Options

Comments

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    It's really not that serious among black men but black women take it to the extreme

You really said that!???

And you ? ass ? cosigned it.

Is there a dark butt term for men? Are there songs talking about light skin ? ? Are women in entertainment putting light skin men instead of dark skin men out on Front Street? Give me a ? break.

why are you looking at entertainment as a sole indication of beauty.... 90 percent of what is shown a "beauty" the average person does not fit.. so to look to that will only bring low self esteem or becoming vain...

think of it like this.. every person who writes a line about a redbone or something look at who they are dating or who they have children with most times they don't fit that mold either... and if they do they are trophy wives... so that's what yall are jealous of? getting by on your look to bag a person who only sees you as something to look good at?

I'm not looking to entertainment for anything personally. I'm not looking to anyone but me as how I should feel about myself personally.

It is a fact though, that women every single day, look for outside sources of validation and when all they see is people ? on them for something they can't control, it affects them negatively. You telling them to look elsewhere isn't going to do ? .

that's why you look into yourself.... you just said that it doesn't effect you like that... if that's the case then other women should be able to do the same... given I do understand that media has a little to do with it... men get bombarded with what it means to be a "real man" as well.. but to feel like you are "less than" because you don't see as many people look like you on tv then you have to take a little responsibility for that.. because logically you know that beauty comes in all colors... shapes.... sizes... ect..

this is coming from a man who pays attention to the positive influences of black women in the media y'all do have darker women and average looking women to look to if that's the true issue... this is with any situation... if you look for negative you will find it... if you look for positive you will find that as well...
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, that's the Million dollar question. There's many levels to the issue.. I really don't know how to follow up with a response.. Seems like the issue will never be addressed the way it should though.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    It's really not that serious among black men but black women take it to the extreme

You really said that!???

And you ? ass ? cosigned it.

Is there a dark butt term for men? Are there songs talking about light skin ? ? Are women in entertainment putting light skin men instead of dark skin men out on Front Street? Give me a ? break.

why are you looking at entertainment as a sole indication of beauty.... 90 percent of what is shown a "beauty" the average person does not fit.. so to look to that will only bring low self esteem or becoming vain...

think of it like this.. every person who writes a line about a redbone or something look at who they are dating or who they have children with most times they don't fit that mold either... and if they do they are trophy wives... so that's what yall are jealous of? getting by on your look to bag a person who only sees you as something to look good at?

I'm not looking to entertainment for anything personally. I'm not looking to anyone but me as how I should feel about myself personally.

It is a fact though, that women every single day, look for outside sources of validation and when all they see is people ? on them for something they can't control, it affects them negatively. You telling them to look elsewhere isn't going to do ? .

that's why you look into yourself.... you just said that it doesn't effect you like that... if that's the case then other women should be able to do the same... given I do understand that media has a little to do with it... men get bombarded with what it means to be a "real man" as well.. but to feel like you are "less than" because you don't see as many people look like you on tv then you have to take a little responsibility for that.. because logically you know that beauty comes in all colors... shapes.... sizes... ect..

this is coming from a man who pays attention to the positive influences of black women in the media y'all do have darker women and average looking women to look to if that's the true issue... this is with any situation... if you look for negative you will find it... if you look for positive you will find that as well...

Here we go... Because your self esteem isn't up to par like other people, you deserve to be treated like you're not ? right?

Your solution to people who feel like ? because they're told they should, is to not feel like ? . Do you understand how ridiculous that is?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    What I don't hear talked about as often is the discrimination of darker skinned black women against those of fairer complexion. It's essentially a retaliation of black women against their own race for the perceived advantages afforded to black women of a lighter complexion.

My wife, mother and grandmother-in-law have experienced this to varying degrees.

Define discrimination

Discrimination: the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.
  • Westie
    Options
    What I don't hear talked about as often is the discrimination of darker skinned black women against those of fairer complexion. It's essentially a retaliation of black women against their own race for the perceived advantages afforded to black women of a lighter complexion.

My wife, mother and grandmother-in-law have experienced this to varying degrees.

Define discrimination

Discrimination: the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

so how do dark skinned women discriminate against light skinned women, by treating them different?

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Define discrimination

so how do dark skinned women discriminate against light skinned women, by treating them different?

Lol they dont. ? them light bright ?
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    Options

Define discrimination

My grandmother-in-law has been told she is hideous, unfit to procreate, and horrible person and much worse by her own family ... Solely based on the color of her skin

Her older siblings made her cry and sent her into depression ... Solely based on the color of her skin

She was denied employment by black hiring managers because of her fair skin

She sought multiple companions who were the darkest complexion imaginable ... To prevent her children from enduring this discrimination

To this day, my wife has a fraction of the black friends she could ... Because many assumed she thought she was "better than them" ... They called her names and behaved rudely to her because of this

Etc...
  • Westie
    edited October 2015
    Options

Define discrimination

My grandmother-in-law has been told she is hideous, unfit to procreate, and horrible person and much worse by her own family ... Solely based on the color of her skin

Her older siblings made her cry and sent her into depression ... Solely based on the color of her skin

She sought multiple companions who were the darkest complexion imaginable ... To prevent her children from enduring this discrimination

To this day, my wife has a fraction of the black friends she could ... Because many assumed she thought she was "better than them" ... They called her names and behaved rudely to her because of this

Etc...

In America? Every single older woman in my family passes the brown paper bag test, & I have never heard anything like that. Quite the opposite. Not saying what you're saying is invalid, I've just not been exposed to those experiences...I've seen so much discrimination against dark skinned women though. Everybody has their own experiences....
  • Westie
    edited October 2015
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

Regarding your wife, I'm sorry... Putting a superiority complex on someone doesn't really compare to being called tar baby and ? like that. Not saying that it doesn't affect her at all, but at least she's made to seem beautiful as opposed to ugly and bottom of the barrel.

• goldenja
    edited October 2015
    Options
    We even seperate ourselves in classes. A good amount the brothas & sistas that live in the suburbs don't understand the living/lifestyles of the brothas and sistas in the ghetto, and vice versa. So, instead of trying to understand and gain knowledge of how others live. We talk negatively, we think we're better than one another. It isn't just a color thing either.
  • goldenja
    Options
    I feel there's a scary lack of sympathy & empathy in today's black community.
  • Westie
    edited October 2015
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

In America? Every single older woman in my family passes the brown paper bag test, & I have never heard anything like that. Quite the opposite. Not saying what you're saying is invalid, I've just not been exposed to those experiences...I've seen so much discrimination against dark skinned women though. Everybody has their own experiences....

The thing is, what you are referring to happened two years ago. Does that still happen now here? In your experience that is.

That's why I brought it up. It never gets talked about.

We have been so angry about the discrimination against darker skinned woman in America that we have channeled that hate and forced it on our own race.

Hate begets more hate

you don't think that maybe these incidents aren't talked about because they happen a lot less frequently than the opposite? Or maybe because there's also privilege and being light skinned? I can't see the privilege in being dark skinned in society.

Hate is a strong word. Like I said, I think in another post, i have had really dark skin friends who were treated like s*** in school. I mean really, really, badly. They had light skinned friends, I'm not light skinned and they have never said really evil things about light skinned girls. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I think jealousy is more prevalent than actual hatred.
  • Peace_79
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

Regarding your wife, I'm sorry... Putting a superiority complex on someone doesn't really compare to being called tar baby and ? like that. Not saying that it doesn't affect her at all, but at least she's made to seem beautiful as opposed to ugly and bottom of the barrel.

My wife's fine. Like I said, She just has fewer black friends because they have this perception of her.

It may also have to do with how she speaks and the attention she has gotten in public. But it is still a maninfestation of discrimination; if less severe than others.

Thank you
  • goldenja
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ? has been the forefront instead of love (in the spiritual essence)
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

The thing is, what you are referring to happened two years ago. Does that still happen now here? In your experience that is.

We have been so angry about the discrimination against darker skinned woman in America that we have channeled that hate and forced it on our own race.

Hate begets more hate

you don't think that maybe these incidents aren't talked about because they happen a lot less frequently than the opposite? Or maybe because there's also privilege and being light skinned? I can't see the privilege in being dark skinned in society.

Lol. Hate begets more hate.

Think about what you are saying.

In theory, you are saying it was "okay" ... Or atleast less of an issue... for my grandmother-in-law to be demonized and made to hate herself because of her skin color...

Because by your estimation, darker skinned people have "had it worse".

You realize that your entire justification for the discrimination is fueled by your emotions and your perspective ... Instead of the whether it is a morally right or wrong thing to do.

Do you see how that is a slippery slope
  • Westie
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

Hate begets more hate

In theory, you are saying it was "okay" ... Or atleast less of an issue... for my grandmother-in-law to be demonized and made to hate herself because of her skin color...

You realize that your entire justification for the discrimination is fueled by your emotions and your perspective ... Not on the fact that it is morally a wrong thing to do.

I am absolutely not saying what your grandmother went through was okay. What I am saying, is that why people don't talk about it more, is there is more privileged in being light skinned.
  • Peace_79
    Options

Define discrimination

Etc...

Hate begets more hate

You realize that your entire justification for the discrimination is fueled by your emotions and your perspective ... Not on the fact that it is morally a wrong thing to do.

I am absolutely not saying what your grandmother went through was okay. What I am saying, is that why people don't talk about it more, is there is more privileged in being light skinned.

From your perspective...

Do you think that she saw it that way?
  • Westie
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Peace_79 I am actually coming at this from a perspective that I have never been treated poorly by other black people because of my complexion. I am not dark skinned nor am I light skinned. So please don't patronize me as if I'm emotional because of my skin color.

What I have witnessed has been that dark skinned women have been treated very ? , whereas light skinned women can be treated as if they are stuck up.

The only way I would be emotional about this subject, is that I am a woman, & I understand how looks affect self esteem and the way people treat you.
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Westie you don't think dark skinned black people who have discriminated against fairer skin black people are not fueled by hate?

You dont think they are redirecting the hate they have experienced from whites/society and applying it towards the representation of that in their own race - Fair skinned black people?

How do you know how prevalent this phenomenon is in America/ American history?
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Were you abused as a child, scared to smile, they called you ugly? "
  • Peace_79
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »

Define discrimination

I'd like to start off by saying that I have absolutely nothing against my darkskinned sisters & I don't believe all of them are this way.

Basically as a young girl I knew I was black, that's all I knew. It wasn't until middle school that my blackness was questioned. As soon as I got to middle school I was told that I was lightskinned & I was asked what was I mixed with. I never had an answer to that question & didn't really get what was fully going on. That's basically when I started to look at black ppl in a different way. Before I would group black folks together & after those experiences I started to see lightskin, brown skin, dark skin, etc.
    When I hung with the black girls/guys in school they would ask why I talked so "white" or why my skin was so light. Whenever I wore my hair natural they would say how come you didn't press your hair it looks pretty that way. They would tell me I couldn't possibly be black because of my appearance. Even mixed kids would look at my me strangely & question whether I was fully black or not. It hurts when your own people tell you to your face that you're not black.

It took a toll on me because I would try to figure out ways to prove that I was black so that I would be able to fit in with the black kids.

That's just my personal experience though.

This
  • Westie
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »

Define discrimination

I'd like to start off by saying that I have absolutely nothing against my darkskinned sisters/ brothers & I don't believe all of them are this way.

Basically as a young girl I knew I was black, that's all I knew. It wasn't until middle school that my blackness was questioned. As soon as I got to middle school I was told that I was lightskinned & I was asked what was I mixed with. I never had an answer to that question & didn't really get what was fully going on. That's basically when I started to look at black ppl in a different way. Before I would group black folks together & after those experiences I started to see lightskin, brown skin, dark skin, etc.
    When I hung with the black girls/guys in school they would ask why I talked so "white" or why my skin was so light. Whenever I wore my hair natural they would say how come you didn't press your hair it looks pretty that way. They would tell me I couldn't possibly be black because of my appearance. Even mixed kids would look at my me strangely & question whether I was fully black or not. It hurts when your own people tell you to your face that you're not black.

It took a toll on me because I would try to figure out ways to prove that I was black so that I would be able to fit in with the black kids.

That's just my personal experience though.

I had that you talk like a white girl ? in high school too, and I'm not light skinned. That has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying that you were not affected negatively. The thing with not feeling black enough, it's much different then not feeling pretty enough for a woman you don't think so?