Lebron say's "Im going to be 1 of the top 4 thats ever played this game"

Options

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    IMO you can be more talented than someone and still not be a better overall player. For example Paul George is more talented than Bird but that does not mean he is an overall better player. Keep in mind that today's players are working on completely different skill sets than the old school players. You got seven footers jackin up 4 three pointers a night. Back then seven footers were not even shooting 4 three pointers a season. It's a different game now. Talent,skill,physical gifts or what ever you want to call it, Today's ballers can do more than ballers of my generation. The advantage the old school had was they were fundamentally sound. Today's ballers use athleticism to cover up for their lack of fundamentals. Just my opinion.

So by your definition, more talented means more athletic? If that's the case, what about Jordan, Dominique, Barkley, Dr. J etc.? Those guys were just as athletic as anyone playing today if not more athletic.

With your take on players of this generation focusing on completely different skill sets, wouldn't you say 6'9 Bird was one of the people who created the blueprint for the big man shooting 3's style of play? Wouldn't you say Magic who was 6'9, was one of the players who set the blueprint for bigger players focusing on more guard skills like dribbling and passing?

So as I just pointed out, the previous decades have everything covered. The players now are definitely not more talented by any definition of the word than the 80s/90s era.

.... With the bolded, that's exactly why I don't fall for the hype of damn near any of the superstars of today's time. You're right, the players in the past had the fundamentals down pat. Nowadays we have PGs that can't shoot OPEN or pass accurately, SGs that can't shoot OPEN, and Centers with NO POST MOVES... and these are the superstars or all-stars I'm talking about! Now compare that to the 80's/90's where you had players who were fundamentally sound AND freakishly athletic... EXACTLY!, the players of today come up short every time.

When it comes to the center position you're right. Others you have to consider matchups though. It's not as cut and dry as it seems. Take Kevin Durant. He's damn near 7'0 and can pull up from anywhere and shoot. Now name the players night in night out who'd be able to contain that? A player like Dirk who is 7'0 and in his prime was doing pretty much the same. Yes the players of the past were more fundamentally sound but there's certain disadvantages the skill sets of players today would pose. Big men weren't shooting from as far out in the 80's and 90's. It was considered great if your pf could shoot from 15 ft. let alone players the size of centers shooting and being near the league leaders in 3's. Hell a big part of the reason Magic Johnson was so successful was because it wasn't normal at all to have a player the size of a pf at 6'9 running PG. The match ups of today's players vs the players in the 80's and 90's wouldn't be as easy to call as some want it to be.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    popularity yes...

actuality he will be top 8
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant call it right now
    Shaq. Magic. Mike. Kobe.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Cant call it right now
    S2J wrote: »
    Ultimately his likeability and statistically obsessed culture as well as the hype factor will put him there
    I feel about him how I feel about Brady hes great but overrated in terms of the reverence
    Ye shrug

You sure do mention your hatred for stats a lot. Hate to tell ya but thats the only thing that will stand time. That and rings.

No one remembers Oscar Robertson's weaknesses, whether he could go left, etc. They remember he avg a triple double. No one remembers how Wilt scored 50/game. They just know he did it.

So years down the line...no one will remember how Bron scored his points...but what they will see is

27...7...and 7. And his absurdly high fg%'s will look like a typo compared to his peers. HE'S SHOOTING 57%. HE SHOT 40% FROM 3 LAST YEAR

Thats why I'm genuinely perplexed w/ yall little hang ups and snobbiness (not you per say) toward Bron.

It. Doesnt. matter. His numbers, in additon to the MVPS and rings, override any opinion.

Men lie.....women lie.....numbers dont.

The bolded is the point of most people's arguments. Which is very logical

He isn't finished yet.

Of course if he keeps playing this well the next 5-6 seasons he will be top 4 but what if he ends up in the all-star game getting a major injury and keeps getting hurt like D-Rose these last 2 seasons? Then what? Is he still better than all those other players with more championships and more seasons of All-NBA & All-Defense teams?

The guy is a great player and I admit that but there are still a ? load of players ahead of him right now on the all-time list and a few are still playing right now at a high level.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stat wise he is right.

As far as playing in other eras...hand cling would have little effect on lebron because of his athletic ability and strength. The only players are looked at as being "softer" in this era is because they have to adjust to how threfs are calling the games. Nowadays the refs don't let ? slide. What was a hard playoff foul in the 90's, is now a flagrant 2. IMO the physicality in the other eras wouldn't be a problem.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bron tired of being humble, KD tired of Brons ? lol
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    1 more ring..He's right there..
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lebron is one of the GOATs but his legacy would be even better if he hadnt run away to get them rings. I'm just saying

Thats what'll probably always put Jordan above him for me cause he took a sorry team and made them a dynasty
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    'Run away to get them rings' smh

His numbers stayed the same + wade has come down to earth as no better than any other star's sidekick + bosh not bein the 'top 10' player we thought he was 3 yrs ago =

That lame excuse no longer holds weight. He has no better a supporting cast than Tim Duncan, or Kobe, or Magic, etc
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

His numbers stayed the same + wade has come down to earth as no better than any other star's sidekick + bosh not bein the 'top 10' player we thought he was 3 yrs ago =

That lame excuse no longer holds weight. He has no better a supporting cast than Tim Duncan, or Kobe, or Magic, etc
    Lmaoooo FOH

You can give Bron credit but don't bend the truth to do it

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    Nah Son wrote: »
    Lebron is one of the GOATs but his legacy would be even better if he hadnt run away to get them rings. I'm just saying

Thats what'll probably always put Jordan above him for me cause he took a sorry team and made them a dynasty

Lmaoooo

? with the "Lebron had to team up" argument make me laugh.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What...
  • TrillRussell
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    R.D. wrote: »

Lmaoooo FOH

It's some truth to it...When you look at Bosh/Wade Playoff numbers they aren't superstar like..Wade averaged about 16 ppg throughout the postseason last year...Bosh Averaged 12..and they still won the title anyway...
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

Lmaoooo FOH

It's some truth to it...When you look at Bosh/Wade Playoff numbers they aren't superstar like..Wade averaged about 16 ppg throughout the postseason last year...Bosh Averaged 12..and they still won the title anyway...
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    He's not even top 6 right now. MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Oscar Robinson, Zeke ahead of him right now

One of the best athletes to play the game but let his career finish first.

The fact he's making those statements when he has a good 6-8 seasons left to play is what people will hold him to when Wade is done and Bosh leaves.

Wade been done since that finals against Dallas.

Bosh? Really? Every ten games he pulls out good one.

LBJ been dragging Wade corpse to straight finals.

? , do you even watch the games?
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    Bosh made the biggest sacrifice on any other team he a 23 and 12 player. They turned Bosh into Horace Grant with longer range..

And Bron did run away to get rings. That's why I can't put him in my top 4. He took the easy way to a ship. With that team you knew he was going to win they been to 3 straight finals so don't come with Wash Wade excuses. Those are 3 superstars on one team period.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant call it right now
    ? in here Trollin or makin up an excuse just in case bron don't win it this year
  • TrillRussell
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    Y'all high off how Big Chris Bosh and Dwade's names are...but when you look at the production...Bosh getting Horace Grant numbers in the Finals..Wade Getting Typical sidekick numbers..Not to discredit them because the Heat wouldn't win without their presence...but Bosh and Wade's production don't back up "Superstar" help claims..they get the average numbers for 2nd and 3rd options..Lebron aint have no more help than any other championship winning Legend in League history..Don't be blinded by the names..check the production
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant call it right now
    Wade averaged almost 20 a game in the NBA finals last season while shooting better than any Miami player who got big minutes besides Ray Allen.

Wade in the 11-12 playoffs averaged almost 23 a game and Bosh in the 10-11 playoffs averaged almost 19 and 9.

Like somebody else stated earlier outta all 3 of those players LeBron was allowed to play his game and the other 2 guys had to adjust to him. Bosh puts up numbers when he is given the chance to play his true game. ? he beat my Spurs last regular season without Bron and Wade. Wade isn't the player he used to be due to injuries but when he is healthy or it's a big game he comes to play. Just like the NBA finals last season
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    bosh numbers as the 3rd option are equal to a 2nd option of other title teams. check pippen with MJ and Gasol with Kobe

19 n 9 are excellent numbers
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @HerringWSJ This whole NBA/Mt Rushmore thing cracks me up, bc I highly doubt the average person or NBA player could name the 4 presidents on Mt Rushmore

this could have been a great skit if they went around all star weekend asking who their top 4 were and and then asking who are the actual 4 presidents on the mt rushmore not even why just who
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea, he right
    Bosh was never a Superstar.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Attention ?
    Miami will not 3repeat this year, dwade play with significantly decline and bron will look elsewhere to finish his career putting his legacy into question
This discussion has been closed.