Cam Newton for MVP? The madness has to stop...

Options

Comments

• bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    And you're still on watch for that weak completion percentage argument you made comparing 2015 to 1990 or whenever it was. Worst..argument...ever.
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And you're still on watch for that weak completion percentage argument you made comparing 2015 to 1990 or whenever it was. Worst..argument...ever.

Man I've been sonning you all thread. I could be typing blindfolded and still be giving you the ether.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Is cam a mvp candidate yet?

He damn sure balled out today. With what he did this week, and Brady's bad pick this week, I'll definitely say it's closer than it was last week. Props to him.

So where do AP fall into this race now?

His own team is taking him out the race. My original point with him was when he doesn't get touches they lose. They gave him 8 carries today.

I hate when people make arguments like this

He didnt get touches because they got blown out

Not to be confused with what you're implying, which is that they got blown out because he didnt get touches
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    They ended up getting blown out, and that took away touches. They panicked and abandoned him earlier than necessary though IMO. Not saying they would have won of he had 25 carries, but saying it's hard to produce with 8 carries
  • bow to royalty
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Naw, you just got gassed up by people with similar opinions on Cam. For example.
    804 wrote: »
    Let's talk about dropped ? , and how Carolina has the 4th highest percentage in the league, and that's while ranking 30th in pass attempts. If those 17 drops are converted his completion percentage would be 62%. And above all else when considering Cam for MVP, his team has no losses, 11 weeks into the season. I hope he does win, just so you can stay salty.

In Brady vs Newton you bring up Panthers drops in Cam's defense, but the Pats have a higher drop rate, so isn't that a point for Brady? That doesn't make sense.

You bring up them being 30th in pass attempts like it emphasizes their drops. Percentages are based on total attempts, so that doesn't matter. It's like saying his completion percentage is low because his attempts are low. That doesn't make sense.

Then saying if ALL drops become completions (just for Cam) he would have an average completion percentage. Wow...

But people gassed up the comment, so it has to be good right?
  • bow to royalty
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Then there's this. Find me any real football head in here that isn't just nut hugging Cam that thinks you can compare 2015 completion percentages to late 80's/early 90's percentages apples-to-apples. PLEASE find someone that doesn't think this is ridiculous. But hey people gassed out up...it must make sense...
    R.D. wrote: »
    Cam > Brady in the MVP race.

Right now.

It's simple. The award goes to the best QB on the best team these days, unless the QB is just a game manager. Cam is doing his thing.

I hear you, and that does look like the patten. But all those QB's had great seasons. We're talking about a QB whose weakness this year is passing. We're talking MVP not Heisman

Passing is not his weakness, it's the teams' if it's even a weakness and sit on that same point w/o mentioning his receiver core...you just seem like a hater

And despite this "weakness", they still put up points, still undefeated

Receivers are a cop out to me kinda.
    His career completion percentage is 59
    last year it was 58
    this year its 57.

Why are we acting like we're seeing some crazy drop in play? And have you read? I've mentioned his receivers.
    R.D. wrote: »
    They're a rushing team and he drives the rushing attack behind a team averaging the 3rd most points in league

Cam's 39 rushing yards a game is driving the rushing attack? He does find the end zone though. No doubt about that.

Tom Brady is the QB of a passing team, and drives the passing attack for the team averaging the 2nd most points in the league. He also finds the end zone, and more than Cam so far. While coughing up the ball less. And also throwing to an unimpressive group of WR's (Like Cam is).

Lol you don't know how you feel. How is it a cop out for Cam, but you said the same thing about every receiver on the Patriots except Gronk? If Steve McNair can win an mvp with his numbers from '03, then Cam's numbers more than validate his candidacy. Montana's numbers in '90 aren't great. John Elway won a mvp completing 54% of his passes, 19 tds and 12 pics. You really need to do a little more research before you jump to conclusions bruh.

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brady out here losing games

Cam out here winning games.

Their defense both allow the same amount of points a game

Cam for MVP
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Naw, you just got gassed up by people with similar opinions on Cam. For example.
    Let's talk about dropped ? , and how Carolina has the 4th highest percentage in the league, and that's while ranking 30th in pass attempts. If those 17 drops are converted his completion percentage would be 62%. And above all else when considering Cam for MVP, his team has no losses, 11 weeks into the season. I hope he does win, just so you can stay salty.

In Brady vs Newton you bring up Panthers drops in Cam's defense, but the Pats have a higher drop rate, so isn't that a point for Brady? That doesn't make sense.

You bring up them being 30th in pass attempts like it emphasizes their drops. Percentages are based on total attempts, so that doesn't matter. It's like saying his completion percentage is low because his attempts are low. That doesn't make sense.

Then saying if ALL drops become completions (just for Cam) he would have an average completion percentage. Wow...

But people gassed up the comment, so it has to be good right?

You're just not comprehending the point I'm making, but that's ok, because I'll explain to you a little bit better.

Firstly, when I posted this, Carolina's drop percentage was higher, so miss me with that.

Now if you're 30th in pass attempts, that means you have to maximize your oppurtunities, because they will not present themselves often. When you pass the ball as often as say, New England, those mistakes may not prove as costly, especially since the patriots passing game is based on quick intermediate routes relying on YAC, compared to Carolina's vertical, play action passing game. I didn't see the Pats game, so I can't speak on the drops last week, but typically receivers in New England aren't dropping ? on 20+ and 40+ yard pass plays., and I say this because there have been numerous dropped ? on explosive and scoring plays for the Panthers, I watch there games, so I know.

You keep bringing up the comparison to previous mvp numbers. Ok, the league is a little different than it was then. But when Elway won his mvp 16 quarterbacks had a better completion percentage than him, and most by at least 4 points. Rules have changed, but that doesn't explain the league's MVP having a completion percentage behind 16 other guys. Joe Montana had 12 more touchdown passes than Elway that year and only 1 more interception, why didn't he win the MVP?

You also said Montana's mvp numbers in 91 were better than the 1990 numbers I was referencing when he won MVP, but what does his MVP numbers in that year have to do with what I was saying? Nothing, it was just you reaching, like you claimed I've been doing, but really I'm not. You know why? Because it really isn't an anomaly for a player to win the award without spectacular numbers.

You used the word traditionally in an earlier post when describing the criteria for winning the mvp, but tradition does not begin in 2000, or whenever the completion percentage began to increase, and rule changes in the passing game began. I don't see how it's not fair to evaluate prospective mvps against the performance of previous MVPs. Besides, you make it seem like they were playing with leather helmets during the mvp seasons I used, foh. They're still using the Packers sweep, but I can't compare 87 and 90??? Smh

I can give a ? less about anybody clicking any emotional response on my posts in regards to me sonning you, but clearly you care since you're bringing it up. Look, you said a lot of things earlier in this thread, that were proven to be misguided after the game on Sunday, take your L like a man, and hang your hat on Tom Brady's completion percentage.
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sTaY_TrUe wrote: »
    what silly ass ? made this thread. Cam getting that MVP

Black Excellence

And they can stay mad
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cam is accuracy is his only "weakness".. he should still win MVP.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Cam for MVP

The records part is true, but man we've already been over the defense. The Panthers are first in the league in TO's with 29, Pats are 19th with 16. Panthers defense has 4 TD's to Pats 0. They give up about the same amount of points, but if one is taking the ball away much more, and scoring for you, then that's the better defense.
  • fightforolddc
    Options

Cam for MVP

The records part is true, but man we've already been over the defense. The Panthers are first in the league in TO's with 29, Pats are 19th with 16. Panthers defense has 4 TD's to Pats 0. They give up about the same amount of points, but if one is taking the ball away much more, and scoring for you, then that's the better defense.

Bruh, Cam is MVP right now. Ain't no argument the other way.
  • Shizlansky
    Options

Cam for MVP

Who cares bruh.

They give up the same amount of points per game
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cam Newton for MVP is legit why people entertaining this clown?
  • bow to royalty
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • bow to royalty
    edited December 2015
    Options

Cam for MVP

Bruh, Cam is MVP right now. Ain't no argument the other way.

I said he's MVP right now. What was your point?
  • bow to royalty
    Options

Cam for MVP

Who cares bruh.

^^ this is stupid
  • Shizlansky
    Options

Cam for MVP

Who cares bruh.

^^ this is stupid

I went a lil far with that

But the patriots defense is just as good or maybe better because BB can gameplan for a team better then any coach.
  • fightforolddc
    Options

Cam for MVP

Who cares bruh.

^^ this is stupid

But the patriots defense is just as good or maybe better because BB can gameplan for a team better then any coach.

Now this part is false.

Patriots defense has been gashed over the years and was all reputation. 2011 their defense was pure trash and they went to the Super Bowl.

I've seen em this year and they're aight. Panthers defense has a bunch of studs.
  • Shizlansky
    Options

Cam for MVP

Who cares bruh.

^^ this is stupid

Now this part is false.

Patriots defense has been gashed over the years and was all reputation. 2011 their defense was pure trash and they went to the Super Bowl.

I've seen em this year and they're aight. Panthers defense has a bunch of studs.

Wrong
  • bow to royalty
    edited December 2015
    Options

Cam for MVP

Who cares bruh.

^^ this is stupid

The Panthers defense is clearly better. Pats aren't scrubs on D or anything, but they aren't what the Panthers are. Bill is an amazing coach, but that doesn't mean his team always has the best defense in the league.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Patriots defense is not that good. Denver got the best defense in the league, Patriots not even top 10, although maybe statistically they are
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Patriots defense is not that good. Denver got the best defense in the league, Patriots not even top 10, although maybe statistically they are

Shut the ? up bruh smh
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, just seeing this thread. Cam for MVP, no doubt. People looking at him based on traditional measures of a quarterback. He's not the white guy that can't move so he stays in the pocket. This dude is relied on to use his legs to get first downs and touchdowns. He kills it in the 4th quarter when it matters. He's throwing to people that drop perfectly thrown 40 yard bombs and still winning. He's creating an aura and traditions for a team that didn't have them before. He's bringing tons of new fans to the Panthers and making others respect the team. He's making the game fun and exciting. He's starting a revolution that hasn't been seen in a long time. He's the black quarterback all prior black quarterbacks were supposed to be.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Without Cam, the Panthers would be Dallas.