J.Cole>>Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big KRIT is better then both.

/Thread

krit and cyhi got mixtapes better than both them fools catalogs if we being real, the ic dont wanna be real tho.

Nah
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh at you ? mane
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nj2089 wrote: »

/Thread

krit and cyhi got mixtapes better than both them fools catalogs if we being real, the ic dont wanna be real tho.

Nah

what they got better than Return of 4eva and Black Hystori Project? please dont say the warm up and friday night lights
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    return of 4eva is better than any mixtape cole and kendrick did. i agree...
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrJR wrote: »
    It's trolling because it's me and how I make threads lmao

At least you know. Mixtape Cole and mixtape Kendrick are even. As dope as coles tapes were I still listen to overly dedicated probably more than any Kendrick project. I'm not mad at people not liking or Kendrick or liking cole but both of coles albums have been average with limited replay value. I'm still waiting for him to make the project know he can
  • nj2089
    Options

/Thread

Nah

what they got better than Return of 4eva and Black Hystori Project? please dont say the warm up and friday night lights

are you talking bout mixtapes or they whole catalog ?
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    Options

/Thread

Nah

Lol bruh BHP is my favorite project this year and consider krit to be better than Cole but warm up and fnl are up there with both of those projects if not better
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick's Control verse was just cool too. Like if hopped on that Jay n Jay We Made It remix with it, it'd be a distant 3rd
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

/Thread

Nah

Lol bruh BHP is my favorite project this year and consider krit to be better than Cole but warm up and fnl are up there with both of those projects if not better

i just cant see it, warm up and fnl damn near more forgettable than cole albums to me outside in the morning and you got it, i dont hate cole but he can do better.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited April 2014
    Options

/Thread

Nah

ill take the two mixtapes i named over anything in kendrick and j. cole entire catalog
  • nj2089
    Options

/Thread

Nah

ill take the two mixtapes i named over anything in kendrick and j. cole entire catalog

ooh ok
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    Options

/Thread

Nah

i just cant see it, warm up and fnl damn near more forgettable than cole albums to me outside in the morning and you got it, i dont hate cole but he can do better.

Lol just say you don't line cole bruh. There's no way in hell either one of those average albums he dropped are touching warm up or FNL
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    i do like cole, his production and replay value just lacks, for me although i havent gone back to em, i made it through those albums easier than the mixtapes
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually agree that J cole is a better bar for bar rapper, but at the level they are competing on you need more and that's where it goes back to Kendrick being in control (no pun intended).

Kendrick being from Compton and while not necessarily a street dude can offer that gritty perspective of growing up in that environment and not letting it make him a product of it. J cole is more a less the same but he can't offer that same gritty music, him and Kendrick probably had similar experiences but how it translates in music is what sets them apart.

I think both have a long career ahead of them.

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cole has one stupid voice less than Kendrick... I may have to agree with OP
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    J.Cole needs hit records, not lukewarm hits he needs definitive hit records. Kendrick and Drake shed the images they started with b/c of that. J.Cole hasn't. For him to really put himself on their level he needs a hit record and a movement behind it. Kendrick has TDE and Dr.Dre and conscious-this is really happening energy, Drake has YMCMB, OVO and the women & spits about relationships in a way nobody can or does right now. J.Cole has college ? and ..... huh ? LOLOL he doesn't need a crew but he does need a hit record. And if he's rapping about social issues he needs to take the DMX approach and tackle certain issues with the same tenacity, that's what will differentiate him and/or put him on the same level as Kendrick Lamar and Drake. It'll come but it's going to take time.

And in terms of production, I think J.Cole should have gone the Drake route and started a label of producers if he was so into production like that SMMFH. His production isn't bad at all mind you, but his albums lack that "je ne sais quoi" if you will. Like album one felt forced in some places cuz you can tell he wanted to get on, album 2 was very experimental that's why the production came out like that. On album 3 I think he will be somewhere in between and be able to find his groove but overall he needs a hit record.

So having a 2x plat single like "Work Out" isn't a hit record??? You gonna have to show me what record kdot has released that's been bigger then that cuz I don't know of any....in fact I believe "Power Trip" was probably bigger then anything kdots released so I gotta no-sign that...
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think ya'll are sleepin on sideline story. Lights please, can't get enough, that whole album was hot and definitely has replay value. Cole just doesn't have the hype that Kendrick has right now. Not sayin gkmc wasn't hot either cause you could listen to that album the whole way through but I think sideline story is bein slept on because it only had one radio single that did anything.
  • onthafly
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    I disagree and dont care if i get nosigned, wacked, or flagged for messing up the circle jerking rythm in here

J. Cole ? come off way more boring than Lamar`s ? .

I struggle to find 5 songs from Cole where i said
    "Damn that ? was some heat!!"

Meanwhile If you ask me to list 5 from K. Dot Id have those plus like 5 other honorable mentions ready to go.

? had Jigga backin him up and still couldnt win vs an underdog from Compton and a producer everybody think is a has been. ? outtta here

Doesn't matter what ? think about Dre. That wouldn't affect their perception of a hot ass Dr Dre produced song like the recipe. Section 80 wasn't all that great because the production wasn't all that great. Kendrick is a great rapper but he needed that good production to make a great album like gkmc and he needed that control verse to build some controversy and hype otherwise gkmc might have just been a really good album that got slept on like sideline story.

lights please, lost ones and break down were some heat in my opinion. I could make a list of great j cole songs but that would be my opinion and you might not be feelin them.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Kellmill wrote: »
    There is an album called Section.80 and another called good kid maad city you should check em out. Listen to a song called "Rigamortis" and find me a Cole song where he is lyrically better

Listened to it. It's not bad but not incredible. Just cause the ? can rap for a long time without breathin don't make him better lyrically and neither does rappin really fast otherwise twista would be in everybodies top 10. I'll take "is she gone pop" by j cole over that song.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Call me when cole drops an album track better than 'sing about me, I'm dying of thirst'

No hate to cole though I rate him and think he has a classic in him. His mixtapes are testament to that but his albums seem to go sideways and I end up skipping ? .

Both artists are at where I'd like hip hop to go anyway

I don't know if anything cole has is ? with sing about me.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    J.Cole needs hit records, not lukewarm hits he needs definitive hit records. Kendrick and Drake shed the images they started with b/c of that. J.Cole hasn't. For him to really put himself on their level he needs a hit record and a movement behind it. Kendrick has TDE and Dr.Dre and conscious-this is really happening energy, Drake has YMCMB, OVO and the women & spits about relationships in a way nobody can or does right now. J.Cole has college ? and ..... huh ? LOLOL he doesn't need a crew but he does need a hit record. And if he's rapping about social issues he needs to take the DMX approach and tackle certain issues with the same tenacity, that's what will differentiate him and/or put him on the same level as Kendrick Lamar and Drake. It'll come but it's going to take time.

And in terms of production, I think J.Cole should have gone the Drake route and started a label of producers if he was so into production like that SMMFH. His production isn't bad at all mind you, but his albums lack that "je ne sais quoi" if you will. Like album one felt forced in some places cuz you can tell he wanted to get on, album 2 was very experimental that's why the production came out like that. On album 3 I think he will be somewhere in between and be able to find his groove but overall he needs a hit record.

So having a 2x plat single like "Work Out" isn't a hit record??? You gonna have to show me what record kdot has released that's been bigger then that cuz I don't know of any....in fact I believe "Power Trip" was probably bigger then anything kdots released so I gotta no-sign that...

My last post before I fall back to sleep SMMFH LOLOL. Ill check morning to see wat else get posted.

Those weren't definitive hits tho that impacted the game.

The same way that Fat Joe had Lean Back, 50 Cent had In Da Club, Lil Wayne had Lollipop, A Milli, 6'7", Drake had Find Your Love, the song wit Rihanna, Started From The Bottom, Kanye West had Stronger, Jay had Hardknock Life, DMX had Party Up, Macklemore had Thrift Shop -- J.Cole doesn't have those records (yet). Power Trip was more of Miguel's record, Work Out was forced and wasn't even a track Cole wanted to do a video for but did b/c the label forced it (according to him in XXL). None of those records were definitive enough tho to where you could say "he's arrived".

He's got the accolades but he doesn't have that hit record. It's not production its lack of hit records. Kendrick Lamar has a platinum album (did Cole's 2 albums on a debut no less), a classic, the hottest crew in the game & Lady Gaga on another track, really Kendrick left Cole's tier a long time ago & if Cole dont come wit a hit on album 3 he's going to end up like Fabolous. Fab had the game on smash but he just couldnt transition, & he got stifled as a mixtape artist cuz he couldnt drop hits, he could drop hood hits but he could never drop commercial records unless he was featuring or it was a remix.

All that might be true be I was only responding to the part where you said he needed to have hits like kdot to shed the image he started with which isn't true since his singles have been bigger hits than kdots have....now if you wanna go he needs a quality album like kdot ok but if cole doesn't have a definitive hit then there's no way you can say kdot has one since cole records have been bigger...
  • ojos_negros
    ojos_negros Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »
    Call me when cole drops an album track better than 'sing about me, I'm dying of thirst'

No hate to cole though I rate him and think he has a classic in him. His mixtapes are testament to that but his albums seem to go sideways and I end up skipping ? .

Both artists are at where I'd like hip hop to go anyway

I don't know if anything cole has is ? with sing about me.

S what I'm sayin man, I like cole but kdot Is on some next level with tracks like that. Its the whole cohesiveness of gkmc that takes that ? above and beyond where coles albums are more like just a selection of ok/good/great tracks but the cat has mad potential still. I don't buy this 'he's too humble' as a derogatory remark, in a scene full of fake posturing ill take honesty from a rapper as a breath of fresh air

I'm thinking of blus below the heavens (classic to me) as something of that ilk which cole is more than capable of