Dr. Dre- Compton- Official Album Discussion Thread (8/7/15)

Options

Comments

• LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was mad disappointed to see that Dre didn't do much of the producing on this album.
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn good album. Production was on point. It wasn't as lyrical as I wanted it to be aside from Kendrick and Em spazzing.

Jon Connor showed off on this album. ANDERSON paak was dope. The Game showed he was hungry as ? .

All in all a fitting end to the trilogy

8/10
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Dre might be a better engineer than producer. He drums hit so hard and you can hear everything.

I haven't commented on the mixing on this album because I dunno how much people here care or notice but if you have flat frequency response speakers/headphones, this album is too bright. Sounds like snakes hissing with the vocals. Other engineers have spoken on it on other forums. This album will not be referenced like 2001 was for mixing.

Man, I thought the same thing a couple times but my faith in dre had me in denial.

I felt like if Dr Dre's mix could be lopsided then what the ? is left to believe in in this world.
  • I_fap_twohanded
    I_fap_twohanded Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I cant believe I bought this, its ? awful. If dre said detox was too bad to release and released this, detox must have been the worst ? ever
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick be on some other ? in the booth. ? was possessed when he recorded Deep Water.
  • TheRealness91
    TheRealness91 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    jee504 wrote: »
    For The Love Of Money ? damn. Can't wait to bang this in the whip

Yeah that song is hard man. I wonder if they paid bone for the sample though?

That song 'For The love Of Money' was remade by Bone before Dre just remade it. The song was originally performed by another Ruthless Record group called Yomo and Maulkie........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SC5uZqUEE

lol I literally found out about this earlier. Yella made that beat btw.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Dre might be a better engineer than producer. He drums hit so hard and you can hear everything.

I haven't commented on the mixing on this album because I dunno how much people here care or notice but if you have flat frequency response speakers/headphones, this album is too bright. Sounds like snakes hissing with the vocals. Other engineers have spoken on it on other forums. This album will not be referenced like 2001 was for mixing.

U wont get the full feel for the album if you arent listening to the ? in woofers anyway. Been listening since it dropped with headphones until today and copped the cd. There is a difference, maybe not as different as 2001 but you can definitely get a different feel for it with bass lines and drums nsuch.
  • Ranxx
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

U wont get the full feel for the album if you arent listening to the ? in woofers anyway. Been listening since it dropped with headphones until today and copped the cd. There is a difference, maybe not as different as 2001 but you can definitely get a different feel for it with bass lines and drums nsuch.

I don't hear it so much in my headphones, I feel like this was mixed for the beats generation.

Its like when its on the woofers the extra separation make the highs just that lil bit too bright.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hear it on my Sennheiser HD600 & in my car very easily. Every stereo I've had since 95 has had a dedicated subwoofer. Bass has little to do with it. It's like he didn't use a de-esser on the vocals. Most of the mix is good until you get above 6kHz. Dre just didn't do so great this time around. I can easily say Ali did a better job with Kendrick's album than Dre with Compton.
  • Stew
    Options

I hear it on my Sennheiser HD600 & in my car very easily. Every stereo I've had since 95 has had a dedicated subwoofer. Bass has little to do with it. It's like he didn't use a de-esser on the vocals. Most of the mix is good until you get above 6kHz. Dre just didn't do so great this time around. I can easily say Ali did a better job with Kendrick's album than Dre with Compton.
    Ranxx wrote: »

I don't hear it so much in my headphones, I feel like this was mixed for the beats generation.

Its like when its on the woofers the extra separation make the highs just that lil bit too bright.

Think Ive only heard those things for a couple min one time at the store but Im assuming they're bass heavy so maybe thats why. I cant really tell in my truck with the cdq.
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That song 'For The love Of Money' was remade by Bone before Dre just remade it. The song was originally performed by another Ruthless Record group called Yomo and Maulkie........

lol I literally found out about this earlier. Yella made that beat btw.

Where can I find this album at? If anybody got a link drop it, thanks
  • Ranxx
    Options
    'Im Kanye raising the diamond the day of his chaining'

Love that bar
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Something like " cuz you'll take the sole(soul) out just so u can fit in" Dope
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Kendrick be on some other ? in the booth. ? was possessed when he recorded Deep Water.

Lol That drowning part was so realistic u can tell it took several takes to get it right for Dre perfectionist ass
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »

You got a link to the album or This track here @chiyosuke
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best song is Genocide.....maybe I'm crazy but this album wasn't that hot save for a few songs
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a good ass album. Genocide is tough.

Talking to my diary my favorite beat on the album. Animals is the best song to me.
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

man thats why I be like ? mixing vocals and just stick to the beats. I suck at that ? so I aint gonna hate on Dre for not doing his best on it but that is a bit of a let down. Ive only been listening to it in the car and with my monitors and sub on the computer so I aint hearing all of the nuances but it sounded ok to me guess I need to throw the headphones on and listen closer.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Lol That drowning part was so realistic u can tell it took several takes to get it right for Dre perfectionist ass

That was Anderson .Paak
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Went to FYE to see how many copies for sold. They only had one left. Not sure about Best Buy though.

I went to Best Buy Friday morning and they hadn't even received any copies yet and I just said ? it and ordered online. I finally got my copy in the mail today and I'm not even half way through listening to the album and I got to say the production is on point so far.
  • Stew
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Best song is Genocide.....maybe I'm crazy but this album wasn't that hot save for a few songs

Yea maybe you're, I fully disagree with both of these statements big time.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like the song named genocide for obvious reasons
This discussion has been closed.