In poll after poll, why are so many Americans so dissatisfied with America today?

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    can we just admit that things are not as bad as you think they are nor were they ever as good as you remember.

people cannot see past their nose, they don't have the education to see the whole macro-economic picture and by the monetarily ignorant crying about how bad things are all they do is slow down the growth process.

now america has issue it needs to fix but quite honestly, the sky is not falling even our large debt is as hugs of a problem as people think it is and will be dealt with

If I was to go based on my life, I would agree with you. But based on all the data out there, and people I personally know all over the nation, things are NOT that good. I will admit things in America were never that much better but according to every older person I know and talk to, things economically and cost of living wise were MUCH better then now. A family back in the day could support a 4 member household with one middle class income, now? That's a dream. The massive debt America has is cheapening the worth of the dollar, and is making the lives of the avg American more and more difficult. Reality is this, all these different polls show the same thing: Americans DO NOT think things in America are that good now. Americans are all over the nation are suffering in more and more ways as the debt grows and grows.

Imagine how high the cost of living will be in 10 years. I love kids but thank ? almighty I don't have any. To all the parents out there, stay strong, ya'll will need the strength down the line, if not now.

Any data that is opinion based is emotion based and is of limited importance. judging by how people feel is an inferior policy. feelings can change in a blink of an eye and like i said earlier the american economy of 50 years ago and it's lifestyle was an aberration from the norm we are not ever going to go back to that i don't think.

america is going through a adjustment period and the nature of the american economy has changed from what is was 50 years ago. the kind of jobs we have are different from granddad's but americans still expect to live like granddad.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    because americans have a sense of entitlement and a warped view of what america is supposed to be
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    -but I was noting that some Hispanics aren't really White and some of them are still clicking White on Census forms.
    honestly, never seen it happen, but that's admittedly anecdotal. but are we talking "wrote it on a form" or "Hispanic dude that janklow would call "non-white" declares to people's faces that he is, in fact, white?"
    As far as Bush, yes the Iraq War didn't directly cause the economic downturn but it still wasted a lot of money that Americans could have better spent the money on.
    a fair argument, but in this case i am strictly saying it's unfair to blame the downturn on the Iraq War

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    -but I was noting that some Hispanics aren't really White and some of them are still clicking White on Census forms.
    honestly, never seen it happen, but that's admittedly anecdotal. but are we talking "wrote it on a form" or "Hispanic dude that janklow would call "non-white" declares to people's faces that he is, in fact, white?"
    As far as Bush, yes the Iraq War didn't directly cause the economic downturn but it still wasted a lot of money that Americans could have better spent the money on.
    a fair argument, but in this case i am strictly saying it's unfair to blame the downturn on the Iraq War

Yeah there are some Hispanics who don't look White who do declare themselves white on Census forms. I agree most Hispanics who do declare themselves White usually are White but there are Youtube videos in which Native Americans go to some Hispanic gatherings and the amount of people there who said their race was White was surprising, considering many of these people obviously weren't White. I'll post one of those videos up soon, someone on this forum posted it up before
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah there are some Hispanics who don't look White who do declare themselves white on Census forms. I agree most Hispanics who do declare themselves White usually are White but there are Youtube videos in which Native Americans go to some Hispanic gatherings and the amount of people there who said their race was White was surprising, considering many of these people obviously weren't White. I'll post one of those videos up soon, someone on this forum posted it up before
    i am going to need a lengthy article as i generally decline to watch internet videos that don't involve firearm maintenance

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    i am going to need a lengthy article as i generally decline to watch internet videos that don't involve firearm maintenance

Blah forget it lol. The sources are out there but either way we agree that most of the Hispanics who claim White actually are

I wonder how that will effect the immigration debate down the line as White Hispanics increase. I'm guessing they will be tougher and tougher on immigration, as most Americans are turning like this lately. One reason why Obama hasn't done more on amnesty the way many Hispanics want
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    hoesarefun wrote: »
    because americans have a sense of entitlement and a warped view of what america is supposed to be

75% of Americans though? Seems it's deeper then that, the numbers weren't always like this and all races feel about the same way. Blacks are more dissatisfied then almost anyone, most Blacks have a sense of entitlement huh? Sounds like some Rush Limbaugh or Bill O' Reilly ?
  • zombie
    Options

75% of Americans though? Seems it's deeper then that, the numbers weren't always like this and all races feel about the same way. Blacks are more dissatisfied then almost anyone, most Blacks have a sense of entitlement huh? Sounds like some Rush Limbaugh or Bill O' Reilly ?

yes 75% of americans have always lived in LA-LA land never excepting the reality in which they live. why do you think that in every election people vote against their economic interest ?? the average american is emotional not logical we are lead by our bellies and not our heads and it's been that way since the soliders came home from ww2 and i can bet you that the percentage of americans who feel things are getting better will increase when obama is gone.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was only one point in history when ? was all good, and that was due to propaganda in the 50s. If you weren't thrown on a list, you were lumped in with all the other people who were said to have the American Dream (unless you were minority) Trust in the fact that black folks were not included in those numbers as we were getting lynched and forced off the road into the gutter. Most of those polls indicate that crackers want their plantations back.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When have we as Americans EVER been satisfied with America?...? beenfuckedup for a longfuckingtime...
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options

yes 75% of americans have always lived in LA-LA land never excepting the reality in which they live. why do you think that in every election people vote against their economic interest ?? the average american is emotional not logical we are lead by our bellies and not our heads and it's been that way since the soliders came home from ww2 and i can bet you that the percentage of americans who feel things are getting better will increase when obama is gone.

I don't know if Obama being gone from office will automatically make people feel more confident in America's present or future, it could go either way, depending on who takes his place. Things could be worse, better or the same.

And I do agree Americans generally are an emotional people, compared to nations worldwide who often are more pragmatic and less involved in the business of other nations compared to us. But are you saying basically that Americans SHOULD be satisfied with the state of the country?? If so why, and if not, then it will be awhile before Americans realize the horrible voting choices they have made the last few years or even decades.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    There was only one point in history when ? was all good, and that was due to propaganda in the 50s. If you weren't thrown on a list, you were lumped in with all the other people who were said to have the American Dream (unless you were minority) Trust in the fact that black folks were not included in those numbers as we were getting lynched and forced off the road into the gutter. Most of those polls indicate that crackers want their plantations back.

Hmm, I don't know maybe I know older Black people who do better then avg or something but a lot of them say things seemed much more relaxed and calm economically and socially back in the 90s and late 80s. They all say cost of living was cheaper then now, and most of them still work. Even the early 2000s, according to Gallup, saw Americans in a more positive mood, and that cuts across all racial boundaries

I know what you trying to say though
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hmm, I don't know maybe I know older Black people who do better then avg or something but a lot of them say things seemed much more relaxed and calm economically and socially back in the 90s and late 80s. They all say cost of living was cheaper then now, and most of them still work. Even the early 2000s, according to Gallup, saw Americans in a more positive mood, and that cuts across all racial boundaries

More calm socially in the 90s and 80s. LMAO. You mean the ? era? smh. Black folks weren't eating back then. I guess crackers were doing good sniffing coke and ? the economy. I will say cost of living was cheaper, but then everybody wasn't trying to go to college and get a house then. Most jobs was working class and people were satisfied with that because industries weren't sent over seas, but that stuff started showing its face in the 90s. I guess people thought it was sweet because of the fall of the Berlin wall and no wars, but the hood was far more ? up back then. I see those polls only serving a certain type of people.
  • janklow
    Options
    I wonder how that will effect the immigration debate down the line as White Hispanics increase. I'm guessing they will be tougher and tougher on immigration, as most Americans are turning like this lately. One reason why Obama hasn't done more on amnesty the way many Hispanics want
    it actually seems like more of an age/generation thing: the longer immigrants are here, or the further removed from the actual immigration their descendants are, the tougher they are on immigration. which is really not surprising.

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options

More calm socially in the 90s and 80s. LMAO. You mean the ? era? smh. Black folks weren't eating back then. I guess crackers were doing good sniffing coke and ? the economy. I will say cost of living was cheaper, but then everybody wasn't trying to go to college and get a house then. Most jobs was working class and people were satisfied with that because industries weren't sent over seas, but that stuff started showing its face in the 90s. I guess people thought it was sweet because of the fall of the Berlin wall and no wars, but the hood was far more ? up back then. I see those polls only serving a certain type of people.

Most Black folks weren't eating in the 90s? IDK about that lol, but we agree cost of living was much cheaper then and that is probably clouding the way many Americans feel about today's time. Sadly, those days aren't gonna come back, the debt is way too massive now and with the moves China and Russia are making behind the scenes, the dollar could lose more of its power. This is what American and Asian sources are saying. I HOPE those sources are wrong, with better politicians this problem can be improved, if Americans are willing to swallow a diff standard of living....? era 80s was bad of course but I said the late 80s, a time in which older people have told me things were getting a little better, maybe that's not true but it's what I hear. Industries shipping jobs overseas is one of the big killers of the way Americans feel about today's job market, especially the ones without higher education. Crimes is down now, especially in the hood I will give you that
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    it actually seems like more of an age/generation thing: the longer immigrants are here, or the further removed from the actual immigration their descendants are, the tougher they are on immigration. which is really not surprising.

Yeah, should be interesting in how Republicans and Democrats treat them before the midterm elections...
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options

Most Black folks weren't eating in the 90s? IDK about that lol, but we agree cost of living was much cheaper then and that is probably clouding the way many Americans feel about today's time. Sadly, those days aren't gonna come back, the debt is way too massive now and with the moves China and Russia are making behind the scenes, the dollar could lose more of its power. This is what American and Asian sources are saying. I HOPE those sources are wrong, with better politicians this problem can be improved, if Americans are willing to swallow a diff standard of living....? era 80s was bad of course but I said the late 80s, a time in which older people have told me things were getting a little better, maybe that's not true but it's what I hear. Industries shipping jobs overseas is one of the big killers of the way Americans feel about today's job market, especially the ones without higher education. Crimes is down now, especially in the hood I will give you that

The late 80s and early 90s was the ? erra and gangs and death was at an all time high then. I was responding to your moment of calm statement though, but i guess if your are speaking about economic calm, it didn't seem sweeter, but that's because all the fuckery was being masked and nobody was doing anything to prevent the economic collapse that occurred. I mean, it would be obvious that a recession and cost of living increase that has been happening year after year would make people salty. Regardless, black folks were always under employed and had high unemployment rates and jail rates. I can't be concerned with crackers and Asians. Many industries have started coming home within the last few years and there are many home grown industries like Tesla and Makerbot that is growing. Regardless, technology no matter where at, will erode jobs.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    White cracka cops acting like this isn't helping.....this cop dash cam was taken just this week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtx1tYc7PxI
  • kingblaze84
    Options

The late 80s and early 90s was the ? erra and gangs and death was at an all time high then. I was responding to your moment of calm statement though, but i guess if your are speaking about economic calm, it didn't seem sweeter, but that's because all the fuckery was being masked and nobody was doing anything to prevent the economic collapse that occurred. I mean, it would be obvious that a recession and cost of living increase that has been happening year after year would make people salty. Regardless, black folks were always under employed and had high unemployment rates and jail rates. I can't be concerned with crackers and Asians. Many industries have started coming home within the last few years and there are many home grown industries like Tesla and Makerbot that is growing. Regardless, technology no matter where at, will erode jobs.

I hear what you saying, Americans economically are still nostalgic about the 90s (look at Bill Clinton's high poll numbers, even among the Black community then and now ) and maybe the people I talk to did better in the late 80s and 90s compared to most. Cost of living is probably the biggest reason for this, which is ironic considering everything you said.

Technology without a doubt is eroding many former high paying jobs and that's adding to the problems Americans have. The educated and gifted can take advantage of this new technology though, maybe that will help lift the tides of others. Hopefully some kind of comeback is made, politically and economically.
  • zombie
    Options

I don't know if Obama being gone from office will automatically make people feel more confident in America's present or future, it could go either way, depending on who takes his place. Things could be worse, better or the same.

And I do agree Americans generally are an emotional people, compared to nations worldwide who often are more pragmatic and less involved in the business of other nations compared to us. But are you saying basically that Americans SHOULD be satisfied with the state of the country?? If so why, and if not, then it will be awhile before Americans realize the horrible voting choices they have made the last few years or even decades.

all people should strive to better the nations they are living in but americans don't keep things in perspective and that's why they whine so much.
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah, should be interesting in how Republicans and Democrats treat them before the midterm elections...
    right now, i think everyone's pretending no one cares about immigration so Democrats can attempt to win in red states

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options

all people should strive to better the nations they are living in but americans don't keep things in perspective and that's why they whine so much.

Hard to tell Americans to stop whining when inflation and cost of living is out of control for so many....even with perspective, it always comes back to the pocket book. When the war in Syria escalates and we become more bankrupt, Americans will look at these days as the good old days....all because Americans often do things against their self interest as you said
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    right now, i think everyone's pretending no one cares about immigration so Democrats can attempt to win in red states

Yeah I haven't heard much about immigration from Dems lately, just stuff about women's rights and raising the minimum wage. Not sure if this will be enough to help them win, these things aren't exactly in most peoples' minds now (minus abortion rights which is always big for women)
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah I haven't heard much about immigration from Dems lately, just stuff about women's rights and raising the minimum wage. Not sure if this will be enough to help them win, these things aren't exactly in most peoples' minds now (minus abortion rights which is always big for women)
    well, by hitting the womens' rights stuff, they're trying to get female voters out to the polls, and by hitting the minimum wage, they're trying to push the populism (which is a little ? since the concept of the Koches being EVIL AS ? but Steyr and Bloomberg and blah blah blah being Righteous Warriors for Truth is, of course, hypocritical). so i get these things.

but either way, they're kind of playing a double game on immigration

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    well, by hitting the womens' rights stuff, they're trying to get female voters out to the polls, and by hitting the minimum wage, they're trying to push the populism (which is a little ? since the concept of the Koches being EVIL AS ? but Steyr and Bloomberg and blah blah blah being Righteous Warriors for Truth is, of course, hypocritical). so i get these things.

but either way, they're kind of playing a double game on immigration

Yeah I hear that, raising the minimum wage sounds good in some ways but in other ways it would hurt small businesses who barely make a profit, so the business community beyond the Koch brothers are gonna be a pain in the ass for Dems in November. Playing a double game on immigration is a smart move for Dems, good way to lead Hispanics on and not ? off the many Americans who are already mad about the border

Even after the midterm elections, I don't think Obama will go as big on amnesty as people may think. Then again, he is known to surprise us (if Republicans capture the Senate and House you can disregard this sentence)