Official 2014 NBA Draft Thread (the race to the bottom)

Options

Comments

• #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyS7Qnwxnfk

Lol @ wait til he has a bad game.This was Last week homeboy take the cape off his handles suspect as fucc,he has a suspect jumper he is just athletic he never warranted the hype no need to catch feelings cuz others aint on his ? like you

"I play devils advocate a lot with wiggins/parker because everyone has thrown wiggins into the overhyped high school player who lives off athleticism category and he's not that. Parker is the safer pick, melo with less strength/polish. Wiggins has the higher ceiling and it's harder for him to shine on that squad. I'm not saying I would be mad at getting parker #1, just remember they said a lot of the same thing about paul george that they say about wiggins and they're very similar"

Wiggins and George aren't similar in the NCAA besides being great athlete's. George was a great jump shooter as a freshman and a solid one as a sophomore. Wiggins main knock on him is his shooting stroke. George also wasn't as highly touted coming out of High School like Wiggins is.

Wiggins is at a huge disadvantage in the sense that if he leaves for the NBA this year he is going to be looked at as the savior of a franchise and will not get the chance to slowly develop under the radar like George did. I kind of feel bad for the kid because the media built this kid up to be something he isn't and when he gets to the league and doesn't dominate he will be crucified.

Hopefully the kid will continue to get better because I hate the way the media ? on these kids after they fail to live up to a lot of unwanted hype and expectations heaped on their shoulders
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyS7Qnwxnfk

Lol @ wait til he has a bad game.This was Last week homeboy take the cape off his handles suspect as fucc,he has a suspect jumper he is just athletic he never warranted the hype no need to catch feelings cuz others aint on his ? like you

"I play devils advocate a lot with wiggins/parker because everyone has thrown wiggins into the overhyped high school player who lives off athleticism category and he's not that. Parker is the safer pick, melo with less strength/polish. Wiggins has the higher ceiling and it's harder for him to shine on that squad. I'm not saying I would be mad at getting parker #1, just remember they said a lot of the same thing about paul george that they say about wiggins and they're very similar"

Wiggins and George aren't similar in the NCAA besides being great athlete's. George was a great jump shooter as a freshman and a solid one as a sophomore. Wiggins main knock on him is his shooting stroke. George also wasn't as highly touted coming out of High School like Wiggins is.

Wiggins is at a huge disadvantage in the sense that if he leaves for the NBA this year he is going to be looked at as the savior of a franchise and will not get the chance to slowly develop under the radar like George did. I kind of feel bad for the kid because the media built this kid up to be something he isn't and when he gets to the league and doesn't dominate he will be crucified.

Hopefully the kid will continue to get better because I hate the way the media ? on these kids after they fail to live up to a lot of unwanted hype and expectations heaped on their shoulders

Yea I wasn't so much as quoting the Paul George comparison as I was the part about having playing devils advocate. I don't hold any bias towards wiggins at all I just call it like I see it. I don't think he's gonna be looked at as the savior of a franchise tho because the hype has died down a lot since the season started. Plus other guys who are balling sort of take the pressure and spot light off him which I'm sure he appreciates because he doesn't have a ego. There's really no telling how good this kid is gonna be but I'll tell you what if Embid is off the board when my team is picking I would be far from disappointed if wiggins was our pick.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we gonna be honest with ourselves, at this point I can't say for sure who's going to be the best player at the end of their rookie contract (4years). Drafting ain't a science - some guys develop late, not at all, or not as much as you'd think.

My top 5

1. Embiid
    2. Parker
    3. Wiggins
    4. Randle
    5. Smart

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    Man when I watch Embiid play it seems like everything he does is a fluke. Lol. Like ok that was a good play, but he can't do it again. Idk, just don't seem like he has a sustained skill set. I wouldn't take him overall #1 like what I'm starting to hear. I could be wrong.

Finally...amid his lovefest for Embiid, somebody else seesit.

@ Embiid fans, what is his reasonable best case scenario? Serge Ibaka? Nene? I dont get it.
  • S2J
    Options
    If it wasnt for Carmelo Anthony's bad rap as a one dimensional/chucker, Parker would have people goin nuts. They're so alike.

Gotta compare guys to their age bracket, and at age 18 he's more orfensively polished than about anyone age 18-22. Imo worst case he's Melo, just a pure scorer. Melo is a HOFer!

Best case for Jabari is Grant Hill pre-injury. W/ less playmaking more scoring
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    I don't know about Jabari being worst case melo. That's just not realistic. As much ? as people(including myself) give melo he's still one of the 10 best scores in league history and like you said a HOF. Jabari is worst case a more athletic Tobias Harris. Those 3 play such a similar game it's ridiculous. On top of that all 3 share the same strengths and weaknesses.. same height ..Have the same body nh.
  • S2J
    Options
    Yea worst case bein Melo is a stretch but i just genuinely cant see an ofrensively advanced played like that not pan out

Beasley didnt but he was a tweaner

Tobias Harris is no Jabari. Not as fluid.

• #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Yea worst case bein Melo is a stretch but i just genuinely cant see an ofrensively advanced played like that not pan out

Beasley didnt but he was a tweaner

Tobias Harris is no Jabari. Not as fluid.

The biggest worry on Jabari is the fact that he is a tweener, due to not being athletic enough to be able to play the 3 in the NBA but not strong and tall enough to play the 4 in the NBA. He has the height and size of a 3 but he is most likely going to have a hard time guarding 3's in the NBA and even scoring like he does so easily in the NCAA due to his lack of quickness.

Duke actually plays Jabari a lot as there 4 or 5 in many sets this season.

Jabari is good but there are a lot of players who were offensively advance in the NCAA that didn't make the NBA or became just role players if they did make it. A few good to great NCAA wing/big man tweener's that come to mind are listed below

Michael Beasley
    Jared Dudley
    Derrick Williams
    Royce White
    Evan Turner

• S2J
    Options
    ^^^ Jabari Parker is a 3 from skill set to handles, not even a debate. Hes playing the 4 b/c he can. Kevin Durant played the 4 at UT. Defensively who gives af lol really. Half the league cant play man defense. Hes good enough on D

When i say advanced skill set i mean primarily 1 on 1, get buckets, triple threat type players.Like durant at his age, like beasley, like melo, like james harden. All them dudes stuck out from day 1 b/c in this day n age that those type of scorers are rare. Those dudes u listed r NOT what im talkin about
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What people is forgetting this year Duke has no real inside presence so Parker is playing out of position. But you see the handles the vision and offensive versatility when he gets a chance to showcase it. He is more athletic then people give him credit for as well as quick. If Luol Deng can guard 3's in the League Parker can to. Deng is slow as they come when u talking a bout natural fluid motion.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ people saying Wiggins can be a bust but now embed is the #1. He's a more high risk/high reward player than Wiggins!
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    ^^^ Jabari Parker is a 3 from skill set to handles, not even a debate. Hes playing the 4 b/c he can. Kevin Durant played the 4 at UT. Defensively who gives af lol really. Half the league cant play man defense. Hes good enough on D

When i say advanced skill set i mean primarily 1 on 1, get buckets, triple threat type players.Like durant at his age, like beasley, like melo, like james harden. All them dudes stuck out from day 1 b/c in this day n age that those type of scorers are rare. Those dudes u listed r NOT what im talkin about

So none of the guys I mentioned played the 3/4 while playing NCAA ball? None of them could get 1on1 buckets against damn near anybody at the collegian level in a myriad of ways? None of them were triple threat types of players when they were in school?

I agree only Beasley dominated his freshman year outta all the people I listed but the fact remains there are always guys who are great in school but the skills don't translate to the pros.

I do think Jabari is nice and the best freshman in the nation right now though and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a good pro.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Updated player comparisons

Joel Embid - Hakeem Olajuwon/Andrew Bynum

Jabari Parker - Carmelo Anthony

Andrew Wiggins - James Worthy/Rudy ?

Julius Randle - athletic Zach Randolph

Marcus Smart - Dwyane Wade

Aaron Gordon - Shawn Marion/Kenneth Farid

Noah Vonleh - Chris Bosh

Zach Lavine - RM Jr Smith

Dante Exum - Penny Hardaway

Tyler Ennis - poor mans Steve Nash

• MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it wasnt for Carmelo Anthony's bad rap as a one dimensional/chucker, Parker would have people goin nuts. They're so alike.

Gotta compare guys to their age bracket, and at age 18 he's more orfensively polished than about anyone age 18-22. Imo worst case he's Melo, just a pure scorer. Melo is a HOFer!

Best case for Jabari is Grant Hill pre-injury. W/ less playmaking more scoring

Worst case a guy that's stop top 10 in PER this year, 4th last year. Why is being compared to Melo a bad thing? If it ain't Lebron or Durant it ain't good? Ok......

• #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    Some good NCAA games on primetime to check out a lot of the NBA prospects.

Looking forward to seeing how Embiid plays against Baylor's front court. Ike Austin for Baylor is looked at as an NBA prospect and so is the Jefferson kid.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crazy, the college games are Better than the nba games this season. .
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we gonna be honest with ourselves, at this point I can't say for sure who's going to be the best player at the end of their rookie contract (4years). Drafting ain't a science - some guys develop late, not at all, or not as much as you'd think.

My top 5

1. Embiid
    2. Parker
    3. Wiggins
    4. Randle
    5. Smart

I'd put Exum above Smart
  • S2J
    Options
    Man when I watch Embiid play it seems like everything he does is a fluke. Lol. Like ok that was a good play, but he can't do it again. Idk, just don't seem like he has a sustained skill set. I wouldn't take him overall #1 like what I'm starting to hear. I could be wrong.

@ Embiid fans, what is his reasonable best case scenario? Serge Ibaka? Nene? I dont get it.

Someone please answer. I just saw this man compared to Hakeem Olajuwon.

Not ? like a healthy Greg Oden, or Ibaka, or Okafor...no, his compariaon is to one of the best big men ever.

Someone please explain this Embiid thing to me.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options

Not ? like a healthy Greg Oden, or Ibaka, or Okafor...no, his compariaon is to one of the best big men ever.

Embid is a better offensive player right now then ibaka is or will probably ever be and if oden was healthy he could have potentially been an all time great. Simply put Embid has the perfect blend of skills and measurements of a prototypical center. He has post moves for days.. solid outside jumper.. Protects the rim at an elite level and he's getting better by the day. He needs to do a better job on the glass and get a little stronger but even then he's 250 with a solid frame. The comparisons to the dream are spot on if you ask me.. Does that mean he's gonna be as good as Hakeem? Only time will tell but let's not forget Hakeem was a junior when he got drafted so his game was obviously polished when he hit the pros. Another year would be great for him but seriously doubt he stays.
  • S2J
    Options
    Bruh, thats layin it on THICK.

Post moves for days with 11ppg.

Hyperbole.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Irvvb7Y4-w
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Bruh, thats layin it on THICK.

Post moves for days with 11ppg.

Hyperbole.

He only plays about 23 mins a game and its not like he's putting up hella shots ..plus i don't think anyone in college hoops sees more double teams than this dude. He can back you down or face up..passes well..he's the truth.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Embid is a better offensive player right now then ibaka is or will probably ever be and if oden was healthy he could have potentially been an all time great. Simply put Embid has the perfect blend of skills and measurements of a prototypical center. He has post moves for days.. solid outside jumper.. Protects the rim at an elite level and he's getting better by the day. He needs to do a better job on the glass and get a little stronger but even then he's 250 with a solid frame. The comparisons to the dream are spot on if you ask me.. Does that mean he's gonna be as good as Hakeem? Only time will tell but let's not forget Hakeem was a junior when he got drafted so his game was obviously polished when he hit the pros. Another year would be great for him but seriously doubt he stays.

Ok, Chad ford.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't get me wrong Embid has great upside but if I was him I would stay one more year to work on everything. Dude just picked up the game like 2-3 years ago. He still needs strength. To me if he goes to the NBA now he will be wasted for 2-3 years before we see the what he can become.