope and for the most part the other nations don't do ? militarily that we do not co-sign except maybe Israel and Russia. Europe is silent they only talk, very little action

the usa ensures a certain world stability in the world if not for the usa, china would be bullying the whole of asia japan would go full offensive and south korea might just be at war with the north. the middle east would be even more ? up and Russia would feel even less constrained in it's aggressive actions.

I know America plays some good roles in the world and things could be worse obviously but the polls are speaking for themselves. Not sure why people would say what they say and not mean it if they're older. The 80s were definitely worse but the numbers speak for themselves on how many Americans especially Blacks have lost ground in this country, and not just financially. We already know how America's justice system is something of a fraud these days.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What are your thoughts on this? Malcolm was right. We're living the result of Martin's dream and pieces are okay and pieces are a nightmare. Ultimately we are not a sovereign people and are dependent and discriminated against by the majority and will FOREVER be.

How can one fight for something they don't believe in? Don't know to answer the question. But I can see why someone would fight to make something better for themselves and their children if they believe in fighting to do so.

Why would someone fight for something they believe will ultimately destroy the people they are supposedly fighting for? Good question.
    1st answer-to slow down the destruction process and hopefully/hope that you can alter the inevitable or lessen the blow.
    Let me see it this way. Why would I fight for the military or work with the government which have been institutions dedicated to not caring about my personal interests, representing me and have in many ways contributed and initiated violence upon me?
    Well, if I don't become a policeman then I leave it up to someone else with an evil agenda to police my neighborhood.
    Well, if the military has jets, missiles, nuclear weapons and I'm not there to see the plans then I have no access to the weapons if they decide to use them on me.
    Well, if I'm not in the government to change laws and reduce drug laws and get streets built in my neighborhood then someone else will use my tax dollars and continue to make laws against me without any retaliation.
    Well, if you just need a job or find college tuition will be paid by certain agencies and give you the means to travel internationally then this is an option as well as working for a Bank or Insurance company when you look at the history of racism between those institutions also. Even school itself has discriminated. The question is how pro-militant are you and where do you join the system?

Overrall our power and fight/punch is a jab in boxing against a heavyweight. We see it, we know it. But, things could be worse if some of us were not fighting at all or all of us just quit. No minority in ANY country during the history of all mankind that was originally oppressed in that country has EVER risen to overthrow the powerstructure or receive real equal opportunity while remaining in that country. In this respect, BLACKS in AMerica are no different. It hasn't happened. It won't happen. That's a fact.
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on this? Malcolm was right. We're living the result of Martin's dream and pieces are okay and pieces are a nightmare. Ultimately we are not a sovereign people and are dependent and discriminated against by the majority and will FOREVER be.

How can one fight for something they don't believe in? Don't know to answer the question. But I can see why someone would fight to make something better for themselves and their children if they believe in fighting to do so.

Why would someone fight for something they believe will ultimately destroy the people they are supposedly fighting for? Good question.
    1st answer-to slow down the destruction process and hopefully/hope that you can alter the inevitable or lessen the blow.
    Let me see it this way. Why would I fight for the military or work with the government which have been institutions dedicated to not caring about my personal interests, representing me and have in many ways contributed and initiated violence upon me?
    Well, if I don't become a policeman then I leave it up to someone else with an evil agenda to police my neighborhood.
    Well, if the military has jets, missiles, nuclear weapons and I'm not there to see the plans then I have no access to the weapons if they decide to use them on me.
    Well, if I'm not in the government to change laws and reduce drug laws and get streets built in my neighborhood then someone else will use my tax dollars and continue to make laws against me without any retaliation.
    Well, if you just need a job or find college tuition will be paid by certain agencies and give you the means to travel internationally then this is an option as well as working for a Bank or Insurance company when you look at the history of racism between those institutions also. Even school itself has discriminated. The question is how pro-militant are you and where do you join the system?

Overrall our power and fight/punch is a jab in boxing against a heavyweight. We see it, we know it. But, things could be worse if some of us were not fighting at all or all of us just quit. No minority in ANY country during the history of all mankind that was originally oppressed in that country has EVER risen to overthrow the powerstructure or receive real equal opportunity while remaining in that country. In this respect, BLACKS in AMerica are no different. It hasn't happened. It won't happen. That's a fact.

In short, yes you are right. We only make up 13% of the population and to be honest, I think we've accomplished a lot for our overall small percentage in this country. And we can only do so much against the structure, Black Panthers tried and they got shut down. Betrayals from within ? them up, among other factors. Blacks saw that and lost a little hope of getting better change. Militancy on needed occasions of course should be used when the time is right. We always have to be ready to protect ourselves though, there's no telling what devils may do one day.

The next best option really is bettering our education levels, I've seen many success stories. And when things in America get even worse and more expensive down the line, if possible, make plans to move to another nation or at least be around people who make good decisions in life. Including oneself.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sElection season is here.

Let's not forget.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Garvey was beyond Malcolm. He was the most correct one.