USA: Do you see a future where most of our black women wear their hair naturally?

Options

Comments

• MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, it will happen eventually.
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    Only when black women feel no shame about their kinks and decide that they WANT to rock their natural hair texture to special events.

i.e THEIR WEDDING! / AWARD CEREMONY / NEWS ANCHOR JOBS!

then the pride might trickle down to a local level.

I wish I had been AWOKEN by my wedding. I deeply regret that.

But now I have a second chance.

I will be attending a very snooty fancy upscale wedding next weekend and will most likely be the only black person there.. And I will rock my curls so damn hard that the poor bride will be ignored because the spotlight WILL be on me.

On a side note....

I can't for the life of me figure out what possesed people to think that this hair is not beautiful & that it's "bad" hair?

Beautiful brothas and sistas, kings & queens...how did they fool us?

b9f3uh.jpg

All due respect sweetheart, the average black persons natural hair doesn't look anything like that.
    I don't think anyone is saying your hair is not beautiful or that you don't have "good hair". Lol

Let's keep it real.

You clearly have never heard of a braid out.

Ignorance is strong on this forum.

What... Is THIS your interpretation of "bad hair"??

2cykvut.jpg

No. You have "good hair".

I'm Fully aware of that technique. Wife does the same thing, sometimes - braids her hair at night and takes it out on the morning.

What I am trying to tell you is that there are some black women whose hair will never look that good, naturally.

I'll chill tho, this seems to be upsetting you, which was not my intent.

So you believe that certain black women have "bad hair"?

I believe that it is more difficult for certain black women to maintain and present their hair in a way that is appreciated by society (including black and white people alike).

How many of these holier than thou cats have ladies with scoop ? ?

I am just not ignoring the fact that it isn't an equal playing field.

Do you believe that certain black women are "not beautiful". Or does every human being have equal beauty?

I am really not understanding...

I answered your question. Would you be kind enough to answer mine?

Do you believe that certain black women are "not beautiful".

Or does every African American human being have equal beauty?

I believe that everything black is beautiful.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do black men have an easier time growing out and maintaining a healthy head of hair? So many of us have dreads...
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    taeboo wrote: »
    You all know there is no one kind of natrual black hair right. And it's obvious that some of you don't know the kind of maintenance natrual hair needs to be healthy...

i know what you're saying but are you insinuating that straighter (re: white people's) hair is easier to take care and therefore better..............?

Before you come at me, thats what it sounds like a lot of times when women complain about their natural hair

Straight hair doesn't mean white people's hair...that's what a lot of people who criticize even women who are natural dont realize. Straightening your hair is literally just that...giving it a different look. What they complain about is the maintenance of keeping it up regardless of what style it's in. My wife has never had a perm in her entire life and will get ? at anyone who suggests she get one but I'd be a damn liar if I didn't say that watching her have to maintain her isn't time consuming at times. Imagine instead of a quick trip to the barber every time you wanted to "do your hair" we had to block out literally hrs of a day that day and days after to maintain that shape up? We would complain too

i know. i watched my sisters and mother and cousins and friends go natural . but the same logic that its "hard to manage/maintain" is the same logic people who diss Afro-textured hair use

The women who complain about the time consumption of maintaining their hair are doing just that...complaining about the time itself not their actual hair. The logic isn't the same at all. One is complaining literally about how they look another is complaining about time, their arms and shoulders hurting etc...
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »
    The maintenance ain't that dam tideous....

Just say your lazy or prefer a certain style or type of hair

If you working fulltime...

Have children to care for...

A house to maintain ....

Or school ...

It can be...

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You all know there is no one kind of natrual black hair right. And it's obvious that some of you don't know the kind of maintenance natrual hair needs to be healthy...

i know what you're saying but are you insinuating that straighter (re: white people's) hair is easier to take care and therefore better..............?

Before you come at me, thats what it sounds like a lot of times when women complain about their natural hair

Straight hair doesn't mean white people's hair...that's what a lot of people who criticize even women who are natural dont realize. Straightening your hair is literally just that...giving it a different look. What they complain about is the maintenance of keeping it up regardless of what style it's in. My wife has never had a perm in her entire life and will get ? at anyone who suggests she get one but I'd be a damn liar if I didn't say that watching her have to maintain her isn't time consuming at times. Imagine instead of a quick trip to the barber every time you wanted to "do your hair" we had to block out literally hrs of a day that day and days after to maintain that shape up? We would complain too

i know. i watched my sisters and mother and cousins and friends go natural . but the same logic that its "hard to manage/maintain" is the same logic people who diss Afro-textured hair use

The women who complain about the time consumption of maintaining their hair are doing just that...complaining about the time itself not their actual hair. The logic isn't the same at all. One is complaining literally about how they look another is complaining about time, their arms and shoulders hurting etc...

i've literally several women say natural hair is so hard to take care of ....then the next sentence diss natural hair
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A house to maintain ....

Or school ...

It can be...
    But you got time to keep up with your shows right?
    Well you may have to miss love n hip hop power empire and scandal ok??

Dvr it and watch it on the weekend

Don't tell me you every single half hour of your day scheduled and planned

It takes me 45 min for a cut but factor in travel time, wait time cause a barber shop is never empty, that's almost 2 hours every time

When I had my dreads, never shorter than 2 hours , and most was spent under that hot ass dryer
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

i've literally several women say natural hair is so hard to take care of ....then the next sentence diss natural hair

You also hear women talk about how much heels make their feet hurt, say they hate them, and in the next sentence say they need to go buy some more...point being if they hated it that bad they'd perm their hair not just complain about it...and again what probably adds to the negative perception of natural hair is the misplaced idea many have of what natural hair looks like.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    Only when black women feel no shame about their kinks and decide that they WANT to rock their natural hair texture to special events.

I will be attending a very snooty fancy upscale wedding next weekend and will most likely be the only black person there.. And I will rock my curls so damn hard that the poor bride will be ignored because the spotlight WILL be on me.

On a side note....

I can't for the life of me figure out what possesed people to think that this hair is not beautiful & that it's "bad" hair?

b9f3uh.jpg

All due respect sweetheart, the average black persons natural hair doesn't look anything like that.
    I don't think anyone is saying your hair is not beautiful or that you don't have "good hair". Lol

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

I'm Fully aware of that technique. Wife does the same thing, sometimes - braids her hair at night and takes it out on the morning.

What I am trying to tell you is that there are some black women whose hair will never look that good, naturally.

I believe that it is more difficult for certain black women to maintain and present their hair in a way that is appreciated by society (including black and white people alike).

Do you believe that certain black women are "not beautiful". Or does every human being have equal beauty?

That is a beautiful sentiment.

But if you truly believe that on a practical level and apply it to your daily perceptions and interactions - kudos to you.

I have not met many people that have never verbally spoken or indicated that another person (yes - even a black person) is unnatractive or "less than beautiful".
  • MistyKnight
    Options

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

But if you truly believe that on a practical level and apply it to your daily perceptions and interactions - kudos to you.

I have not met many people that have never verbally spoken or indicated that another person (yes - even a black person) is unattractive or "less than beautiful".

If you had asked me if I find certain women (including all races) unattractive then I would have answered, yes.

But because you threw the word "black" in there, you turned it into an entirely different type of question.

By adding the word "black" that could be interpreted as whether or not I disliked them because of their skin tone or because of the type of hair they naturally have. To that, my answer will always be NO.

"Do you think this black chick looks ugly?" No.
    "Do you think this black chick's natural hair looks ugly?" No.

I truly believe that everything black IS beautiful.
  • Peace_79
    Options
    No, will never happen.

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

I have not met many people that have never verbally spoken or indicated that another person (yes - even a black person) is unattractive or "less than beautiful".

If you had asked me if I find certain women (including all races) unattractive then I would have answered, yes.

But because you threw the word "black" in there, you turned it into an entirely different type of question.

By adding the word "black" that could be interpreted as whether or not I disliked them because of their skin tone or because of the type of hair they naturally have. To that, my answer will always be NO.

Interesting.

Most people place "beautiful" on the spectrum of attractiveness... my mistake for assuming that you did as well.

Let me put it this way.

Correct me if i am wrong, but judging by your response, you do, in fact, believe certain people to be "unnatractive".

Therefore, who are you to judge which people or which specific physical features I or anyone else deems "unnattractive"?

Furthermore, who gives any of us the right to demand they change and /or chastise black women for what they choose to do with their own hair?

It's ridiculous to assume that black women with infinte distributions of African decent will NOT have infinite distributions of hair... some of which is generally perceived as naturally "more attractive" or easier to maintain than others ...

Before you scream from the mountain tops that a black woman (or anyone else) should not care what other people think about how they look... ask yourself why you care about how you look or why you judge everyone you see based on how they look.

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    ? up in here really giving females hair tips?

Screen-Shot-2014-02-28-at-5.01.01-PM.png

I thought they was lying talking bout the IC got a bunch of dudes who do hair...
  • desertrain10
    Options

A house to maintain ....

Or school ...

It can be...

It takes me 45 min for a cut but factor in travel time, wait time cause a barber shop is never empty, that's almost 2 hours every time

When I had my dreads, never shorter than 2 hours , and most was spent under that hot ass dryer

I have locs too

Say I had loose, natural hair

If i already had a long day and want to relax instead of spending that time messing with my hair, nothing is wrong with that

Loose natural hair you just can't get up, moisture and go about it business or just go to bed with it not in some protective style if you want healthy hair lol
  • jetlifebih
    Options

A house to maintain ....

Or school ...

It can be...

I have locs too

If i already had a long day and want to relax instead of spending that time messing with my hair, nothing is wrong with that

Loose natural hair you just can't get up, moisture and go about it business or just go to bed with it not in some protective style if you want healthy hair lol

And what's wrong with doing it after you relax?

I used to smoke before I washed my ? and before I went to the shop

Id be lying if I said it wasn't time consuming

But id be lazy if I made it seem impossible
  • MistyKnight
    Options

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

Interesting.

Most people place "beautiful" on the spectrum of attractiveness... my mistake for assuming that you did as well.

Let me put it this way.

Correct me if i am wrong, but judging by your response, you do, in fact, believe certain people to be "unnatractive".

Therefore, who are you to judge which people or which specific physical features I or anyone else deems "unnattractive"?

Furthermore, who gives any of us the right to demand they change and /or chastise black women for what they choose to do with their own hair?

It's ridiculous to assume that black women with infinte distributions of African decent will NOT have infinite distributions of hair... some of which is generally perceived as naturally "more attractive" or easier to maintain than others ...

Before you scream from the mountain tops that a black woman (or anyone else) should not care what other people think about how they look... ask yourself why you care about how you look or why you judge everyone you see based on how they look.

But you aren't asking yourself WHY you feel that certain types of black hair is unattractive or "less" attractive.

That reason is because western society has BRAINWASHED you into believing that types of black hair can be unattractive.

This all ties in to colorism and the "good" hair "bad" hair tactics which they use to try to divide us as a race/community.
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    You are comparing how a person looks physically to how a person's hair is naturally grown from their head.
    This is beyond comparing apples to oranges.

Hair can't be "unattractive" or "ugly". There's no such thing.
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes having permed hair or a weave is easier to maintain, but it's not better. There are tradeoffs however a woman chooses to wear her hair.
  • LPast
    Options
    Is black hair hard to maintain in our own eyes or only when we compare to other races/ethnicities?
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    Is black hair hard to maintain in our own eyes or only when we compare to other races/ethnicities?

Snowball effect.
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    You are comparing how a person looks physically to how a person's hair is naturally grown from their head.
    This is beyond comparing apples to oranges.

Hair can't be "unattractive" or "ugly". There's no such thing.

What is so exclusive about hair?
    How can someone's hair NOT help comprise how attractive they are?

It is a physical feature - a part of how someone physically looks.

On a side note....

b9f3uh.jpg

Let's keep it real.

2cykvut.jpg

Interesting.

Let me put it this way.

But you aren't asking yourself WHY you feel that certain types of black hair is unattractive or "less" attractive.

That reason is because western society has BRAINWASHED you into believing that types of black hair can be unattractive.

This all ties in to colorism and the "good" hair "bad" hair tactics which they use to try to divide us as a race/community.

There is truth to this, but I believe it is over played due to convenience.

If the same collection of African _____ people that currently exist in this country (with varying African, Asian, European, Italian etc descent) existed in another part of the world ; do you believe that there would be NO judgement whatsoever regarding the spectrum of hair, lips, nose,eyes, height, weight, skin tone etc. exhibited by the population?

I'm not even talking about discrimination... I am talking about preference.

You prefer certain black men to others... I prefer certain black women to others.

Is that influenced by western culture? Maybe

But if it wasn't, it would be influenced by whatever culture that we happened to be indoctrinated in.

It's human nature
  • jaymafia
    jaymafia Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
  • desertrain10
    Options

A house to maintain ....

Or school ...

It can be...

I have locs too

And never said or suggested it was impossible

I can understand why the maintenance it would turn off some women though

Wouldn't say they were necessarily lazy though

• Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    AP21 wrote: »
    ? up in here really giving females hair tips?

Screen-Shot-2014-02-28-at-5.01.01-PM.png

I thought they was lying talking bout the IC got a bunch of dudes who do hair...

Word up.

Aye... my dude. Coconut oil is good for the hair and scalp. Also a good Lubricant for the ?
  • jetlifebih
    Options

A house to maintain ....

Or school ...

It can be...

I have locs too

And never said or suggested it was impossible

I can understand why the maintenance it would turn off some women though

Wouldn't say they were necessarily lazy though

When someone would rather take the easy route which may be less healthier than the hard route what is that called what? And uses word/phrases like "harder to maintain"

Unwilling to work or use energy (to achieve a desired look) lol
  • LPast
    Options
    It makes sense though. Most of America is overweight and our reason is that healthy food is expensive and there isn't time to workout.

We all make excuses.