Rappers that failed to live up their potential

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Same for Fabolous. What exactly didnt he do that he could have?

Ngga been in the game FIFTEEN years, and is still in tune with the essence of the culture (he's the IG rapper).

He was never deep or a 'serious' rapper sooo...he's had a helluva career. He sold when their was money in albums, and now that there's not he still relevant

Classic album for starters.

Fab, along with Banks, Juelz etc were supposed to be the standard bearers for NY and Fab specifically was pegged to be the heir to Jay-Z and he never made it.

True he been in the game 15 years but his POTENTIAL was far greater than his output has been. He hasn't made an album worth discussing, he isn't considered a legend or an icon or anything of the sort and he been in the game 15 years!

Hes a journeyman when he had te potential to be a star. That's why he belongs in this thread.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FAB A CLUE TAPE LEGEND LOL
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Twisted Black

got arrested right after signing to TVT in Summer 2006 and got locked up for 30 years a month before his major label debut came out in March 2007
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for Blu, dude still dropping heat. as a matter of fact he got one of the best albums of the year

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

plus he killed that song with rapsody on 9th wonders album

if only that album was mixed right, smh.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate that chamillionaire started that no profanity ? . He killed all the momentum he had after The Sound of Revenge. Had some jams on Ultimate Victory though. I thought he should've ran with ? Mode as a single instead of Hip hop police or whatever the ? it was called.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HulkHustle wrote: »
    I hate that chamillionaire started that no profanity ? . He killed all the momentum he had after The Sound of Revenge. Had some jams on Ultimate Victory though. I thought he should've ran with ? Mode as a single instead of Hip hop police or whatever the ? it was called.

Track with Devin the Dude was dope
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlvBzW9tfvg
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    And Imo stack Bundles gets a bit of the 'rapper who died' push. Never thought he was nice, but r.i.p.

Respectfully, I hate when ? say this. He was nice imo cuz he of his talent when he was alive, not cuz he died. Plenty if others dudes right after him and I don't think of them as highly as I did if Stacks. Stacks ability to connect each line to the next, punchline metaphors, "truisms", and authentic but unique NY flow, his ability to write hits for others (aka We Fly High, Pin the Tail on the Donkey).

He was gonna be that antithesis of what Drake is but with the equal star power and perhaps talent.
    Nicki Minaj Meets/Freestyles For Stack Bundles: http://youtu.be/MNOcqne5gVw

I just hate it when people online just have that knee ? reaction to think someone is overrated just cuz he died.

Stack Bundles Ali Vegas Diss: http://youtu.be/_NcvZW2eMDY
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Slick Ricks career was damaged by his prison stint. His 1st album was classic and 2nd ans 3rd were rushed to be completed before his sentence.

Still a GOAT imo but i believe his albums could have been more
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wont let you down would have been a much better first single than that hip hop police ?

boy went platinum n thought he could switch it up

lost alot of his fanbase that was ? wit em back in his swisha house/paid in full/ccc days doin that ?
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Method Man. He's the Rasheed Wallace of Hip Hop. Someone who had goat potential but settled for being merely good.

This was a great analogy!

As great as he was on offense, Sheed was waaayyyyyy to passive.

• eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Same for Fabolous. What exactly didnt he do that he could have?

Ngga been in the game FIFTEEN years, and is still in tune with the essence of the culture (he's the IG rapper).

He was never deep or a 'serious' rapper sooo...he's had a helluva career. He sold when their was money in albums, and now that there's not he still relevant

Classic album for starters.

Fab, along with Banks, Juelz etc were supposed to be the standard bearers for NY and Fab specifically was pegged to be the heir to Jay-Z and he never made it.

True he been in the game 15 years but his POTENTIAL was far greater than his output has been. He hasn't made an album worth discussing, he isn't considered a legend or an icon or anything of the sort and he been in the game 15 years!

Hes a journeyman when he had te potential to be a star. That's why he belongs in this thread.

Damn....it's been 14 years already????? Fab still makes mainstream rap hits... He has that ability to make a ? classic and came close with Real Talk... Could be the consistency in song making for a whole album thats a problem.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    My Top 10 Artists Who Had Million Dollar Deals but NEVER lived up to the hype:

10. Asher Roth -- this dude was seen as the great white hype, he had a nice buzz when he first dropped and lyrically he was smooth. I think Asher's problem tho was having no experience with the industry politics. His albums were horribly marketed and he never really pushed consistent singles.

9. Lil B -- he had a crazy cult following but then it got stupid. I thought it was his way of using the internet to put the medicine in the candy but he squandered that. Now he's just stupid and wack SMMFH. He could have leveraged that in a big way if he was smart.

8. Jae Millz -- this dude was killing mixtapes in the early 2000s and was thought to be Harlem's next best thing. I heard he turned down deals from Rocafella and Dipset SMMFH. He was a battle rapper I believe. Crazy cuz I think if Jae Millz came out NOW the way he did back then he could have really used the Battle Rap platform to catapult himself to stardom.

7. AZ -- ? can hate me but I think AZ's biggest mistake was letting Nas drop first. AZ was signed before Nas was. And personally I think his first album is a classic. Not only that but AZ is incredibly dope. Not sure why he never kept pushing. Always felt perhaps his personal life and the streets kept getting in the way.

6. Young Chris -- this ? maaad talented and at one point I remember ? reaching and sayin that Jay was copying his style. This dude should have been what Drake, Wale and J.Cole are now but back then. Not only that but he had the machine behind him in a major way. I feel that Young Chris had the best chance on the Roc outside of Freeway, Beans, Cam and Ye to blow and be a major artist in music.

5. Papoose -- getting signed to Jive and Kay Slay & Busta Rhymes for $1.5 million, an incredible mixtape catalog but just couldn't nail a radio single to get the album green lit. So Jive eventually dropped him and he became a tax write-off. Lyrically I thought Pap was dope and as much as the IC clowns him he was in 2005/2006 looked at as New York's potential savior. I think he dropped Narceirma Dream as a mixtape, needless to say it was quite satisfying.

4. Saigon -- Truly the Greatest Story Never Told.... even with Mark Whalberg cosigning him and putting him on Entourage he still couldn't get signed on the show as a rapper SMMFH LOLOL. How life imitates art, Saigon had a million dollar deal too but once again, his lack of being able to drop a radio single hindered his chances of getting his album green lit. Just Blaze produced that whole album and in the end, it never dropped. I think he dropped it as a mixtape too but I aint check it. Last I heard of Saigon he lost to Joe Budden in a battle over nothing.

3. Chamillionaire/Mike Jones -- Chamillionaire was on the right track but what ? him up is when he dropped that album with no cuss words. That was his biggest demise. He gets an A for effort but what I didn't understand was why do that when all albums already come with a censored version anyways ? SMMFH. And what's ? up is Chamillionaire has a platinum album, he jinx himself on his second album. Mike Jones was just an idiot who believed his own hype. As a result, he lost his respect, I dont even think Houston really ? w/ Mike Jones like that anymore.

2. Beanie Sigel -- this ? played himself too, going to jail too many times SMMFH. He had a lot of businesses that were successful but Beans not being able to leave the streets killed all those opportunities and his money for lawyer fees and eventually led to him getting cut off by Jay-Z at one point. Ironically the same guy along with Dame and Biggs who green lit his projects and because of their effort even allowed Beans to get the connections and platform he had. You cannot get a bigger opportunity than that. Beans had a successful clothing and shoe line, a successful record label, a cartoon, movie production company, a solid catalog and a radio station. A dayum shame.

1. Shyheim -- Some of yall might be too young to remember this cat but he was a Wu affiliate at like 14 and not only that got to share the stage with BDK, 2Pac and Biggie in Brooklyn for that infamous "Where Brooklyn At!?" Freestyle. He had it all, he was all over music videos, lyrically he was very gifted, all the girls loved him, all the young boys wanted to have it like him, he was learning from the Wu Tang Clan, he had RZA executive producing his albums which still did well on the charts, he had a cosign from Big & Pac and also had a nice career as an actor which back in the 90s was a big deal if you could get it. He was what Lil Wayne was before Lil Wayne. He had so much potential but once again like Beans got caught up in the streets and ended up losing all of that. Imagine what could have been.

Lastly, I don't see how Lauryn Hill didn't live up to her hype when she has 2 diamond albums (1 with The Fugees and her solo and unplugged albums). She has grammies too, iuno I'd say she more than shattered expectations. Juelz Santana I don't count either when he has gold/platinum records under his belt and was apart of one of the biggest movements out of NY hell in Hip-Hop. He was rapping for money not accolades LOLOLOLOLOL.

Wrong about saigon he dropped his debut album in 2012 but atlantic records is ? anyway so unfortunately it didn't work out for him and he didn't lose that battle against buddens after dropping that fire track pushing buddens
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for Blu, dude still dropping heat. as a matter of fact he got one of the best albums of the year

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

Yeah, I dont know why he does that ?
  • Avenged Sevenfold
    Avenged Sevenfold Members Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said this one. Shyne. Granted he was in prison but even the album he releases during prison was just meh. Since coming out he became VP of the Hate 50 fan club.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

Yeah, I dont know why he does that ?

C/S THIS...NO HEADPHONES CAN FIX THIS LO-FI ? HE'S ON
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Llyod Banks.

I dig his music, but son just doesn't seem to have that drive.

Props to to cat that said Ras Kass. Dead on.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Imo stack Bundles gets a bit of the 'rapper who died' push. Never thought he was nice, but r.i.p.

Respectfully, I hate when ? say this. He was nice imo cuz he of his talent when he was alive, not cuz he died. Plenty if others dudes right after him and I don't think of them as highly as I did if Stacks. Stacks ability to connect each line to the next, punchline metaphors, "truisms", and authentic but unique NY flow, his ability to write hits for others (aka We Fly High, Pin the Tail on the Donkey).

He was gonna be that antithesis of what Drake is but with the equal star power and perhaps talent.
    Nicki Minaj Meets/Freestyles For Stack Bundles: http://youtu.be/MNOcqne5gVw

I just hate it when people online just have that knee ? reaction to think someone is overrated just cuz he died.

Stack Bundles Ali Vegas Diss: http://youtu.be/_NcvZW2eMDY

But he was overrated. Like wtf does "he was gonna be the antithesis of what Drake is but with the equal star power" even mean? He would have fallen in the same realm of dudes like Fab.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bishop Lamont
    Jay Electronica
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember a time when Bizzy Bone could do no wrong on the mic. Seems like after Capo died, the Ripsta wasn't the same rapper anymore.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I dont like this thread anymore lol

Yall actin like all of this happeneed in a vacuum. It didnt, so for all these nggas to live up to their 'potential', it would have been impossible. Only so much to go around

Thread should only have dudes who werent on/minimally on, that couldnt been on bigger...not established stars that could have been REALLY established stars. There's only a few slots available for megastardom.

I.e. If Method Man was just a regular rapper and just spit he probably never stands out from the Wu. But b/c he had his lil charisma/comedy, he stood out, but w/ that comes a expiration date. He lived up to his potential, then the game cycled through him

A lot of this ? is like sayin 'Man if Shaq could only shoot 3's he would REALLY been good.' Thats not potential, thats just illogical
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Tical is a classic, ? your opinions

I'll bet everything I own that you don't remember when it came out. ? thought it was trash.

It was a good album. But it definitely wasn't a classic.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldnt put banks in this list...I mean the dudes an ny rapper who went plat in 03 n still is puttin out albums n mixtapes n respect.. an his albums besides rotten apple have been good
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Canibus n juelz own this
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »

blu-good-to-be-home.jpg

Last time i checked him i actually bought the "give me flowers b4 i die" (i think thats the name) album.

? kinda put me to sleep the 2 times i tried to listen to it

lol give me my flowers while I can still smell them, I actually liked that too but to each his own I guess. His best album is below the heavens imo, check that out, If you dont like that then he's not for you

not on Spotify

its on iTunes but is missing the first track, and there is not album pricing since its a "partial album" you would have to pay 99cents for each 14 tracks... $14 for a partial album