USA: Do you see a future where most of our black women wear their hair naturally?

Options

Comments

• MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, it will happen eventually.
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    Only when black women feel no shame about their kinks and decide that they WANT to rock their natural hair texture to special events.

i.e THEIR WEDDING! / AWARD CEREMONY / NEWS ANCHOR JOBS!

then the pride might trickle down to a local level.

I wish I had been AWOKEN by my wedding. I deeply regret that.

But now I have a second chance.

I will be attending a very snooty fancy upscale wedding next weekend and will most likely be the only black person there.. And I will rock my curls so damn hard that the poor bride will be ignored because the spotlight WILL be on me.

On a side note....

I can't for the life of me figure out what possesed people to think that this hair is not beautiful & that it's "bad" hair?

Beautiful brothas and sistas, kings & queens...how did they fool us?

b9f3uh.jpg

All due respect sweetheart, the average black persons natural hair doesn't look anything like that.
    I don't think anyone is saying your hair is not beautiful or that you don't have "good hair". Lol

Let's keep it real.

You clearly have never heard of a braid out.

Ignorance is strong on this forum.

What... Is THIS your interpretation of "bad hair"??

21muweu.jpg
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    I'd like to think that day will come...and soon

Especially considering the health risks associated with chemical straighteners and heat

But natural hair is hard work, a lot of women don't have the time or patience

I love my locs, but the upkeep <perm

This some ? as a man ill prolly never get.
    idk how constantly ? with your hair adding chemicals, different styles, and putting other peoples hair in your head is easier than just letting your hair grow and keeping it clean :anguished:

When I used to get perms, generally I'd curl it after a wash than wrap it up ever night repeat the process every other week depending on the weather...

With my locs after I wash my hair I have to retwist it which takes close to 2 hrs and than I have to sit underneath the dryer for at least 30 minutes if I wash it late in the day

Guess my biggest gripe is the washing and retwisting process

With natural loose hair I could just wash my hair and go when it was short...but once I got length that's when it became an issue

When it hair is long, straight hair is just more manageable

Especially if for over 15, 20 years straight hair is all you dealt with

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't y'all think it's just better to accept the maintenance that goes along with the natural hair?

Knowing what you know now. Does it give you a different perspective on how to treat your daughter's hair?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MissK wrote: »
    Mann i hope so

why?
    I mean do men really stop and say damn I was gonna ? this chick but she doesn't have natural hair so pass
    not necessarily
    but it might change our approach
    cant speak for all dudes tho
    id more likely look at a woman whose put together confident not too big on makeup and wears her own hair as somebody to spend a future with
    this is strictly outward appearance im speaking on without knowing the person

u walking around with some nicki minaj blac chyna ? on your head thats more like a smash and keep it moving vibe u putting off.
    To me anyway
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    Only when black women feel no shame about their kinks and decide that they WANT to rock their natural hair texture to special events.

I will be attending a very snooty fancy upscale wedding next weekend and will most likely be the only black person there.. And I will rock my curls so damn hard that the poor bride will be ignored because the spotlight WILL be on me.

On a side note....

I can't for the life of me figure out what possesed people to think that this hair is not beautiful & that it's "bad" hair?

b9f3uh.jpg

All due respect sweetheart, the average black persons natural hair doesn't look anything like that.
    I don't think anyone is saying your hair is not beautiful or that you don't have "good hair". Lol

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

No. You have "good hair".

I'm Fully aware of that technique. Wife does the same thing, sometimes - braids her hair at night and takes it out on the morning.

What I am trying to tell you is that there are some black women whose hair will never look that good, naturally.

I'll chill tho, this seems to be upsetting you, which was not my intent.
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    @desertrain10

These ignorant men have no idea what it takes to maintain natural hair... Yet they feel they have every right to criticize our hair and tell us what we should be doing with it.

l agree when you said that it is much easier when you straighten you hair because the style can last a week or more. But when you do braidouts, twistouts, bantu knots, etc... Those styles only last me 2 days max .... And then you have repeat the process of having to detangle and rebraid your hair for 30 minutes... Then wait for it to dry overnight.

I also agree that wash and go's are easier for shorter hair.

I personally have thrown away all my heat tools and am spending my time doing my hair very often or keeping it in buns simple because I want it to continue growing.

Straightening my hair every 2 weeks has left me with about 4 inches of heat damage, and I am currently growing it out so that I can cut it in early 2017.

But no more heat for me. I am straight slaying my natural curls every day ;)
  • MistyKnight
    Options

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

I'm Fully aware of that technique. Wife does the same thing, sometimes - braids her hair at night and takes it out on the morning.

What I am trying to tell you is that there are some black women whose hair will never look that good, naturally.

So you believe that certain black women have "bad hair"?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mann i hope so

why?
    I mean do men really stop and say damn I was gonna ? this chick but she doesn't have natural hair so pass

Yep
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd like to think that day will come...and soon

Especially considering the health risks associated with chemical straighteners and heat

But natural hair is hard work, a lot of women don't have the time or patience

I love my locs, but the upkeep <perm

This some ? as a man ill prolly never get.
    idk how constantly ? with your hair adding chemicals, different styles, and putting other peoples hair in your head is easier than just letting your hair grow and keeping it clean :anguished:

When I used to get perms, generally I'd curl it after a wash than wrap it up ever night repeat the process every other week depending on the weather...

With my locs after I wash my hair I have to retwist it which takes close to 2 hrs and than I have to sit underneath the dryer for at least 30 minutes if I wash it late in the day

Guess my biggest gripe is the washing and retwisting process

With natural loose hair I could just wash my hair and go when it was short...but once I got length that's when it became an issue

When it hair is long, straight hair is just more manageable

Especially if for over 15, 20 years straight hair is all you dealt with

Let me c your hair
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

This post is divisive...

Let her cook.

Fair... I hear that.

Just trying to contribute to the topic.
    ? are ? on black women for wearing weave or getting perms, and completely ignoring the struggle of dealing with nappy, challenging African hair in America.

We can encourage black women to be more natural, but let's be honest about what that actually looks like and the challenges they face in doing so.

Of course Khaleesi's photo is beautiful. That goes without saying

Right. Boy I tell ya, these IC ? gonna ? & moan about a broads hair whether she got a weave, perm, wig, or natural. ? just like complaining.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @desertrain10

These ignorant men have no idea what it takes to maintain natural hair... Yet they feel they have every right to criticize our hair and tell us what we should be doing with it.

l agree when you said that it is much easier when you straighten you hair because the style can last a week or more. But when you do braidouts, twistouts, bantu knots, etc... Those styles only last me 2 days max .... And then you have repeat the process of having to detangle and rebraid your hair for 30 minutes... Then wait for it to dry overnight.

I also agree that wash and go's are easier for shorter hair.

I personally have thrown away all my heat tools and am spending my time doing my hair very often or keeping it in buns simple because I want it to continue growing.

Straightening my hair every 2 weeks has left me with about 4 inches of heat damage, and I am currently growing it out so that I can cut it in early 2017.

But no more heat for me. I am straight slaying my natural curls every day ;)

Lol heat is the devil

When I first starting transitioning I was using a hot comb to blend textures

Cut to 6 months later... my hair was so damaged I ended up having to do a big chop...the very thing I was trying to avoid doing :/

I can say though that the work and patience is worth it in the end
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The maintenance ain't that dam tideous....

Just say your lazy or prefer a certain style or type of hair
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, will never happen.

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

I believe that it is more difficult for certain black women to maintain and present their hair in a way that is appreciated by society (including black and white people alike).

How many of these holier than thou cats have ladies with scoop ? ?

I am just not ignoring the fact that it isn't an equal playing field.

Do you believe that certain black women are "not beautiful".
    Or does every human being have equal beauty?

Notice, I haven't criticized anyone- I am trying to stop the criticism.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I clicked the link, and saw exactly what I expected: mostly black women with "natural" hair that is not really natural to black, unmixed women of West African descent.

Women with hair like this:

tumblr_lze9dxHXzq1qeb6upo1_500.jpg

23ixjxx.jpg

1291416221912.jpg

That's why I say y'all are ? brainwashed.
    6ZPH4Qi.jpg
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    taeboo wrote: »
    You all know there is no one kind of natrual black hair right. And it's obvious that some of you don't know the kind of maintenance natrual hair needs to be healthy...

i know what you're saying but are you insinuating that straighter (re: white people's) hair is easier to take care and therefore better..............?

Before you come at me, thats what it sounds like a lot of times when women complain about their natural hair
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mann i hope so

why?

Yep

I see.
    I relax my hair and it is healthy. Never been told pass due to that fact.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mann i hope so

why?

Yep

I see.

Lol I wasn't serious.
  • MistyKnight
    Options

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

I believe that it is more difficult for certain black women to maintain and present their hair in a way that is appreciated by society (including black and white people alike).

Do you believe that certain black women are "not beautiful". Or does every human being have equal beauty?

I am really not understanding. I believe that every single hair type of black hair IS beautiful.

Post a picture of what you think is the "worst of the worst" when to comes to types of black hair..... I'll wait..
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

Do you believe that certain black women are "not beautiful". Or does every human being have equal beauty?
    No
    Scoop
    ?
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mann i hope so

why?

Yep

I see.

Lol I wasn't serious.

neither was my original post
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, will never happen.

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

I am really not understanding...

I answered your question. Would you be kind enough to answer mine?

Do you believe that certain black women are "not beautiful".

Or does every African American human being have equal beauty?

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    You all know there is no one kind of natrual black hair right. And it's obvious that some of you don't know the kind of maintenance natrual hair needs to be healthy...

i know what you're saying but are you insinuating that straighter (re: white people's) hair is easier to take care and therefore better..............?

Before you come at me, thats what it sounds like a lot of times when women complain about their natural hair

Straight hair doesn't mean white people's hair...that's what a lot of people who criticize even women who are natural dont realize. Straightening your hair is literally just that...giving it a different look. What they complain about is the maintenance of keeping it up regardless of what style it's in. My wife has never had a perm in her entire life and will get ? at anyone who suggests she get one but I'd be a damn liar if I didn't say that watching her have to maintain her isn't time consuming at times. Imagine instead of a quick trip to the barber every time you wanted to "do your hair" we had to block out literally hrs of a day that day and days after to maintain that shape up? We would complain too
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    blackrain wrote: »

Straight hair doesn't mean white people's hair...that's what a lot of people who criticize even women who are natural dont realize. Straightening your hair is literally just that...giving it a different look. What they complain about is the maintenance of keeping it up regardless of what style it's in. My wife has never had a perm in her entire life and will get missed at anyone who suggests she get one but I'd be a damn liar if I didn't say that watching her have to maintain her isn't time consuming at times. Imagine instead of a quick trip to the barber every time you wanted to "do your hair" we had to block out literally hrs of a day that day and days after to maintain that shape up? We would complain too

Exactly. People are ignoring this

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Straight hair doesn't mean white people's hair...that's what a lot of people who criticize even women who are natural dont realize. Straightening your hair is literally just that...giving it a different look. What they complain about is the maintenance of keeping it up regardless of what style it's in. My wife has never had a perm in her entire life and will get ? at anyone who suggests she get one but I'd be a damn liar if I didn't say that watching her have to maintain her isn't time consuming at times. Imagine instead of a quick trip to the barber every time you wanted to "do your hair" we had to block out literally hrs of a day that day and days after to maintain that shape up? We would complain too

i know. i watched my sisters and mother and cousins and friends go natural . but the same logic that its "hard to manage/maintain" is the same logic people who diss Afro-textured hair use
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Natural hair and a natural way of living is a powerful non verbal statement made to all who see you. It's a sign of self respect, self love, confidence and power. You stand out. Outstanding people don't always "fit in". It shows you are proud of your natural self. It shows that the social stigmas of the world submit to you.

Even if your hair is naturally straight, keep it natural.

@Khaleesi you're a gorgeous young lady. Keep it natural.