Iraq crisis: Isis jihadists 'seize Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons stockpile'

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    religious conflicts can only end with bloodshed so why pretend otherwise. better we save our children the problem of having to do it and we spill blood now. because that's the only solution to religious conflicts history has shown this.

unless you ? want to have iraq war part 3
  • zombie
    Options
    lol at anyone thinking Rome was a failure but still claiming to be smart.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Rome actually praised and admired the Greeks (and Etruscan people seem to forget) Julius Caesar even wanted to emulate Alexander and try to go further then him before he got assassinated. Macedonia and Achea (one of the names the Romans called the province of Greece after it was conquered during the 2nd century) was honored with proconsuls. Considering the republic itself lasted from 700 b.c to when Augustus was crowned emperor, and then empire in the west lasted till 4th or 5th centuries, then the eastern empire lasted till the Turks took Constantinople, Rome was one of the most successful if not the most successful European Empire in terms of longevity.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, so this is confirmed?

I want to say that this crisis is the product of the failures of government, religion, etc., but this is simply just the product of humankind. This whole thing is going to be more affirming than it is shocking.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

Go eat a bannana
  • zombie
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Rome stole from Greece and tried to erase its legacy via coopting what they liked and destroying what they didn't.

You're the one advocating genocide and calling me stupid. America is not next door to Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan... it's not on their doorstep and they are unwelcome in most of those places.

It's meddling in a conflict that will remain unresolved in the interests of some of their other neighbours.

Rome's leaders got so ? insanely hyped on their own ? , one of their emperors married a horse and ? it. You think that's a good blueprint for sound governance?

FOH.

this is total ? and a lie. You don't know history at all the greeks were one of the few peoples that rome ruled that they gave any respect to. And I am not calling for genocide I am calling for the total defeat of fundamentalist islam.by whatever means needed.

NO ? AMERICA WOULD BE UNWELCOME, I am pretty sure we were unwelcome in japan and Germany right after ww2 but look how that turned out. I am not saying America has to be rome or any other historical empire but I am saying that there are things that all successful empires and powerful nations have done that we should apply today.
  • zombie
    Options
    @d0wn you got something you want to say to me
  • zombie
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Go eat a bannana

I'm not your monkey ass family you ugly fat ?
  • Plutarch
    Options
    this is more of a SL thread imo, but that's neither her nor there.
    BOMB THEM OR NOT these people are going to hate the west no matter what we do so we might as well bomb them. leaving these people alone would be like leaving a wound alone until maggots start eating you alive.

we leave them alone they fight amongst each other until someone comes out on top and is even more powerful.

"They hate us for bombing them and selling bombs to other countries that bomb them... so let's bomb them some more!"

Put a pile of newspaper in your room. Light it. Then keep spraying lighter fluid on it every 30 seconds. That's the small scale version of what American has been doing for the last 30 years. Iran Contra, Gulf War, Israeli conflict, Gaza Strip, Tomahawk missiles after the failed assassination of George Bush Sr, the unsanctioned invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, martyring their leaders who now mean more in death as symbols of the struggle and victims for the cause... do you not understand this has not helped?

You are not built for this thinking, your reductive logic is basic as ? .

Lay off the geopolitics if it's beyond you.

Go watch some VICE on HBO at the very least about how this ? is not helping. The Fallujah Fallout is the unspoken of Hiroshima the US committed in the Middle East. Children are being born without legs, eyes and organs, you think their parents are going to forgive and forget or should we bomb them to death so the problem doesn't exist?

Jesus, you're an idiot.

they hate us for bombing them but it's too late to cry about that now they are not going to stop hating us now matter what we do.

WHAT america should do is burn them till they can't burn any longer, i study a lot of history and for some people there is only one way to bring your order to them, you have to ? them into submission. IF THE parents of the children killed and mutilated want to have any children left they would except the new order. It's what the romans would do it's what the british empire would do. America however seems to be lacking the correct conviction to to what's needed and that's why we keep having this problem every 30 years america is not going hard enough and that;s why the problems in the middle east don't get solved

AND can you ? off with your superiority complex i've already told you i am not impressed by you.

So the solution to bring peace to the Middle East is to ? everyone that lives there who happen to be fighting an unending religious driven conflict even though America really only has interests there because of the Saudi investment element? Because America's only business there is because of oil magnates worried about their lands getting caught up in the conflict.

You do realise those empires died out, right? Rebellion forced the collapse of them. They were not successful, so why repeat the mistakes made in history? Those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it and you're advocating that. How stupid are you?

You know who else thought genocide was an answer? ? . Congratulations, you want America to act like ? Germany with the Jews replaced by Muslims. Bomb them to death? Brilliant idea, I guess gas chambers do take a while and Guantanamo is already kind of full. Stack them like they did in Abu Gharib too, shall we? They did in Auschwitz so why not?

I hope no one let's you operate heavy machinery.

I'm not here to impress you, your simple mind can't grasp the basics so how could you appreciate something greater? Ants don't give a ? about the Louvre either.

those empires died out but after hundreds of years. the way America is going it won't last as long. can you stop the straw man and red hearing argument I never advocated ? style genocide. only the genocide of those who fight us. if you pick up arms you die. if you don't submit you die. if you submit you and your family can live to the fullest.

the problem with American policy is we keep pretending to be peacekeepers when we should be conquers then we can bring peace

I agree with some of what you're saying, but American is going the way that it's going because of these wars. And you say that the U.S. should be conquers, but that's exactly what the U.S. is doing but on a sneak tip. If you want the U.S. to be open about their conquering, that would just make things worse, which is exactly why they're conquering on the down low. If you think that peace can be achieved through war (which is already the U.S. government's MO is), then you're wrong imo. No matter how badly beaten a people is, they will continue to fight until they die. And genocide of the U.S.'s enemies is not possible, but will just empower the U.S.'s enemies.

What the U.S. needs to do is to stop playing superhero of the world in order to satisfy the greed of the war profiteers, stop these ? wars, and focus on the U.S.'s own various problems. We can either be a world power that destroys itself like ancient Rome, or we can be a prosperous, solitary nation with far less global power like Switzerland. I prefer the latter.
  • reapin505
    Options
    reapin505 wrote: »
    Rome actually praised and admired the Greeks (and Etruscan people seem to forget) Julius Caesar even wanted to emulate Alexander and try to go further then him before he got assassinated. Macedonia and Achea (one of the names the Romans called the province of Greece after it was conquered during the 2nd century) was honored with proconsuls. Considering the republic itself lasted from 700 b.c to when Augustus was crowned emperor, and then empire in the west lasted till 4th or 5th centuries, then the eastern empire lasted till the Turks took Constantinople, Rome was one of the most successful if not they most successful European Empire in terms of longevity.

I'm talking about the latter days of the empire when they started smashing their works of art, rewriting their great works, burning their scrolls and books when the empire started being ruled by mad ? committing ? and ? . All empires have risen and fallen largely due to increasingly cruel and mad rulers, whether the later lines of Pharoahs, Emperors or Kings. Richard The 3rd, Caligula or Ptolemy the 8th all seemed quite mad and cruel.

Caligula and Nero were at the beginning of the Empire, they were still part of Julian-Claudian dynasty started by Augustus. Rome reached its height after them in around 117 A.D. Rome had crazy emperors for nearly 4 centuries before it fell in the west. ? and horse ? was going on all through out that. They were also smashing and destroying their ? before it became an empire they are the ones that killed Archimedes in Syracuse at the end of the 3rd century. Thats how wars were fought and won back then. The reason they became so successful was because they took what other cultures taught them and adapted it. I agree with that all empires fall eventually due to one ? however, but they can also be made.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am calling for the total defeat of fundamentalist islam.by whatever means needed.

LOL

What's the history between America and the Taliban as we know it now in Afghanistan?

There's allegations (factual or not) Osama bin Laden was a mole for the CIA in the 80s.

There's jihadists not yet born who'll take over from the current ones.

America I think needs to look inwardly at itself and find out how it went wrong in the Middle East.. all them invasions and sale of weaponry to Gulf States only escalate the situation there
  • reapin505
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    BOMB THEM OR NOT these people are going to hate the west no matter what we do so we might as well bomb them. leaving these people alone would be like leaving a wound alone until maggots start eating you alive.

we leave them alone they fight amongst each other until someone comes out on top and is even more powerful.

"They hate us for bombing them and selling bombs to other countries that bomb them... so let's bomb them some more!"

Put a pile of newspaper in your room. Light it. Then keep spraying lighter fluid on it every 30 seconds. That's the small scale version of what American has been doing for the last 30 years. Iran Contra, Gulf War, Israeli conflict, Gaza Strip, Tomahawk missiles after the failed assassination of George Bush Sr, the unsanctioned invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, martyring their leaders who now mean more in death as symbols of the struggle and victims for the cause... do you not understand this has not helped?

Go watch some VICE on HBO at the very least about how this ? is not helping. The Fallujah Fallout is the unspoken of Hiroshima the US committed in the Middle East. Children are being born without legs, eyes and organs, you think their parents are going to forgive and forget or should we bomb them to death so the problem doesn't exist?

Jesus, you're an idiot.

they hate us for bombing them but it's too late to cry about that now they are not going to stop hating us now matter what we do.

WHAT america should do is burn them till they can't burn any longer, i study a lot of history and for some people there is only one way to bring your order to them, you have to ? them into submission. IF THE parents of the children killed and mutilated want to have any children left they would except the new order. It's what the romans would do it's what the british empire would do. America however seems to be lacking the correct conviction to to what's needed and that's why we keep having this problem every 30 years america is not going hard enough and that;s why the problems in the middle east don't get solved

AND can you ? off with your superiority complex i've already told you i am not impressed by you.

So the solution to bring peace to the Middle East is to ? everyone that lives there who happen to be fighting an unending religious driven conflict even though America really only has interests there because of the Saudi investment element? Because America's only business there is because of oil magnates worried about their lands getting caught up in the conflict.

You do realise those empires died out, right? Rebellion forced the collapse of them. They were not successful, so why repeat the mistakes made in history? Those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it and you're advocating that. How stupid are you?

You know who else thought genocide was an answer? ? . Congratulations, you want America to act like ? Germany with the Jews replaced by Muslims. Bomb them to death? Brilliant idea, I guess gas chambers do take a while and Guantanamo is already kind of full. Stack them like they did in Abu Gharib too, shall we? They did in Auschwitz so why not?

I'm not here to impress you, your simple mind can't grasp the basics so how could you appreciate something greater? Ants don't give a ? about the Louvre either.

those empires died out but after hundreds of years. the way America is going it won't last as long. can you stop the straw man and red hearing argument I never advocated ? style genocide. only the genocide of those who fight us. if you pick up arms you die. if you don't submit you die. if you submit you and your family can live to the fullest.

the problem with American policy is we keep pretending to be peacekeepers when we should be conquers then we can bring peace

I agree with some of what you're saying, but American is going the way that it's going because of these wars. And you say that the U.S. should be conquers, but that's exactly what the U.S. is doing but on a sneak tip. If you want the U.S. to be open about their conquering, that would just make things worse, which is exactly why they're conquering on the down low. If you think that peace can be achieved through war (which is already the U.S. government's MO is), then you're wrong imo. No matter how badly beaten a people is, they will continue to fight until they die. And genocide of the U.S.'s enemies is not possible, but will just empower the U.S.'s enemies.

What the U.S. needs to do is to stop playing superhero of the world in order to satisfy the greed of the war profiteers, stop these ? wars, and focus on the U.S.'s own various problems. We can either be a world power that destroys itself like ancient Rome, or we can be a prosperous, solitary nation with far less global power like Switzerland. I prefer the latter.

Also this guy gets it. We need to consolidate our gains in the last century before we tire ourselves out. Needs to be a balance of war and peace. Pride is what destroyed rome, they were too busy fighting each other and ? with other people that they didn't see their enemies grow in strength. American pride has and will get a whole lot of people killed

And my bad in 700bc rome was still ruled by kings. It was like 500 bc that the republic was formed.
  • zombie
    Options

Jesus, you're an idiot.

you know what I think it's too late for America to play Switzerland. American power is to central to the stability of the world. several areas of the world would turn to ? without our presence. I think this nation should commit to either being warlike or peaceful.

no matter what choice we make there will be much death. our enemy is not going to stop hating us even if we leave the middle east. because it's religiously motivated

• Plutarch
    Options

Jesus, you're an idiot.

you know what I think it's too late for America to play Switzerland. American power is to central to the stability of the world. several areas of the world would turn to ? without our presence. I think this nation should commit to either being warlike or peaceful.

no matter what choice we make there will be much death. our enemy is not going to stop hating us even if we leave the middle east. because it's religiously motivated

I agree mostly, but I think it's more politically motivated instead of religiously motivated. They like to yell that Allah Akbar ? , but it's politically rooted imo. I believe that an overwhelmingly majority of the Muslims in the world do not (genuinely) side with the radical Muslim terrorists. Some even call them heretics.

The reason why this majority of Muslims haven't openly opposed these radical Muslims is not just because of fear but also because they're stuck between a rock and a hard place: either side with the radical Muslims who distort Islam for their own political ambitions or side with the Western imperialists who have traveled half way around the world to seemingly indiscriminately ? their men, women, and children (the very thing that you seem to be advocating). It's kind of like the Catholic Church in Germany during WWII. Either side with the fascists/Nazis or side with the communists/atheists. It's a choose-the-lesser-evil situation. But it's still evil.

That's just what it seems like to me...
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of people here are actually very ignorant to the situation.

Yea the middle east been at war for years but it was never this divided. You had the ottaman empire on the sunni side, with all the sunni countries under their rule, then you had the shah govt in iran ruling all the shiites. They had war and small skirmishes but most of their history together they had a peace treaty and got along together.

Then came the early 1900s and western imperialism, divided up the ottamans, and divided the arabs who all have the same religion culture and language into over 20 countries. Then they gave power to tribes over each country, and been ? them since.

Take oil out of the equation, and all the money the ruling arab tribes are making goes out the window, then all this war over spheres of influence in the middle east between iran and saudia arabia calms down, and after a conflict in the middle east arabs become 1 country, and again have some skirmishes with the shiites but overall live in peace cause theres nothing to fight over.

Smh at people believing the lie that the mid east was always like this. Yea they had wars but no more then all the world did.

Smh at people not thinking western empirialism aint the reason for this clusteruck today.

And smdh at these religious people hoping the middle east and mecca get destroyed so jesus can come back.
  • AZTG
    Options
    America didnt go wrong in the middle east. This was americas plan in the middle east. Divide the ? up, give a lot of money to tribal leaders, have them fight for their influence while ? them for the resources.

Same as asia, same as south america, and same as africa.

But yea, lets blow babylon up cause jesus will come back.

Smmfh
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    America didnt go wrong in the middle east.

For all their intents and purposes though with their divide and rule tactics as you claim, the 9/11 attacks on American soil were unprecedented.

So still, something's not quite right .. .
  • AZTG
    Options
    First off realistically speaking, all the money the US spent on iraqi infrastructure was spent on american companies working in iraq or companies with connection to american owners. In other words, a legal way of giving government money away to certain people. This money than gets returned in forms of kick backs and donations during elections.

Then lets look at the unexpected attacks on 9-11. That did 2 things, first it opened doors for the US to go into the middle east and strong arm all the oil, making sure the oil trade remains dollar based when arab countries wanted to move it to euro based trading.

2nd it created a new enemy for america to have americans preoccupied with. Osama bin laden was gonna somehow come to the US and murder our children, so we allowed the government to have an astronical and historically high budget for national defense. That led to army contracts and people getting paid big time.

Now that osama is dead, and al qeada lost steam and supporters over the last few years, isis comes out and the leader of isis is the new enemy. The news reported multiple times that this man was way more radical then osama was. I was like wtf? Few years ago osama was the most evil man to live since ? , attacked us on our land, and now our media is saying this dude is even more radical than him? Wtf?

But yea, US aint losing ? .
  • AZTG
    Options
    End of the day, this isis ? will blow over. Isis last year was fighting in syria, crossed over to Kurdish land and starting burning down villages. Kurdish guerrilla group, the PKK, came down from the mountains and fought them away with ease. Why? Cause for all their attrocities isis is still just a militia group picking up radicals in the streets to fight. No training, no real tacticts, just straight barbarianism. The PKK has 30 years experience in armed combat. Made easy work of isis.

Now the Kurds in iraq are starting to get involved. The peshmerge fighters are well trained with years of experience fighting both saddam and turkey. And they are getting tactical support from the US, so yea, isis stands no chance.

Once isis is gone though another group will emerge. A new enemy. Its not gonna stop till the oil is all gone.

Either that or babylon being bombed and jesus returning. Haha.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When oil runs out in the middle east ,? really going to hit the fan for all those countries there
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • zombie
    Options
    wow... yall ? this thread up.

what do you think should be done to fix the problem??? should we just leave them alone or find some way to crush them?? you were in the military so your opinion should matter the most
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    ISIS has captured 4 more towns today LOL......this is an EPIC FAIL of historical proportions for American foreign policy.

The sad ? is that getting involved will only make things worse....America is ? in this situation. There are ZERO good options at this point. ZERO. America should start negotiating with ISIS if they surround Baghdad, and ask if they are willing to divide Iraq into 3 nations. If ISIS wants all of Iraq, and America starts bombing the hell out of them, America will officially be an even bigger target then it already is.

I read some of the earlier posts here and there's quite a bit of ignorance going on....ISIS is fighting right along many other tribes who hate Maliki and anyone associated with America. It's why Obama rightly doesn't want to hit ISIS now, it's a hornet's nest waiting to spread.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    America didnt go wrong in the middle east. This was americas plan in the middle east. Divide the ? up, give a lot of money to tribal leaders, have them fight for their influence while ? them for the resources.

Same as asia, same as south america, and same as africa.

But yea, lets blow babylon up cause jesus will come back.

Smmfh

The problem is the divide and conquer strategy hasn't worked, America has funded foreign development at the expense of providing for its own people and the governments can't fund the developments independently without an American subsidy. So America has to fund the aspects of the Middle East or eat crow that they spent hundreds of millions to create infrastructure elsewhere at the expense of taking care of their own national interests.

I mean, the new cold war is kicking off, Norway is on high alert and American troops have been deployed in the region because of the war for resources and oil likely to kick off over the Arctic region. They just ain't playing that ? on TV because blaming Beau Bergdahl sells better than "we're ? and we're not ? with Russia because they control the fuel pipeline for 80% of Europe, so let's ignore that ? for now". It's selective heroism based on the pay off and the saleability of the agenda.

Incredible post