Clippers Owner Donald Sterling To GirlFriend - Don't Bring Black People To My Games (AUDIO/PIX)

Options

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Protesting isn't always about the direct result you get. Sometimes it's about the statement you make in hopes that the statement will prompt other actions that will lead to results.

I don't think anyone is saying that the players should stop playing basketball forever. The general suggestion is that they should have sat out at least one game to show how strongly they feel about the incident. No, it wouldn't have hurt Sterling all that much, but you can bet the NBA would have taken notice. And so would the fans everyone else who tunes into these games.

Gimme specifics, B. No diss, but I just here a bunch of rhetoric here. What impact would them sitting out Game 4 have had? You think other fans around the league would have not watched OTHER games because the Clippers sat out Game 4?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what sitting out would accomplish and I'm not seeing it.

Dog, what people want is for Sterling to give up the team. He's already considering doing that just because of the heat he's catching for the incident. You don't think the threat of his players not playing for him and fans not supporting the team would push him towards making the decision that much quicker? Come on. If you're not seeing it, it's because you're being willfully blind.

right.

And you can go in even further on that topic. People saying why should players sit? Because this is an OWNER showing hos true colors. He clearly is a covert racist in a position of power. I think Chris Paul should have called a lesuge wide players only meeting and proposed they all sit till something changes. The dude called black people ENEMYS! lol come on man....

There should be no place for people like that in positions of power ANYWHERE. you have to think of it from a business's standpoint too. The NBA is a corporation with each team being an affiliate branch of the overall league. That one teams owner is putting the entire league in jeporday with his sentiments. Of course, the pr people of the NBA are gonna try to calob it isolated, but im sure its not,and there are other owners that think like he does.

A League wide sit out would send the message that the players will not tolerate this AT ALL and force then to take quick action. This also could be a beginning of a shift in the type of culture of the league and make it better imo.

But this is bigger than just basketball and these dudes are not voicing their true options to the the influence of that evil dollar smh...
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Ban Matt's Ip until Donald Sterling dies.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok, we're getting closer to something tangible. Lol. Not quite there yet. So let's say the the game was canceled cuz the Clips forfeited by not showing up. You say the league would have had to take some immediate action. According to the rules, all they would have done is fine the Clippers organization. So Donald Sterling write a check to the league office. Now what?

Don't get me wrong, son. I understand why everyone wanted them to sit out the game. But logically, it doesn't make any sense. The NBA can only do so much and the players can do even less.

Again, Sterling is ready to sell the team because of nothing more than the bad press. If all the other owners, turn around an put pressure on him, he'll want to do it that much faster. You don't think that losing games would cause the owners to act more quickly? And its not just about what the NBA does. People in general are sheep. They find the biggest shepherd and follow them. There are a lot of fans out there who won't really react to this at all on their own. But if the players did something big to show how important it was, a lot of the fans would follow suit. All of this would keep the story going. The longer the story goes the more sponsors disappear and the more the rep of the team and league as a whole plummet. Sterling doesn't want to deal with that.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    b3k4fc.png

yeah i saw that ? .. that ? needs to banned again..
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, I'd like to point out once again, that the players didn't have to sit out to make a statement.

For example, Chris Paul and/or Black Griffin, could have come out publicly (not on facebook or instagram, but in a press conference) and denounced Sterling, gone on record of saying they would not resign any contracts with the Clippers until Sterling was gone, and recommended that no other players come to the Clippers until ownership changed.

That would have been just as big a statement as sitting out and they wouldn't have had to give up on their goals. They didn't even do that. In fact they did the opposite, the agreed to not address it publicly other than that silly thing with the warm-ups which really didn't make any sense to me.

Cool. This is what I mean, son. Some tangible, realistic ? that actually has some real consequences. That's all I'm saying, B. This ? makes sense and could have been done and would have had some teeth behind it...them ? sitting out wouldn't have.

Salute.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even Tank had enough dignity to not sing the national anthem at the game. If anyone's struggling career needed a performance in 20,000 seater LA stadium it's Tank.

Hat's off to him.

Wait, so he was supposed to sing for game 4 and he dropped out?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sn_a_cliipers_kh_576x324.jpg

Now...am i trippin, or did everybody refuse to cover their heart except cp3 and Blake?? Ehhh maybe players always keep their hand down for the pledge.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Ok, we're getting closer to something tangible. Lol. Not quite there yet. So let's say the the game was canceled cuz the Clips forfeited by not showing up. You say the league would have had to take some immediate action. According to the rules, all they would have done is fine the Clippers organization. So Donald Sterling write a check to the league office. Now what?

Don't get me wrong, son. I understand why everyone wanted them to sit out the game. But logically, it doesn't make any sense. The NBA can only do so much and the players can do even less.

Again, Sterling is ready to sell the team because of nothing more than the bad press. If all the other owners, turn around an put pressure on him, he'll want to do it that much faster. You don't think that losing games would cause the owners to act more quickly? And its not just about what the NBA does. People in general are sheep. They find the biggest shepherd and follow them. There are a lot of fans out there who won't really react to this at all on their own. But if the players did something big to show how important it was, a lot of the fans would follow suit. All of this would keep the story going. The longer the story goes the more sponsors disappear and the more the rep of the team and league as a whole plummet. Sterling doesn't want to deal with that.

The bolded makes me think you don't really know the character of Donald Sterling to well. That'd make him LESS likely to sell. Lol. At this point, whatever will happen is gonna happen. Today or in a few months. If he's gonna sell, he's already made up his mind to sell. If he ain't, he's the type of dude to keep the team just because and NEVER sell. And they can't make his punk ass.

The italicized is more of what I was looking for. Affecting sponsors and getting them to yank money and ? . Something REAL. Good ? .
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think it was a consciousness decision but deandre looks like his mind is somewhere else
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol Matts trolling knows no bounds
  • mryounggun
    Options
    I dont think it was a consciousness decision but deandre looks like his mind is somewhere else

Word. That ? look like he plotting some ? . Lol.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt paying child support for my baby momma kids.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I'm guessing Sterling is somewhere in his home, not showing his face, knowing his career is done because his racist side came out. After he sells the team, he's moving to Germany
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sour-Cream wrote: »
    Matt paying child support for my baby momma kids.

Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't wait for the 30 for 30 on this fiasco

"What if I told you, they had a chance to make history and make a statement, but they just wore their warmups inside out."

Espn presents 11 Little ? Boys(including half of Blake Griffin and Matt Barnes) and JJ Reddick...The story of the 2013-14 LA Clippers
    Brought to you commercial free by KFC

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. The 30 for 30 is gonna be interesting...

lol @ the title
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Y'all ? really think he's gonna sell the team? Not saying he is or isn't, but y'all are talking like it's a foregone conclusion. Hardly.
  • DarcSkies
    Options
    KingSimba wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    SugaBuga wrote: »
    They said sterling wants to make this go away for the right price....? the clippers players, coaches and fans

Speaking of price Charles Barkley made an interesting point about Sterling and the Clippers. No doubt he should be forced out, but is it really a punishment to force him into a deal that puts hundreds of millions more into his pockets? It's a weird punishment in that sense and something that just isn't big or have enough of an impact, for him to be able to profit to that amount off these ? up comments and doesn't really feel like an impact would be made. If there was a way to simply strip him of ownership sans profit of selling them that'd be the best option but i don't even think that's legally possible

its not. Dude is wealthy. That money aint going anywhere even if he is "forced" to sell the team. He would just take that money and invest it in another industry and remain remains wealthy racist.

This is why I said before, the fans hold the real power. A boycott of not only the Clippers, but a league that spawns people like Donald Sterling, would make a huge statement.

Does it?

I know the owners who told their players not to say anything are likely racist as hell. The only reason you'd try to silence them really.

How how does the NBA spawn racist players?
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    I can't wait for the 30 for 30 on this fiasco

"What if I told you, they had a chance to make history and make a statement, but they just wore their warmups inside out."

Espn presents 11 Little ? Boys(including half of Blake Griffin and Matt Barnes) and JJ Reddick...The story of the 2013-14 LA Clippers
    Brought to you commercial free by KFC

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. The 30 for 30 is gonna be interesting...

lol @ the title

Jinx. I also thought about this. Except I was thinking and actually said out loud to my bf "Think of how great that 30 for 30 episode would have been if they'd just taken a stance. ? would have been awesome!"
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The bolded makes me think you don't really know the character of Donald Sterling to well. That'd make him LESS likely to sell. Lol. At this point, whatever will happen is gonna happen. Today or in a few months. If he's gonna sell, he's already made up his mind to sell. If he ain't, he's the type of dude to keep the team just because and NEVER sell. And they can't make his punk ass.

The italicized is more of what I was looking for. Affecting sponsors and getting them to yank money and ? . Something REAL. Good ? .

I don't know anything about him honestly, but I do know he's already come out and said he's considering selling the team so that this dies. If he's already considering that, then any moves that would ramp up the heat he's feeling would only cause him to do that quicker.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DarcSkies
    Options
    Symbolism.
    Also its withholding money.. its a start not the culmination.

Statements have intangible accomplishments.

Refusing to move from the bus seat.

Sit ins at Woolworths

Donning black gloves

Marching

What did they accomplish
    they got blown the ? out...
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can sort of understand why the playoff teams aren't speaking on it. But there are 14 or however many teams not in the post-season. These are the guys who need to be voicing their opinion even if nobody else is. As far as I know, you can't be fined for criticizing an owner. And you damn sure can't claim speaking would be a distraction
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    This type of mentality is not uncommon with owners of the nba, nfl, nhl, mlb, our even other leagues around the world. But, at last those other owners are not stupid enough to make those feelings known.
This discussion has been closed.