The Official Ab-Soul - "These Days" Discussion (6.24)

Options

Comments

• ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JerryNoir wrote: »
    ItsBboy! wrote: »
    1. "? 's Reign" - Dope
    2. "Tree of Life" - Dope
    3. "Hunnid Stax" (featuring Schoolboy Q) - OK
    4. "Dub Sac" - Wack
    5. "World Runners" (featuring Lupe Fiasco) - OK
    6. "Nevermind That" (featuring Rick Ross) - Dope
    7. "Twact" (featuring Jinx & Short Dawg) - Wack
    8. "Just Have Fun" - Wack
    9. "Kendrick Lamar's Interlude" (featuring Kendrick Lamar) - Dope
    10. "Closure" - OK
    11. "Sapiosexual" - Wack
    12. "Stigmata" - Dope
    13. "Feelin' Us" (featuring Jay Rock & RaVaughn) - Really Wack
    14. "Ride Slow" (featuring Danny Brown) - OK
    15. "W.R.O.H" (featuring JMSN) - OK

5 dope songs
    5 iight songs
    4 wack songs
    1 really wack song that ima delete off my phone.

Decent but Soul gotta come harder. I have no better an understanding of who he is or his story after hearing his album than I did just listening to random songs.

he has two other albums that talk about that, i don't understand this critique.

? want what Kendrick gave that's what I'm seeing as the problem
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »

Yeah he's gotten mad personal on wax, more so than any other TDE member. Especially Book of Soul.

Definitely admit I haven't heard Control System yet so I gotta go back.

But when it's your first commercial release aren't you supposed to save your best stuff? Look at Kendrick.

Have u heard the long term tapes
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    These aren't mixtapes. They're fully produced albums with commercial distribution. Section.80 is an album. Control System is an album. These Days is an album.

The only difference between the release of Section.80 and GKMC is that one was released independently and the other was released on a major. That's it.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That kendrick lamar interlude fuccin sucks.Why did they do that

Tree of Life,Feelin us,Stigmata are all dope as fucc.The rest of the album is iiight
  • za'kiss
    Options
    That kendrick lamar interlude fuccin sucks.Why did they do that

I wasn't really feeling it either. ? sounded sloppy as ? .
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendricks interlude is dope as ? . Its like a sequal to abs interlude. I love that jazz feel. Horns all over the place n ? .
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The kdot interlude is supposed to sound sloppy i take nobe if you people been to a spoken word show they rap offbeat all the time its not supposed be like a regular hiphop track--- closed minds
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Leave the poetry to wale
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ab-soul and Daylyt battle...

1384116216293.gif
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't believe in warm up albums at all, especially if people got to pay for it. If you put it out, it got to be real deal. I brought the album on Google play, but I haven't made it all the way through it. I think the album is coo so far
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    Options
    Its not rap song lmao its a interlude that you want to be a rap song and this is nothing new kendrick and ab been doing these type of tracks and maybe if you open your mind a little bit you would realize that spoken word is actually big in la but I'm not going to keep debating, you have your opinion homie
  • za'kiss
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The kdot interlude is supposed to sound sloppy i take nobe if you people been to a spoken word show they rap offbeat all the time its not supposed be like a regular hiphop track--- closed minds

I'm a fan of spoken word and also free form jazz, but I did not like this interlude, since it wasn't really a good example of either of those things. K Dot's sputtering and yelling all over the track just wasn't sonically pleasing to me. His voice is starting to get rather tiresome.

And BTW, you can have a free form jazz instrumental and still stay keep a syncopated rhythm and cadence. Or you know, a nice flow. Black Thought rode these kinds of beats like butter on Do You Want More?!!!??

• clippyclipp n*gga
    Options
    I agree with some of your statements i don't like when he yells as well but i enjoyed it , but everyone is entitled to their opinion i love black thought as well , do you want more is a classic to me but not everything has to be in sync all the time with spoken word
  • za'kiss
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Word. That's arguably my favorite Roots album.

I agree with you about spoken word, but it's just a weird track because he's clearly spitting a rap verse lyrically, it just sounds poorly delivered. It didn't feel like spoken word. Perhaps if he wasn't yelling it could've worked for me.
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    Options
    He was rapping the beginning the he stops rapping for a second but i like it because its off, the substance if what he and abe is talking about is what makes me like it ,
  • za'kiss
    Options
    The substance is alright.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its still a good album, not touching Control System
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its still a good album, not touching Control System
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »

Yeah he's gotten mad personal on wax, more so than any other TDE member. Especially Book of Soul.

Definitely admit I haven't heard Control System yet so I gotta go back.

But when it's your first commercial release aren't you supposed to save your best stuff? Look at Kendrick.

I dont see any difference in releases between this and Control System. You cant buy either at a store, never really promoted either that much, These Days is still an independent "album" from what I understand.
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was no promotion whatsoever for These Days. If it wasn't for the IC I probably wouldn't of even known it was dropping since I don't use twitter or none of that.

This album really growing on me a lot tho
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    I'm really ? with this man. Rollin Round like ? it
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    I cant wait to put this in the whip.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant wait to put this in the whip.

I feel bad for a ? speakers riding around bumping "sapiosexual" ......talking about dis da bump!

Lmao

Real talk after a few more listens I can't even get fully thru this ? ...I hope TdE ain't fallin off .... We'll see what Rock and Kendrick come thru with tho