Street Fighter V dropping exclusively on PS4 & PC

Options

Comments

• Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't take the "exclusive forever" thing too seriously. I'm pretty sure it won't apply to the inevitable Super Street Fighter V, Ultra Street Fighter V, etc...

Depends. Seeing as though capcom isn't doing well financially, this could be seen as a 1st step towards acquisition, like someone mentioned.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol Acquisition by who? The company that's probably doing just as poorly as they are?
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol Acquisition by who? The company that's probably doing just as poorly as they are?

Activision or some other company.

SF5 might be exclusive but Super SF5 will probably be on the XB1.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Japanese companies gonna stick together
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    'PlayStation 4 will be the only console Street Fighter 5 ever appears on, it's built from the ground up for PS4' notable quotes from Sony presser
    None
    Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • December 6, 2014 at 8:26 p.m. PST Comments 174 submit to reddit

If you didn't catch the PlayStation Experience live stream today, you missed some notable quotes from both Sony and Capcom, which we wanted to recap here.

The most remarkable thing for many came from Adam Boyes, VP, Publisher & Developer Relations of Sony Computer Entertainment.

"PlayStation 4 will be the only console Street Fighter 5 ever appears on," said Boyes.

This was quite a shocker, as many people, ourselves included, had assumed this would be a timed exclusive, but as it turns out, this game will never see the light of day on another console — not even Sony's PlayStation 3.

PS4 console sales are currently pegged at 13.5 million units worldwide. Street Fighter 4 sold roughly 8 million copies across various platforms, but it's hard to envision the latest entry generating the same numbers being limited to just one console platform, even though Sony's next-generation hardware sales continue to impress.

It was stated that the next entry in the Street Fighter series is being specifically tailored to Sony's next generation hardware.

"Street Fighter 5 will be built from the ground up for PlayStation," added Boyes. "We partnered with Capcom on the development of Street Fighter 5, we're working together to make Street Fighter the ideal game for console."
    Yoshinori Ono, the executive producer of Street Fighter at Capcom, added a few statements as well.

"When we first began working on what's next for the vision of the Street Fighter franchise, we reached out to PlayStation," Ono said through a translator.

"It was clear to match the passion of Street Fighter fans around the world, we needed the combined strength of both Capcom and PlayStation," said Ono.

Yoshinori also noted that they will have many new details to share at the Capcom Cup next weekend.

Adam Boyes added that Sony's third party production team will be handling the Ultra Street Fighter 4 port to the PlayStation 4, as some had assumed Capcom would do it internally.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/06/playstation-4-will-be-only-console-street-fighter-5-ever-appears-its-built-ground-ps4-notable-quotes-sony-presser/
  • vagrant-718
    Options
    Im sure the loophole for Capcom would be to make a Super SFV to appear on xb1
  • Bcotton5
    Options

I don't think there will be a ssf5 they're going to do seasons like killer instinct most likely
  • vagrant-718
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

I don't think there will be a ssf5 they're going to do seasons like killer instinct most likely

I figure they'll learn from sf4 and make their code scalable for future revision
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? I hope not
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Sony gonna buy Capcom
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Yoshinori Ono will share another 'secret detail' about Street Fighter V at Capcom Cup next week, teases elements that fans have always wanted

07_famit.jpg

After the PlayStation Experience keynote address was over, Famitsu.com caught up with Capcom's Yoshinori Ono for a brief interview to talk about the series' future.

In this interview, Ono talks about how the gameplay footage of Ryu and Chun-Li fighting were originally not meant to be shown for today, what kind of special announcement he's got prepared for next week, and why fans of past Street Fighter games would find it appealing.

Find out more in our full translation of the interview below.

---Famitsu: Finally, Street Fighter 5 has been officially announced!

Yoshinori Ono: (With a slightly bitter smile) Well, first of all, my sincere apologies about Capcom accidentally leaking the news beforehand. What I heard happened was that the PR team was so excited for this announcement that they got careless with it. My apologies to our friends in the media.

---No, it's fine. We were more worried about what Ono-san you were going to do when you go up on stage [after the leak happened].

Ono: After the leak happened, we held an emergency meeting with SCEA (laughs). Today we showed off some footage of Ryu and Chun-Li fighting, right? To be honest, that was actually not originally meant to be shown today (at the PlayStation Experience event).

---Huh, was that the case?

Ono: Yes. We were planning to use that for the Capcom Cup next week in San Francisco. However, after the leak happened, we thought that we probably wouldn't be able to get away with not showing any gameplay footage [and not end up disappointing the fans]. So we made a decision, at the eleventh hour, to alter our plans.

---Right, that makes sense.

Ono: With that said, we're planning to share another secret detail about Street Fighter V next week, so fret not [as it won't be a repeat]. (Laughs)

---We're looking forward to that! Putting that aside, what are your thoughts now, after having gone on stage to make today's announcement?

Ono: It felt really good. The audience's response to the characters shown was great -- but then again even at a similar convention like Comic-Con, you'd get that sort of response.

More than that, since PlayStation Experience is an event where game fans are gathered, the part that actually received the biggest reaction from the crowd was when we announced PS4 and PC cross-platform play [so that was interesting].

To be able to show users our latest work, and receive the feedback from them directly like this, that makes us really happy. If it's at all possible, I'd wish for PlayStation Experience to be held every year. Events like this where the focus is on the users are extremely valuable [to the development process]. I'd even hope for this sort of event to be held in Japan too. (Laughs)

---Right. In particular, there was a point during the GameAwards2014 that was particularly impressive, huh? Now then, with regards to PS4 and PC cross-platform play, Capcom is approaching this as a new challenge to attempt, yes?

Ono: That's right. Up till this point, we've actually attempted a similar challenge with a different game title for a different platform, and when we did we realized that there were a number of obstacles we'd need to clear, beginning with cheat prevention.

And of course, we don't plan on forcing cross-platform play to the users. Players will be able to create platform-specific lobbies, so please rest assured about that. But on top of that, this time we're also taking on the challenge of linking up the communities together.

Lastly, could you tell us more about the concept or unique selling points for Street Fighter V?

Ono: Right. About that... earlier today we said that at next week's Capcom Cup, we'll be doing a live demonstration with a playable build. I think that once the users see the demonstration, even if they're a gamer who's played a lot of Street Fighter in the past but not so much recently, that they'd love to come back and start playing SFV.

Do you mean, for gamers who previously spent a lot of time with Street Fighter 2 in the arcades?

Ono: SF2, SF3, SF4... Or any installment in the series, for that matter. Gamers who've thoroughly explored the games in the past, and had been super hooked on it before, I hope they'll look forward to the game demonstration next week. I think they'll likely get very excited once they see it. They'd understand it and go "Ah, I've always wanted to be able to do that in the game."

---It definitely sounds like the new game is geared towards fans of any and all previous installments of the series. We're looking forward to seeing it!
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think it's that big a deal. .but that's a good look for Sony
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think it's that big a deal. .but that's a good look for Sony

Fighting game community wise, it's a huge deal. The xbox was actually the preferred console for sf4 iterations..... so for them to do a 180 in that regard was a suprise and actually left a ton of fans in the rain... (No chicity :D) but there's plenty of people devoted enough to switch consoles I think.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oh well. now every system has its own exclusive fighting game.

*dead*

So this mean there won't be a PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Melee? lol

I was looking forward to Knack and Octodad being in it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

*dead*

That's the best you could come up with huh? You took all that time dealing with your heartache and desperately searching for a way to mitigate this disaster and that's all you could come up with? I expected better.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Im getting the PC version
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

*dead*

I'm sure you were since he's the only 'dad' that will ever accept your lifestyle choice.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    I'm literally crying right now. I finally get into street fighter and they do this to me. They treated me like a one night stand

LOL Sf4 on ps3 360will never die
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Octodads a ? ?

Bizarre move by Capcom. It either goes deeper like Sony making an acquisition or like others have said it will only be a timed exclusive.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imma be sad af on release day
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    I remember when Rell Mayne used to WRECK ? in SF on here with Cammy, ? was posting vids on youtube n everything exposing IC posters who claimed to be dope SF players. I never played him but I'm not gonna front like I coulda beaten him back then. He was good.

Hopefully we get a huge community like that poppin again.

LMAO I bodied that ? , and YOU still ducking in SF4

this ? got the IC fooled talking about he "playing competitively"

SMMFH

I killed you in MVC and you went and cried to pimpmvp and killacham about how I "button mash" 27 hit combos on the regs (so if that's the case you a pro and got slaugthered by a button masher !?) ok cotton ok LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. You aint even nice at SF4 you have 1 ? combo and it's as easy to read as a "see spot run" book. I been saying - Smash 4, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, GGPO, MVC1,2,3, Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, Killer Instinct, KOF, just add me and lets war it out and you never joined up for any of those games. It's in the battle arena threads, only me, Geno, Lonious Monk, Co-Town Michael, Cham and a few others are regulars. You aint NEVER showed your face in there and YOU been on here longer than any of us. You a coward and sounds to me like you have a ? where your heart should be. Put down the Lil Wayne fireman calenders, be a man for once in your life and lets war it out. Take your pick out those games....

FOH you loser.

So you not gonna play me in sf4?

Cause that's all I got out of that
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    I'm literally crying right now. I finally get into street fighter and they do this to me. They treated me like a one night stand

Last Gen Arcade sticks don't work on the new consoles anyway, gonna have to buy another 200 dollar accessory smh
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how much pp you have @bcotton5?