Woman Films Herself Walking on the Streets of NYC for a Day. (Street Harassment Propaganda)

Options

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 44% figure includes White Hispanics
    Nonhispanic nonlatino Whites are only 33% of the population
    Asians are 12.7% of the population and not present in the video at all

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/3651000.html
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this video is tearing the nation apart!
  • TheHeroNoltey
    TheHeroNoltey Members Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    ms.jones wrote: »
    It costs me nothing to exchange pleasantries, or exchange a quick witted response to what I deem disrespectful. I can't stop a man from speaking, just as he can't stop me from turning him down.

So what happens when two or three advances ( expecting responses, btw ) turns to twenty or thirty?

They don't hear you.

Bunch of chauvinists and women who don't understand the reality. This is what it must feel like to be in a tea party meeting.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL some female posters have eloquently given their opinions on this issue and some "men/males" here still feel the need to question their responses and of course generate feelings. ..

This what I don't understand. Oh well
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This just a new way to revise "Stop and Frisk" since they conveniently edited out the white guys. I read somewhere that Wall Street is the worse for so called "Street Harassment."
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL some female posters have eloquently given their opinions on this issue and some "men/males" here still feel the need to question their responses and of course generate feelings. ..

You can't be serious b. How many women replied to this thread? 5? 10? And we're supposed to put a lot of weight on that?

And how many of those women said that while most of these individual incidents do not amount to harassment, cumulatively these things get annoying?

Moreover, even if every woman doesn't mind this constant attention, there are many women who do. Don't believe me? Check the comments here: http://jezebel.com/watch-a-woman-experience-100-instances-of-street-harass-1651800051
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I sure hope someone makes a legit rebuttal vid

Funny thing is, that video is the rebuttal.

I was expecting to see some real ignorant footage, but it was relatively tame for the most part.

All that time walking the streets of NY and it was only 2 or 3 dudes who really crossed the line.

Basically, if anything, the video proves that the severity of the alleged "harassment" some women claim to experience isn't as bad as they're making it out to be.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ladies, is it still a guys job to approach you or nah?
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options

You can't be serious b. How many women replied to this thread? 5? 10? And we're supposed to put a lot of weight on that?

And how many of those women said that while most of these individual incidents do not amount to harassment, cumulatively these things get annoying?

Moreover, even if every woman doesn't mind this constant attention, there are many women who do. Don't believe me? Check the comments here: http://jezebel.com/watch-a-woman-experience-100-instances-of-street-harass-1651800051

Exactly. These ? think that just because a few femmes agree with them, that there's no point on the other side of the argument.

The fact that the vid was horribly made and pushes a potential agenda is ? obvious; But the way these ? have harped on those few shallow points, extrapolating in order to bash women as a gender ( yet again ), all while desperately clinging to any woman that agrees with them, banding together behind social entitlements like frat boys is just.. I don't even know anymore..

Willful ignorance is real.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the thing is why she only posting ? following her and not white boys and other races of men?
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly. These ? think that just because a few femmes agree with them, that there's no point on the other side of the argument.

The fact that the vid was horribly made and pushes a potential agenda is ? obvious; But the way these ? have harped on those few shallow points, extrapolating in order to bash women as a gender ( yet again ), all while desperately clinging to any woman that agrees with them, banding together behind social entitlements like frat boys is just.. I don't even know anymore..

No, I think we all agree REAL street harrassment is horrible. Dudes catching attitude after being turned down or following a chick is all corny ? . I don't even think the dudes that do it would disagree with that once they're made cognizant of what they're doing b/c they sure would be ? if someone does it to their mother, sister or significant other.

The issue becomes are you really going to demonize and criminalize, which is the ultimate goal of this little movement let's not kid ourselves, every interaction between strangers in public. We understand that receiving "good mornings" and "how are you's" on the regular can become an annoyance but that's why the good lord gave you free will and ? mouth to voice your displeasure with.

B/c when you criminalize some trivial ? like being told "good morning beautiful" not only are you opening up a pandoras box or police harassment but you're also ignoring the many woman who not only don't mind the approaches but also look forward to it.

Is it harassment when random woman walk up to each other and compliment the others hair or attire? No. ? walked around for 10 hours and we saw about 3 real instances of street harassment and that was more than enough. Everything else was highly unnecessary.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think she is obligated to respond to everyone who says hello... thats asking a lot...

lol

Either I'm reading too much into it, or this post went over a lot of people's heads.

I mean.....it's really "asking a lot" to respond to someone who says hello???

sarkozy_laugh.gif
  • b4rPnQrC32H4cT
    b4rPnQrC32H4cT Members Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Options
    the thing is why she only posting ? following her and not white boys and other races of men?

To this

Hollaback! one of the groups behind the video

from their official website:
    Is Street Harassment a Cultural Thing?

Like all forms of gender-based violence, street harassers fall evenly across lines of race and class. It is a longstanding myth that street harassment is a “cultural” thing, perpetrated mostly by men of color. We believe that street harassment is a “cultural” thing in the sense that it emerges from a culture of sexism — and unfortunately — that is everyone’s culture.

It’s important to keep in mind that is this video only captures verbal harassment, and Rob and Shoshana can attest to the harassment overall falling evenly along race and class lines. While filming, Shoshana noted, “I’m harassed when I smile and I’m harassed when I don’t. I’m harassed by white men, black men, latino men. Not a day goes by when I don’t experience this.”

Their website

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

are you a ? ? like forreal?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've spoken to many females without trying to holla *shrugs*
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In defense of beam he is not a homosexual his positions on these issues basically makes him a male feminist which basically means he's been neutered. He ALWAYS argues for the female side in these kinds of threads
  • b4rPnQrC32H4cT
    b4rPnQrC32H4cT Members Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You guys see this yet?
    64263_10205105780506732_2306233837820070981_n.jpg?oh=725e745a4c0eeb94a3096284bdea5355&oe=54DF5718&__gda__=1425572714_1dd253928b81d239f2e9a61606eab4fb

This isn't racial at all...

Heh. You noticed that too, eh?

Strong everything.