• antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    antarticp wrote: »
    Kalecrunch wrote: »
    Sometimes I think the Older Hip Hop heads failed the younger ones in terms of schoolin them about dope rap, influences, etc. Back in the day We had credible publications and Dj's music programming, and music personality's etc that gave you a guide to what's quality and it also guided other artist for the most part.

Yeah well there was a thread last week about the hottest 80s rap albums and I'm one of the few people that contributed to it. I mean, the IC got a classics vault but they refuse to add any 80s rap albums, like as if 5 Mic classics started with The Chronic.

For me, the most humbling thing about the internet is being able to go back and find stuff that came out before my time. I grew up in the 80s but I was only a kid. I graduated in 91. But there's stuff on the internet like Ego Trip's book of rap lists that lists all the hot ? from 1979-1998. I can remember getting those mp3s on a data file and spending the next couple of months trying to make sense of all the stuff that came out in the early 80s that I didn't really remember firsthand.

Also, we all know that Hip Hop started in the parks in The Bronx. But there's so many live shows from 80-81 that people taped in the early days at clubs like The Audobon Ballroom, the T-Connection, The Ecstacy Garage, The Executive Playhouse, Harlem World and The Fever. Tapes like these give you an idea of what a Hip Hop show was like, how people rhymed, the difference between the freestyle MCs and the more polished crews that had routines. If you've heard the Kool Moe Dee vs Busy B tape, just imagine there's hundreds of tapes circulating like that and in the early days, cats in The Bronx and Harlem used to buy those tapes like we buy mixtapes and albums now. Mind you, there was no internet back then so if one of your buddies had the Busy B vs Kool Moe Dee battle on tape, you'd want a copy of it and you'd probably be willing to pay $10-$20 for it.

Wayment...the IC's Vault thread doesn't have Eric B & Rakim's Paid In Full in it?!

OK, so out of the hundreds of rap albums that came out in the 80s, there's one album. And truth be told, Paid in Full isn't even the best 80s rap album.

PAID IN FULL is the 80s ILLMATIC !!!!! that ? is as close as a perfect album as your gonna get from the 80s ... most of them albums were filled with filler ....

Personally, I'd say that the 80s Illmatic was either Run DMC's self titled album because it was the first true 5 mic rap album. Or It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back because they pushed the level of production up a few notches. No disrespect to Eric B and Rakim but Paid in Full had a lot of filler. "Eric B is President" and "My Melody" were a year old when the album dropped and the remixes were pretty lame compared to the Original 12" versions. "I Know You Got Soul" was six months old when the album came out. "Chinese Arithmatic" and "Eric B is On The Cut" had the exact same beat and both songs were considered wack at the time. "Extended Beat" was just a "Move The Crowd" instrumental. When you get down to it, Paid in Full only had 4 new songs.

Criminal Minded was closer to being the 80s Illmatic. Or maybe one of LL Cool J's albums.

ill give you all of that but i cant agree with the criminal minded comment ... but ill give you that cause i was a super younging thru those times ... i was born 1980 .....

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is the GOAT album of the '80's. Prolly even all time.
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    Sometimes I think the Older Hip Hop heads failed the younger ones in terms of schoolin them about dope rap, influences, etc. Back in the day We had credible publications and Dj's music programming, and music personality's etc that gave you a guide to what's quality and it also guided other artist for the most part.

Yeah well there was a thread last week about the hottest 80s rap albums and I'm one of the few people that contributed to it. I mean, the IC got a classics vault but they refuse to add any 80s rap albums, like as if 5 Mic classics started with The Chronic.

For me, the most humbling thing about the internet is being able to go back and find stuff that came out before my time. I grew up in the 80s but I was only a kid. I graduated in 91. But there's stuff on the internet like Ego Trip's book of rap lists that lists all the hot ? from 1979-1998. I can remember getting those mp3s on a data file and spending the next couple of months trying to make sense of all the stuff that came out in the early 80s that I didn't really remember firsthand.

Also, we all know that Hip Hop started in the parks in The Bronx. But there's so many live shows from 80-81 that people taped in the early days at clubs like The Audobon Ballroom, the T-Connection, The Ecstacy Garage, The Executive Playhouse, Harlem World and The Fever. Tapes like these give you an idea of what a Hip Hop show was like, how people rhymed, the difference between the freestyle MCs and the more polished crews that had routines. If you've heard the Kool Moe Dee vs Busy B tape, just imagine there's hundreds of tapes circulating like that and in the early days, cats in The Bronx and Harlem used to buy those tapes like we buy mixtapes and albums now. Mind you, there was no internet back then so if one of your buddies had the Busy B vs Kool Moe Dee battle on tape, you'd want a copy of it and you'd probably be willing to pay $10-$20 for it.

Wayment...the IC's Vault thread doesn't have Eric B & Rakim's Paid In Full in it?!

OK, so out of the hundreds of rap albums that came out in the 80s, there's one album. And truth be told, Paid in Full isn't even the best 80s rap album.

lol, relax...it was MY fave and the first one that came to mind...and I rarely hit the thread, which was why I asked the question in the first place
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? remind me of a barbershop in the 90s
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why 38 though? That's such a random age to select
    Cuz im 40 and it's my thread
    B-) lol
  • king hassan
    Options
    Talk about growing up in it, us old heads were ther in the beginning, hiphop not really old and most rappers were our age. Most in they 40's early 50's now.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    The 80's illmatic is ultramagnetic MC's Critical Beatdown one of the greatest album in hip hop ever. The abstract lyrical ? b boy rhymes was on some other ? that had ? heads ? up and the genius of Ced Gee and innovation of production changed hip hip forever.

Yeah, Critical Beatdown was a production masterpiece. But I wouldn't call Kool Keith and Ced Gee's lyrics comparable to Nas on Illmatic.

I have to disagree with you on that because Nas on Illmatic was on some poetry storytelling novel ? , Ced Gee and Kool Keith was on some emcee, Pseudoscientific, battling, abstract terminology, high science with braggadocio ? that whole album every song they didn't let up once on the rhymes

• Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Source Mag in 1998 on their GOAT issue with LL on the cover had Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation... LP at the #1 for Best Album of All Time. Illmatic was at 5. But had Illmatic at #1 for Greatest Debut of All Time. And Nas Verbal Intercourse greatest verse at #5 of All Time. I wonder if at this point Illmatic should be officialy #1 All Time. The context of PEs LP has changed after time possibly in terms of imprtance compared to Nas Illmatic.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Source Mag in 1998 on their GOAT issue with LL on the cover had Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation... LP at the #1 for Best Album of All Time. Illmatic was at 5. But had Illmatic at #1 for Greatest Debut of All Time. And Nas Verbal Intercourse greatest verse at #5 of All Time. I wonder if at this point Illmatic should be officialy #1 All Time. The context of PEs LP has changed after time possibly in terms of imprtance compared to Nas Illmatic.

Interesting point. I remember that issue. I wonder how many people on the IC have even heard It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back?

If you ask me, both albums are 5 mics but I'd rank It Takes a Nation of Millions higher on the production end but I'd rank Illmatic higher for lyrics. But those just might be the #1 and #2 rap albums. Definately top 10 from an objective point of view.
  • UniversaldjSun
    UniversaldjSun Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Proud to be est1970. Still teaching and learning...Love/Respect is key.
  • king hassan
    Options

Interesting point. I remember that issue. I wonder how many people on the IC have even heard It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back?

If you ask me, both albums are 5 mics but I'd rank It Takes a Nation of Millions higher on the production end but I'd rank Illmatic higher for lyrics. But those just might be the #1 and #2 rap albums. Definately top 10 from an objective point of view.

the Bomb Squad was on a whole nother level with the production on ITANOM, ? was just, I can't explain it. And they did'nt slack on Fear of a Black Planet either. That's why Cube went to NYC to record Amerikkka's Most Wanted which to me is his best album, production and lyrics wise.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    I'm 31 the first rap song i ever heard was from the FATBOYS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJewbFZHI34

bruh... Whatchu know about seeing the Fat Boys' first interview on BET. Donnie Simpson had them perform and The Human Beatbox started breakdancin by spinning on his ? stomach and ?