Somebody Done Told You Wrong: Black Celebrities Who Say They’re Not African American

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    I never said that you should accept their behavior, only that it would be inconsistent not to accept them while claiming to be pro-black. They are black and nothing they do changes that. You can hate their behavior while still being pro them. If you're for black unity you can't selectively pick and choose which black people you identify with if they're all equally black. I understand why you dislike some black people, I don't always love everyone and separate them from their mistakes, but you consider yourself to be a pan-Africanist. You talk about the 'community' or the 'race' like it was something separate from all of the individuals who comprise it.

Like i just told you being pro-black does not mean you accept all black folks, A person is their behavior you cannot split a persons behavior from who they are. If you are pro black even when that black person is a ? you are in direct conflict with the goals of pan-africanism. Pan africanism is about solidarity with black folks pimps are by the nature of their jobs intrinsically anti-unity. It's about black empowerment

don't take the "PAN" in pan africanism so literally we are not uniting with our filth and making us all ?

pan africanism is not about loving all black people that is not what it's about at all.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man let them weirdos be what they wanna be
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The most pro black thing you can do is hate unrepentant pimps

It's not pro-black to hate any black person for any reason. If you're for black unity you have to include every single black person.
    Wrong. Slaves were captured and sold by blacks, that is a fact. But not even close to the number you think for them to be a MAJOR contributer to chattel slavery. Also in Africa, slaves were NOT personal property. White folks came up with that (chattel slavery: slaves being personal property). If you gonna do it dont half ass it bruh. I tend to agree with you on alot of ? , but facts are facts.

Africans didn't just make a major contribution to the Atlantic slave trade, it couldn't have thrived to the extent that it did without African involvement. Whites might have kidnapped some blacks on their own but I'm pretty sure the vast majority were sold by other Africans.

See what you did there, you guessed. I stated fact. Run along little boy. Africa is a continent, not a country. Africans sold africans yes. But they were not family members they were prisoners of war, etc. They were the conquered. Enemy selling enemy. Only in America was a child born into slavery. In africa a child of a slave was born free. now scoot boy
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's important to remember our african roots but blacks in the diaspora need to forge our own way in the world now. If you don't know exactly where in the continent you're from all the 'back to africa' talk is a waste of time. Culturally we are too different for a mass repatriation to be viable focus on making life better for you and yours wherever you at.
  • DrJohnHenrikClarke
    DrJohnHenrikClarke Members Posts: 120
    Options
    Ranxx wrote: »
    It's important to remember our african roots but blacks in the diaspora need to forge our own way in the world now. If you don't know exactly where in the continent you're from all the 'back to africa' talk is a waste of time. Culturally we are too different for a mass repatriation to be viable focus on making life better for you and yours wherever you at.

This ? is all rooted in European individualism.
  • Ranxx
    Options

? no, this ? is survival of the fittest and the idea of 'one black people' is a fallacy. Africans in Africa don't even believe in pan african-ism.
  • DrJohnHenrikClarke
    Options

? no, this ? is survival of the fittest and the idea of 'one black people' is a fallacy. Africans in Africa don't even believe in pan african-ism.

You believe Obama and Alicia Keys is black?
  • Ranxx
    Options
    ? that got to do with anything say your piece or stop quoting me bro
  • zombie
    Options

That is wrong my friend there are several pan African organizations on the continent.
  • zombie
    Options

Africa is where ever blacks predominantly rule. Anyplace we live on earth we Must thrive to better and attain as much control as possible
  • DrJohnHenrikClarke
    Options

You are a ? .
  • Ranxx
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

That is wrong my friend there are several pan African organizations on the continent.

They're not the majority though. You tell a Yoruba man that the Igbo man is his brother he's gonna look at you crazy, so how you think he feels about a 'black' man on the other side of the planet.
  • Ranxx
    edited February 2015
    Options

You are a ? .

Lol ok yute go play
  • zombie
    Options

They're not the majority though. You tell a Yoruba man that the Igbo man is his brother he's gonna look at you crazy, so how you think he feels about a 'black' man on the other side of the planet.

Personal feelings are like leaves in the wind. People unite and work together for greater interest. That ignore may feel however he wants but others feel differently. The African union already exists and Nigeria is part of it .
  • zombie
    Options
    That igbo may feel.....
  • zombie
    Options

You are a ? .

Lol ok yute go play

Just letting you know it's a female
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options

Africa is where ever blacks predominantly rule. Anyplace we live on earth we Must thrive to better and attain as much control as possible

Or be trampled, begging for a boot to lifted from the neck.
  • Ranxx
    Options

Personal feelings are like leaves in the wind. People unite and work together for greater interest. That ignore may feel however he wants but others feel differently. The African union already exists and Nigeria is part of it .

I don't disagree but The African Union still don't include me or you.

We both Jamaican and in my mind Jamaica is a nation of (mostly) African people, but that doesn't make us any less Jamaican and that has to come first. Just like the Igbo man is Igbo first, then Nigerian and then African. It's nice to think we're all brothers and sisters but that's not the reality of it.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We both Jamaican and in my mind Jamaica is a nation of (mostly) African people, but that doesn't make us any less Jamaican and that has to come first. Just like the Igbo man is Igbo first, then Nigerian and then African. It's nice to think we're all brothers and sisters but that's not the reality of it.

Side note: haiti is trying to join the african union
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Africans in Africa don't even believe in pan african-ism.

You've never heard of Kwame Nkrumah? There are countless Africans who have advocated pan-Africanism as well as several who don't. There are countless black Americans who advocate pan-Africanism as well as several who don't. There are countless West Indians who advocate pan-Africanism and several who don't. In fact, the OAU/African Union apparently considers the black diaspora to be the '6th region of Africa'. It can blow your mind away how people can say things that directly contradict things you've seen or observed with your own eyes or personally experienced over and over and over again. Offline, I've only come across a single African (my father, in the past and only some of the time) whose ever not identified with Western blacks and even with him it was nowhere near that absolute, he definitely never denied being black. I'd bet the majority of Africans take pride in black Americans/West Indians being of African descent and I could waste even more time citing examples. If I'm wrong, I don't think you have more evidence to the contrary and there are still a lot who do, even if they are in the minority.
    But they were not family members they were prisoners of war, etc. They were the conquered. Enemy selling enemy. Only in America was a child born into slavery. In africa a child of a slave was born free. now scoot boy

What difference would that make? It's OK to sell someone into slavery as long as they're not a family member? My understanding is that the slaves were generally prisoners of war, owed debts or were criminals. Maybe some of them were sold by family members. I admit I'm not a history buff but the African role in the Atlantic slave trade is well documented. There were some Africans who fought it, like Queen Nzingha, I think.
  • zombie
    Options

The union does have it's problems but we don't have to lovey dovey with each. Other local politics always trumps national and international but look at the condition Jamaica is in had we been members of a stronger political union we wouldn't be slaves of the imf.
  • Ranxx
    Options
    Africans in Africa don't even believe in pan african-ism.

You've never heard of Kwame Nkrumah? There are countless Africans who have advocated pan-Africanism as well as several who don't. There are countless black Americans who advocate pan-Africanism as well as several who don't. There are countless West Indians who advocate pan-Africanism and several who don't. In fact, the OAU/African Union apparently considers the black diaspora to be the '6th region of Africa'. It can blow your mind away how people can say things that directly contradict things you've seen or observed with your own eyes or personally experienced over and over and over again. Offline, I've only come across a single African (my father, in the past and only some of the time) whose ever not identified with Western blacks and even with him it was nowhere near that absolute, he definitely never denied being black. I'd bet the majority of Africans take pride in black Americans/West Indians being of African descent and I could waste even more time citing examples. If I'm wrong, I don't think you have more evidence to the contrary and there are still a lot who do, even if they are in the minority.

You're proving my point, Africans/Black people whatever you want to call us are not a monolith. There are so many conflicting experiences, ideologies and agendas out there that to try and speak on whats best for us as a whole doesn't make sense. In London I've been around immigrants from all over Africa for years and they don't talk about pan african-ism, they talk about the country they're from and why it's better than everywhere else. My experience doesn't invalidate yours though, we just don't all want the same things in life.
  • Ranxx
    Options

The union does have it's problems but we don't have to lovey dovey with each. Other local politics always trumps national and international but look at the condition Jamaica is in had we been members of a stronger political union we wouldn't be slaves of the imf.

True talk but their wasn't and still isn't a stronger political union we can turn to, we have to start from where we're at.
  • zombie
    Options

True talk but their wasn't and still isn't a stronger political union we can turn to, we have to start from where we're at.
    Yes because we have to create one and when I say we I mean black people not just Jamaicans. And the reality is we have no choice either unite with someone bigger or stay being pawns . But you are right start making wherever you live good. But we must exist and see ourselves as part of a whole or stay in poverty.
  • zombie
    Options
    At the end of the day the work of pan Africanism continues the work of Marcus goes on despite those who don't have the faith