Options

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    Who's doing the discriminating?

Dark skinned women according to last couple pages.

And what type of discrimination are we talking is another important question.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who's doing the discriminating?

Dark skinned women according to last couple pages.

And what type of discrimination are we talking is another important question.

@Peace_79
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    What I don't hear talked about as often is the discrimination of darker skinned black women against those of fairer complexion. It's essentially a retaliation of black women against their own race for the perceived advantages afforded to black women of a lighter complexion.

My wife, mother and grandmother-in-law have experienced this to varying degrees.

Define discrimination

Discrimination: the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

so how do dark skinned women discriminate against light skinned women, by treating them different?

My grandmother-in-law has been told she is hideous, unfit to procreate, and horrible person and much worse by her own family ... Solely based on the color of her skin

Her older siblings made her cry and sent her into depression ... Solely based on the color of her skin

She was denied employment by black hiring managers because of her fair skin

She sought multiple companions who were the darkest complexion imaginable ... To prevent her children from enduring this discrimination

To this day, my wife has a fraction of the black friends she could ... Because many assumed she thought she was "better than them" ... They called her names and behaved rudely to her because of this

Etc...

In America? Every single older woman in my family passes the brown paper bag test, & I have never heard anything like that. Quite the opposite. Not saying what you're saying is invalid, I've just not been exposed to those experiences...I've seen so much discrimination against dark skinned women though. Everybody has their own experiences....

The thing is, what you are referring to happened two years ago. Does that still happen now here? In your experience that is.

That's why I brought it up. It never gets talked about.

We have been so angry about the discrimination against darker skinned woman in America that we have channeled that hate and forced it on our own race.

Hate begets more hate

you don't think that maybe these incidents aren't talked about because they happen a lot less frequently than the opposite? Or maybe because there's also privilege and being light skinned? I can't see the privilege in being dark skinned in society.

Lol. Hate begets more hate.

Think about what you are saying.

In theory, you are saying it was "okay" ... Or atleast less of an issue... for my grandmother-in-law to be demonized and made to hate herself because of her skin color...

Because by your estimation, darker skinned people have "had it worse".

You realize that your entire justification for the discrimination is fueled by your emotions and your perspective ... Not on the fact that it is morally a wrong thing to do.

Do you see how that is a slippery slope

I am absolutely not saying what your grandmother went through was okay. What I am saying, is that why people don't talk about it more, is there is more privileged in being light skinned.

In my experience with black sororities, I always noticed Alphas were more light-skinned and were viewed as conceited and unapproachable, while Delta's were predominantly darker skinned and were thought to have down to earth personalities.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    It's really not that serious among black men but black women take it to the extreme

You really said that!???

And you ? ass ? cosigned it.

Is there a dark butt term for men? Are there songs talking about light skin ? ? Are women in entertainment putting light skin men instead of dark skin men out on Front Street? Give me a ? break.

why are you looking at entertainment as a sole indication of beauty.... 90 percent of what is shown a "beauty" the average person does not fit.. so to look to that will only bring low self esteem or becoming vain...

think of it like this.. every person who writes a line about a redbone or something look at who they are dating or who they have children with most times they don't fit that mold either... and if they do they are trophy wives... so that's what yall are jealous of? getting by on your look to bag a person who only sees you as something to look good at?

I'm not looking to entertainment for anything personally. I'm not looking to anyone but me as how I should feel about myself personally.

It is a fact though, that women every single day, look for outside sources of validation and when all they see is people ? on them for something they can't control, it affects them negatively. You telling them to look elsewhere isn't going to do ? .

that's why you look into yourself.... you just said that it doesn't effect you like that... if that's the case then other women should be able to do the same... given I do understand that media has a little to do with it... men get bombarded with what it means to be a "real man" as well.. but to feel like you are "less than" because you don't see as many people look like you on tv then you have to take a little responsibility for that.. because logically you know that beauty comes in all colors... shapes.... sizes... ect..

this is coming from a man who pays attention to the positive influences of black women in the media y'all do have darker women and average looking women to look to if that's the true issue... this is with any situation... if you look for negative you will find it... if you look for positive you will find that as well...

Here we go... Because your self esteem isn't up to par like other people, you deserve to be treated like you're not ? right?

Your solution to people who feel like ? because they're told they should, is to not feel like ? . Do you understand how ridiculous that is?

no what I am saying is no one in the media is saying "dark skinned women are ugly or less attractive" but females read into the fact that for every say 10 to 15 white girls there are maybe one or 2 black women on tv they are saying that blacks are less beautiful... well technically we are a lower minority so tv would reflect that.. think about it I'm sure in Japan they are not showing lots of Mexican women in their commercials or tv because their population does not reflect that.. if you look at tv shows that are geared to our demographic we see plenty of different shades of black women... and again like I said if women are looking to rappers for what they think they should look like that says alot about them and they may need a strong woman like you in their lives to show them they are beautiful... because I guarantee 80 percent of black men are not going to not talk to a chick because she dark if she is attractive she is attractive.... women in general shouldn't need validation from anyone to feel self worth...
  • Westie
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    I've never heard the phrase I don't date light skinned women because light skin is ugly. Never not once. Can't say the same for dark skin, but dark skinned ? are the devil I get it.

I've heard lightskin females say they date darkskin males specifically. I don't knock someone preference but to each their own. Skin complexion is never a deciding factor to me and never will be.
    You're right.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Colorism is a much bigger issue than who we choose to be in a relationship with
  • Copper
    Options
    I've never heard the phrase I don't date light skinned women because light skin is ugly. Never not once. Can't say the same for dark skin, but dark skinned ? are the devil I get it.

I have heard women say light skin men aren't attractive though
  • damobb2deep
    Options

lighter skinned guys usually have to "prove" they are tougher than most darker skinned guys do because if you are a lighter guy you are a "pretty boy"
  • Copper
    Options

lighter skinned guys usually have to "prove" they are tougher than most darker skinned guys do because if you are a lighter guy you are a "pretty boy"

That is a stereotype derived from colorism not sure if its a negative thing but it is ignorance

I don't go out of my way to prove anything
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What exactly are light-skinned people supposed to do? Stop being light-skinned?
  • Copper
    edited October 2015
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

That's half of why I asked who's the discriminating coming from.

This discussion has lots of holes in it
  • damobb2deep
    Options

same with being dark... but it's funny because how black women sit there and think "I'm darker so people think I'm less beautiful" when white chicks pay to get darker... which kind of proves my point that if you look for positive thing in the media you will find them as well as negative... those white chicks probably see on tv fake ? and bikinis running around Florida or California with tans and believe " oh that's what's beautiful is so I need to be like that" then they go get tans and ? .. they already feel bad about themselves so they look to the media to validate what life should be like and what's beautiful.. then feel bad if they don't meet that standard.. given because the media has an influence on us all it should understand what it's perpetuating... but still the person at a certain age has to take into account their actions as well...
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »
    Hate to use this term but, "at the end of the day". Everyone gets discrimated for something. Even really rich people get view as out of touch. And not having gone through anything cause they're rich and therefore have no problems. Like people would look at an attractive redbone and dismiss any issue she has cause, "how hard could her life be when shes that beautiful".

Thats just human nature, the great thing is. You ladies, and the men that post their views on this subject. Are enlightened to the point of seeing others strife. So its not all bad. Theres you and millions others that can do the same. Leaving those who cant or wont understand others issues, to be seen as closed minded by more and more people.

If you're not going to take any of this seriously then leave this thread smh.

Lol. @ayebaebae ...woah sista..i was being serious
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Skin tone discrimination olympics in here.
    On your marks, get set, who had it worse.....GO!
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I don't hear talked about as often is the discrimination of darker skinned black women against those of fairer complexion. It's essentially a retaliation of black women against their own race for the perceived advantages afforded to black women of a lighter complexion.

My wife, mother and grandmother-in-law have experienced this to varying degrees.

Define discrimination

Discrimination: the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

so how do dark skinned women discriminate against light skinned women, by treating them different?

My grandmother-in-law has been told she is hideous, unfit to procreate, and horrible person and much worse by her own family ... Solely based on the color of her skin

Her older siblings made her cry and sent her into depression ... Solely based on the color of her skin

She sought multiple companions who were the darkest complexion imaginable ... To prevent her children from enduring this discrimination

To this day, my wife has a fraction of the black friends she could ... Because many assumed she thought she was "better than them" ... They called her names and behaved rudely to her because of this

Etc...

In America? Every single older woman in my family passes the brown paper bag test, & I have never heard anything like that. Quite the opposite. Not saying what you're saying is invalid, I've just not been exposed to those experiences...I've seen so much discrimination against dark skinned women though. Everybody has their own experiences....

The thing is, what you are referring to happened two years ago. Does that still happen now here? In your experience that is.

We have been so angry about the discrimination against darker skinned woman in America that we have channeled that hate and forced it on our own race.

Hate begets more hate

you don't think that maybe these incidents aren't talked about because they happen a lot less frequently than the opposite? Or maybe because there's also privilege and being light skinned? I can't see the privilege in being dark skinned in society.

In theory, you are saying it was "okay" ... Or atleast less of an issue... for my grandmother-in-law to be demonized and made to hate herself because of her skin color...

You realize that your entire justification for the discrimination is fueled by your emotions and your perspective ... Not on the fact that it is morally a wrong thing to do.

I am absolutely not saying what your grandmother went through was okay. What I am saying, is that why people don't talk about it more, is there is more privileged in being light skinned.

In my experience with black sororities, I always noticed Alphas were more light-skinned and were viewed as conceited and unapproachable, while Delta's were predominantly darker skinned and were thought to have down to earth personalities.

Part of the reason my wife isn't a Delta, tho she desired to be one.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

Hate begets more hate

From your perspective...

Do you think that she saw it that way?

My phone is tripping I think I may have posted this twice

But what I think she is alluding to is that there is an extended and significant body of evidence indicating that in the past and today light skinned blks experience a wide range of privileges that darker skinned are not offered ... among them, more forgiveness and shorter sentencing in the justice system and expanded job/education prospects, as well as legacy privileges from earlier eras of colorism

Subsequently some darker skinned blks grow resentful of their lighter peers but it's not because of skin color....

But rather they are not afforded the same opportunities and viewed to be less appealing aesthetically than their lighter peers even though they share the same ancestral roots

Its important to make that distinction because I see a lot of ppl, especially when we talk about how colorism has impacted lighter skinned bills, try to perpetuate this false narrative that darker skinned ppl especially women are the real problem. They are really the ones who continue to perpetuate colorism.... most of the dark skinned women who speak of there being a light skin privilege are jealous, hateful, mean and violent ...etc ...all of which is wrong

I will also agree with @Westie that when I was growing up my lighter skinned peers weren't targeted and were generally accepted as black...

At the end of the day we are all complicit and need to take part in making change
  • Copper
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

Hate begets more hate

From your perspective...

But what I think she is alluding to is that there is an extended and significant body of evidence indicating that in the past and today light skinned blks experience a wide range of privileges that darker skinned are not offered ... among them, more forgiveness and shorter sentencing in the justice system and expanded job/education prospects, as well as legacy privileges from earlier eras of colorism

Subsequently some darker skinned blks grow resentful of their lighter peers but it's not because of skin color....

But rather they are not afforded the same opportunities and viewed to be less appealing aesthetically than their lighter peers even though they share the same ancestral roots

Its important to make that distinction because I see a lot of ppl, especially when we talk about how colorism has impacted lighter skinned bills, try to perpetuate this false narrative that darker skinned ppl especially women are the real problem. They are really the ones who continue to perpetuate colorism.... most of the dark skinned women who speak of there being a light skin privilege are jealous, hateful, mean and violent ...etc ...all of which is wrong

I will also agree with @Westie that when I was growing up my lighter skinned peers weren't targeted and were generally accepted as black...

At the end of the day we are all complicit and need to take part in making change

Who's doing this discriminating?

Also at the 2nd bolded that is true for this generation but the last generation its not for a lot especially in the south.

As a kid I remember numerous family members apologizing to my mother as adults for the way they treated her as a child for being light skin
  • Westie
    Options

The term discrimination started with @Peace_79 . He said that nobody talks about dark skinned women discriminating against light skinned women.
  • Westie
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

Hate begets more hate

From your perspective...

Who's doing this discriminating?

Also at the 2nd bolded that is true for this generation but the last generation its not for a lot especially in the south.

As a kid I remember numerous family members apologizing to my mother as adults for the way they treated her as a child for being light skin

I think maybe this may be a regional thing? My family grew up on the East Coast.

Both of my grandmothers are light skinned, one is half Japanese, and my mother is light skinned. And I'm talking about very fair all with wavy hair.
    I have heard stories here and there about females treating my mother like she thought she was better than them, but that's where it ends. Maybe because most of their family family members were light-skinned as well? I'm just not familiar with that type of vitriol against light skinned people. In my experience that I have witnessed, it has been quite the opposite
  • Westie
    Options
    @ayebaebae I apologize if my posts came off to you as unsympathetic towards your past. I'm sure those issues are very prevelant in your experience.
  • Copper
    Options

The term discrimination started with @Peace_79 . He said that nobody talks about dark skinned women discriminating against light skinned women.

I don't think either necessarily discriminates against the other...I can't think of either stopping the other from doing or achieving something

I think its mostly idiotic ideas and stereotypes one side has against the other

Which I ask what people is the discrimination coming from?
  • Westie
    Options

I don't think either necessarily discriminates against the other...I can't think of either stopping the other from doing or achieving something

I agree. When it comes to discrimination regarding colorism, it's usually happening outside of our race
  • Copper
    Options

I agree. When it comes to discrimination regarding colorism, it's usually happening outside of our race

Finally....

denzel-boom.gif
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Finally....

denzel-boom.gif

I got ask to leave the thread for saying this.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

Idiotic stereotypes CAN stop a person from achieving something... In a myriad of ways. Regardless, there are pockets of fairer skinned people who have experienced discrimination in its purest form from black people of darker complexion.

That's beside the point though. We'll call it "mistreatment" for accuracy's sake.

@desertrain10 alluded to my point in her post. I will disagree with a few pieces, tho

"I will also agree with @Westie that when I was growing up my lighter skinned peers weren't targeted and were generally accepted as black"

This is your experience, it is not fact. It still appears that you are trying to downplay the issue. Several people in this thread have spoken about the fact that it is a real issue.

"Subsequently some darker skinned blks grow resentful of their lighter peers but it's not because of skin color....

But rather they are not afforded the same opportunities and viewed to be less appealing aesthetically than their lighter peers even though they share the same ancestral roots"

It IS because of their skin color, and what they associate with said skin color. This is exactly what I am speaking about.

Understanding the plights of darker skinned women, what has the light skinned person done to warrant this mistreatment?

How do you think this "resentment" has manifested itself over the last few centuries?

My point is that hate begets more hate.

If we are going to discuss colorism in its official capacity, let's also not brush off this issue because it hasn't enjoyed the same level of documentation and attention throughout history.