How do you truly feel about monogamy? Is it your true preference?

Options

Comments

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    Rasta. wrote: »
    Anytime spirit/soul/religion etc is brought into discourse, anything after is moot. Debate or argue within the realm of a set spectrum. I knew where he was going when his initial post had the word "ordained"

um ok rasta. No 'spectrum' was defined. Nor did my initial post relate to my later posts. I spoke about myself originally, then I spoke on why dopamine and adrenaline and ? doesnt explain what love or any emotion is. and a little bit about what the phrase 'heart' means in that context. none of that was about why you should or shouldnt ? mad ? . enjoy

I'm pretty sure you were the first poster on this topic to introduce the ? /spirit/ rhetoric. I'm only saying you need to debate or argue on subjects without introducing beliefs based on faith cos it skews or flaws them.
  • IgnorantSole
    IgnorantSole Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinking about making this a separate topic & poll but ? it I'll put it here since it branches off from monogamy:

Do any of you guys believe in the concept of 'one true love'?

I’m of the opinion the 'one true love' from a statistical standpoint is improbable. Simply because virtually any arbitrary measurement you use to select a significant other, there’s multiple people on this planet that meets your standard. Even if you’re narcissistic and view yourself as an one in a million individual, there’s 7000+ people on the planet exactly like you.

Think about it for a second, even as unique as we think we are as indiviuals, there are people out there similar enough to us that our past, present and future significant others would be attracted to them for the exact same reasons they are to us.

However I won't knock anyone who believes in it since, there remains a chance that you truly feel that you've found a profound connection with someone that you'll never be able to reach with anyone else. Who am I to judge and say you're lying?

Nah, I don't believe in that "one true love" ? . It might be the one you chose to make it work with and y'all could say that y'all were made for each other but that's about it.
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anytime spirit/soul/religion etc is brought into discourse, anything after is moot. Debate or argue within the realm of a set spectrum. I knew where he was going when his initial post had the word "ordained"

um ok rasta. No 'spectrum' was defined. Nor did my initial post relate to my later posts. I spoke about myself originally, then I spoke on why dopamine and adrenaline and ? doesnt explain what love or any emotion is. and a little bit about what the phrase 'heart' means in that context. none of that was about why you should or shouldnt ? mad ? . enjoy

I'm pretty sure you were the first poster on this topic to introduce the ? /spirit/ rhetoric. I'm only saying you need to debate or argue on subjects without introducing beliefs based on faith cos it skews or flaws them.

im not debating. this isnt a debate thread. i keep it just 'facts' for those threads. this is an opinion thread.
    and everything in this thread has been said a 100x over on this forum. except what i said. if yall enjoy repeating yourselves thats yall prerogative, i rather say something new to somebody.
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    I was thinking about making this a separate topic & poll but ? it I'll put it here since it branches off from monogamy:

I’m of the opinion the 'one true love' from a statistical standpoint is improbable. Simply because virtually any arbitrary measurement you use to select a significant other, there’s multiple people on this planet that meets your standard. Even if you’re narcissistic and view yourself as an one in a million individual, there’s 7000+ people on the planet exactly like you.

Think about it for a second, even as unique as we think we are as indiviuals, there are people out there similar enough to us that our past, present and future significant others would be attracted to them for the exact same reasons they are to us.

However I won't knock anyone who believes in it since, there remains a chance that you truly feel that you've found a profound connection with someone that you'll never be able to reach with anyone else. Who am I to judge and say you're lying?

Nah, I don't believe in that "one true love" ? . It might be the one you chose to make it work with and y'all could say that y'all were made for each other but that's about it.

Yeah that's my perspective as well. Here's link where a clinical psychologist addresses the idea of 'one true love' and is skeptical of its existence:
    psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-is-2020/201206/the-myth-one-true-love-lifetime

I'm of the opinion that an individual can have multiple 'soulmates' over a lifetime.
  • Empress_
    Empress_ Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options

@The Iconoclast

No such thing as "the one."
    I could further elaborate when I have a moment but for now...

This concept has distorted many individuals perception, especially in relation to the "perfect one" (not to say your s/o isn't perfect for you) and this incessant false belief that they are to spend their life searching for this mystical "one" as if their wholeness is at stake without them.

No other or outside being makes you whole, you all alone are entirely one whole. Who you choose to spend this life with is not your other half, that other is another whole and we are all one. Here lies the "issue" with those who are clingy and/or possessive or incapable of being alone. However, that dives into a whole other conversation.

As for soulmates, a soulmate comes into your life to reveal another layer. They come into our lives with their purpose but they might not necessarily be someone you spend forever with or even have a romantic relationship with. Their stay may very well be temporary and that is what was meant, for them to be in our space for a reason and then leave. And if one lives in the present opposed to the past or future, which many so often do, their presence and purpose would be more commonly seen and greatly appreciated (especially in the moment.)
  • The Iconoclast
    Options
    Empress_ wrote: »

@The Iconoclast

This concept has distorted many individuals perception, especially in relation to the "perfect one" (not to say your s/o isn't perfect for you) and this incessant false belief that they are to spend their life searching for this mystical "one" as if their wholeness is at stake without them.

No other or outside being makes you whole, you all alone are entirely one whole. Who you choose to spend this life with is not your other half, that other is another whole and we are all one. Here lies the "issue" with those who are clingy and/or possessive or incapable of being alone. However, that dives into a whole other conversation.

As for soulmates, a soulmate comes into your life to reveal another layer. They come into our lives with their purpose but they might not necessarily be someone you spend forever with or even have a romantic relationship with. Their stay may very well be temporary and that is what was meant, for them to be in our space for a reason and then leave. And if one lives in the present opposed to the past or future, which many so often do, their presence and purpose would be more commonly seen and greatly appreciated (especially in the moment.)
    Nailed it. I agree 100% with everything you just said and especially the bolded which is an unequivocally healthy perspective that many fail to grasp.

It takes a certain outlook on life to be able to detach oneself from the structural constraints of a conditioned mind and see that.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. You should post here more often, I don't think I've seen you post in the GnS before.
  • Empress_
    Empress_ Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options

@The Iconoclast

Nailed it. I agree 100% with everything you just said and especially the bolded which is an unequivocally healthy perspective that many fail to grasp.

It takes a certain outlook on life to be able to detach oneself from the structural constraints of a conditioned mind and see that.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. You should post here more often, I don't think I've seen you post in the GnS before.

To be whole, one must learn to be detached.

"Radical detachment from all things permits interior liberty and releases the mind and heart to reach out to truth, to the highest."

Appreciate the awareness, am humbled.

A blessed night of light and peace to you.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have eyes, my ? gets hard, ? are in abundance.

I have one life to live and a liberal view regarding male/female interaction. I love my wife and she does everything a wife should do, yet I will still ? any ? I want. Why? Busting a nut has nothing to do with maintaining my household.

I'm not gonna lie to nor deny myself the simple pleasures in life and if ? the brains out of a ? I could care less about is one of those pleasures then so be it. My urges will be satisfied and my household will continue to function as it was designed.

Too much pressure and pretension is placed on human interaction to the point weird and deviant conduits are established to release the pent up frustration. It's the reason why Du; a grown man posted a pic of himself in such a foolish costume and why kai; had her sexual frustrations put on blast in donkey a lil while ago. Yes they're "monogamous" but there is a monster inside of them waiting for the right trigger that will unleash all of that diverted yet pent up energy.

You wanna end violence and establish world peace? Do away with the concept of monogamy.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yall got a ? wantin to burn some incense in this mu'? . hahahaha
  • ReppinTime
    Options

To be whole, one must learn to be detached.

Wut. No. Detachment doesn't.even exist.in.any fashion.

This detachment ? so prevalent in eastern culture is based on fundamental misconceptions people have, namely that desire causes pain. Which is completely false, doubt and disconnection with the desire is the pain. Detachment does have benefits since it quiets but its like taking shotgun to an ant in your house. Much easier ways to get to the desired heights
  • FsK
    FsK Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is flawed logic on so many levels. I'll just address the ones I can be bothered to.

Self-justification - when a person encounters a situation in which their behaviour is inconsistent with their own or generally accepted beliefs, that person tends to attempt to justify the behavior and deny any negative feedback associated with the behavior to relieve cognitive dissonance which may cause anxiety, shame, guilt etc.

This is the sexual equivalence of 'I feel like eating ? all day'. *it makes me fat* 'Actually obesity it normal and healthy...'

People are just justifying decreases in sexual self control brought about by a multitude of factors including but not limited to...

Sex in our faces all day in many subtle ways
    the increasingly easy access to sexual material
    A lack of examples of long standing marriages

• blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    of course beta males and self centered females are gonna side wit monogamy..
    why wouldn't they?? they probably came up wit the concept together.. bunch of bitter ? mad they aint gettin no ? and ? mad cause they aint the only ? .. i can see them all huddled up in a dimly lit room jus bouncin ideas on how to destroy selective breeding..

jus sayin..
    i mean.. jus imagine a western civilization where women only ? wit ? about ? ..
    even if it meant sharing, cause sharing "something" is better then owning "nothing"...

it would force ? to be about they ? in order to have a ? ..
    ? like Du would've BEEN moved out they momma house. hahahaha

im jus sayin..

This really all that needed to be said in this here thread.

In a 100 man race where the dude in last place can get a prize, the dude in 50th dont feel that need to push himself since he know he set already.

The more accessible this whole "every man a king" idea becomes the more lazy men get , and when men are lazy ? doesn't get done efficiently.

Good posts as usual brah @BOSSExcellence‌
  • FsK
    Options
    Statistically speaking, there's a good percentage of the human population that aren't really about the monogamous life but still try it/want it because it's an attractive concept to them and they've put it on a pedestal at an early age (conditioning from the childhood fables, the Disney classics etc). I’m sure even before any of us truly knew about sex, we were aware of “one true love”.

Are you able to access these 'statistics' and the protocol for obtaining them? A 'good percentage' is what people say when they don't want to give you the details to make your mind up yourself.

There's also no presented evidence for the subsequent sentences just wild assumptions. It's particularly stupid because it assumes we all grew up watching movies/disney. There are many kids and societies that grew up without 'favles/Disney' where monogamy is the norm. The global north bias here is illogical to use when discussing such a global topic.
    Unfortunately a common occurrence experienced by monogamous people usually involves having their trust violated by an individual who naturally isn’t monogamous.

So polygamy is normal and natural....people are just conditioned to be monogamous. But then by way of contradiction it says someone that isn't naturally monogamous (implying some are), often violates a monogamous person.
    Aside from revealing that this person has no qualms with violating another person’s trust under the right circumstance, which is a separate implicative issue. When an individual in a monogamous relationship cheats it also reveals one of the following things about them:

A. That individual is expressing/revealing their true inclination regarding the concept of monogamy.

B. That individual yearns for monogamy but isn't in their ideal monogamous relationship and feels like they're missing a key element(s) in the relationship they can get elsewhere.

C. Things change over time, in the beginning the individual valued monogamy but over time his/her preference changed as they matured and found out what they truly wanted in life.
    [/spoiler]

Cheating doesn't mean you have no qualms with violating someone? That's so naive it barely deserves comment.

The point being made here is in other words failing at something means you never really wanted to do it? Not that you have poor self controll, not that it was rebellious or a reflection of issues you have with yourself or not that maybe you are influenced by this precise type of logic...it. must be because deep down you don't want to be monogamous.

So the next time I feel like assaulting people I won't stop, if I'm failing at controlling my rage it must be because naturally we are supposed to be filled with rage and murderous.
  • FsK
    Options
    FOSKA wrote: »
    Statistically speaking, there's a good percentage of the human population that aren't really about the monogamous life but still try it/want it because it's an attractive concept to them and they've put it on a pedestal at an early age (conditioning from the childhood fables, the Disney classics etc). I’m sure even before any of us truly knew about sex, we were aware of “one true love”.

Are you able to access these 'statistics' and the protocol for obtaining them? A 'good percentage' is what people say when they don't want to give you the details to make your mind up yourself.

There's also no presented evidence for the subsequent sentences just wild assumptions. It's particularly stupid because it assumes we all grew up watching movies/disney. There are many kids and societies that grew up without 'favles/Disney' where monogamy is the norm. The global north bias here is illogical to use when discussing such a global topic.
    Unfortunately a common occurrence experienced by monogamous people usually involves having their trust violated by an individual who naturally isn’t monogamous.

So polygamy is normal and natural....people are just conditioned to be monogamous. But then by way of contradiction it says someone that isn't naturally monogamous (implying some are), often violates a monogamous person.
    Aside from revealing that this person has no qualms with violating another person’s trust under the right circumstance, which is a separate implicative issue. When an individual in a monogamous relationship cheats it also reveals one of the following things about them:

A. That individual is expressing/revealing their true inclination regarding the concept of monogamy.

B. That individual yearns for monogamy but isn't in their ideal monogamous relationship and feels like they're missing a key element(s) in the relationship they can get elsewhere.

C. Things change over time, in the beginning the individual valued monogamy but over time his/her preference changed as they matured and found out what they truly wanted in life.
    [/spoiler]

Cheating doesn't mean you have no qualms with violating someone? That's so naive it barely deserves comment.

The point being made here is in other words failing at something means you never really wanted to do it? Not that you have poor self controll, not that it was rebellious or a reflection of issues you have with yourself or not that maybe you are influenced by this precise type of logic...it. must be because deep down you don't want to be monogamous.

So the next time I feel like assaulting people I won't stop, if I'm failing at controlling my rage it must be because naturally we are supposed to be filled with rage and murderous.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can have plenty of true loves come in and out of your life. The heart is so vast...there's so much room. I think that understanding that there is no perfect "one" for you is actually a requirement for a healthy relationship. Anybody in any relationship, no matter how happy, is periodically going to meet people they realize that they could have loved, had things been different. If you believe in "one true love" this emotion is apt to confuse you--which one are you meant to be with? On the other hand, if you realize that the set of people you could love is not the same as the people you DO love, you are much less likely to run off with your dance instructor in a moment of passion.

• 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monogamy is white folks ideaology. The white man is impotent and can only handle one woman so he thinks everyone else should too... Back when the Nubians ruled the world it wasn't abnormal for men to have several wives... Most black men are "unfaithful" because it's not in their nature to be with one woman... In actuality men are supposed to be polygamous by nature and woman are supposed to be monogamous.

Having said that, polygamy isn't about having sex with a bunch of different women... It's about having an extended family and spreading your seed with superior women. It takes a real MAN not MALE to do this. A man must be exceptional to take care of multiple women.
  • 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can have plenty of true loves come in and out of your life. The heart is so vast...there's so much room. I think that understanding that there is no perfect "one" for you is actually a requirement for a healthy relationship. Anybody in any relationship, no matter how happy, is periodically going to meet people they realize that they could have loved, had things been different. If you believe in "one true love" this emotion is apt to confuse you--which one are you meant to be with? On the other hand, if you realize that the set of people you could love is not the same as the people you DO love, you are much less likely to run off with your dance instructor in a moment of passion.

The heart's job is to pump blood through your body... that's IT.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    of course beta males and self centered females are gonna side wit monogamy..
    why wouldn't they?? they probably came up wit the concept together..
    bunch of bitter ? mad they aint gettin no ? and ? mad cause they aint the only ? .. i can see them all huddled up in a dimly lit room jus bouncin ideas on how to destroy selective breeding..

jus sayin..

Could be the realest ? ive read on this site
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a lotta insecurity being displayed....

if you make a choice and you happy with it... then that's whassup...

no need to downplay the next man for making a different choice
  • ReppinTime
    Options
    aw ? gmuney droppin knowledge? you go girl! nh
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aw ? gmuney droppin knowledge? you go girl! nh

I really hope it's worth it to you...
  • The Iconoclast
    Options
    @FOSKA
    You’re reducing the monogamy vs. non-monogamy discussion to a simple matter about sexual self-control. It’s much more complex than that. Are you refusing to rise to the established level of discourse in this thread on purpose or are you truly incapable of thinking critically?
    It is possible to have for example - a polyamorous relationship - and exhibit self-control while upholding established trust. To insinuate otherwise, is fallacious. Stop with the sweeping generalizations.

Marriage is a culmination of monogamy and there's various infidelity studies out there; some conclude that there’s a 30-60% chance of infidelity and some say the percentage is around 25%. Nonetheless I use the subjective word ‘good’ to the describe to percentage because it, like a word such as ‘significant’, is descriptive and encompasses all of the various studies without having to specifically chose one over the other.
    Here’s some statistics:
    http://www.toddkshackelford.com/downloads/Buss-Shackelford-JRP-1997.pdf
    http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/publications/PDF/Infidelity in hetero couples.pdf

For the record, when I say someone isn’t naturally monogamous, I’m not implying that individual is born with a preference or choice in relationships. No one is, everyone is conditioned by their environment to prefer a type of relationship and their preference is neither inherently right nor wrong. When I say natural, in this instance I’m referring to a person’s conditioned predisposition. Like Empress and others in this thread alluded to, what’s natural to one person may not be natural to another.

Nothing I said was presumptuous. Everything I actually presented as a fact, is back by statistics and empirical data.
    Anything I posted in this thread that isn’t derived from data was purposely worded to elicit subjective discourse and opinions centered on an individual’s perspective on relationships. I wanted to invoke the most intelligent/knowledgeable posters on this forum’s insight (which thankfully, I did) and I loved hearing everyone’s perspective in my thread, this isn’t a debate, this is a mature discussion.

It’s pretty ironic that you’ve criticized posts in this thread for flawed logic, when every post you’ve made in this thread is rooted in flawed logic driven by false equivalence fallacies. FWIW I prefer monogamy, but I refuse to allow you to attack non-monogamy with such flawed logic. It’s fairly obvious to anyone that you’re clearly a proponent of monogamy, so try arguing for it instead of arguing vehemently against non-monogamy. It would make your posts in here more constructive and less ignorant.

Live your life, there's no inherently right or wrong preference.
  • The Iconoclast
    Options

Agreed, especially the bolded. They were acutely spot on. Well said as usual ObnoxFresh. We appear to share the same outlook.
    DWO wrote: »
    a lotta insecurity being displayed....

if you make a choice and you happy with it... then that's whassup...

no need to downplay the next man for making a different choice
    Couldn't have said it any better myself @DWO

If you're happy with what you prefer, that's all it matters really.
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thread..

Actually was speaking my case to a friend of mine to why "I" believe that there is a "perfect one" for a person and she stated otherwise. I stand on it because if you have a list or expectations for a certain mate you're seeking, I believe that you can find that person if those expectations are reasonable with your life or life in generally...I think folks who don't believe in the whole perfect person is because their expectations of a person/mate that they have are out the box and outta touch with life..or they have too many excuses and live off of sayings such as "it's what you make of it" like what does that even mean..to me it means settling (but I'm not saying that they are wrong and I'm right) but this is just my belief that I think there is a "perfect one".
    So I stand on the fact that a monogamy can work if ppl just give ppl chances and stop settling..and stop with the outta of box expectations