Dr. Dre- Compton- Official Album Discussion Thread (8/7/15)

Options

Comments

• LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MontyM.Max wrote: »
    This Kendrick 2nd or third best album. I'll decide after a few more spins.

The ? only on/wrote for 3 songs. Unless you wanna count Game's track
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil wayne that dude how many classics does wayne have? Birdman jr got atleast 5+ classic albums like nas.

Lil Wayne and Nas>>>>>Jay and Eminem
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That "animals" track though....damn preme and dre...im tryinta figure what it woulda sounded like w nas and kendrick as features at the end. Album is dope, only heard it twice but it seems like it will b liked more after a few more listens
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Far from a classic. Sounds like everything else on the radio. Dre's name is the only thing making people care so much I'd wager. And a Compton "soundtrack" with such few Compton artist is bordering disrespectful.

But I love the album. After all these years it finally puts to rest and proves that Chad Butler was the better producer.

it sounds like everthing else on the radio? really? ? C is a better producer than Dre? is this life? I love the ? outta ? , UGK is my favorite duo of all time and he is one of my biggest influences in beatmaking/producing but that is just asinine.

I listened to his brothers new EP right after this. Warrens album clearly has a more west coast feel to it and it sounds like something Warren G would make. Though, it is weak. I don't feel that with this Dre album. Sounds like he tried to give his own version of what sound is popular today. Nothing stands out as a rap song except that John Connor track.

There's clearly a difference between this album and the alleged Dre tracks we've come across over the years. Which were all better than what we got here. I don't know what it going on with this new experimental stuff on this and that TPAB. A lot of it reminds me of electronica.

And yeah, ? is better. I can only guess that I'm biased and prefer a more traditional sound to music. He did that. But this latest direction rap music is taking with albums lately is out of my lane.

I can cosign the bolded areas of his comment.

1st off i ? with the album and it will most likely be album of the year. Im giving it the edge on to TPAB.

But there is a lot of electronic type ? in here. The opening track sounds like half filtered thru autotune or something. And the beats although they are great dont sound like Dres past albums which screamed west coast at you.

But i guess thats an artist evolving. He put out a great project and everyone had unresonable expectations. I would have prefered a sound closer to KUSH but that itself was how many years ago...

Album still bangs.

1st listen i was more in shock trying to absorb the new sound. I mean even Dre sounds different, bbut i guess that happens when you only hear someone rap every 10 years. The album grew on me more after 2nd, 3rd, & 4th listens

As of now tho... 2001 > Chronic > Compton
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Coulda done without all the singing tho imi
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just like Tetsuo and youth
    To ? a butterfly

This album will be a little to too difficult to hear and feel for our junk, generic, one dimensional fast food Generation.

Animal imo is on the level of Still Dre. There is no leftovers and fillers in this album. There is so much lyrics to listen, so much music to feel that ist hard to give a Review after two listenings sessions.

After that album it will be sure that Future will Wait to have my dollars and attention.

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still bumping. I find myself appreciating this album a bit more and more as the days past by and I listen to it more.

? I never notice Marsha ambrosia vocals on Satisfiction got my hair standing on end
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    after a few listens ? dope as ? . ? always complanin an artist doesnt do the same style anymore. an album is supposed to be a representation of what theyre experiencing in life at that time. The fact dre can do that and still sound fresh and innovative is dope. not feelin cannons or issues at all though. deep water is crazy THATS simiar to still dre to me. that street banger. talk about it too.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agrv2385 wrote: »
    after a few listens ? dope as ? . ? always complanin an artist doesnt do the same style anymore. an album is supposed to be a representation of what theyre experiencing in life at that time. The fact dre can do that and still sound fresh and innovative is dope. not feelin cannons or issues at all though. deep water is crazy THATS simiar to still dre to me. that street banger. talk about it too.

Fast food consummers can eat the same Cheeseburger for their all life. And they do the same with music.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Thought for sure Lupe would have AOTY till this came out. Tough break but still can't give an official rating till the cdq whip test.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    murdap wrote: »
    Lil wayne that dude how many classics does wayne have? Birdman jr got atleast 5+ classic albums like nas.

CS bolded but lol @ both having 5 plus classics
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Listening to "Loose Cannons"...lol. It's obvious Dre been hanging Em too long. But the beat switch up>>>>
  • blatalian
    blatalian Members Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can't front...I didn't have any expectations for this album. I love The Chronic but never ? wit' 2001 and I was never caught up in tha "when's Detox dropping" convoy cuz I honestly didn't care. I dl'd Compton just to see if it was gonna be any good and I have to say this album is dope as hell. I think sonically/musically this is what Kendrick was going after on TPAB and I know why some people can't get wit' it because its a little too far left for some people....not me tho. I believe T&Y, TPAB and B.4.DA.$$ are tha 3 best albums to come out this year and now I think these albums need to make room for Compton. Props to Dre for putting out one of tha best put together albums in recent history...Peace
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »

Dre rapping like the ? on at least half the tracks tho. Add in Game's impersonation and I feel like this album got Kendrick DNA running through it. That ain't necessarily a bad thing tho.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options

Dre rapping like the ? on at least half the tracks tho. Add in Game's impersonation and I feel like this album got Kendrick DNA running through it. That ain't necessarily a bad thing tho.

Game impersonating Kendrick is a terrible thing IMO. I loved the track until I figured out that was him sounding all nasally and ? . Don't get me wrong I still love the track, I'm just disappointed in him becoming someone else again
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    murdap wrote: »

CS bolded but lol @ both having 5 plus classics

Lil Wayne classics

Carter 2
    Carter 3
    Dedication 2
    Like father Like son
    500 degreez
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    ? said C3 was a classic. Im done
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This worth my time? I haven't felt like listening to it yet.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We gotta thank Ice Cube for the album. Without Ice Cube we would not had heard any new music from Dr Dre.
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Far from a classic. Sounds like everything else on the radio. Dre's name is the only thing making people care so much I'd wager. And a Compton "soundtrack" with such few Compton artist is bordering disrespectful.

But I love the album. After all these years it finally puts to rest and proves that Chad Butler was the better producer.

it sounds like everthing else on the radio? really? ? C is a better producer than Dre? is this life? I love the ? outta ? , UGK is my favorite duo of all time and he is one of my biggest influences in beatmaking/producing but that is just asinine.

I listened to his brothers new EP right after this. Warrens album clearly has a more west coast feel to it and it sounds like something Warren G would make. Though, it is weak. I don't feel that with this Dre album. Sounds like he tried to give his own version of what sound is popular today. Nothing stands out as a rap song except that John Connor track.

There's clearly a difference between this album and the alleged Dre tracks we've come across over the years. Which were all better than what we got here. I don't know what it going on with this new experimental stuff on this and that TPAB. A lot of it reminds me of electronica.

And yeah, ? is better. I can only guess that I'm biased and prefer a more traditional sound to music. He did that. But this latest direction rap music is taking with albums lately is out of my lane.

Ive heard nothing but good things about Warren's album but just because thats good doesnt mean that this album isnt. The idea that this doesnt have a traditional west coast sound is kinda silly to me. Its a newer west coast sound but it still has its traditional roots.

Im not a fan of new ? either but this album right here is as close to the old ? as u gonna get bruh.

sorry but I dont think even ? would agree with you on that. Dre is the cream of the crop. Dre is partially what ? was inspiring to be whether he would admit it or not. he is THE pioneer to this ? .
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    I ain't stop listening to this ? since it dropped.... This is gonna go down as a classic and the easy pick for AOTY unless somebody drops something crazy in the next 4 months

basically this ^^^
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Game impersonating Kendrick is a terrible thing IMO. I loved the track until I figured out that was him sounding all nasally and ? . Don't get me wrong I still love the track, I'm just disappointed in him becoming someone else again

only reason I quoted you is because of the ? ? in your sig. jesus christ bro...
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we have to ban rappers for spitting deragatory mysoginistic and detrimental to black people ? my rap catalogue would be quite empty.

Thats not a refection.of hip hop

Its a reflection.of your own personal narrow range

Yo bad
This discussion has been closed.