Rappers that failed to live up their potential

Options

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Mic Geronimo- I remember when it was a legit question to ask who was better he or Nas, but just like the Kobe vs T Mac debate there's no argument. However he was the guy during the mid 90's that had "next" he was even affiliated with Irv Gotti.

I think what happened with Mic was that he got aligned with Puff for some mainstream production on the Vendetta album and it didn't go over too well with his core fanbase. They dipped on him. So he tried to come back with his OG style, but it was too late.

S2J wrote: »
    Ok yall goin too far. AZ? Beans? Lol Yall namin nggas that had albums, singles, videos, etc

EVERYBODY aint gon be pop stars.

It wasn't that they had to be pop stars, but something in the game kept them from becoming a factor. AZ and Beans dropped plenty of radio friendly and mainstream material, but for some reason it was all washed away. I feel the reason for Beans was that he was TOOOOO much involved in the streets, so he DQ'd himself. AZ still can drop radio quality material, and it's ignored.

Yeah I remember that single with Puffy doing adlibs and Kelly Price on the hook.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Tical is a classic, ? your opinions

I'll bet everything I own that you don't remember when it came out. ? thought it was trash.

ernie.gif
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    To add on about ? . He got 4 solos(all dope expect 1) sure but he also is apart of 5 wu albums, 2 red and ? albums and add on the wu massacre joint. thats 12 projects he been apart of in 20 years, crazy amount of guest appearances that im sure many of you just mainstream listening to ass ? never heard and add on his acting career. is his work ethic the same as ghost? No but he's not as "lazy" as you guys make him out to be
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll bet everything I own that you don't remember when it came out. ? thought it was trash.

ernie.gif

it's true. people were underwhelmed by it. they were expecting more and it fell flat.

i was in the middle of that ? back in 94/95, and the scales were leaning more towards "he could have done better". the term 'trash' was thrown around here and there, but the majority were disappointed with how flat it was.

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tical was underwhelming when it dropped but to say it was trash is off base...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »

ernie.gif

it's true. people were underwhelmed by it. they were expecting more and it fell flat.

i was in the middle of that ? back in 94/95, and the scales were leaning more towards "he could have done better". the term 'trash' was thrown around here and there, but the majority were disappointed with how flat it was.

Thank you. I'm sick of revisionist history. Nobody in 94 thought Tical was as good as Illmatic, ? , The Sun Rises In The East, Ready to Die, Midnight Marauders or Lethal Injection. In fact, nobody thought Tical was as good as Enter the Wu: 36 Chambers. Now That was a classic.

People were expecting more from ? . He came across as the lead MC on Enter the Wu. He shined more than anybody on that first Wu album, he even had a solo single on the album.

When Bring the Pain dropped we were ready for something epic. We were expecting something like Only built For Cuban Linx.

Compare those two albums and tell me which one is the classic.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tical is a really good album, but it isn't close to classic. Method man had it all. Skills, flow, charisma, everything. Everyone thought he was going to be one of the GOAT's, and it just didn't happen. He sold well, but from a music standpoint, he pretty much got passed up by every other relevant member of the Wu. ? ODB has two classics.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Listen ? , Idgaf about what people thought about the album when It dropped. thats not the definition of a classic. The album is still dope to this day
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TICAL IS A DOPE ALBUM TO ME, 4/5 THO
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tical is a really good album, but it isn't close to classic. Method man had it all. Skills, flow, charisma, everything. Everyone thought he was going to be one of the GOAT's, and it just didn't happen. He sold well, but from a music standpoint, he pretty much got passed up by every other relevant member of the Wu. ? ODB has two classics.

Yeah, anybody that uses "Tical" and "Classic" in the same sentence obviously wasn't around when it came out. I wouldn't say his hype was quite like 50 Cent but his hype was pretty big. people were expecting a 5 mic classic and got a 3.5 mic album.

Tical wasn't even a top 10 album in 1994
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tical isn't classic, but I don't remember people saying it was trash.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Zr
    Lauryn Hill/3 stacks:
    Discographies are way too short as a solo artists

Chamillionaire:
    Wide subject matter. Has had radio success and is accepted as a legit talent in the Houston area

Zro:
    Should be much bigger than he is. Prison stints have hurt Joseph McVeighs potential.

Lupe:.
    Underboss of lyricism. Has had hit singles. Had jayz exec produce his debut. Really should be megastar by now.

I think Zro said that he didn't wanna be mainstream.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »
    lady of rage

HER DEATH ROW ALBUM WAS NICE, BUT HAD HORRIBLE TIMING
    SHE BODIED EVERY TRACK
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    As for Blu, dude still dropping heat. as a matter of fact he got one of the best albums of the year

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

plus he killed that song with rapsody on 9th wonders album

• Built 4 cuban linx
    edited November 2014
    Options
    And I think I seen ras kass named also, The album he just dropped with apollo brown a few weeks ago was fire too
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for Blu, dude still dropping heat. as a matter of fact he got one of the best albums of the year

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

Last time i checked him i actually bought the "give me flowers b4 i die" (i think thats the name) album.

? kinda put me to sleep the 2 times i tried to listen to it
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

Last time i checked him i actually bought the "give me flowers b4 i die" (i think thats the name) album.

lol give me my flowers while I can still smell them, I actually liked that too but to each his own I guess. His best album is below the heavens imo, check that out, If you dont like that then he's not for you
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

lol give me my flowers while I can still smell them, I actually liked that too but to each his own I guess. His best album is below the heavens imo, check that out, If you dont like that then he's not for you

Ive heard that album is dope. Its like $18 or something on iTunes last time i checked which is way expensive for a digital copy. Thats why i never heard it
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Yeah that price is crazy for a damn digital copy smh
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Yeah that price is crazy for a damn digital copy smh

Im at work today but imma see tomorrow if its on spotify.

If it is imma give it a listen and contribute to the "albums i never got around to" thread
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    missing that K.B. Da Kidnappa street cred..
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign on lupe, juelz and lloyd banks.

Twista is another.

Stack bundles was on his way had he not been murdered.
  • Go figure
    Options
    And rich boy.

Dude had his own style n the beats were crazy. Idk why he never blew up.
  • Go figure
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    And Imo stack Bundles gets a bit of the 'rapper who died' push. Never thought he was nice, but r.i.p.

He was gettin more n more shine and his style fit that era in rap when jim jones came out with hustlers pome but he was better than jimmy.

He wouldve eventually had to evolve his style to pop but he was definitely on the rise.