Did the book of Exodus really happen?

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why doesn't archeology doesn't agree with what happened in the Torah? And a lot of it is highly exaggerated and just not true. There are cities mention in Joshua that never existed in those times. It's safe to say it has historic significance but shouldn't be taken as a completely historical book.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why doesn't archeology doesn't agree with what happened in the Torah? And a lot of it is highly exaggerated and just not true. There are cities mention in Joshua that never existed in those times. It's safe to say it has historic significance but shouldn't be taken as a completely historical book.

Don't believe the Hype, in Israel they got so much evidence locked up from archeological digs for many years, there's historical sites that's blocked off, some of them are locked and hidden away in the Vatican
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

Don't believe the Hype, in Israel they got so much evidence locked up from archeological digs for many years, there's historical sites that's blocked off, some of them are locked and hidden away in the Vatican

Could be either side to support or denounce it. Same with Egypt and Sumerian stuff. Also, read the Hebrew showing there are other Elohim and El'oa. And they are not enemies, it's deeper than hip hop and we don't have the official story in my opinion.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    WRONG. The Bible has very clear rules and regulations. Read it again.
    tell me how you determine that EVERYTHING in the Bible was meant to be taken literally. this is the statement we're discussing: "The bible was meant to be taken literally."
    People were killed for not doing certain regulations.
    doesn't really affect the argument

• Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since all the authors are dead and I dont recall one of them writing down that everything should be taken literal, whatever they intended(literal or not), is all speculation from our parts.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    tell me how you determine that EVERYTHING in the Bible was meant to be taken literally. this is the statement we're discussing: "The bible was meant to be taken literally."

The statement "the bible was meant to be taken literally" does not translate as "EVERYTHING in the bible was meant to be taken literally". That's a fallacy of division.

There are parables, metaphors, and poetic descriptive language in the bible, but the fact that many Christians (obviously the ones on here will deny it) see the bible as a collection of historical events that actually took place is the pretense of this side bar.
  • MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The statement "the bible was meant to be taken literally" does not translate as "EVERYTHING in the bible was meant to be taken literally". That's a fallacy of division.

There are parables, metaphors, and poetic descriptive language in the bible, but the fact that many Christians (obviously the ones on here will deny it) see the bible as a collection of historical events that actually took place is the pretense of this side bar.

Who made you ? tho?

Again, all of these findings and pieces of data on THEIR part is just speculation. If you want tha truth, look at what's in front of you.

If yall got out of your FEELINGS (a trait almost exclusive to Humans) and opened up your mind & heart to Christ you won't be so confused.

Everybody wasn't meant to be Ruler. Most were meant to be "Peasant". Which is a hard pill for people to swallow
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Eh, I wasn't talking to you though.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

What I mean is that the people who wrote it meant it to be literal especially the old testament. That was their culture and a lot of the words are translated to suit Western Europe's ideology and thinking.

This is explains it. I'm not a part of Western Asian religions, but it is to be logical and precise in how they understood the world around it then telling them how they understood the world from their part.

http://www.mechanical-translation.org/possible.html
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Incidentally, anyone else getting the "your post will appear after it has been moderated" box appearing constantly so they have to repost their stuff 4-6 times or is it just me?

I think you, because you are doing a lot of ethering.
  • waterproof
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

Could be either side to support or denounce it. Same with Egypt and Sumerian stuff. Also, read the Hebrew showing there are other Elohim and El'oa. And they are not enemies, it's deeper than hip hop and we don't have the official story in my opinion.

Brother scripture says there's elohims, But there is only one who is above them all, and everything that he speaks came into existence, you want to know how Egypt fall, and who was the cause read the Torah,

You want to know where the original Egyptians descendants are when some left during the invasion read the Torah those people are right in that spot today
  • waterproof
    Options
    Who made us ? ?

The really question is, why did we make ? ?

The simple truth it before people knew better, before science and mathematics, it was easier to assume the weather, natural phenomena, plagues and diseases were a result of ? 's punishing mankind. It's why people that got the plague self flagellated rather than, you know, not ? and ? in the street, attracting rats and infecting the water supply.

Now we know better, we understand the ideas of disinfecting, cross contamination, not ? where you eat, drainage and sanitation... we don't need to believe in invisible forces that exist on other planes of existence. We used to think angels lived in the clouds and Heaven was in the sky before we invented jets.

"pieces of data are just speculation"?

Let me drop this once again...

degrasse1.gif
    degrasse2.gif
    degrasse3.gif
    degrasse4.gif
    tumblr_mm2sdrnnk41r01w8mo1_500.gif

Science is science. It is proven, not invested in by the deluded who called their wrong headed and learned propaganda "faith". Science to you is not more valid than a 1800 year old collection of stories based on reinterpreted Akkadian myths? Do you realise the first higher ? that unified faiths was the two headed jaguar serpent of the Olmec people?

Do you even understand the principle of the scientific method? The idea of the half life of facts, the constant reappraisal and formation of new methods to better understand the universe and our natural world?

There is evidence a man named Jesus who came from Nazareth preached the Jewish faith as a wandering prophet with disciples but beyond that, there is nothing more to substantiate any of the myths or miracles he is alleged to have carried out.

Those ancient Hebrew science and miracles that the Messiah done is the same thing that the Yogis Dravidians are doing and been doing for centuries
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Incidentally, anyone else getting the "your post will appear after it has been moderated" box appearing constantly so they have to repost their stuff 4-6 times or is it just me?

Yeah. Somebody got their feelings hurt.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    then why are you disputing my contention that not every part of the Bible --possibly to include Exodus-- is meant to be taken literally?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly. The truth is hurtful to people at times. But it needs to be said because the Bible ? historically has caused a lot of problems and misery for human kind. I believe in some kind of higher power but not the kind of nonsense seen in the Bible.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly. The truth is hurtful to people at times. But it needs to be said because the Bible ? historically has caused a lot of problems and misery for human kind. I believe in some kind of higher power but not the kind of nonsense seen in the Bible.

So you believe in a higher power but it has to act according to what makes sense to you??? does that really make sense to you
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

So you believe in a higher power but it has to act according to what makes sense to you??? does that really make sense to you

*slams fist on the table

there is more to the world than the bible. Just like you probably think the bvagavad gita(spell check) is loaded with non sense, mr.kingblaze feels the same regarding your christian bible.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »

*slams fist on the table

there is more to the world than the bible. Just like you probably think the bvagavad gita(spell check) is loaded with non sense, mr.kingblaze feels the same regarding your christian bible.

I actually don't think the bhagavad gita is filled with nonsense i think it's beatiful
    i just don't believe in it's teachings about the nature of the world and it's creation

i don't hate any other religion kingblaze hates mine. well that's not 100% true i do actually hate/respect islam but that's only because i believe it's the religion of the anti-christ
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »

*slams fist on the table

I actually don't think the bhagavad gita is filled with nonsense i think it's beatiful
    i just don't believe in it's teachings about the nature of the world and it's creation

i don't hate any other religion kingblaze hates mine. well that's not 100% true i do actually hate/respect islam but that's only because i believe it's the religion of the anti-christ

Ok fam, more power to you
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    Wait. ....

So now Neil DeGrasse Tyson is wittier and more skilled than ? himself?

Since when was Mankind able to do things that ? can't?

Since when was ? not a Scientist?

Since when was it cool to deny the creator? #ether

But just like my "everybody always seems to talk about Jesus" thread I'm sure you'll just ignore those questions and ramble on some other ? hoping I'll forget becuz no one here who's against Christianity or doesn't rock with it can answer those simple questions without exposing their own insecurities about whatever they believe in

Its funny how that works. U got so called Scholars who spend their life debating but can't even answer the simplest questions or handle a little bit of pressure

I'm not looking for an essay (becuz I won't read it). Just something simple. A paragraph or two. If you need more than that then clearly you aren't subscribed to whatever you believe in as much as you think
  • MoneyLuver
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Its like becuz SOME people figured out how ? did something that automatically makes what he did less magical and not real

Mankind has always worshiped other Gods and therefore Mankind has always suffered. The devil be in tha details, use your brain that u claim is so brilliant

But I'm still curious to hear responses to my questions without tha Circus. No more no less. Can anybody handle that simple task :)]
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    Wait. ....

But just like my "everybody always seems to talk about Jesus" thread I'm sure you'll just ignore those questions and ramble on some other ? hoping I'll forget becuz no one here who's against Christianity or doesn't rock with it can answer those simple questions without exposing their own insecurities about whatever they believe in

Its funny how that works. U got so called Scholars who spend their life debating but can't even answer the simplest questions or handle a little bit of pressure

I'm not looking for an essay (becuz I won't read it). Just something simple. A paragraph or two. If you need more than that then clearly you aren't subscribed to whatever you believe in as much as you think

Possibly Neil could be, we don't know if this being exists or not and if we are believing the right creator.

We don't know if ? is all powerful and again that's what religious leaders say. I have no clue about the limitations and if we could do things it can't.

We don't know if it's a natural creation or if he was wouldn't be surprised if it was either.

Since, we cannot verify if there is one and since those use the scientific method and not believe someone else beliefs then it makes sense. Why would someone believe in something and cannot communicate using the 5 senses. So their logic is somewhat valid, it's better to say I cannot prove a ? exist nor disprove one exist.

I hoped I answered so of your questions.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    then why are you disputing my contention that not every part of the Bible --possibly to include Exodus-- is meant to be taken literally?

Because there is nothing in the book of Exodus which indicates that it was anything less than a historical account of actual events.

Jesus's parables were obviously fictitious. Dragons falling out of the sky is clearly poetic description. Using real names, locations, timespans, etc without any pretense which would suggest hyperbole or fiction is a clear reach for authenticity.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Yo moneylover this thread ain't for you. You just

1. Said your G-d uses magic
    2. Said your G-d is a scientist. Scientists progress through trial and error to discover the unknown. (They also don't use magic) That's a can of worms you don't want to open.
    3. Used a hash tag.

Stop posting here.
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    Wait. ....

Possibly Neil could be, we don't know if this being exists or not and if we are believing the right creator.

We don't know if ? is all powerful and again that's what religious leaders say. I have no clue about the limitations and if we could do things it can't.

We don't know if it's a natural creation or if he was wouldn't be surprised if it was either.

Since, we cannot verify if there is one and since those use the scientific method and not believe someone else beliefs then it makes sense. Why would someone believe in something and cannot communicate using the 5 senses. So their logic is somewhat valid, it's better to say I cannot prove a ? exist nor disprove one exist.

I hoped I answered so of your questions.

And if you subscribe to that type of thinking then you must believe that Sean Bell, Rodney King, Trayvon Martin, and Mike Brown weren't racially profiled becuz they were Black.