Westie wrote: »
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    What I don't hear talked about as often is the discrimination of darker skinned black women against those of fairer complexion. It's essentially a retaliation of black women against their own race for the perceived advantages afforded to black women of a lighter complexion.

My wife, mother and grandmother-in-law have experienced this to varying degrees.

Define discrimination

Discrimination: the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

so how do dark skinned women discriminate against light skinned women, by treating them different?

My grandmother-in-law has been told she is hideous, unfit to procreate, and horrible person and much worse by her own family ... Solely based on the color of her skin

Her older siblings made her cry and sent her into depression ... Solely based on the color of her skin

She was denied employment by black hiring managers because of her fair skin

She sought multiple companions who were the darkest complexion imaginable ... To prevent her children from enduring this discrimination

To this day, my wife has a fraction of the black friends she could ... Because many assumed she thought she was "better than them" ... They called her names and behaved rudely to her because of this

Etc...

In America? Every single older woman in my family passes the brown paper bag test, & I have never heard anything like that. Quite the opposite. Not saying what you're saying is invalid, I've just not been exposed to those experiences...I've seen so much discrimination against dark skinned women though. Everybody has their own experiences....

The thing is, what you are referring to happened two years ago. Does that still happen now here? In your experience that is.

That's why I brought it up. It never gets talked about.

We have been so angry about the discrimination against darker skinned woman in America that we have channeled that hate and forced it on our own race.

Hate begets more hate

you don't think that maybe these incidents aren't talked about because they happen a lot less frequently than the opposite? Or maybe because there's also privilege and being light skinned? I can't see the privilege in being dark skinned in society.

Lol. Hate begets more hate.

Think about what you are saying.

In theory, you are saying it was "okay" ... Or atleast less of an issue... for my grandmother-in-law to be demonized and made to hate herself because of her skin color...

Because by your estimation, darker skinned people have "had it worse".

You realize that your entire justification for the discrimination is fueled by your emotions and your perspective ... Not on the fact that it is morally a wrong thing to do.

Do you see how that is a slippery slope

I am absolutely not saying what your grandmother went through was okay. What I am saying, is that why people don't talk about it more, is there is more privileged in being light skinned.

From your perspective...

Do you think that she saw it that way?

My phone is tripping I think I may have posted this twice

But what I think she is alluding to is that there is an extended and significant body of evidence indicating that in the past and today light skinned blks experience a wide range of privileges that darker skinned are not offered ... among them, more forgiveness and shorter sentencing in the justice system and expanded job/education prospects, as well as legacy privileges from earlier eras of colorism

Subsequently some darker skinned blks grow resentful of their lighter peers but it's not because of skin color....

But rather they are not afforded the same opportunities and viewed to be less appealing aesthetically than their lighter peers even though they share the same ancestral roots

Its important to make that distinction because I see a lot of ppl, especially when we talk about how colorism has impacted lighter skinned bills, try to perpetuate this false narrative that darker skinned ppl especially women are the real problem. They are really the ones who continue to perpetuate colorism.... most of the dark skinned women who speak of there being a light skin privilege are jealous, hateful, mean and violent ...etc ...all of which is wrong

I will also agree with @Westie that when I was growing up my lighter skinned peers weren't targeted and were generally accepted as black...

At the end of the day we are all complicit and need to take part in making change

Who's doing this discriminating?

Also at the 2nd bolded that is true for this generation but the last generation its not for a lot especially in the south.

As a kid I remember numerous family members apologizing to my mother as adults for the way they treated her as a child for being light skin

I think maybe this may be a regional thing? My family grew up on the East Coast.

Both of my grandmothers are light skinned, one is half Japanese, and my mother is light skinned. And I'm talking about very fair all with wavy hair.
    I have heard stories here and there about females treating my mother like she thought she was better than them, but that's where it ends. Maybe because most of their family family members were light-skinned as well? I'm just not familiar with that type of vitriol against light skinned people. In my experience that I have witnessed, it has been quite the opposite

That's a fair assessment. I wouldn't be surprised if this was more prevalent in the south for previous generations, given hat racism was more intense in the southern United States.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH6qPuPSZHU

A social construct within a social construct; a self-replicating mind-? that means nothing. Colorism is as much of an illusion as Race. The best way to combat it is with knowledge. There is no "Black" standard, but there needs to be one. There is no such thing as talking "white," Black people invented language. There is no need to wear white hair, it lacks the strength, body, & life of natural black hair. People who entertain the notion of Colorism are ignorant and beneath you. Surround yourself with good people who uplift you. Know that Black is beautiful, but beauty isn't everything. Beauty isn't a skill; Beautiful people can be stupid, have bad personalities, have poor financial literacy, etc. Beauty fades like flowers wilt. Encourage people to be knowledgeable about their history & culture, and teach them to always reject ignorance.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Idiotic stereotypes CAN stop a person from achieving something... In a myriad of ways.

Indirectly... Yes your right

But she was saying how dark skin people are discriminated against in the justice system, education and employment.

That doesn't come from black people
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

Idiotic stereotypes CAN stop a person from achieving something... In a myriad of ways.

Indirectly... Yes your right

But she was saying how dark skin people are discriminated against in the justice system, education and employment.

That doesn't come from black people

Definitely. I agree.

Although in spots, in previous generations, black on black employment based discrimination has occurred.

Regardless, the retaliation based mistreatment of light skinned people is a problem that we need to address as a community.

It has a very real negative impact on the lives of many.
  • ShottaDaBeast
    ShottaDaBeast Members Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    It's really not that serious among black men but black women take it to the extreme

You really said that!???

And you ? ass ? cosigned it.

Is there a dark butt term for men? Are there songs talking about light skin ? ? Are women in entertainment putting light skin men instead of dark skin men out on Front Street? Give me a ? break.

As a black man i can tell you we really don't get very offended by skin color jokes we don't for the most part take it serious because men unlike women don't have sooo much of our self esteem rolled up in looks.

? what? Bruh ? used to ? me off when I first moved back to America. I had to learn to ? jokes real quick... ? had me in a few fights too
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's really not that serious among black men but black women take it to the extreme

You really said that!???

Is there a dark butt term for men? Are there songs talking about light skin ? ? Are women in entertainment putting light skin men instead of dark skin men out on Front Street? Give me a ? break.

As a black man i can tell you we really don't get very offended by skin color jokes we don't for the most part take it serious because men unlike women don't have sooo much of our self esteem rolled up in looks.

? what? Bruh ? used to ? me off when I first moved back to America. I had to learn to ? jokes real quick... ? had me in a few fights too

I said most of us sorry you are one of those sensitive ass ?
  • Copper
    Options
    Me and my homeboy through elementary to highschool used to joke ( he was dark skin) all the time...I had dark skin jokes and he had jokes...he once got in trouble for screaming “aye white boy you forgot yo books" in the hallway in HS. When we played ball if there was one white boy on the court he would pass it to him and say “my bad I thought that was you" .

We went back forth damn near everyday for years and never caught feelings.

We get around a mixed crowd and they get offended and we have to explain that's how we talk and that's my dude

Females couldn't do that w/o feelings being caught bc women internalize colorism (which might be why they can exhibit it sometimes the most in how they treat people)

Also dark skin black women get lots of back have complements like “you're pretty for a dark skin girl" that dark skin black men don't get.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really don't have much to say on the subject as I believe racism will always exist along with the "? in the bucket" mentality. I don't/never understood colorstruck black folks to begin with It's like who the ? are they trying to impress or what are they trying to prove?

Black is beautiful in my eyes lightskin/darkskin it doesn't/shouldn't matter.
  • ShottaDaBeast
    ShottaDaBeast Members Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You really said that!???

I said most of us sorry you are one of those sensitive ass ?

Easy yaself
  • Peace_79
    edited November 2015
    Options
    From there generation after generation, individuals grow up caught up in the ? and effect each other attributing to our individual points of view due to how they feel they were perceived in this world by their peers. Their peers are judging them based on principles passed down generationally that were rooted from points in #1. Many people can only see their own POV as being dark or light and say that is the only truth while both sides attribute to each other's negative experiences witching the "black community". It's confusion set forth by points in #1.

For blacks in America, it's rooted in white supremacy but spiraled off in various way from there internally within black families and peer groups.

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    What exactly are light-skinned people supposed to do? Stop being light-skinned?

That's half of why I asked who's the discriminating coming from.

This discussion has lots of holes in it

The term discrimination started with @Peace_79 . He said that nobody talks about dark skinned women discriminating against light skinned women.

I don't think either necessarily discriminates against the other...I can't think of either stopping the other from doing or achieving something

I think its mostly idiotic ideas and stereotypes one side has against the other

Which I ask what people is the discrimination coming from?

Idiotic stereotypes CAN stop a person from achieving something... In a myriad of ways. Regardless, there are pockets of fairer skinned people who have experienced discrimination in its purest form from black people of darker complexion.

That's beside the point though. We'll call it "mistreatment" for accuracy's sake.

@desertrain10 alluded to my point in her post. I will disagree with a few pieces, tho

"I will also agree with @Westie that when I was growing up my lighter skinned peers weren't targeted and were generally accepted as black"

This is your experience, it is not fact. It still appears that you are trying to downplay the issue. Several people in this thread have spoken about the fact that it is a real issue.

"Subsequently some darker skinned blks grow resentful of their lighter peers but it's not because of skin color....

But rather they are not afforded the same opportunities and viewed to be less appealing aesthetically than their lighter peers even though they share the same ancestral roots"

It IS because of their skin color, and what they associate with said skin color. This is exactly what I am speaking about.

Understanding the plights of darker skinned women, what has the light skinned person done to warrant this mistreatment?

How do you think this "resentment" has manifested itself over the last few centuries?

My point is that hate begets more hate.

If we are going to discuss colorism in its official capacity, let's also not brush off this issue because it hasn't enjoyed the same level of documentation and attention throughout history.

My point was it's not the color of your grandmother's skin that was thought to be inferior

Ultimately the cause of the resentment was what the color of her skin could potentially afford her...same as some of us here may resent how a white person can walk around a Macy's without being watched

Because fact is there is a such thing as light skinned privilege same as white privilege ...we live in a world where dark skin is viewed as inferior and associated with criminality, violence, immorality etc

Also I did knowledge that there are ppl out their who do resent lighter skin folk...And it's unfortunate when that resentment can turn into hate

However all my 28 yrs of life on this earth light skinned blks have always been embraced and accepted ...dark skinned folk not so much

If that has not been the experiences of your family fine...that's unfortunate

But I'm just speaking my truth

Stop being so defensive

And I think u posted a picture of ur wife before and if that was her she is not what too many ppl would consider light skinned ..

With that said, I would like to ask about her bad experiences with other blk women, did they explicitly state or at least allude to the shade of her skin being the source of some resentment or hostility? Or was it just assumed because these women were of a darker skin tone? No offense

At the end of the day we are all in this together acknowledging each other's pain is important...again let's not turn this into a "well if dark skinned women weren't so...." round table

And this goes out to everyone, while colorism is largely perpetuated by whites, let's not act like it's something we can do as a community and as individuals to uplift each other

• Copper
    Options
    @leftcoastkev and @Peace_79 dropped gems

But some still on that my experiences>>>>yours ? in this thread
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Isn't max half black? Thus making him black?
    Like Obama & Pico?
  • Peace_79
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @desertrain10

My point is that whatever the basis for "mistreatment", it is still wrong, period.

And I am not being defensive, I am just speaking my mind...

Your underlying tone seems to be that whatever mistreatment she or anyone in a similar situaition experienced- "oh well" ... Because the majority of people like her experience "light skinned privilege".

Your down playing it.

Excuse the analogy, but How is that different than a white person down playing racism because it isn't "their truth".

The dismissal and apathy is what I disagree with.

Regarding my wife- no she isn't the fairest of skin, she is somewhere in the middle of the road. That doesn't mean that she couldn't have been treated differently based on her skin tone.

I will admit however that that hasn't been the sole reason she has been treated differently. As others have mentioned, it has also been because of the way she speaks, not being as ghetto as some would like, and the way she carries herself... She has been told countless times that she "acts white" or "thinks she is better than others"... Knowing her personally, the latter couldn't be farther from the truth .:. And the former criticism is unfounded; fabricated internally by our own race.

In the instance of the sorority, no I don't have signed affidavits describing the precise behavior she endured and the nature of it... She didn't "fit in" , largely because of the aforementioned reasons - according to her account.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    Isn't max half black? Thus making him black?
    Like Obama & Pico?

Pico and Obama are black because they identify with and as black people.

Judging by his posting history Max doesn't give a ? about black people therefore Max is just a trolling Mexican no matter what his genetic admixture is.
  • Copper
    edited November 2015
    Options

The term discrimination started with @Peace_79 . He said that nobody talks about dark skinned women discriminating against light skinned women.

I don't think either necessarily discriminates against the other...I can't think of either stopping the other from doing or achieving something

Idiotic stereotypes CAN stop a person from achieving something... In a myriad of ways. Regardless, there are pockets of fairer skinned people who have experienced discrimination in its purest form from black people of darker complexion.

That's beside the point though. We'll call it "mistreatment" for accuracy's sake.

@desertrain10 alluded to my point in her post. I will disagree with a few pieces, tho

"I will also agree with @Westie that when I was growing up my lighter skinned peers weren't targeted and were generally accepted as black"

This is your experience, it is not fact. It still appears that you are trying to downplay the issue. Several people in this thread have spoken about the fact that it is a real issue.

"Subsequently some darker skinned blks grow resentful of their lighter peers but it's not because of skin color....

But rather they are not afforded the same opportunities and viewed to be less appealing aesthetically than their lighter peers even though they share the same ancestral roots"

It IS because of their skin color, and what they associate with said skin color. This is exactly what I am speaking about.

Understanding the plights of darker skinned women, what has the light skinned person done to warrant this mistreatment?

How do you think this "resentment" has manifested itself over the last few centuries?

If we are going to discuss colorism in its official capacity, let's also not brush off this issue because it hasn't enjoyed the same level of documentation and attention throughout history.

However all my 28 yrs of life on this earth light skinned blks have always been embraced and accepted ...dark skinned folk not so much

This ? here is so condescending and dismissive.

So light skin people aren't discriminated against?

They get accepted everywhere like MasterCard?

If you say darkskin people face more...I'd agree...but to dismiss discrimination based on skin tone is divisive and delusional as hell
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Peace_79 what thread did u post your wifes picture in bro?
    Trying to get a better understanding of the thread and your points.
  • Peace_79
    edited November 2015
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    @Peace_79 what thread did u post your wifes picture in bro?
    Trying to get a better understanding of the thread and your points.

LMAO. You a fool, bruh.

Consistent tho, I'll give you that.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options

This ? here is so condescending and dismissive.

So light skin people aren't discriminated against?

They get accepted everywhere like MasterCard?

If you say darkskin people face more...I'd agree...but to dismiss discrimination based on skin tone is divisive and delusional as hell

Man it was a little funny i cant lie
    Especially "......thats unfortunate" part lol
    Desertrain said ? u lightskins and your plight
    grumpy-cat-good-2.jpg
  • zzombie
    Options
    Any one talking about how bad white supremacy is and still marrying non-black women is ? delusional. How the ? are we going to fight colorism and white supremacy with you further perpetuating the white is more beautiful paradigm with your very actions.

You don't think all those little black boys and girls are looking at your stupid ass???? even worse the little white girls are looking at you thus feeding their sense of superiority over those little black girls. BUT you ? don't see this and continue to ? over white women but then at the same time want to hate white men. ? IS WRONG WITH YOU

Most white girls are jealous of Asian women the way you think black women feel about them..

btw I can be "pro black" and still be in a interracial relationship... as long as you not bashing another race to try and show yours is "better" there is no reason you can't be "pro black" and have a relationship with another race..

No you have your head up your ass and no ? sleeping with the competition can be taken seriously because at the core of being pro black is the desire to empower black people and you can't do that if you are giving love, attention, and money to a white woman.

If you are ever put in a situation where you have to choose between the interest of your white lover and the interest of a black person odds are you are going to favor the white girl. ? you are compromised.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any one talking about how bad white supremacy is and still marrying non-black women is ? delusional. How the ? are we going to fight colorism and white supremacy with you further perpetuating the white is more beautiful paradigm with your very actions.

You don't think all those little black boys and girls are looking at your stupid ass???? even worse the little white girls are looking at you thus feeding their sense of superiority over those little black girls. BUT you ? don't see this and continue to ? over white women but then at the same time want to hate white men. ? IS WRONG WITH YOU

Most white girls are jealous of Asian women the way you think black women feel about them..

btw I can be "pro black" and still be in a interracial relationship... as long as you not bashing another race to try and show yours is "better" there is no reason you can't be "pro black" and have a relationship with another race..

No you have your head up your ass and no ? sleeping with the competition can be taken seriously because at the core of being pro black is the desire to empower black people and you can't do that if you are giving love, attention, and money to a white woman.

If you are ever put in a situation where you have to choose between the interest of your white lover and the interest of a black person odds are you are going to favor the white girl. ? you are compromised.

gwaf at other races being the "competition"... ? I'm pro black but have dated and smashed chicks of other races... just because I'm not on some "all other races are the devil" ? don't mean I don't understand what it is to be black or don't want to see my people succeed... coming at any situation as an "us vs. them" mentality is only going to keep us where we are... how y'all feel as us being at the bottom of the totem poll...
  • zzombie
    edited November 2015
    Options

gwaf at other races being the "competition"... ? I'm pro black but have dated and smashed chicks of other races... just because I'm not on some "all other races are the devil" ? don't mean I don't understand what it is to be black or don't want to see my people succeed... coming at any situation as an "us vs. them" mentality is only going to keep us where we are... how y'all feel as us being at the bottom of the totem poll...

Never said all other races were the devil but we do live under capitalism therefore they are the competition, so it is us vs them. It's the competitive mentality we need more of but foolishly don't have yet because we have so many brain dead idiots like you. that's why we are at the bottom of the totem pole

You want to see black people succeed so much that your willing to marry a white woman ? you are ? confused.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never said all other races were the devil but we do live under capitalism therefore they are the competition, so it is us vs them. It's the competitive mentality we need more of but foolishly don't have yet because we have so many brain dead idiots like you. that's why we are at the bottom of the totem pole

You want to see black people succeed so much that your willing to marry a white woman ? you are ? confused.

aight muthafucka I didn't call you names so don't come at me like that this ? ain't that serious... you typing on here is not gone change ? just like me doing the same isnt... the funny thing about this whole thing is "smart ? " always try and make it seem like other races have this secret organization that tell them how to live and ? ... "smart ? " are the down fall partly of blacks as a whole because not only are y'all typically hypocrites... you will say all these things that are wrong with us while acting like you are holier than thou..

btw you noticed I never spoke a specific race you brought up the "white woman" I've said I prefer darker women... you ? think being "pro black" mean being anti every other race.. and that is definitely not the case... like I said I can sit here and understand what I means to be a black man... ? I am a ? walking stereotype.. but at the same time I do understand that to be "pro black" does not mean I can't date another woman of a different race...

btw you are right this is a capitalistic society... which would mean money is the issue not race... having a us vs them mentality only weakens you.. because you cut off ties to others... no race in america can completely cut off ties with other races and be self sufficient...
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since we having this discussion does that mean that y'all will stop making black jokes about @dro because I see that alot around here and nobody cares