• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    FlightKing wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    blu197 wrote: »
    All I know is he took a team with Eric snow and urs newble to the finals and instead if props he gets criticized cuz they lost to Duncan.

It's that he lost but how ? he played

Dont matter... They wasn't spose to be there. He had no help vs spurs who zoned and doubled him. ? took the Cavs to the finals that's greatness...

Iverson took Eric Snow, Aaron McKie, Theo Ratliff, George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Todd MacCulloch, Kevin Ollie, Pepe Sanchez and malnourished Mutombo to the Finals and won a game against the Lakers in their prime in one of the most dominant title runs ever.

The Cavs came out of a rabbit ? East that year. Its an accomplishment but it ain't impossible.

I give AI hella props but no one says oh he lost so it shouldnt count. Bron dropped 40 on a great Piston team to get to the finals... And it was what his 4th or 5th year in the league. What Bron did deserves props not side hate period
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant call it right now
    O.G. wrote: »
    IMO you can be more talented than someone and still not be a better overall player. For example Paul George is more talented than Bird but that does not mean he is an overall better player. Keep in mind that today's players are working on completely different skill sets than the old school players. You got seven footers jackin up 4 three pointers a night. Back then seven footers were not even shooting 4 three pointers a season. It's a different game now. Talent,skill,physical gifts or what ever you want to call it, Today's ballers can do more than ballers of my generation. The advantage the old school had was they were fundamentally sound. Today's ballers use athleticism to cover up for their lack of fundamentals. Just my opinion.

So by your definition, more talented means more athletic? If that's the case, what about Jordan, Dominique, Barkley, Dr. J etc.? Those guys were just as athletic as anyone playing today if not more athletic.

With your take on players of this generation focusing on completely different skill sets, wouldn't you say 6'9 Bird was one of the people who created the blueprint for the big man shooting 3's style of play? Wouldn't you say Magic who was 6'9, was one of the players who set the blueprint for bigger players focusing on more guard skills like dribbling and passing?

So as I just pointed out, the previous decades have everything covered. The players now are definitely not more talented by any definition of the word than the 80s/90s era.

.... With the bolded, that's exactly why I don't fall for the hype of damn near any of the superstars of today's time. You're right, the players in the past had the fundamentals down pat. Nowadays we have PGs that can't shoot OPEN or pass accurately, SGs that can't shoot OPEN, and Centers with NO POST MOVES... and these are the superstars or all-stars I'm talking about! Now compare that to the 80's/90's where you had players who were fundamentally sound AND freakishly athletic... EXACTLY!, the players of today come up short every time.
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Attention ?
    All I know is he took a team with Eric snow and urs newble to the finals and instead if props he gets criticized cuz they lost to Duncan.

Dont matter... They wasn't spose to be there. He had no help vs spurs who zoned and doubled him. ? took the Cavs to the finals that's greatness...

Iverson took Eric Snow, Aaron McKie, Theo Ratliff, George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Todd MacCulloch, Kevin Ollie, Pepe Sanchez and malnourished Mutombo to the Finals and won a game against the Lakers in their prime in one of the most dominant title runs ever.

The Cavs came out of a rabbit ? East that year. Its an accomplishment but it ain't impossible.

I give AI hella props but no one says oh he lost so it shouldnt count. Bron dropped 40 on a great Piston team to get to the finals... And it was what his 4th or 5th year in the league. What Bron did deserves props not side hate period

I wasn't saying that with my quote. He had no choice but to lose to Duncan and the Spurs but AI did the same and is a legit legend with heart. I think LeBron is a great player but this top 4 is a reach. I might have to fall back on this thread cause I don't wanna come across as a LeBron hater.

I hate Shane Battier.
  • Heavy In The Game
    Heavy In The Game Members Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    PI-NBA-LeBron-MtRushmore-021114.vresize.330.186.high.58.jpg
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Has he surpassed Kobe yet career wise?
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    GodGivBiz wrote: »

not yet..... but as his current rate he probably will.

The Legends like MJ , Bird, Kareem, and Magic say the ring count is what matters most. so he has work to do based off the opinions that really matter.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    IMO you can be more talented than someone and still not be a better overall player. For example Paul George is more talented than Bird but that does not mean he is an overall better player. Keep in mind that today's players are working on completely different skill sets than the old school players. You got seven footers jackin up 4 three pointers a night. Back then seven footers were not even shooting 4 three pointers a season. It's a different game now. Talent,skill,physical gifts or what ever you want to call it, Today's ballers can do more than ballers of my generation. The advantage the old school had was they were fundamentally sound. Today's ballers use athleticism to cover up for their lack of fundamentals. Just my opinion.

So by your definition, more talented means more athletic? If that's the case, what about Jordan, Dominique, Barkley, Dr. J etc.? Those guys were just as athletic as anyone playing today if not more athletic.

With your take on players of this generation focusing on completely different skill sets, wouldn't you say 6'9 Bird was one of the people who created the blueprint for the big man shooting 3's style of play? Wouldn't you say Magic who was 6'9, was one of the players who set the blueprint for bigger players focusing on more guard skills like dribbling and passing?

So as I just pointed out, the previous decades have everything covered. The players now are definitely not more talented by any definition of the word than the 80s/90s era.

.... With the bolded, that's exactly why I don't fall for the hype of damn near any of the superstars of today's time. You're right, the players in the past had the fundamentals down pat. Nowadays we have PGs that can't shoot OPEN or pass accurately, SGs that can't shoot OPEN, and Centers with NO POST MOVES... and these are the superstars or all-stars I'm talking about! Now compare that to the 80's/90's where you had players who were fundamentally sound AND freakishly athletic... EXACTLY!, the players of today come up short every time.

Again... if a player has more skills and can do more on the court, imo he is more talented. Talented not better.
    The center pos. is dead in today's game.No need to get into that.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Attention ?
    Holla back when he erases his history of disappearing in the playoffs....
    I never saw the Goats Quit... And I did see Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, and Olajuwan play...
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Annnnnnnd....

...It's an official stan thread.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LBj,KD,Melo>>>>>Domonique, Bird, Reggie,Scottie, Julius, and Clyde
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    R.D. wrote: »

Cosign
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can the ? finish his career??? Kobe hasn't even retired yet.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right

Cosign

woooow ....u don't think Clyde measures up to KD and Melo?

• Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    He's right, but it's some attention ? -ness in there
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    DaBull wrote: »
    GodGivBiz wrote: »

not yet..... but as his current rate he probably will.

The Legends like MJ , Bird, Kareem, and Magic say the ring count is what matters most. so he has work to do based off the opinions that really matter.

bill russell is the GOAT
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant call it right now
    Parallel wrote: »
    100 goats to anybody that can make a legit argument for 10 players being better than Lebron.

Reasoning: Objectivity

11 superstars with at least as many championships as Lebron:

Russell
    Kareem
    Jordan
    Magic
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Bird
    Wilt
    Isiah
    Hakeem
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    I love how people act like Lebron would get bullied in the 80s-90s. Who's got the combination of strength and speed to athletically overwhelm Lebron in any era?
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant call it right now

If AI can steal a game from LA bron should have been able to get 1 from SA
  • ericb4prez
    Options
    Cant call it right now

Do you remember the game after bron went ham on the pistons tho
  • ericb4prez
    Options
    Cant call it right now
    I love how people act like Lebron would get bullied in the 80s-90s. Who's got the combination of strength and speed to athletically overwhelm Lebron in any era?

Karl Malone
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I actually think LeBron is a great player but like somebody else stated in this thread if his career stopped today he wouldn't be top 4 All-Time. That's what the whole conversation is about. Not what he is gonna keep doing because tomorrow is promised to nobody.

He is no doubt top 15 or 10 all-time, right now. But top 4 already?????

No ? way!

That's why he said when he's done.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    DaBull wrote: »

Cosign

woooow ....u don't think Clyde measures up to KD and Melo?

My point was more that Melo don't measure up to Bird or Julius.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Lebrons career is over with(if he doesn't have any major injuries) the mountain will be Jordan,Kareem,Kobe and Lebron until someone else comes along and changes it.

I'm basing the mountain off stats/numbers,awards and titles.Magic and Bird will get moved.Oscar shouldn't be on there in the 1st place

Skills is a whole different story
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ultimately his likeability and statistically obsessed culture as well as the hype factor will put him there
    I feel about him how I feel about Brady hes great but overrated in terms of the reverence
    Ye shrug
This discussion has been closed.