The Wire (Revisted)

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    They need to make a prequel...

this is what most ppl dont get.... David Simon mentioned that season 4 and 5 are essentially and to be watched as a prequel

That doesn't make a lot of sense. I can see that the kids lives mirrored the older dudes, but their stories aren't the same as what we'd get in a true sequel.

remove ur connections to the actual characters... He is presenting it as this is what these indivifuals went tgrough to be where these characters are today.... For example bubbles right... He is saying that if u wanna know what happened to Bubbles early life for him to become who he became ....see Dookies story... Its not directly that Bubbles is ? .... But the similarities and correlations in their experience

No, I get that. What I'm saying is that based on what we know about the older characters, their lives are different enough that seeing a prequel is still worthwhile. For example, which of those kids is Avon? None of them had a life similar to his. How did Avon and Stringer really rise to power? Where did Prop Joe come from? We saw the short of him as a kid, but none of the kids really was like him. The point I'm making is that Seasons 4 and 5 show how the dynamics at play in Baltimore can change kids into people like Avon, Omar, or Marlo, but I don't really agree that it's the same as saying that we've seen Avon, Omar, and Marlo's early stories. That's just a cop out.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is what most ppl dont get.... David Simon mentioned that season 4 and 5 are essentially and to be watched as a prequel

That doesn't make a lot of sense. I can see that the kids lives mirrored the older dudes, but their stories aren't the same as what we'd get in a true sequel.

remove ur connections to the actual characters... He is presenting it as this is what these indivifuals went tgrough to be where these characters are today.... For example bubbles right... He is saying that if u wanna know what happened to Bubbles early life for him to become who he became ....see Dookies story... Its not directly that Bubbles is ? .... But the similarities and correlations in their experience

No, I get that. What I'm saying is that based on what we know about the older characters, their lives are different enough that seeing a prequel is still worthwhile. For example, which of those kids is Avon? None of them had a life similar to his. How did Avon and Stringer really rise to power? Where did Prop Joe come from? We saw the short of him as a kid, but none of the kids really was like him. The point I'm making is that Seasons 4 and 5 show how the dynamics at play in Baltimore can change kids into people like Avon, Omar, or Marlo, but I don't really agree that it's the same as saying that we've seen Avon, Omar, and Marlo's early stories. That's just a cop out.

David Simon has always alluded to the fact that we should not focus on the characters but the " institutions" that they represent
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A prequel to what?
  • Beta
    Options
    Nvm u explained it...but I'm trying to see young Avon boxing and busting his guns

• The Lonious Monk
    Options

David Simon has always alluded to the fact that we should not focus on the characters but the " institutions" that they represent

I get that, but that's his perspective. I think most fans of the show would disagree with that given we all like the characters.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The story of how the actor who played McNulty got that part is EPIC.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    respectfully speaking, the 'its to be viewed as a prequal' angle is rather preposterous. Even if David Simon said it (after the fact btw, i dont think he created the show w/ that in mind)

I think we can leave it as 'see: the cycle continues' as far as ? becoming similar to Bubbles, Mike becoming similar to a straight Omar, etc.

Its lazy and a disservice to the character arcs of so many to just say 'its a prequal' on some mind bending second world type ? . Nah, thas not what the Wire is about.

Bc there are no parallels fore some great characters: who from the OG crew is like Naymond? Who from the OG crew is like Randy!?!?! You cant pidgeon-whole Rnady! His story needs to stand alone. The Wire is what it is bc of it's specificity, so just saYing any of the lil dudes' stories can be intertwined with the older character's childhoods would go against everything the show is about.
  • the Hamburgler
    the Hamburgler Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options
    Naymond could be an example how a "Stringer Bell" came to be. He obviously had street upbringings and connections, but wasn't built for the street life, got out, got educated and could have come back to run an empire with his childhood connects.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    respectfully speaking, the 'its to be viewed as a prequal' angle is rather preposterous. Even if David Simon said it (after the fact btw, i dont think he created the show w/ that in mind)

I think we can leave it as 'see: the cycle continues' as far as ? becoming similar to Bubbles, Mike becoming similar to a straight Omar, etc.

Its lazy and a disservice to the character arcs of so many to just say 'its a prequal' on some mind bending second world type ? . Nah, thas not what the Wire is about.

Bc there are no parallels fore some great characters: who from the OG crew is like Naymond? Who from the OG crew is like Randy!?!?! You cant pidgeon-whole Rnady! His story needs to stand alone. The Wire is what it is bc of it's specificity, so just saYing any of the lil dudes' stories can be intertwined with the older character's childhoods would go against everything the show is about.

Namond- Clay Davis

Randy- Wallace
  • Beta
    Options
    Man ? that would y'all like to see how these characters came to be or not?

Young Omar before he discovered boy ? , boxing Avon using his fam to start to rise to power, prop Joe before he had to get cut out the walls of his apartment, etc ...
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man ? that would y'all like to see how these characters came to be or not?

Young Omar before he discovered boy ? , boxing Avon using his fam to start to rise to power, prop Joe before he had to get cut out the walls of his apartment, etc ...

Absolutely

Young String and Avon
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They already have short prequels for Omar and Prop Joe
  • Beta
    Options
    They already have short prequels for Omar and Prop Joe

I know but I'm talking maybe like another show or a hr long special Idk
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its 40 degrees in detroit and ? is bbq'ing. made me think of the 40 degree day scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttbQTz8tAE
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Random, but I think it was season 4, when Chris and Snoop was hunting them NY ? and they walk up to that one dude in the alley and chris was like "Shake it or jiggle it yo... Who made that track" That ? makes me laugh out loud every time. The way he said shake it and jiggle it to some grown as man was awkward and funny as ? to me. NH.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Random, but I think it was season 4, when Chris and Snoop was hunting them NY ? and they walk up to that one dude in the alley and chris was like "Shake it or jiggle it yo... Who made that track" That ? makes me laugh out loud every time. The way he said shake it and jiggle it to some grown as man was awkward and funny as ? to me. NH.

"Ay who Young Leek be ?"
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »

"Ay who Young Leek be ?"

I would have been killed if they asked me that
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Kennard was a disturbed kid in a ? neighborhood that never got help. Nobody ever told him right from wrong, and just the way he was gonna start that cat on fire in a huge sign of mental illness.

No show has changed my perspective and world view like The Wire. I def think it has made me a more empathetic person.

If more white people saw this show america would be a different place
    9TRAY wrote: »
    ^^

I think most white people are fans of The Wire If they've seen it

? getting approval from white people..
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Kennard was a disturbed kid in a ? neighborhood that never got help. Nobody ever told him right from wrong, and just the way he was gonna start that cat on fire in a huge sign of mental illness.

No show has changed my perspective and world view like The Wire. I def think it has made me a more empathetic person.

If more white people saw this show america would be a different place

@atribecalledgabi How so?
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marlo didnt run up on them. Just random stick up kids who aitn know who he was and they tried to rob him and he fended them off and i think took their gun.

Imo kinda alluding to the fact that the streets continue to move on and no one is immune, and how quickly legends are forgotten. The tatsing of the blood was kinda like 'yea, i love this ? ', maybe hinting at the viewers that he aitn gon be able to sit still/be out the game forever bc he love the ?

Also i thought it was kinda poetic bc throughout him doin all that dirt and bein a boss he never got a scratch, never got shot, nothin (to the dismay of some watchers who were loyal to the Avon/Stringer era like myself-them nggas got shot at, fightin each other, etc). But the day he supposed to be gettin out and he suited n booted is when he finally sees his own blood. Kinda like when a boxer sees his own blood its a sign of his own mortality. Like when Floyd got a ? nose Jim Lmapley damn near ? his pants. 'And something we've never seen before folks...the great Floyd Mayweather is bleeding' lol

Thats just my take

since this is fresh in my mind, this ? Marlo walked across the street to their corner and butted into they convo and said "? you looking at?"

? said "you ? !"

Then Marlo was like do you know who I am? And then blah blah they tried to pull the hammer out then Marlo got cut but knocked the gun out his hands and then did the blood ? .

I do agree with what you said bout the blood thing though. Maybe Marlo wanted to test ? in the streets after finding out Omar kept callin him a ? in the streets

At the end Marlo aint get no street glory,
    people in the streets barely knew who he was..
    Its ironic because his team snatched the most lives,
    went to war with Avon and Omar,
    and took over the whole dope game..
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    Marlo didnt run up on them. Just random stick up kids who aitn know who he was and they tried to rob him and he fended them off and i think took their gun.

Imo kinda alluding to the fact that the streets continue to move on and no one is immune, and how quickly legends are forgotten. The tatsing of the blood was kinda like 'yea, i love this ? ', maybe hinting at the viewers that he aitn gon be able to sit still/be out the game forever bc he love the ?

Also i thought it was kinda poetic bc throughout him doin all that dirt and bein a boss he never got a scratch, never got shot, nothin (to the dismay of some watchers who were loyal to the Avon/Stringer era like myself-them nggas got shot at, fightin each other, etc). But the day he supposed to be gettin out and he suited n booted is when he finally sees his own blood. Kinda like when a boxer sees his own blood its a sign of his own mortality. Like when Floyd got a ? nose Jim Lmapley damn near ? his pants. 'And something we've never seen before folks...the great Floyd Mayweather is bleeding' lol

Thats just my take

since this is fresh in my mind, this ? Marlo walked across the street to their corner and butted into they convo and said "? you looking at?"

? said "you ? !"

Then Marlo was like do you know who I am? And then blah blah they tried to pull the hammer out then Marlo got cut but knocked the gun out his hands and then did the blood ? .

I do agree with what you said bout the blood thing though. Maybe Marlo wanted to test ? in the streets after finding out Omar kept callin him a ? in the streets

people in the streets barely knew who he was

You looking at it wrong. In a lot instances young ? like them dudes on that corner know of people like Marlo by name not by face cause they not on his team, in his age bracket or from the same hood.

Look at how far insulated from the corners Marlo, Avon and Stringer was. When they pulled up in the hood or corners everybody knew it was them but only 1-2 people would ever walk up on the car and speak to them.

If Marlo would have asked them young boys if they knew who "Marlo"(by name) was I bet they would answered that they heard of him and his crew.

Hell even Avon had never seen Marlo before and they was beefing heavy.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Thats just my take

? said "you ? !"

You looking at it wrong. In a lot instances young ? like them dudes on that corner know of people like Marlo by name not by face cause they not on his team, in his age bracket or from the same hood.

Look at how far insulated from the corners Marlo, Avon and Stringer was. When they pulled up in the hood or corners everybody knew it was them but only 1-2 people would ever walk up on the car and speak to them.

If Marlo would have asked them young boys if they knew who "Marlo"(by name) was I bet they would answered that they heard of him and his crew.

That's why Marlo was so adamant about his name being respected. At the end of the day though he never rehabilitated it. He left the game as that dude Omar was calling out who never answered the call.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Thats just my take

? said "you ? !"

That's why Marlo was so adamant about his name being respected. At the end of the day though he never rehabilitated it. He left the game as that dude Omar was calling out who never answered the call.

Exactly and Marlo was also mad cause he knew it didn't matter the rep of the person saying his name the fact that his name was being said on some ? like he was sucka had to be addressed.

Marlo did tell them to get the word out that it was money on Omar head and that young ? left Omar brains on that store floor.

Marlo played the game how it was supposed to be played. He was willing to put it all on the line no matter what.

Marlo was a millionaire who was most comfortable amongst the poorest of people. I don't know any millionaires but I do know people who could buy a big house in a good neighborhood but never plan on moving out of the poor neighborhood they grew up in. Even if Marlo left the game he would still want to be around that environment.

People get accustomed to certain environments. I understand it cause its hard leave behind friends who was your friends when 5 of yall could be together as kids and not have $1 between yall but all yall willing to do damn near anything for each other.

Then when you get some money people like you should leave them alone and hang out with people who only want you around because you have money now. ? like that don't make sense to me.