New D'Angelo Album "Black Messiah" Dropping 12/16!!

Options

Comments

• MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Options
    It's already In stores. Try target

You a real ? for that b.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    about to listen
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    today is a blessed day.

just happy enough to finally have some new material by the guy.

music needed this.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'll buy this next week.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think i'll wait for a physical copy. I think that's the last physical copy I buy this year

And since the news of this album dropped, the song 'Africa' from Voodoo been playing in my head everyday. ..
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Funky den a ? .

d'angelo got dat Prince artistic expression…just say any ok thing on funky do beat

"Shahs shandy shahs harsh shahs shahada pageboy" - d'angelo

lol nah fam, homie's saying some cold ? ...

Ever hit with a choice that you can't decide?
    Which direction left or right
    Shut your mouth off and focus on what you feel inside
    (See y'all know I'ma go with my vibe)
    You won't believe all the things you have to sacrifice
    Just to get peace of mind
    And you take what they give as if it did suffice
    Still it's just a waste of time
    Aaah
    I offer you the truth
    You need the comfort of my lovin' to bring out the best in you
    I wanna give you somethin' to feed your mind
    Separatin', don't debate it
    Faithfully we'll see this love through

-Aint that easy

Check out the lyrics..

http://www.metrolyrics.com/news-story-dangelo-black-messiah-lyrics-revealed.html
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It is nothing like his first two albums. Will listen again before the night is over. It has me a little thrown off. I don't know if its just not as good as I expected or just so different.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked Black Messiah, but Voodoo, in my opinion, is his best album thus far.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    bout to hit target before work

They ain't have it -_-

Red flags went up when i realized they didn't separate albums by genre anymore tho. Just a hodgepodge of ? in there smh

Will try best buy tomorrow
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it's crazy that his last album was 14 years ago, been out the public eye then he just pop up out of no where & like "I know yall haven't seen me in about 14 years but I gotta new album out & it's pure fie" lol
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im kinda speechless man. For some reason i expected him to fall off or try some left field sound. This ? sounds like it dropped right after Voodoo

I know im on adrenalime but instant classic? ? i dont know i cant think straight.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dj yoda and questlove held it down for us for 14 years tho.

Truth be told, i have already heard 75% of these "new" songs before already.

He just better not disappear for another 15yrs. If he really recorded 30+ tracks i would love anither album in the spring time... wishful thinking
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    It is nothing like his first two albums. Will listen again before the night is over. It has me a little thrown off. I don't know if its just not as good as I expected or just so different.

It's been so long since I've heard any new music from D that I couldn't even form any preconceived notions about the album. Not to mention how it literally fell out of the sky and landed at our feet.

There are similarities to his previous releases, but I'm diggin the fact that it stands alone from the rest of his discography. It's refreshing to get artists that use their established sound to dovetail into new musical terrain.
  • S2J
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »

I disagree! Only off 1 listen, but the only diff to me is there are no true 'love' songs like voodoo, but it has the same in the studio, jam session feel as songs like Chicken Grease, play on, feel like makin, great day in the morning

Edit: oh goodness, on the last track, theres that love ? . Dead! Classic.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Haha , that's how I was when I first heard the last track. ? 's crazy. Ive been playing that and aint that easy all day.
  • S2J
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Questlove and Jus Blaze are the nggas in yo click that no matter what album u ask about, 'oh, i had that 3 weeks ago. You just got it?'. Music snobs i really dont like that ngga lol
    S2J wrote: »
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dangelo-new-album-black-messiah-20141212

Shortly after Bonnaroo, Questlove told Rolling Stone that D'Angelo had recorded nearly 30 tracks at Electric Lady, the same New York studio where the singer cut Voodoo. "He is about to take a radical 180 turn with this record," Questlove said at the time. "It's going to throw people off the same way that Prince's ? Mind threw his R&B fanbase off. In the past few years, he's discovered Bowie and Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Pet Sounds, Captain Beefheart and Zappa." At the time, Questlove said that the musician was experimenting with guitar arrangements and creating his own keyboard sounds.

In January 2013, Questlove told Billboard that D'Angelo's album was "99 percent done." "I would not be far off by saying this is probably my generation's version of Sly [and the Family Stone's] There's a Riot Goin' On," the drummer said. "It's potent. It's funky. It's an extremely hard pill to swallow.

"It's going to take you about 10 years to digest this record," he added. "Totally brilliant. Just the way this society works with music...being able to judge if something is a classic after the first listen, you can do that after 30 seconds on this. And the fact that we started this record in 2004, and it still sounds like it came out five years from now, it is a testament to the timelessness of it."

In a June interview, Liles said that the Bonnaroo show inspired D'Angelo to want to finish the album. "He very bluntly put it, 'Kev, the studio and the stage: that's my lifeblood. Now that I've touched it again, now that I see it again, I wanna be sure that the baby I'm about to have – the album – that I take it to the point where it's all it can be.'"

steve11711.gif

I know yall love the ngga but i dont really ? wit Questlove ol 'im the gatekeeper to your good music' ass. Feel like i've read similar ? from him about a couple artists

And thats like 5 'experimental' tags in that interview im gonna temper my expectations

I_m_sorry..._I_m_so_sorry_399006ae911162c87d0d42cdbd6a1f45.gif

• satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AOTY for me hands down...had this on repeat today...i cant even pick a fav song on this.and i love the opening to 1000 deaths
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another Life is musical bliss if there is a such thing
  • S2J
    Options
    Another Life is musical bliss if there is a such thing

C/s. It may be too early to categorize the album, but that song is an instant classic