J.Cole>>Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    I disagree and dont care if i get nosigned, wacked, or flagged for messing up the circle jerking rythm in here

J. Cole ? come off way more boring than Lamar`s ? .

I struggle to find 5 songs from Cole where i said
    "Damn that ? was some heat!!"

Meanwhile If you ask me to list 5 from K. Dot Id have those plus like 5 other honorable mentions ready to go.

? had Jigga backin him up and still couldnt win vs an underdog from Compton and a producer everybody think is a has been. ? outtta here

Please list 5 songs that are from kendrick that are "heat"

And everyone knows that Jay-Z doesn't do anything to help his artists besides give them a platform, just stop
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    ^^^
    The art of peer pressure
    sing about me
    black boy fly
    ? don't ? my vibe
    blow my high
    the recipe

Although believe I have a lot more J. Cole songs in my playlist, those are some real quality songs right there.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Power trip is more Miguel's record? Even tho that ? only got like 2 lines??? (2 lines he song the ? out of but still 2 lines nonetheless ) every chick I know knows that song word for word
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    J.Cole needs hit records, not lukewarm hits he needs definitive hit records. Kendrick and Drake shed the images they started with b/c of that. J.Cole hasn't. For him to really put himself on their level he needs a hit record and a movement behind it. Kendrick has TDE and Dr.Dre and conscious-this is really happening energy, Drake has YMCMB, OVO and the women & spits about relationships in a way nobody can or does right now. J.Cole has college ? and ..... huh ? LOLOL he doesn't need a crew but he does need a hit record. And if he's rapping about social issues he needs to take the DMX approach and tackle certain issues with the same tenacity, that's what will differentiate him and/or put him on the same level as Kendrick Lamar and Drake. It'll come but it's going to take time.

And in terms of production, I think J.Cole should have gone the Drake route and started a label of producers if he was so into production like that SMMFH. His production isn't bad at all mind you, but his albums lack that "je ne sais quoi" if you will. Like album one felt forced in some places cuz you can tell he wanted to get on, album 2 was very experimental that's why the production came out like that. On album 3 I think he will be somewhere in between and be able to find his groove but overall he needs a hit record.

So having a 2x plat single like "Work Out" isn't a hit record??? You gonna have to show me what record kdot has released that's been bigger then that cuz I don't know of any....in fact I believe "Power Trip" was probably bigger then anything kdots released so I gotta no-sign that...

My last post before I fall back to sleep SMMFH LOLOL. Ill check morning to see wat else get posted.

Those weren't definitive hits tho that impacted the game.

The same way that Fat Joe had Lean Back, 50 Cent had In Da Club, Lil Wayne had Lollipop, A Milli, 6'7", Drake had Find Your Love, the song wit Rihanna, Started From The Bottom, Kanye West had Stronger, Jay had Hardknock Life, DMX had Party Up, Macklemore had Thrift Shop -- J.Cole doesn't have those records (yet). Power Trip was more of Miguel's record, Work Out was forced and wasn't even a track Cole wanted to do a video for but did b/c the label forced it (according to him in XXL). None of those records were definitive enough tho to where you could say "he's arrived".

He's got the accolades but he doesn't have that hit record. It's not production its lack of hit records. Kendrick Lamar has a platinum album (did Cole's 2 albums on a debut no less), a classic, the hottest crew in the game & Lady Gaga on another track, really Kendrick left Cole's tier a long time ago & if Cole dont come wit a hit on album 3 he's going to end up like Fabolous. Fab had the game on smash but he just couldnt transition, & he got stifled as a mixtape artist cuz he couldnt drop hits, he could drop hood hits but he could never drop commercial records unless he was featuring or it was a remix.

Sion bruh. no.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Mama, I just killed a man, my body still trembling, can you feel my hands"
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Power trip is more Miguel's record? Even tho that ? only got like 2 lines??? (2 lines he song the ? out of but still 2 lines nonetheless ) every chick I know knows that song word for word

I was going to say this basically.
    ? on here was mad Miguel wasn't able to shine on that track
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Musically I don't think Jay's done much for Cole really. Not even saying that he has to. But Kendrick got more of a benefit of being backed by Dre because he doesn't have to spit on a track for their relationship to be successful.

He can produce 5 or 6 songs on his album and maybe drop a verse here and their.
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But how many tracks did Dre produce on gkmc?
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    Musically I don't think Jay's done much for Cole really. Not even saying that he has to. But Kendrick got more of a benefit of being backed by Dre because he doesn't have to spit on a track for their relationship to be successful.

I'm pretty sure Dre didnt produce any tracks on GKMC
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    J.Cole needs hit records, not lukewarm hits he needs definitive hit records. Kendrick and Drake shed the images they started with b/c of that. J.Cole hasn't. For him to really put himself on their level he needs a hit record and a movement behind it. Kendrick has TDE and Dr.Dre and conscious-this is really happening energy, Drake has YMCMB, OVO and the women & spits about relationships in a way nobody can or does right now. J.Cole has college ? and ..... huh ? LOLOL he doesn't need a crew but he does need a hit record. And if he's rapping about social issues he needs to take the DMX approach and tackle certain issues with the same tenacity, that's what will differentiate him and/or put him on the same level as Kendrick Lamar and Drake. It'll come but it's going to take time.

And in terms of production, I think J.Cole should have gone the Drake route and started a label of producers if he was so into production like that SMMFH. His production isn't bad at all mind you, but his albums lack that "je ne sais quoi" if you will. Like album one felt forced in some places cuz you can tell he wanted to get on, album 2 was very experimental that's why the production came out like that. On album 3 I think he will be somewhere in between and be able to find his groove but overall he needs a hit record.

So having a 2x plat single like "Work Out" isn't a hit record??? You gonna have to show me what record kdot has released that's been bigger then that cuz I don't know of any....in fact I believe "Power Trip" was probably bigger then anything kdots released so I gotta no-sign that...

My last post before I fall back to sleep SMMFH LOLOL. Ill check morning to see wat else get posted.

Those weren't definitive hits tho that impacted the game.

The same way that Fat Joe had Lean Back, 50 Cent had In Da Club, Lil Wayne had Lollipop, A Milli, 6'7", Drake had Find Your Love, the song wit Rihanna, Started From The Bottom, Kanye West had Stronger, Jay had Hardknock Life, DMX had Party Up, Macklemore had Thrift Shop -- J.Cole doesn't have those records (yet). Power Trip was more of Miguel's record, Work Out was forced and wasn't even a track Cole wanted to do a video for but did b/c the label forced it (according to him in XXL). None of those records were definitive enough tho to where you could say "he's arrived".

He's got the accolades but he doesn't have that hit record. It's not production its lack of hit records. Kendrick Lamar has a platinum album (did Cole's 2 albums on a debut no less), a classic, the hottest crew in the game & Lady Gaga on another track, really Kendrick left Cole's tier a long time ago & if Cole dont come wit a hit on album 3 he's going to end up like Fabolous. Fab had the game on smash but he just couldnt transition, & he got stifled as a mixtape artist cuz he couldnt drop hits, he could drop hood hits but he could never drop commercial records unless he was featuring or it was a remix.

nah ion know bout this, power trip was a pretty big hit, n him having a fabulous type career wouldn't b bad, fab got plenty hits and plaques, I think in terms of making a hit and his mark on the mainstream he did that w/o forcing it, outsold ye and errthang, now he just need to work on diversifying his production choices and making more songs that not only hit but last as well
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    J. Cole is already ahead of Fab. Fab cant put out a dope album for ? .
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Krit Wuz Here=R4=Warm Up=FNL>BHP

BHP the best tape this year but it's a step below the ones I named IMO
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kinda see what sion means. Cole reminds me exactly where jay was before vol. 2 dropped. Has some respect and is considered great by fans and artist alike, but just a huge hit away from becoming J COLE if u know what i mean. JAY Z became JAY Z after hard knock life (song) and vol. 2 dropped. Just like T.I. became T.I. after bring em out blew up. Hell u can even use Ross as an example. Ross had hits and successful albums before Teflon Don (similar to Cole), but he really became who he is today after he dropped bmf. Coles gonna get there watch. This 3rd album is gonna be his breakthrough album.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Dre didnt produce any tracks on GKMC

Damn, if that's the case.

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kinda see what sion means. Cole reminds me exactly where jay was before vol. 2 dropped. Has some respect and is considered great by fans and artist alike, but just a huge hit away from becoming J COLE if u know what i mean. JAY Z became JAY Z after hard knock life (song) and vol. 2 dropped. Just like T.I. became T.I. after bring em out blew up. Hell u can even use Ross as an example. Ross had hits and successful albums before Teflon Don (similar to Cole), but he really became who he is today after he dropped bmf. Coles gonna get there watch. This 3rd album is gonna be his breakthrough album.

See that's where we differ I guess cuz I don't believe bring em out or bmf are huge hits.. Or at least any huger then what j cole has already done they just had the momentum of their prior albums and singles behind them but whether you say forced or not can you say bmf and bring em out was bigger then work out or power trip??? I mean power trip went 2x plat so that in itself proves that he doesn't need a big hit he just needs to continue building that momentum that the others built and put together a big album that can match his big hits
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Using Ross hurt your case bruh

Cole is already bigger than Ross
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last I checked, Born Sinner was 600k Sold from September. Why has that album not hit plat yet?

And Cole is bigger than Ross c'mon now.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    bmf wasnt that big of a "hit" but bring em out definitely helped take tip to that level of crossing over, later what u know did as well, and i guess u can say cole is bigger than ross but its not like he's really outsold ross like that.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last I checked, Born Sinner was 600k Sold from September. Why has that album not hit plat yet?

And Cole is bigger than Ross c'mon now.

If you are asking this cause they gave Kanye a plaque with less sales, its because he has done it before...

The label is gonna ship another 500k of Cole albums cause they dont think they will ever sell
  • Kellmill
    Options
    I'm sorry but BMF was a huge hit
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick and Cole are equals.
    They both used "? " lines only difference one ? will forever be criticized for it while the other is looked over like it was never said
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kellmill wrote: »
    I'm sorry but BMF was a huge hit
    yeah street hit
  • Kellmill
    Options
    They played it on the radio all summer
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    definitely a huge street hit, it didnt cross ross over or nothin tho, only made it to 60 on the overall charts, id say thats a moderate overall hit, aston martin was bigger overall
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »
    ^^^
    The art of peer pressure
    sing about me
    black boy fly
    ? don't ? my vibe
    blow my high
    the recipe

Although believe I have a lot more J. Cole songs in my playlist, those are some real quality songs right there.

Exactly, most of the ones mentioned are on the album, which I already said was a classic. It was still masterminded by Dre tho

Kellmill wrote: »
    But how many tracks did Dre produce on gkmc?

Producer Dr. Dre (exec.), Anthony "TOPDAWG" Tiffith (exec.), Dawaun Parker, DJ Khalil, DJ Dahi, Hit-Boy, Jack Splash, Just Blaze, Like, Pharrell Williams, Rahki, Scoop DeVille, Skhye Hutch, Sounwave, T-Minus, Tabu, Terrace Martin, Tha Bizness, THC

Just like Kanye West exec-produced MNIMN