Atheists/Agnostics

Options

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    The first Atheists were the greek philosophers that are known in history.

? the there of the greatest first Greek philosophers believed I'm higher beings.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, yes and no. From a philosophical standpoint yes but humans have roamed the earth for 200-150k years. The humans that existed before the idea of ? were also atheist by definition
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, yes and no. From a philosophical standpoint yes but humans have roamed the earth for 200-150k years. The humans that existed before the idea of ? were also atheist by definition

that is dumb as ? and unsubstantiated
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    What it always comes down to with atheist is that they want ? the sovereign master of reality to do what they want him to do.

But it doesn't work like that people want pain to go away but ? doesn't necessarily want the pain and suffering to go away how and when we want it to.

Wrong. What most atheists understand is that pain and suffering exist as a result of avoidable and unavoidable circumstances. Once you introduce a sovereign master of reality, everything become subject into that being's every whim.

In a world where you have supreme authority over all things, to subject someone to pain for the mere purpose of thanking you for taking the pain away is not empathetic or compassionate. It is morbid and horrifyingly apathy.

And if there's anyone who basis there religious beliefs on what a ? would I would not do, it's the people who believe in a deity. Those are the people who appropriate the concepts of omnipresence, omnipotence, and eternal rewards and consequences to their advantage to get everyone else to live the way that they want them to live.

An atheist says, "? this, I'll live my life based on what I know to be real and what I know to be right. Not what desert dwellers from a couple thousand years ago, or corrupt and perverted Church goers made up."

that's not what the bible teaches it's what you atheist imagine it teaches the atheist war on religion ( which is really a war of the ? of abraham) is run on the of gross ignorance of the actually doctrines of the christian religion.

you atheist are free to live your life as you choose believe whatever you want but when you mischaracterize the tenets and beliefs of a persons religion you need to under stand that the result will often be some kind of conflict.

There is no "War on Religion" not sure what this persecution complex is all about. Non-religious are just getting tired of the proselytization, garbage science like creationism gaining traction and theocratic encroachment on our secular rights.

I don't see any mischaracterization anywhere.

There is definitely a war on religion especially Christianity. And all you have to do is watch south park or attend any liberal college on the east coast watch this war in effect.

Your entire post was slanderous against the ? the bible presents. ? doesn't allow pain to exist for the mere purpose of thanking him

Bruh, you can't be serious right now. You consider a little ridicule from a show like "South Park" to be a war on Christians? They made fun of atheists too. Intellectuals criticizing your faith s is not at all a "war" You can't at all be this hypersensitive and is it not said in the bible that followers of your faith should expect ridicule from non-believers? Why discourage open criticism? It's the pillar of free speech and democracy.

The ? of the bible is sadistic. Plain and simple.

one little ridicule ???? lolol you have to be either joking or oblivious to the disrespect and disregard the media and current establishment show to christians. I just used south park as an example because it's one of the most blatant ones.

It's not just that these so called intellectuals in schools criticizes faith it's that they out right teach against it and disrespect christian students. This is not true for all schools or professors but it is true for a lot.

when you call my ? sadistic what kind of positive conversation do you really expect to get????? ? is far from sadistic if anything he's masochistic because he loves creatures that continually keep doing things that hurt him.

Negative views on Christianity isn't by any means salient. There's no major media outlet that constantly bashes Christians all day. . The War on Christians is imaginary, in this country at least. The relative amount of respect that Christianity gets compared to it's criticism is overwhelming. We have a secular Constitution yet you can't become President without affirming you love Jesus.

I can only name a handful of writers that actively bash Christians. With the most prominent one, Christopher Hitchens passing away a few years ago. So who are these people that actively wage open war on Christianity?

When I call ? sadistic, I'm hoping to show how the Bible is not compatible with an all loving ? and is a man made text. It's obvious it's man made when you read passages like Exodus etc
  • The_Jackal
    edited December 2015
    Options

Very first civilization we know of believed in ? or atleast the idea of a higher being. look at Mesopotamia and Norte Chico
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What it always comes down to with atheist is that they want ? the sovereign master of reality to do what they want him to do.

But it doesn't work like that people want pain to go away but ? doesn't necessarily want the pain and suffering to go away how and when we want it to.

Wrong. What most atheists understand is that pain and suffering exist as a result of avoidable and unavoidable circumstances. Once you introduce a sovereign master of reality, everything become subject into that being's every whim.

In a world where you have supreme authority over all things, to subject someone to pain for the mere purpose of thanking you for taking the pain away is not empathetic or compassionate. It is morbid and horrifyingly apathy.

And if there's anyone who basis there religious beliefs on what a ? would I would not do, it's the people who believe in a deity. Those are the people who appropriate the concepts of omnipresence, omnipotence, and eternal rewards and consequences to their advantage to get everyone else to live the way that they want them to live.

An atheist says, "? this, I'll live my life based on what I know to be real and what I know to be right. Not what desert dwellers from a couple thousand years ago, or corrupt and perverted Church goers made up."

that's not what the bible teaches it's what you atheist imagine it teaches the atheist war on religion ( which is really a war of the ? of abraham) is run on the of gross ignorance of the actually doctrines of the christian religion.

you atheist are free to live your life as you choose believe whatever you want but when you mischaracterize the tenets and beliefs of a persons religion you need to under stand that the result will often be some kind of conflict.

There is no "War on Religion" not sure what this persecution complex is all about. Non-religious are just getting tired of the proselytization, garbage science like creationism gaining traction and theocratic encroachment on our secular rights.

There is definitely a war on religion especially Christianity. And all you have to do is watch south park or attend any liberal college on the east coast watch this war in effect.

Your entire post was slanderous against the ? the bible presents. ? doesn't allow pain to exist for the mere purpose of thanking him

Bruh, you can't be serious right now. You consider a little ridicule from a show like "South Park" to be a war on Christians? They made fun of atheists too. Intellectuals criticizing your faith s is not at all a "war" You can't at all be this hypersensitive and is it not said in the bible that followers of your faith should expect ridicule from non-believers? Why discourage open criticism? It's the pillar of free speech and democracy.

one little ridicule ???? lolol you have to be either joking or oblivious to the disrespect and disregard the media and current establishment show to christians. I just used south park as an example because it's one of the most blatant ones.

It's not just that these so called intellectuals in schools criticizes faith it's that they out right teach against it and disrespect christian students. This is not true for all schools or professors but it is true for a lot.

when you call my ? sadistic what kind of positive conversation do you really expect to get????? ? is far from sadistic if anything he's masochistic because he loves creatures that continually keep doing things that hurt him.

Negative views on Christianity isn't by any means salient. There's no major media outlet that constantly bashes Christians all day. . The War on Christians is imaginary, in this country at least. The relative amount of respect that Christianity gets compared to it's criticism is overwhelming. We have a secular Constitution yet you can't become President without affirming you love Jesus.

I can only name a handful of writers that actively bash Christians. With the most prominent one, Christopher Hitchens passing away a few years ago. So who are these people that actively wage open war on Christianity?

When I call ? sadistic, I'm hoping to show how the Bible is not compatible with an all loving ? and is a man made text. It's obvious it's man made when you read passages like Exodus etc

if you mean that there is not a tv channel or radio channel that ? on christianity all day you would be correct however the anti-religious and and anti-christian messages is strong as ? and it is coming from the mainstream media. christ and christians are mocked all the time in movies and tv it's all over the place. there is no one particular entity that is bashing christianity rather there are legions of focused atheist and groups that are dedicated to removing religion from american life.

the bible is the inspired word of ? , it is an ethno-genesis, law book and book of poetry men wrote it but ? authored it
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options

that is dumb as ?

Spoken like a true Christian.

I digress, @The_Jackal mentioned Mesopotamia religions. This dates back to 4th century BC. Hinduism and Ancient Egyptian belief is around the same age. Regardless, our species has been around for 200k-150k years. Much older than religion has existed. Maybe my first point wasn't clear enough. At is most general definition, atheism simply refers to those who lack a belief in ? . The humans who existed before the time mentioned, and before the widespread concept of ? , by definition were atheists. Not that it matters. Religion has dominated the last few millenniums.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options

if you mean that there is not a tv channel or radio channel that ? on christianity all day you would be correct however the anti-religious and and anti-christian messages is strong as ? and it is coming from the mainstream media. christ and christians are mocked all the time in movies and tv it's all over the place. there is no one particular entity that is bashing christianity rather there are legions of focused atheist and groups that are dedicated to removing religion from american life.

the bible is the inspired word of ? , it is an ethno-genesis, law book and book of poetry men wrote it but ? authored it

So quick question, with tv networks, shows, radio channels and journalists dedicated to a purely positive view of Christianity, how can you possibly think the opposing view is significant? It's not even close to being proportional. Most news networks etc are run by Christians. I just don't understand this sense of persecution. Your religion is not above criticism and with free inquiry, you shouldn't be so intolerant of it. Even though the criticism is extremely minimal, comparatively.

Highly unlikely, the book was written and authored by men. Not just men in the sense of humans but males. Look at the repression of women by religion. It's impossible for you to prove there was any divine authorship in the bible, as is the case with all religions. Your Christianity is purely circumstantial. You're not a Christian because it's self evident, you believe in it because of indoctrination. You would have been Muslim if you were born in Saudi Arabia. What type of belief is that?

• zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options

that is dumb as ?

I digress, @The_Jackal mentioned Mesopotamia religions. This dates back to 4th century BC. Hinduism and Ancient Egyptian belief is around the same age. Regardless, our species has been around for 200k-150k years. Much older than religion has existed. Maybe my first point wasn't clear enough. At is most general definition, atheism simply refers to those who lack a belief in ? . The humans who existed before the time mentioned, and before the widespread concept of ? , by definition were atheists. Not that it matters. Religion has dominated the last few millenniums.

You have no proof that the humans that existed before civilization did not believe in gods your claim is nonsense.

And it is far better to be a Christian that says ? on a hip-hop website than to be an atheist. Atheist are the most despised people on the planet with good reason
  • zzombie
    Options

So quick question, with tv networks, shows, radio channels and journalists dedicated to a purely positive view of Christianity, how can you possibly think the opposing view is significant? It's not even close to being proportional. Most news networks etc are run by Christians. I just don't understand this sense of persecution. Your religion is not above criticism and with free inquiry, you shouldn't be so intolerant of it. Even though the criticism is extremely minimal, comparatively.

Highly unlikely, the book was written and authored by men. Not just men in the sense of humans but males. Look at the repression of women by religion. It's impossible for you to prove there was any divine authorship in the bible, as is the case with all religions. Your Christianity is purely circumstantial. You're not a Christian because it's self evident, you believe in it because of indoctrination. You would have been Muslim if you were born in Saudi Arabia. What type of belief is that?

I am not out to prove my faith to you or give you reasons why I believe. I believe because I choose to believe it's that simple. If you or any atheist mischaracterize my ? and religion I will correct you that's the only reason I get into verbal wars with people here. People convert to different religions and denominations all the time. I am a Christian because I want to be I don't come from a family that forces religion onto our youth.

According to the teaching of the bible it was authored by ? .

Christian are very tolerant if not we would be slaughtering you atheist in the streets like the Muslims want to do. The Christian networks provide niche programming so there existence alone doesn't invalidate what I am saying.

the mainstream and wider media is hostile toward Christianity and most tv networks are run by soul less corporate interests not Christians.

What's really unproportional is the amount of push back christians do when our values and beliefs are attacked.
  • The_Jackal
    edited January 2016
    Options

that is dumb as ?

But you wouldn't even know because we don't have a record of their written history. Your assuming it because it fits your view when you have absolutely no proof. Even today theorythat Stonehenge was a religious area ofand human sacrifice taken place there is common
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

? the there of the greatest first Greek philosophers believed I'm higher beings.

They were anti the established religion. ATHEOS. It was a brand to show them as traitors to the Greek thought. You guys need to study more. Its a brand against any radical thought or foreign philosophy.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Mesopotamia is not the oldest, there are older civilization it's just closer to Europe and mention in the bible the area Abraham came from. But technically it isn't even the oldest.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

They were anti the established religion. ATHEOS. It was a brand to show them as traitors to the Greek thought. You guys need to study more. Its a brand against any radical thought or foreign philosophy.

Again the first three GREATEST Greek philosophers Socrates, Plato and diogenes believed in Gods. Even aristotle did
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Mesopotamia is not the oldest, there are older civilization it's just closer to Europe and mention in the bible the area Abraham came from. But technically it isn't even the oldest.

Didn't say it was the oldest said it was one of the oldest established civilizations
  • The_Jackal
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Socrates in his apology even says
    "For I do believe that there are gods and in a far higher sense than any of my accusers believe in them. And to you and to ? I commit my cause, to be determined by you as is best for you and me."
    Just cause the he went against the order of how people saw gods doesn't mean he didn't believe in them himself.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options

that is dumb as ?

You have no proof that the humans that existed before civilization did not believe in gods your claim is nonsense.

And it is far better to be a Christian that says ? on a hip-hop website than to be an atheist. Atheist are the most despised people on the planet with good reason

Honestly, what proof could there possibly be for non-belief in an idea not even created yet? It's not absurd to believe the earliest humans had no concept of what refer to as a deity today.

Again, spoken like a true Christian. The most despised on this planet? That's a bold claim. What consensus did you pull this from? Or are you just making stuff up.

Christians have no moral superiority and given it's history, I think you should be far more humbled, especially referring to people as being despised. You would never hear a non-believer say something as disgusting as people from your faith. After all, it was an Archbishop that said the following: "The very worst the (nuclear) Bomb can do is to sweep a vast number of People from this world into the next into which they must all go anyway". What atheist would say that?
  • The_Jackal
    Options

that is dumb as ?

Honestly, what proof could there possibly be for non-belief in an idea not even created yet? It's not absurd to believe the earliest humans had no concept of what refer to as a deity today.

Again, spoken like a true Christian. The most despised on this planet? That's a bold claim. What consensus did you pull this from? Or are you just making stuff up.

Christians have no moral superiority and given it's history, I think you should be far more humbled, especially referring to people as being despised. You would never hear a non-believer say something as disgusting as people from your faith. After all, it was an Archbishop that said the following: "The very worst the (nuclear) Bomb can do is to sweep a vast number of People from this world into the next into which they must all go anyway". What atheist would say that?

Your still assuming that the idea wasn't created. Nobody is mentioning it to be strictly passed on organized religion just the belief in a higher being. The fact that the earliest civilization had writing and drawings of ? 's presents a very strong cases since before written history most stories were passed down ?
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options
    I am not out to prove my faith to you or give you reasons why I believe. I believe because I choose to believe it's that simple. If you or any atheist mischaracterize my ? and religion I will correct you that's the only reason I get into verbal wars with people here. People convert to different religions and denominations all the time. I am a Christian because I want to be I don't come from a family that forces religion onto our youth.

Christian are very tolerant if not we would be slaughtering you atheist in the streets like the Muslims want to do. The Christian networks provide niche programming so there existence alone doesn't invalidate what I am saying.

the mainstream and wider media is hostile toward Christianity and most tv networks are run by soul less corporate interests not Christians.

What's really unproportional is the amount of push back christians do when our values and beliefs are attacked.

My point is, religion is, in most cases circumstantial. Saudi Arabia requires all its citizens by law to be Muslims. Or if you were born to an isolated tribe in South America, your chances of being a Christian are remarkably low. Can you concede that point?

Well you've constructed a circular argument that can never be proven. "The bible is true because ? wrote it" "We know ? wrote it because it says so in the bible and the bible is true" to believe that, requires faith. Which is perfectly fine with me. I just wish the religious would call it that

Tolerant? lol Christianity isn't even tolerant of Christians with different denominations lol

Well I appreciate you not slaughtering people because they have different views. Christianity is anything but tolerant and you know it. I won't even talk about the persecution of the Jews by the Church, the forced conversion of many indigenous people on threat of death, the Witch trials etc

What push back are you referring to specifically?
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options

that is dumb as ?

Your still assuming that the idea wasn't created. Nobody is mentioning it to be strictly passed on organized religion just the belief in a higher being. The fact that the earliest civilization had writing and drawings of ? 's presents a very strong cases since before written history most stories were passed down ?

I'll concede that point.
  • zzombie
    Options

that is dumb as ?

www.scientificamerican.com/article/in-atheists-we-distrust/

usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1
    People don't like atheist.

IT IS totally absurd to believe that the earliest human did not believe in gods because all our earliest records indicate that they did. I am not conversatating with you to try and prove my ? to you i have no interest in doing that all i am doing it confronting your slander that is it

you are bringing up irrevelent ? i never mentioned anything about moral superority but atheist really don't have any moral in the sense that you don't have any code of conduct each individual atheist is a law giver unto himself.

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." stalin
  • zzombie
    Options

My point is, religion is, in most cases circumstantial. Saudi Arabia requires all its citizens by law to be Muslims. Or if you were born to an isolated tribe in South America, your chances of being a Christian are remarkably low. Can you concede that point?

Well you've constructed a circular argument that can never be proven. "The bible is true because ? wrote it" "We know ? wrote it because it says so in the bible and the bible is true" to believe that, requires faith. Which is perfectly fine with me. I just wish the religious would call it that

Tolerant? lol Christianity isn't even tolerant of Christians with different denominations lol

Well I appreciate you not slaughtering people because they have different views. Christianity is anything but tolerant and you know it. I won't even talk about the persecution of the Jews by the Church, the forced conversion of many indigenous people on threat of death, the Witch trials etc

well, i am not from arabia and religion is a choice especially today no one is putting a gun to my head and making me be a christian and even if they did no one can make me love the religion i am in as much as i do. this is a free society arabia is not.

i have not constructed a circular argument i am not arguing on that subject at all i am just telling you what the bible says about who is responsible for it. that is all. LOL religious people always state that ultimately they have faith and that the works of ? cannot to totally known.

christians are the most tolerant people on earth christians are about as tolerant as any group can be. we let atheist live, we let muslims live christians would be killed if this was an atheist or muslim country. almost every nation that has proclaimed itself to be officially atheist oppressed people for their theism.

for the bold like most atheist you refuse to see the difference between the religious doctrine of christianity and the political actions of christians they are 2 different things.

i was talking about the almost non existent cultural, political and economic push back that atheist should get from christians but because we are tolerant we do not give
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

well, i am not from arabia and religion is a choice especially today no one is putting a gun to my head and making me be a christian and even if they did no one can make me love the religion i am in as much as i do. this is a free society arabia is not.

i have not constructed a circular argument i am not arguing on that subject at all i am just telling you what the bible says about who is responsible for it. that is all. LOL religious people always state that ultimately they have faith and that the works of ? cannot to totally known.

christians are the most tolerant people on earth christians are about as tolerant as any group can be. we let atheist live, we let muslims live christians would be killed if this was an atheist or muslim country. almost every nation that has proclaimed itself to be officially atheist oppressed people for their theism.

for the bold like most atheist you refuse to see the difference between the religious doctrine of christianity and the political actions of christians they are 2 different things.

i was talking about the almost non existent cultural, political and economic push back that atheist should get from christians but because we are tolerant we do not give

Many nations that are non religious in population are very tolerant of other beliefs, Japan, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Vietnam, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, etc

In fact, 81% of people in Denmark are not religious and 83% of people in Sweden are non-religious, and those societies are known to be very accepting of other beliefs.

Christians historically are famous for not being tolerant or respectful of other people.
  • zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options

Many nations that are non religious in population are very tolerant of other beliefs, Japan, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Vietnam, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, etc

In fact, 81% of people in Denmark are not religious and 83% of people in Sweden are non-religious, and those societies are known to be very accepting of other beliefs.

Christians historically are famous for not being tolerant or respectful of other people.

you did not read what i said

I said every nation that has OFFICIALLY MADE itself atheist has oppressed people

demark is a secular state not an atheist state