IC Discussion: Colorism in the black community

Options

Comments

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Purr wrote: »
    Referencing colorism without doing your own research, is ? lazy to me. Why speak on a topic without actually understanding it without your own bias views?

Plus, not even explain where the term comes from; which is by Alice Walker, a critically acclaimed literary and critical theory writer, best known for the bluest eye and the color purple, a black woman who grew tired of the divisiveness in the black community due to the generational conditioning of colorism.

The access of whiteness is what most people of color want to achieve, where "race mixing" is prevalent to erase the blackness from one's familial pod (e.g, pod means group).

This is not solely an issue within the black community; however, it is the most visible issue that others can see. The difference of preferential treatment due to one's skintone is not an anomalous situation, where these issues are place as an outlier on a tangent; this thread perterbs me because you have previously stated that you don't see color, yet your light skin tones does give you preferential treatment that you blindly do not recognize, which is a problematic process of whiteness and it's colorblind utopia through its invisibility of not seeing an issue because these things of colorism do not matter to them; however, silently it does matter to white people because then they would have to admit to their participation in white supremacy, which in essence you are too by reiterating colorblindness.

Maybe it is because you are young and you don't fully understand these issues, but there is no excuse to be ignorant of others and their experiences, due to the access of education at the tip of your fingers (e.g, the Internet).

Toni Morrison wrote the bluest eye.. and again it is known that colorism does exist but within the black community and every community for that matter... but you have to believe in What is said for it will be able to work... for you to be effected by it you have to look outside of your race for beauty tips.. because if you look with in your race you see that people of your color think all shades are beautiful...
  • ShottaDaBeast
    ShottaDaBeast Members Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn thread was made fr. I'll catch up on the readings after the gym.
  • ShottaDaBeast
    ShottaDaBeast Members Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn thread was made fr. I'll catch up on the readings after the gym.

? that... To many Titangraphs
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What I don't hear talked about as often is the discrimination of darker skinned black women against those of fairer complexion. It's essentially a retaliation of black women against their own race for the perceived advantages afforded to black women of a lighter complexion.

My wife, mother and grandmother-in-law have experienced this to varying degrees.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    funny me and my ? was jus laughin..
    he's light skinned and im dark..
    but we act the opposite..

ud swear he was the ? and i was the light skinned ? ..

i dont think its as bad as it used to be.. my mom was born in the late 60s and grew up in the 70s.. she got treated like ? for bein lightskinned.. she still has conditions behind that ? ..

maybe its more prevalent in the south..
    cause out here people aint really givin a ? about ur tone..

i dont mess wit darker girls for fiscal reasons..
    but i think they're beautiful..

My mother was always very pro black and she is high yellow. The stories ive heard against her skin tone were rooted in jealousy. The one thing that she instilled in me through my childhood and the thing I instill in my daughters is that their brown skin is beautiful. Its a daily task telling all young black girls they are good enough and beautiful enough in this eurocentric world.

I have very dark skinned friends who went through hell as a child. Yeah, I've known some light skin girls who have caught attitudes because people think they think they're "too good" etc, but the torment my dark-skinned friends have gone through seems so much worse. The light skin people being treated like their better/think they're better, is different than being treated like you're ugly all your life because of the skin tone.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it all comes down to ego.
  • Westie
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    What I don't hear talked about as often is the discrimination of darker skinned black women against those of fairer complexion. It's essentially a retaliation of black women against their own race for the perceived advantages afforded to black women of a lighter complexion.

My wife, mother and grandmother-in-law have experienced this to varying degrees.

Define discrimination
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    I don't date dark butts period

Go listen to the fugees n write a poem bout it ?

Many guys on the IC think this way, yet a lot of people deny it... Including t/s.

Apparently the only people who are "woke" regarding the issues of colorism on this forum is our queen @purr, @ShottaDaBeast and I.

Max is a Mexican so his opinion is null and void on this issue.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Any one talking about how bad white supremacy is and still marrying non-black women is ? delusional. How the ? are we going to fight colorism and white supremacy with you further perpetuating the white is more beautiful paradigm with your very actions.

You don't think all those little black boys and girls are looking at your stupid ass???? even worse the little white girls are looking at you thus feeding their sense of superiority over those little black girls. BUT you ? don't see this and continue to ? over white women but then at the same time want to hate white men. ? IS WRONG WITH YOU

The reason why is that you can't tell a man he has to stay single or marry a woman that is not his type if the alternative is to marry white. That is too much to ask of a man. That's the bottom line. But I agree with you that IR marriages do have some bad consequences.

It's not too much to ask you ? other cultures do it all the ? time, the black race is one of the largest most varied on the planet we have all types under our banner. There is no excuse. If a black person simply perfers an outsider then that's fine but there should be consequences for that ? like no one taking them serious when they talk about colorism and white supremacy.

If you are with a white person anything you say in opposition to white supremacy has to be seen with a side eye because you are compromised.
  • Westie
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »

Ego? Or being ? on throughout childhood and having a form of trauma from that? Or having subtle clues instilled in you that black=bad and ugly. It's a deep rooted issue.
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    It's really not that serious among black men but black women take it to the extreme

You really said that!???

And you ? ass ? cosigned it.

Is there a dark butt term for men? Are there songs talking about light skin ? ? Are women in entertainment putting light skin men instead of dark skin men out on Front Street? Give me a ? break.

As a black man i can tell you we really don't get very offended by skin color jokes we don't for the most part take it serious because men unlike women don't have sooo much of our self esteem rolled up in looks.

• zzombie
    Options

Ego? Or being ? on throughout childhood and having a form of trauma from that? Or having subtle clues instilled in you that black=bad and ugly. It's a deep rooted issue.

WOMEN/females suffer greater internal issues from the medias portrayals of white beauty standards i don't think anyone will say otherwise. However the fact still remains that the vast majority of black men don't give a ? about how light or dark another man is it's all just jokes to most of us.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Any one talking about how bad white supremacy is and still marrying non-black women is ? delusional. How the ? are we going to fight colorism and white supremacy with you further perpetuating the white is more beautiful paradigm with your very actions.

You don't think all those little black boys and girls are looking at your stupid ass???? even worse the little white girls are looking at you thus feeding their sense of superiority over those little black girls. BUT you ? don't see this and continue to ? over white women but then at the same time want to hate white men. ? IS WRONG WITH YOU

The reason why is that you can't tell a man he has to stay single or marry a woman that is not his type if the alternative is to marry white. That is too much to ask of a man. That's the bottom line. But I agree with you that IR marriages do have some bad consequences.

It's not too much to ask you ? other cultures do it all the ? time, the black race is one of the largest most varied on the planet we have all types under our banner. There is no excuse. If a black person simply perfers an outsider then that's fine but there should be consequences for that ? like no one taking them serious when they talk about colorism and white supremacy.

If you are with a white person anything you say in opposition to white supremacy has to be seen with a side eye because you are compromised.

I personally am not compromised. If I were to marry a white woman, she would know my views on race, including what I am saying in this thread.

Look at it this way. I am on Tinder. The way it works is that you can't message a woman unless she likes you back. I have liked a good number of black women, though of course the vast majority of women on there aren't black. But I rarely get black matches. So am I supposed to just hold out and wait for black matches? ? outta here b.

On top of that, some people aren't compatible with a lot of different people, or they are just "out of sync" with most blacks in therms of the beliefs or interests, in the sense that I have explained before. So to ask people like that to only date/marry other blacks may be asking quite a lot of them.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's really not that serious among black men but black women take it to the extreme

You really said that!???

Is there a dark butt term for men? Are there songs talking about light skin ? ? Are women in entertainment putting light skin men instead of dark skin men out on Front Street? Give me a ? break.

why are you looking at entertainment as a sole indication of beauty.... 90 percent of what is shown a "beauty" the average person does not fit.. so to look to that will only bring low self esteem or becoming vain...

think of it like this.. every person who writes a line about a redbone or something look at who they are dating or who they have children with most times they don't fit that mold either... and if they do they are trophy wives... so that's what yall are jealous of? getting by on your look to bag a person who only sees you as something to look good at?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I never seen it growing up but I understood that the issue exists, they subconsciously put images out there to tell you that lighter skin in the right skin.
  • zzombie
    Options

I personally am not compromised. If I were to marry a white woman, she would know my views on race, including what I am saying in this thread.

Look at it this way. I am on Tinder. The way it works is that you can't message a woman unless she likes you back. I have liked a good number of black women, though of course the vast majority of women on there aren't black. But I rarely get black matches. So am I supposed to just hold out and wait for black matches? ? outta here b.

On top of that, some people aren't compatible with a lot of different people, or they are just "out of sync" with most blacks in therms of the beliefs or interests, in the sense that I have explained before. So to ask people like that to only date/marry other blacks may be asking quite a lot of them.

If your views on race allow you to marry a white woman you are compromised.

first of all why on earth are you on tinder when you know full well black women are a extreme minority there???? What you should be doing if you really want a black woman is actively seeking them in real life. If you live mostly around whites get out travel meet people there are millions of black women just waiting for you many of the sisters of all types are lonely.
  • Westie
    Options

You really said that!???

As a black man i can tell you we really don't get very offended by skin color jokes we don't for the most part take it serious because men unlike women don't have sooo much of our self esteem rolled up in looks.

I didn't say black men were victims of colorism as much as women. Women are inundated with cues of whats beautiful every single day. Why do you think women's self esteem is rolled into their looks? Who do you think is the perpetrator of colorism in most cases barring white people? How many black men prefer light skinned women? My daddy included so don't go there with me as if its a fallacy.

The way you made that statement, made it seem like its not a big deal and women make a big deal out of it. I hope that wasn't your intention.

It is so problematic when some black men think since its not a problem for them directly, it only affects women, so it doesn't matter to them.
  • Westie
    Options

You really said that!???

why are you looking at entertainment as a sole indication of beauty.... 90 percent of what is shown a "beauty" the average person does not fit.. so to look to that will only bring low self esteem or becoming vain...

think of it like this.. every person who writes a line about a redbone or something look at who they are dating or who they have children with most times they don't fit that mold either... and if they do they are trophy wives... so that's what yall are jealous of? getting by on your look to bag a person who only sees you as something to look good at?

I'm not looking to entertainment for anything personally. I'm not looking to anyone but me as how I should feel about myself personally.

It is a fact though, that women every single day, look for outside sources of validation and when all they see is people ? on them for something they can't control, it affects them negatively. You telling them to look elsewhere isn't going to do ? .
  • Westie
    Options

WOMEN/females suffer greater internal issues from the medias portrayals of white beauty standards i don't think anyone will say otherwise. However the fact still remains that the vast majority of black men don't give a ? about how light or dark another man is it's all just jokes to most of us.

I agree with you. I wasn't saying black men suffer internal emotional issues more than black women at all, misunderstood your original post.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Purr wrote: »
    Referencing colorism without doing your own research, is ? lazy to me. Why speak on a topic without actually understanding it without your own bias views?

Plus, not even explain where the term comes from; which is by Alice Walker, a critically acclaimed literary and critical theory writer, best known for the bluest eye and the color purple, a black woman who grew tired of the divisiveness in the black community due to the generational conditioning of colorism.

The access of whiteness is what most people of color want to achieve, where "race mixing" is prevalent to erase the blackness from one's familial pod (e.g, pod means group).

This is not solely an issue within the black community; however, it is the most visible issue that others can see. The difference of preferential treatment due to one's skintone is not an anomalous situation, where these issues are place as an outlier on a tangent; this thread perterbs me because you have previously stated that you don't see color, yet your light skin tones does give you preferential treatment that you blindly do not recognize, which is a problematic process of whiteness and it's colorblind utopia through its invisibility of not seeing an issue because these things of colorism do not matter to them; however, silently it does matter to white people because then they would have to admit to their participation in white supremacy, which in essence you are too by reiterating colorblindness.

Maybe it is because you are young and you don't fully understand these issues, but there is no excuse to be ignorant of others and their experiences, due to the access of education at the tip of your fingers (e.g, the Internet).

Toni Morrison wrote the bluest eye.. and again it is known that colorism does exist but within the black community and every community for that matter you have to believe in the What is said is the only way it will be able to work... for you to be effected by it you have to look outside of your race for beauty tips.. because if you look with in your race you see that people of your color think all shades are beautiful...

Look im hungover so ? you.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Westie

EGO

noun, plural egos.
    the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.
    Psychoanalysis. the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.
    egotism; conceit; self-importance:
    Her ego becomes more unbearable each day.
    self-esteem or self-image; feelings:
    Your criticism wounded his ego.
  • Westie
    Options
    @Westie

EGO

noun, plural egos.
    the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.
    Psychoanalysis. the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.
    egotism; conceit; self-importance:
    Her ego becomes more unbearable each day.
    self-esteem or self-image; feelings:
    Your criticism wounded his ego.

Yeah I know what ego means, I took a few psychology classes myself.

Yes outside influences affect the ego, but only focusing on the ego itself isn't really delving into why these issues present themselves.