True Detective (HBO) - TV Series

Options

Comments

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    based on promo. looks like Rust finally pulls a Bodie from The Wire and says "Lawyer." and bounces...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KBGFPMbww
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So many questions that are unanswered

1. Will we ever get to see those ? again

2. What the ? actually made Cohle flip the way he did, all depressed and ?

3. Will Marty ever get to skull ? that ?

4. Why in the ? did that biker grab Cohle's ? , and then talking bout he embrace the outlaw life, da ? was that about

5. Will Cohle ever have to ever choke a ? (a la Marty's wife, for that diss she said about him being a husband)

6. Will we ever find out how Cohle daughter died

7. And what the ? ever happened to Cohle and Marty "friendship"
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

4. Why in the ? did that biker grab Cohle's ? , and then talking bout he embrace the outlaw life, da ? was that about

5. Will Cohle ever have to ever choke a ? (a la Marty's wife, for that diss she said about him being a husband)

Lmao. I love how no one actually cares about the case at this point. The writers have done such a fantastic job of making the two main characters interesting, it's more of a case study with a detective plot added in at this point. Not that I'm complaining or criticizing... I love it. It's gonna be hard to top this season if they get new actors for season 2.
  • marc123
    edited February 2014
    Options

Lmao. I love how no one actually cares about the case at this point. The writers have done such a fantastic job of making the two main characters interesting, it's more of a case study with a detective plot added in at this point. Not that I'm complaining or criticizing... I love it. It's gonna be hard to top this season if they get new actors for season 2.

yea. was thinkin about season 2. wonder who they have in my mind. gone be interesting

• Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »

yea. was thinkin about season 2. wonder who they have in my mind. gone be interesting

I thought this was a one season show.
  • marc123
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Peanut_205 wrote: »
    marc123 wrote: »

I thought this was a one season show.

i read online every season will be different crime, with different actors. in a different time.

im interested in the pairing for next season.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh that's cool. ? is really intense right now.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? just gets better and better.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can't wait to see that ass whupping cohle gave marty lol

I love how cohle and marty lied they ? off on that shoot out

I don't see cohle being tha type of ? to be killing random ? and ?

he just has a very cynical, depressing view of life compared to everyone else

I don't really be watching series and ? because I'm just into other ? with my life

but damn if this isn't a great ass show
  • alligatorhalfman
    alligatorhalfman Members Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It's done its work because I'm seriously wonderin whether supernatural ? is at work here. Most occult murder mystery on TV since TWIN PEAKS (obviously a big inspiration for the writer and director). I don't think Cohle did any murders either...I think something he found out and can't talk about has just driven him close to insane. I wouldn't be surprised if come end of episode 8 we don't get all the answers either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcosa *? got the shivers in here*
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had to watch that episode twice. Feel like i missed something. This has become my favourite show in record time.
    i think its marty. i just dont know why i think that. Had that feeling since the 2nd episode.
    Who do you guys think it is? Rusty, marty, other character? Someone we havent seen yet? Place your bets ? .
    Something about marty and his daughters are ? with me. Especially that ? with the dolls. i dunno what it is. im probably over thinking it tho lol.
  • marc123
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Damn. That was a crazy episode.

Seein Rust carrying that limp dead kids body was sad.
    Daughter gettin tag teamed. Lol.
    Hart poppin dude in tha head came outta nowhere. Then other dude blew up. Lol.

But the line of the night was. After Hart kills dude. He asks Cole. "What do we do?". Cole responds "Ah. ? him. Good to see you finally commit to something." TRILL
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    so are they saying Rusty created all these murders to enhance his legend ?

i think there is a police cover up here...

? was implied like the 2nd episode when that Reverend was trying to get a special task force for the case. IIRC he had family ties with the governor and the whole vibe was feeling like Sin City with the Rourkes. Then Rusty recalled how thirsty they were being in trying to get the case. And remember when Rusty was leaving out the office at the end he called the 2 detectives "company men". I think he was implying that someone high up was onto him (Rusty) and had those two investigate.
  • alligatorhalfman
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Some heavy (might label boring depending on who you are) literary and intellectual ? here, but interesting and might help us understand:

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2014/02/16/3292391/true-detective-carcosa/

"Carcosa shows up first in a story by the American writer Ambrose Bierce, “An Inhabitant of Carcosa.” The main character is a nameless resident of the city who wakes up in a place he doesn’t recognize, and desperately tries to find his way home. The landscape he finds himself in is one we might recognize as post-apocalyptic. “Over all the dismal landscape a canopy of low, lead-colored clouds hung like a visible curse,” Bierce’s narrator tells us. “In all this there were a menace and a portent — a hint of evil, an intimation of doom. Bird, beast, or insect there was none. The wind sighed in the bare branches of the dead trees and the gray grass bent to whisper its dread secret to the earth; but no other sound nor motion broke the awful repose of that dismal place.” And in an echo of the tree where Cohle and Hart found Dora Lange, and where Cohle finds the wreath, looking like a portal to another world, “A few blasted trees here and there appeared as leaders in this malevolent conspiracy of silent expectation.”

He encounters a man dressed in skins, and asks him for directions back to Carcosa, but doesn’t get an answer in any language that he recognizes. Ultimately, he comes across what appears to be a grave and discovers that it’s his own. “And then,” he tells us, “I knew that these were ruins of the ancient and famous city of Carcosa.”

In other words, he’s trapped out of time, the memories of his last life lost to him just in the same way that Cohle describes to the detectives in the contemporary section of the story. Whether that means that True Detective is going to end with some sort of tear in the fabric of our reality, or whether the Carcosa story is simply a way of describing what it means to be trapped in the same stories that you’ve told yourself over and over again, as Rust and Marty are doing now with the investigating detectives, we’ll have to wait and see. But the repeated references to the city, and the fact that Reggie Ledoux and his victims were both obsessed with the story suggests that at least some of the characters are trapped in a terrible desolation.

This one is easier to read but also catches some very good observations - I agree with it based on my own intuitions: http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That carcosa ? is confusing as ? . got a ? like...

mindblown.jpg

sometimes it be like that.
  • alligatorhalfman
    edited February 2014
    Options
    And last but not least, interview with the show's writer Nic Pizzolatto about his influences, the character of Cohle, and Cohle's philosophies:

"I’ve put off going into the philosophy Cohle espouses in the early episodes because I don’t want people making assumptions about the character of Cohle, or the ultimate aim of this season. The totality of Cohle’s character and the show’s agenda won’t be clear until the eighth episode has ended. It’s also important to me that the mass audience doesn’t need to know or engage these associations in order to enjoy the show. Likewise, I wouldn’t want any viewers to assume we had some nihilistic agenda, or reduce Cohle to an anti-natalist or nihilist. Cohle is more complicated than that. As I’ve said recently, Cohle may claim to be a nihilist, but an observation of him reveals otherwise. Far from “nothing meaning anything” to him, it’s almost as though everything means too much to him. He’s too passionate, too acutely sensitive, and he cares too much to be labeled a successful nihilist. And in his monologues, don’t we detect a whiff of desperation akin to someone who protests too much? When Cohle speaks of the unspeakable, is it with the same illusory perspective as when Hart speaks about the importance of having rules and boundaries? Perhaps that is what Hart references when he tells Cohle in episode 3, “You sound panicked.”

That doesn’t lessen the potential validity of the ideas he expresses, and that is what I finally think is disturbing about the show so far. It’s not the serial killer that’s unsettling; television shows you far worse than that all the time. What unsettles are the aspects of being human which the show chooses to highlight. That this stuff is being delivered through actors as instantly amiable and comforting as Harrelson and McConaughey makes it doubly subversive. And then I think you’ll find, as we go forward, the show keeps subverting its own subversions.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/02/02/writer-nic-pizzolatto-on-thomas-ligotti-and-the-weird-secrets-of-true-detective/
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This show damn sure knows how to build anticipation.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i have no idea where this show is going.and in TV nowadays that's a rare thing.

Having shifted the time forward so quickly (compared to the slow build up) i guess there will be a focus on the current timeline,which we've only seen in the interviews and i didn't see that being a big thing but with this episode you can tell they're looking to end on a one season thing with a bang....there's just an air of menace about the whole thing which i don't think has burst through yet.

saying that it does feel like a big ? movie than an actual tv show,which is why narratively they can go all out and it could be GOAT.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is just fantastic! Could one of my favorite character in the history of film.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many eps this season? No idea wtf is gonna happen.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man this show is bananas. this ? makes me feel filthy after watching an.episode it has that eerie vibe to it
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yah there is something about this show that makes me sit back afterwards and be like "what the ? did I just watch?"
  • artakartel
    artakartel Members Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Rust with the street sweeper.

ibfkwZqVRgIaJB.gif
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every week this show gets better. I can't believe it. "Captain of the varsity ? team" had me dying. What Martin did seemed totally out of character but when they showed the two girls locked up I can understand why. Rust gave no ? though and agreed he deserved it. Lol at them fabricating that story in 2012 to cover it up.