Official 2014 NBA Draft Thread (the race to the bottom)

Options

Comments

• MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll say this, I think Nik Stauskas is going to surprise a lot of cats in the league, he's sneaky athletic and knock down shooter off the dribble as well.
    This is a deep draft.
    You draft Embiid knowing he's not playing year 1, but super skilled and injury prone. I see him falling no lower than 7. And wouldn't be surprised if his agent is spreading lies so he gets to LALA
  • thagame
    thagame Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll say this, I think Nik Stauskas is going to surprise a lot of cats in the league, he's sneaky athletic and knock down shooter off the dribble as well.
    This is a deep draft.
    You draft Embiid knowing he's not playing year 1, but super skilled and injury prone. I see him falling no lower than 7. And wouldn't be surprised if his agent is spreading lies so he gets to LALA

What I heard is Charlotte is leaning to drafting him or McDermott at 9. That type of shooting especially off the dribble is exactly what Charlotte needs you can't teach that. He will not be a surprise to me as I see him at worse 6th man off the bench automatic buckets off the bench and should fill a need almost from the start.

If my Sixers make no moves in the draft I hope they get him at 10

• Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All this talk don't sleep on my ? Cleanthony Early....
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree, but the question did that witchta state system help him or is he that talented in any system.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree, but the question did that witchta state system help him or is he that talented in any system.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's my Final Mock lottery/Player comp

1. Cleveland Cavs - Andrew Wiggins (Paul George)

2. Milwaukee Bucks - Jabari Parker (Paul Pierce/Carmelo Anthony)

3. Philadelphia 76ers - Dante Exum(*RM Tony Parker)

4. Orlando Magic - Joel Embid - (Hakeem Olajuwon/Andrew Bynum)

5. Utah Jazz - Marcus Smart - (Lance Stevenson)

6. Boston Celtics - Noah Vonleh - (Chris Bosh)

7. Los Angeles Lakers - Julius Randle - (David Lee)

8. Sacramento Kings - Aaron Gordon - (Shawn Marion)

9. Charlotte Hornets - Nick Stauskas - (Kevin Martin)

10. Philadelphia 76ers - Doug McDermott - (Wally Szcerbiak)

11. Denver Nuggets - Gary Harris - (Eric Gordon)

12. Orlando Magic - Elfrid Payton - (Steve Francis)

13. Minnesota Timberwolves - Zach Lavine - (JR Smith)

14. Phoenix Suns - James Young - (Michael Redd)

Mark my words...jabarj will be the best from this draft
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    Here's my Final Mock lottery/Player comp

1. Cleveland Cavs - Andrew Wiggins (Paul George)

2. Milwaukee Bucks - Jabari Parker (Paul Pierce/Carmelo Anthony)

3. Philadelphia 76ers - Dante Exum(*RM Tony Parker)

4. Orlando Magic - Joel Embid - (Hakeem Olajuwon/Andrew Bynum)

5. Utah Jazz - Marcus Smart - (Lance Stevenson)

6. Boston Celtics - Noah Vonleh - (Chris Bosh)

7. Los Angeles Lakers - Julius Randle - (David Lee)

8. Sacramento Kings - Aaron Gordon - (Shawn Marion)

9. Charlotte Hornets - Nick Stauskas - (Kevin Martin)

10. Philadelphia 76ers - Doug McDermott - (Wally Szcerbiak)

11. Denver Nuggets - Gary Harris - (Eric Gordon)

12. Orlando Magic - Elfrid Payton - (Steve Francis)

13. Minnesota Timberwolves - Zach Lavine - (JR Smith)

14. Phoenix Suns - James Young - (Michael Redd)

Mark my words...jabarj will be the best from this draft

Jabari vs the field? Ill take that bet
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    According to Chad Fords "sources" Bari's not impressive workout with the Cavs was on purpose. Hearing he does not want to be drafted by Cleveland.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24595242/report-sixers-magic-jazz-trying-to-acquire-top-2-pick

With news of Joel Embiid's injury and the subsequent surgery a few days ago, the 2014 NBA Draft has been shaken up significantly. It looks like Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins are clearly the two top picks, and several teams were targeting players who now might go higher than expected. The Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic and Utah Jazz, who own the third, fourth and fifth picks, respectively, are all trying to move up, according to ESPN's Chad Ford.

The Cavs received intriguing offers from the Sixers, Magic and Jazz late last week. Each is offering its own high lottery pick plus a veteran. The Cavs could theoretically get either of Thaddeus Young, Arron Afflalo or Derrick Favors and still have a top-5 pick in the draft. It would make it much easier to draft Embiid if you knew you got additional value in the form of a veteran who can help now.

The Bucks also are getting their fair share of trade offers. The Sixers, Magic and Jazz all called them as well, offering similar packages. But it looks unlikely the Bucks are going to trade this pick. They need a franchise player and don't feel they'll get one later in the draft.

At no point over the past season was it easy to acquire a high pick in this year's draft. It's been anticipated as highly as any in recent memory, and it still looks like the strongest crop in a while. Embiid's injury threw the league for a loop, but it'd still presumably take quite the offer to get the Cleveland Cavaliers or Milwaukee Bucks to agree to a trade.

There is always trade chatter in the days leading up to the draft, but this year is a bit different. The Sixers have lots of assets and reportedly target a player, Andrew Wiggins, who will almost certainly not be available at their slot. The Magic are reportedly dangling Arron Afflalo everywhere. The Jazz are picking in a position where there will be several good big men available, but they already have their frontcourt of the future. This doesn't mean any of them will be successful at moving up, but anything can happen between now and Thursday.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Now that Embid is hurt, i got a feeling Exum is gonna make some team get too cute.

I just dont think he's that good, but one of these teams is gonna get too cute and pass on either Jabari or Wiggins for him, or trade down for him...and imo, i think Smart will be a better pro also.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Started watching more and more cutups of UK games after watching the Jalen & Bill's draft podcast.

I think Jalen &....... Simmons (pfft) were really onto something when they pointed out that Randle had become limited in being able to play freely after the earlier part of the season.

Early in the year his game looked more like his HS game. Playing more wide open, pushing the break & running the floor, shooting mid range j's, putting the ball on the floor, facilitating while attacking the basket etc. Don't get it twisted early in the year he used bully tactics in the paint to get buckets too but that was just an aspect of his game rather than his entire game which it became down the stretch.

Jalen said he believed it had to due with Cal making an adjustment for the other players the Harrisons & James Young mainly. The more I watch the more I sense the same. The switch was necessary for a team with that personnel. This makes all the reports from his workouts that say his shot was way better than advertised make sense.

@ 26:30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OezMY55QfRA
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    ^^ wtf is the bat for?
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    @ESPNSteinLine: Immediate focus for Kings, though, is dealing No. 8 pick, which looks increasingly inevitable between now and Thursday's draft proceedings
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Chad Ford @chadfordinsider · 25s
    Sources: Cavs have some interest in the Magic's offer of Afflalo, No. 4 & No. 12 pick for No. 1

:-?
  • S2J
    Options
    ^^^Thats the thing im talkin bout gettin cute. , If Jabari and Wiggins are as advertised, no one will remember Afflalo, the 12th pick, or maybe even the 4th. They will just remember you passed on a all star or maybe even a Hall of famer

No one cares that Detroit didnt need a sf when they passed on Melo
    No one remembers that Atlanta got a good few years out of Marvin Williams , they just remeber they passed on cp3 and deron williams
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    ^^^Thats the thing im talkin bout gettin cute. , If Jabari and Wiggins are as advertised, no one will remember Afflalo, the 12th pick, or maybe even the 4th. They will just remember you passed on a all star or maybe even a Hall of famer

No one remembers that Atlanta got a good few years out of Marvin Williams , they just remeber they passed on cp3 and deron williams

That's giving up a lot tho especially considering Afflalo could potentially get us the 9th pick. We would basically be trading Embid + Gordon + Payton for Jabari/Wiggins... ? I don't know.. I trust our GM with my life tho.. ? been on a hot streak since trading Dwight so whatever move we make I'm behind 100%
  • thagame
    Options
    Chad Ford @chadfordinsider · 25s
    Sources: Cavs have some interest in the Magic's offer of Afflalo, No. 4 & No. 12 pick for No. 1

:-?

Go head and do it lol. I want to see my Sixers move up from 10. I sort of feel like after the top 8 the dropoff in talent is kind of bunched. The 12 is like a throw away. Maybe they go Vonleh first and a pg like Payton. So if they feel Wiggins and Parker are better than those two and a pg can easily be picked up via free agency.
  • S2J
    Options

That's giving up a lot tho especially considering Afflalo could potentially get us the 9th pick. We would basically be trading Embid + Gordon + Payton for Jabari/Wiggins... ? I don't know.. I trust our GM with my life tho.. ? been on a hot streak since trading Dwight so whatever move we make I'm behind 100%

If im orlando i do it. Im not high at all on Afflalo. He's easily replaceable in free agency.

Embid's injury changes everything. Before there was no need to go from 4 to 1 (if you're high on exum), but now? Thats a come up.

• S2J
    Options
    W/ talks of teams trading down or taking Exum ahead of Jabari, i cant help but think Jabari being reminiscent of Melo, and Melo having a somewhat bad perception of just a scorer (despite being a lock HOFer), is effecting GMs.

Imo its a huge mistake.
  • thagame
    Options
    Orlando is going all in on a player. I believe that is Wiggins. 4 plus 12 plus Afflao. Is a huge trade either way.
    They were willing to let Afflao walk for a trade but Afflao is worth a future first round pick. So you basically saying Wiggins will be better than 3 first round picks.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know what the bulls gonna do tomorrow as far as trading or keeping the picks.I read they tryin to trade up draft staukas,mcbuckets or gary harris.If not they'd probably pick shabazz napier or james young but if they're still there.I'd prefer they keep the picks if they can't trade up,if they trade em or draft a euro who won't be in the nba for 2-3 years then they have a very strong shot at melo.
  • S2J
    Options
    Lol ESPN poll on who will be best PF:

Randle: 54%
    Gordon: 25%
    Vonleh: 20%

They remind me of yall. Following the hype Lol

By the measurements, numbers, skill sets, and way the NBA game is played, I'll be shocked if Vonleh isn't the best PF. Gordon is Darius Miles. Randle is Corliss Williamson...Rodney Rogers.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand how Jabari isn't the clear cut number one. Just stop with the dumb ? Cleveland.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    thagame wrote: »
    Orlando is going all in on a player. I believe that is Wiggins. 4 plus 12 plus Afflao. Is a huge trade either way.
    They were willing to let Afflao walk for a trade but Afflao is worth a future first round pick. So you basically saying Wiggins will be better than 3 first round picks.

Orlando needs to capitalize on these 2 top 12 picks.

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol ESPN poll on who will be best PF:

Randle: 54%
    Gordon: 25%
    Vonleh: 20%

They remind me of yall. Following the hype Lol

By the measurements, numbers, skill sets, and way the NBA game is played, I'll be shocked if Vonleh isn't the best PF. Gordon is Darius Miles. Randle is Corliss Williamson...Rodney Rogers.

Do I gotta go find your post on Kawhii Leonard in the finals fam