Who the posters in here 38 and up

Options

Comments

• Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sometimes I think the Older Hip Hop heads failed the younger ones in terms of schoolin them about dope rap, influences, etc. Back in the day We had credible publications and Dj's music programming, and music personality's etc that gave you a guide to what's quality and it also guided other artist for the most part.
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm 46 and proud to have made it this far. I've seen a lotta ? come and go as far as hip hop goes and I enjoy being involved in passionate debates or conversations about hiphop.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kalecrunch wrote: »
    Sometimes I think the Older Hip Hop heads failed the younger ones in terms of schoolin them about dope rap, influences, etc. Back in the day We had credible publications and Dj's music programming, and music personality's etc that gave you a guide to what's quality and it also guided other artist for the most part.

Actually they were doing that but the audience changed and younger cats were on something different. That's how it goes in all music forms. How jazz went to blues, to r & b to funk to hip hop. But as new things usher in people say the older stuff was wack. Sad to say, but that's how it is
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah well there was a thread last week about the hottest 80s rap albums and I'm one of the few people that contributed to it. I mean, the IC got a classics vault but they refuse to add any 80s rap albums, like as if 5 Mic classics started with The Chronic.

For me, the most humbling thing about the internet is being able to go back and find stuff that came out before my time. I grew up in the 80s but I was only a kid. I graduated in 91. But there's stuff on the internet like Ego Trip's book of rap lists that lists all the hot ? from 1979-1998. I can remember getting those mp3s on a data file and spending the next couple of months trying to make sense of all the stuff that came out in the early 80s that I didn't really remember firsthand.

Also, we all know that Hip Hop started in the parks in The Bronx. But there's so many live shows from 80-81 that people taped in the early days at clubs like The Audobon Ballroom, the T-Connection, The Ecstacy Garage, The Executive Playhouse, Harlem World and The Fever. Tapes like these give you an idea of what a Hip Hop show was like, how people rhymed, the difference between the freestyle MCs and the more polished crews that had routines. If you've heard the Kool Moe Dee vs Busy B tape, just imagine there's hundreds of tapes circulating like that and in the early days, cats in The Bronx and Harlem used to buy those tapes like we buy mixtapes and albums now. Mind you, there was no internet back then so if one of your buddies had the Busy B vs Kool Moe Dee battle on tape, you'd want a copy of it and you'd probably be willing to pay $10-$20 for it.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some of these cats gon log out the IC head downstairs for dinner and find tomp or mike malice at the dinnter table and be like "Man not my momma why you messing with my momma!"
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Here's Ego Trip's list of the Top 40 Rap singles by year from 1979-1998

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/ego_trip_page1.htm

And here is tapemaster Troy L Smith's list of old school tapes.

http://www.thafoundation.com/troylist2.htm
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is true. Everything bad about hip hop was started by 70s and 80s babies.
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BlackGerald that song was actually really good.
    Respect
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the old heads didnt fail ? , man up and stop making ? excuse, blame yall momma and daddy. ? as a youngin we had old heads and the old heads snatched us up and kick game, yeah we might talked ? , calling them old heads and ? , but we listen to what they say, yall muthafuckas dont listen worth ? , think you know everything.

how do you think we know about blues, jazz, soul music old heads hip us to it, we listen respect those that came before us and ;LISTEN..
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of the better mcs are middle to late thirties to early fourties!
    A few in early thirties..

The new rappers rap like silver spoon kids, the old school rappers rapped like making something outta nothing comin up from the the streets!
  • king hassan
    Options
    Truth be told to the young cats, if your parents were just casual listeners and not hard core heads of course you would not know about a lot of stuff. It's a lot of people my age or older that just listened to what was presented, then you had the ones that were deep into it. My nephew is 29 but living in the house with me and my baby brother who is 38 in December, he heard a lot of stuff. My sister is 44 but she's just a casual listener, don't know half that ? out there, so know we did'nt fail, you just needed to be around a hard core head
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Truth be told to the young cats, if your parents were just casual listeners and not hard core heads of course you would not know about a lot of stuff. It's a lot of people my age or older that just listened to what was presented, then you had the ones that were deep into it. My nephew is 29 but living in the house with me and my baby brother who is 38 in December, he heard a lot of stuff. My sister is 44 but she's just a casual listener, don't know half that ? out there, so know we did'nt fail, you just needed to be around a hard core head

That ain't no baby lol
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Yeah well there was a thread last week about the hottest 80s rap albums and I'm one of the few people that contributed to it. I mean, the IC got a classics vault but they refuse to add any 80s rap albums, like as if 5 Mic classics started with The Chronic.

For me, the most humbling thing about the internet is being able to go back and find stuff that came out before my time. I grew up in the 80s but I was only a kid. I graduated in 91. But there's stuff on the internet like Ego Trip's book of rap lists that lists all the hot ? from 1979-1998. I can remember getting those mp3s on a data file and spending the next couple of months trying to make sense of all the stuff that came out in the early 80s that I didn't really remember firsthand.

Also, we all know that Hip Hop started in the parks in The Bronx. But there's so many live shows from 80-81 that people taped in the early days at clubs like The Audobon Ballroom, the T-Connection, The Ecstacy Garage, The Executive Playhouse, Harlem World and The Fever. Tapes like these give you an idea of what a Hip Hop show was like, how people rhymed, the difference between the freestyle MCs and the more polished crews that had routines. If you've heard the Kool Moe Dee vs Busy B tape, just imagine there's hundreds of tapes circulating like that and in the early days, cats in The Bronx and Harlem used to buy those tapes like we buy mixtapes and albums now. Mind you, there was no internet back then so if one of your buddies had the Busy B vs Kool Moe Dee battle on tape, you'd want a copy of it and you'd probably be willing to pay $10-$20 for it.

Wayment...the IC's Vault thread doesn't have Eric B & Rakim's Paid In Full in it?!
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rahlow wrote: »
    "scram kid, ya bothers me son..."

Nah but I'm 40 doin what cats my age do... i'm always in slow motion, dig? A ? my age is supposed to be loungin, cruising through life steered off into the ? lane.

I'd be damn if I was some age 20's introvert spending the best of my youth years on a forum complaining about why us older heads are still posting. (think about that for a sec)

I would think you younger cats would be the most casual of posters being that you're too busy getting real life experiences under your belt instead of hearing about it in social media. None of this ? was around when we was out there in that scenery you cats only hear about but could never recreate or emulate.

Been there, done that, game over...

If you not a big dog get your puppy ass off the porch!

Ya'll talk about it while we live(d) it.

I agree but Times have also changed tho.
    I can't speak for anybody else my age but when I post I'm usually in class bored as hell, at work bored or when I'm typing up a paper for class.
    I barely even post from a laptop so all my replies are from my phone when I'm on the go.
    I'm never at the crib I'm usually hooping, with my bad ? or at somebody party messing with these freaks.
    I'm always trying to get into something bc I know when that career hit a ? gon be locked in.
    I'm in college it would be asinine to be locked away in the crib all day.
    It's sad bc ? my age aren't as social as I am. They see a bad chick and they trying to talk to her over the internet.
    ? that I'm trying to get to know you right here right now.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is ? ... the youth control whats popular from clothes to music.... If yall didnt support tight clothes and ? content in rap the 70's and 80's head u claim started wouldnt be doing it.
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? was started by old heads....
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »

this is ? ... the youth control whats popular from clothes to music.... If yall didnt support tight clothes and ? content in rap the 70's and 80's head u claim started wouldnt be doing it.

exactly. you 70s and 80s babies gave hip hop away during your youth

waterproof wrote: »

the old heads didnt fail ? , man up and stop making ? excuse, blame yall momma and daddy. ? as a youngin we had old heads and the old heads snatched us up and kick game, yeah we might talked ? , calling them old heads and ? , but we listen to what they say, yall muthafuckas dont listen worth ? , think you know everything.

how do you think we know about blues, jazz, soul music old heads hip us to it, we listen respect those that came before us and ;LISTEN..

my parents are of the late 50s/early 60s generation, they don't even listen to hip hop, i play mutiple instruments listen to mutiple genres and guarantee i know more about music than you. So try again.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Wayment...the IC's Vault thread doesn't have Eric B & Rakim's Paid In Full in it?!

OK, so out of the hundreds of rap albums that came out in the 80s, there's one album. And truth be told, Paid in Full isn't even the best 80s rap album.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im 40 ish...oldest child is 19 and soph. in college. happy to still be involved in hip hop culture and respect all the young ones that love and live this.
  • king hassan
    Options

OK, so out of the hundreds of rap albums that came out in the 80s, there's one album. And truth be told, Paid in Full isn't even the best 80s rap album.

Yeah its a lot more that came out, EPMD, PE, NWA, Too Short, D.O.C., LL Cool J, Special Ed, Salt & Pepa, BDK, Biz Markie, MC Lyte, MC Hammer, 2 Live Crew, that's just off the top
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

PAID IN FULL is the 80s ILLMATIC !!!!! that ? is as close as a perfect album as your gonna get from the 80s ... most of them albums were filled with filler ....
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »

PAID IN FULL is the 80s ILLMATIC !!!!! that ? is as close as a perfect album as your gonna get from the 80s ... most of them albums were filled with filler ....

Personally, I'd say that the 80s Illmatic was either Run DMC's self titled album because it was the first true 5 mic rap album. Or It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back because they pushed the level of production up a few notches. No disrespect to Eric B and Rakim but Paid in Full had a lot of filler. "Eric B is President" and "My Melody" were a year old when the album dropped and the remixes were pretty lame compared to the Original 12" versions. "I Know You Got Soul" was six months old when the album came out. "Chinese Arithmatic" and "Eric B is On The Cut" had the exact same beat and both songs were considered wack at the time. "Extended Beat" was just a "Move The Crowd" instrumental. When you get down to it, Paid in Full only had 4 new songs.

Criminal Minded was closer to being the 80s Illmatic. Or maybe one of LL Cool J's albums.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 80's illmatic is ultramagnetic MC's Critical Beatdown one of the greatest album in hip hop ever. The abstract lyrical ? b boy rhymes was on some other ? that had ? heads ? up and the genius of Ced Gee and innovation of production changed hip hip forever.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why 38 though? That's such a random age to select
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    The 80's illmatic is ultramagnetic MC's Critical Beatdown one of the greatest album in hip hop ever. The abstract lyrical ? b boy rhymes was on some other ? that had ? heads ? up and the genius of Ced Gee and innovation of production changed hip hip forever.

Yeah, Critical Beatdown was a production masterpiece. But I wouldn't call Kool Keith and Ced Gee's lyrics comparable to Nas on Illmatic.