Dr. Dre- Compton- Official Album Discussion Thread (8/7/15)

Options

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic?

Y'all ? trippin
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    When can I buy the CD? I don't have any CDS in my Car damnit.

21st according to @VIBE

2n8oe15.jpg
  • victory_kid
    victory_kid Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont know if it has been mentioned already.

But doesn't For The Love Money instrumental remind you of Chopper (Lupe Fiasco's Tetsuo and Youth) a bit? The snares and distorted bass-line are similar to me.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Dr. Dre's Compton Projected To Sell 250-275k & Debut At #2

Based on first day sales data, Hits Daily Double forecasts an opening week total of 325-340,000 for Luke Bryan’s “? the Lights.” The Apple-exclusive “Compton,” which is the soundtrack to “Straight Outta Compton” and being positioned as the first Dr. Dre studio album since 1999, is expected to move 260-275,000.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=297085
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Classic?

Y'all ? trippin

I haven't said it yet but

? yea! InstaClassic
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Luke Bryan killin the game
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Meek talking about ghost writing exposed an ugly part of the game

he really didn't expose ? new,he just exposed a dude who ppl thought was a genius cranking out dope verse after verse,depending on your taste.

Slaughterhouse,Monch,Skillz,Smitty, etc get a lot of work writing for other ppl,that I assume are known.
    On the first listen I didn't really know what to make of it, think I was in shock I was listening to a dr dre album, but on the second listen ? me that ? good I just had an ear orgasm with the production, and this was with a basic cheap pair of headphones.

Pause unless you're a chick.It's good,but not that good and it's great .
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 2nd half of the album 8-16 is really good
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    rapmusic wrote: »
    So we supposed to be mad if Cube and Snoop didn't write their verses? It's 2015, we don't care. If this was like 1993 we would be mad.

So you wouldnt care if Nas and Jay didnt write their rhymes?
    Yeah I would care if it was at the peak of their careers.Look, nobody is saying that ghostwriting don't happen, it's pretty ? obvious that it's happening when ? be totally switching their styles up from album to album. You can't be considered THE BEST RAPPER if you got unknown ass ? writing your ? . If you tell me that Snoop didn't write ? , or that Cube didn't write Death Certificate, or that Jay didn't write Blueprint, or that Nas didn't write Illmatic then I'll get ? off. I don't care about one verse on an album that's not even theirs in 2015. I know ? still mad about Drake being "exposed" but c'mon bruh. Drake will be ok, he just knows that he better be more upfront with that ? .
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Wait... Did this ? Game just become Kendrick on Just Another Day? I swear I thought that was someone else. Smmfh
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Based on first day sales data, Hits Daily Double forecasts an opening week total of 325-340,000 for Luke Bryan’s “? the Lights.” The Apple-exclusive “Compton,” which is the soundtrack to “Straight Outta Compton” and being positioned as the first Dr. Dre studio album since 1999, is expected to move 260-275,000.

I know Dre dont care about sales but that ? wouldve at least went Gold the 1st week had he put this out the normal way. No promotion, only available on itunes. Hell I bet theres TONS of people that have no idea about this ? .

Do u love dre?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »

I know Dre dont care about sales but that ? wouldve at least went Gold the 1st week had he put this out the normal way. No promotion, only available on itunes. Hell I bet theres TONS of people that have no idea about this ? .

Do u love dre?

I love his music, yes.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »

Do u love dre?

I love his music, yes.

? always tryna ? sumn up >_>
  • supergangster
    Options

Yes Dr. Dre is number one on the iTunes charts before the second album that is supposed to take the number one spot on billboards. He would be gold first week but this was about the agreement with Apple.

• supergangster
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Reading a nice interview with Dj Premier about how the Dr Dre track came thru

How were you approached to be a part of Compton?
    I’m working on a project in Russia with Boiler Room TV, with a producer named BMB Spacekid from Moscow, who’s like the top hip-hop producer in Russia. Boiler Room wanted to see if I could collab with another producer, which I don’t do, but I thought it would be unique for a Russian producer and I to get together, so I said I was interested in doing it. After saying, “Let’s do it,” [they] said [they] were going to get MF Doom to be the voice for the project once we could put our beats together, using Russian samples and stuff like that.

The first beat that we worked on was the one that Dre took. It wasn’t intended for Dre at the time. When I was about to head out there, MF Doom was sick and couldn’t make it. He couldn’t fly due to a minor surgery he had. So when I asked, “Who are you going to get?” [Boiler Room TV] got a guy named Anderson Paak. I’d never heard of him. They sent me a video called “Suede” and I saw they had Stones Throw artist Knxwledge doing the beat. I’m a Stones Throw fan, a Peanut Butter Wolf fan, so the connection let me know he was official. I loved the video, loved the vibe in the basement, and he looked so confident in the video. I hit them back and said, even though I’d never heard of him, I’m totally down to put my name with his. He just so happened to be doing a meeting with Dre for some of his music, which was totally irrelevant to mine, so he already had his connection with Dre.

We worked on two beats in Moscow. We did one song called “Til It’s Done,” which is more of a bounce/trap sort of the beat. The other one was a more boom-bap style that I do. BMB said I could do whatever I want when something comes around to it. When the Freddie Gray murder and the riots happened in Baltimore, Anderson called me and said, “Yo man, that other beat that we didn’t use, I just wrote some ? down about the ? that’s going on in Baltimore. It’s called ‘F.S.U.,’ which stands for ‘? ? Up.’” He sent it, I thought, “Wow, this is ill.”

Right around that time, he had a session with Dre and when Dre heard it, he said, “This is totally up my alley for the Compton soundtrack.” The ’92 riots happened with Rodney King and stuff, it coincided with what we wanted to do with the Compton album. He reached out and said, “I want to put a rap on it, a Dre verse,” and I said, “Hell yeah!” How am I gonna say no to that? “You should come out, and let’s work on it together because it’s your beat, and we can add on to it and mix it down together, sprinkle it with some stuff to make it a full song. Do you mind if I change the title to ‘Animals’ instead of ‘? ? Up’?” and I said, “Yeah, that’s cool.’”

Being you got to work so closely with Dre, do you find your approaches to producing have more similarities or differences?
    Honestly, the similarities were almost identical on every level. I’ve been in sessions with him back when they were working on ? . They had a concert they were going to do at Prince’s club Glam Slam and they had a new version of “? Ain’t ? .” They were going have Lady of Rage do a rebuttal called “? Ain’t ? ” on stage. I was there when they were working on that, watching the D.O.C. freestyle with his vocal chords gone but still saying dope punchlines. Daz was in there, Kurupt’s in there.

When I walked in the room, Dre was working on a song called “All in a Day's Work.” It was dope to see that process. There’s a lot to do and for him to be comfortable with me being in the room to watch him do it was super dope.

Also add on the Nas collabo album

There were once reports that you had been recording an entire album with Nas called NASdaq: Dow Jones.
    Wow, that’s a new one. When the Nas beef with Jay had just happened, Nas was talking, “I want to do an album with you.” He said that after we were doing the cover of Scratch magazine that said “It’s On.” That wasn’t even the case at that time. We had discussed it. Then when he had the Def Jam deal he said, “I want to still do this,” but we never spoke titles or anything. One time he said, “Yo, whenever we do it, let’s call it Finally,” which is a dope title because a lot of people want it, as well as me. When people ask when is it happening, I say it’s always up to the artist. If Nas says we’ll start 10 years from now, I’m down. I’m not in no rush because I’m always busy doing something. But, we never had a title. That one, NASdaq: Dow Jones, I’ve never heard that one. You’re getting more information than I’m getting.

You just cleared up a decade of speculation and urban legends right now.
    Nice. [Laughs.] When I recently asked Nas, “Any update?” he said, “I’m still on Def Jam for another album, and I really would rather do it independently if we’re gonna do it so I can do it how I want to and put it out how I want.” I know he has another Def Jam album he’s obligated for under his contract, so I’m sure when that drops, it’ll be a reality finally.

http://www.complex.com/music/2015/08/dj-premier-dr-dre-compton-interview?utm_campaign=musictw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
  • supergangster
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I still laughin about that Dre left 50 outside. I know that the album is called Compton but he did had Eminem as a guest so he could had put 50 on that track..

When I made fifty mill, Em got paid
    When I made sixty mill, Dre got paid
    When I made eighty mill, Jimmy got paid
    I ain't even gotta rap now, life is made
    Said I ain't even gotta rap, I'm filthy, mane

Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince_zpsbafb296e.gif

• Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    how the ? is this not a classic? Only on the IC...

go listen to Drake or Lil Durk or some ? ? like that, this hip hop ? aint for yall...
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Far from a classic. Sounds like everything else on the radio. Dre's name is the only thing making people care so much I'd wager. And a Compton "soundtrack" with such few Compton artist is bordering disrespectful.

But I love the album. After all these years it finally puts to rest and proves that Chad Butler was the better producer.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This exclusivity hurts record sales. Dre. should had went gold for first week sales.

If I'm an artist, I'm trying to push the product everywhere.
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Far from a classic. Sounds like everything else on the radio. Dre's name is the only thing making people care so much I'd wager. And a Compton "soundtrack" with such few Compton artist is bordering disrespectful.

But I love the album. After all these years it finally puts to rest and proves that Chad Butler was the better producer.

it sounds like everthing else on the radio? really? ? C is a better producer than Dre? is this life? I love the ? outta ? , UGK is my favorite duo of all time and he is one of my biggest influences in beatmaking/producing but that is just asinine.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This exclusivity hurts record sales. Dre. should had went gold for first week sales.

If I'm an artist, I'm trying to push the product everywhere.

When he signed that deal, he probably had no intent on dropping an album and agreed that if he did, it would be am Apple Exclusive

This discussion has been closed.