The OTTB Wrestling News thread

Options

Comments

• m. inferno
    m. inferno Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The Young Bucks recently spoke about their career, here are the highlights…

On Leaving TNA: There were many different situations that pretty much made us decide (to leave). The Ultimate factor was we were not being used as much as we would have liked and for about a month, we were sitting at home and our contracts were pretty much per date so we were pretty much sitting at home making not money. It was hurting us, (Matt) is having a baby soon and I (Nick) have just brought a house so we were literally sitting at home making no money which was hurting us. That and other things like not being used properly; we were split up, which was fine by us because we said "Yeah we're do it" but then they stopped using us. They said they had a whole long couple of month program that me and Matt would do which would actually lead to lockdown in a steel cage match one on one (which )was the original plan but as you know, it didn't happen and it ended up being a six man. There was just so many different things that lead to it like the agents didn't know if we were heel or face during the last few months our run, the writing was on the wall for us. We were like, "Lets go on the indy scene where we can control our dates and actually know how many shows we are going to have a month. In TNA, we never knew how many shows we were gona wrestle during the month so we didn't have a budget. There is just no continuity so the fans don't know what to get behind so there is really nothing to cheer for because they don't know what's going on. They don't know who the baby faces or the heel is so it's really hard for people to get into the product.

On TNA's Lack of Continuity: As soon as someone starts to kinda get over, they are taken off TV. It's so much "stop and go". Its like as soon as someone starts to gain a little steam, you don't see them on TV again: It happened with Nick and I, it happened with Jay Lethal​ a couple of times and It's hard because your like "Give us a chance " because we can get over, We just arnt given the platform or the time to get over. Any time an angle would get a little bit over, it would be called off. I remember we were having a little bit of fun with Tara, that was one thing we were hopeful almost and all of a sudden(with ) no explanation that was done. Mine and Nick's break out was no time given to that. It was hard trying to get any storyline over because there was no time given to you.

On RVD's Comments: There was a bunch of Bull, we always said Hi to him and never had a problem with him. I don't know what he was thinking saying that stuff because we always go out of our way to say Hi to everyone, not only the wrestlers but the camera men, the referees, the bell ringer, everyone that has to do with the show we say Hi to and shake their hands, we show them respect so that ? was a bunch of baloney. What upset me was the picture he tried to paint of the young talent in TNA that we don't go up to people and don't go up to veterans for advice because that's not true. We dress with all X Division guys in the locker and I know for a fact that all our buddies always went to the veterans for advice and if we seeked advice, we went to certain guys we were conferrable with. If we weren't conferrable going to Rob then we weren't but he didn't seem like the most approachable guy in the world to us so we got our advice from other guys.

On Going to WWE: WWE… who knows? Never say Never. I know Nick isn't too thrilled about it because he doesn't like being on the road a lot and I don't either but I'll give that answer; Never say never and Ring Of Honor is such as fit for us, its just our style and we just like producing good wrestling matches, that's what we like doing. Not a lot of places offer tag team wrestling and Ring Of Honor is the best, We deferentially havnt had our last match in ROH that's for sure.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Crimson injured? Aww ?
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    As reported Tuesday, WWE barred Melina Perez from attending Monday's RAW event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. WWE officials made the decision ban the former Women's Champion from the arena due to their belief that should she have entered the backstage area, there would have been some major drama in response to her being let go by the organization last Friday. The entire company security team was told she was not to be let inside the venue. Management has taken Perez' reaction to being released as over the top, according to one source, to the point that she may have burned the bridge in regard to a future return.

Perez going on the road with John Morrison over the weekend was also a major point of contention internally. Company officials are very down on Morrison over the situation, feeling it was a massive breach of etiquette. One writer said, "It would be one thing to come visit a few months down the line but to show up at the next shows after being released, it's a complete lack of understanding and respect. It sucks you are fired but you don't come see the boyfriend that dumped you the next day and you don't go to the office to hang out after getting your pink slip. She did that and made eyes roll. There were some worried she was going to physically cause a problem and with John facilitating that by having her there, well, you saw what happened on Raw."

The same source indicated that Morrison's current WWE contract will expire within the next several months. With no long term deal in place and the belief that his loyalty to his longtime girlfriend would supersede his to WWE, it's easy to see why he has been deemphasized.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Arda Ocal (@arda_ocal) and Jimmy Korderas (@jimmykorderas) of Right After Wrestling recently spoke with Zack and Justin, members of the rock band Downstait, who recorded the themes for Miz, Alex Riley and Dolph Ziggler, here are some highlights…

On Dolph Ziggler's Reaction To His Music: "We actually saw Dolph Ziggler backstage once and we asked him 'what's happening?' And he just shook it off like we were fans and then we said, 'hey man, we do your theme song' and he just walked passed us and said 'thanks'. 'I am perfection' is a song we did last September, but they just waited for his character to turn harder before they used it.

On Performing Live For WWE: "We actually spoke to Miz backstage around WrestleMania 27. I told him it would be cool if we could play him out to the ring but he already had the whole entrance set. And Miz said 'it wasn't a heel-thing to have a band play them to the ring'. And I was like what about Motorhead playing Triple H and even the DX band playing Shawn Michaels out to the ring. And he said they would keep that idea in mind for next year."
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ROH sent out the following today…

Ring of Honor officials are excited to announce that they have come to terms with Davey Richards and that the current ROH World Champion has agreed to extend his existing contract.

Richards, who captured the ROH World Title from Eddie Edwards at "Best in the World 2011", has been a part of Ring of Honor since 2006 and, in addition to reigning as the current World Champion, is also a 2-Time ROH World Tag Champion alongside first, Rocky Romero​, and then Edwards.

Ring of Honor is fortunate to have a competitor as gifted as Davey Richards as part of the fold." Said Jim Cornette, "As World Champion, Richards is a fine representative of what ROH is all about, especially as we head into the Sinclair Broadcasting era this weekend in Chicago Ridge!"

Richards is set to defend the ROH World Title against former champion Roderick Strong​ this Saturday night, August 13th
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Brock Lesnar recently spoke about WWE and how it helped his career, here are the highlights…

On Vince McMahon and WWE: "These guys, they just don't have another life. When they go home, they really can't get out of tune with their on-stage persona. There's really no time. I think the biggest thing is there's really no downtime for the human body to recover, and more importantly, for their mind to recover where you're constantly on the road, and in a program where you can't get outside to take an outside look at what's going on — guys resort to all kinds of extracurricular activities."

On what being with WWE has done for his career: "I'm not stupid — without the WWE, the WWE made me a household name and increased my value tenfold before I even pursued the UFC. Could I be where I am today without the WWE? Probably not. Could I be drawing the same numbers that I'm drawing? Probably not. I brought a lot of fans over, a lot of crossover fans that I brought, just from the general public and WWE fans, I believe."
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Edge stated in a new interview promoting his four-episode guest-spot on the Syfy series Haven that he would be appearing at SummerSlam. The former World Heavyweight Champion is scheduled to appear at Summerslam Axxess this weekend, but did not specify whether he would be appearing on the pay-per-view broadcast.

"I basically started shooting Haven directly from Extreme Rules when Christian won the title. So it basically took up the entire summer. I have an appearance at Summerslam and after that it’s some serious outdoor time. Kayaking, mountain biking, stand up paddle boarding, dog hiking, and whatever else I can find before winter hits," Edge told TVDoneWright.com.

When asked if he intends to return to WWE, even in a non-wrestling capacity, he replied, "I'm sure I'll make appearances from time to time like (Shawn Michaels) does. I'm not interested in commentating, but maybe at some point something behind the scenes if it didn't involve the crazy travel. My days of over 200 days a year on the road are over."

The Rated-R Superstar also says has some WWE appearances scheduled in Paris, France to promote a movie he shot last year for WWE Films, Bending the Rules (to be released in January 2012). He adds, "Beyond that I think it's time to find out what retirement is really like and catch the Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam on their current tours."
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Kevin Eck, who writes a pro wrestling blog for The Baltimore Sun, has announced that he is leaving the newspaper organization to become a member of the WWE creative team.

"I can't stress enough how few jobs there are that could get me to entertain the thought of leaving The Sun for even a second. In fact, this opportunity with WWE may be the only one," Eck wrote.

"I think this is an exciting time to be joining WWE, which is currently in the process of altering its creative approach. I've accepted a position that will allow me to contribute from a creative standpoint and also use my skills as a journalist."

At Saturday's WWE Summerslam Axxess event, THQ will release the roster for the WWE '12 video game.

-- Sheamus will be on the Conan O'Brien show on Thursday night.

-- The WWE Night of Champions PPV will take place on October 18th.

-- The WWE Vengeance DVD will be released on November 22nd.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lol these cats gonna give the cold shoulder to the cats that made there music?

Money changes dudes or maybe these guys were never humble
  • VIBE
    edited August 2011
    Options
    "I think this is an exciting time to be joining WWE, which is currently in the process of altering its creative approach. I've accepted a position that will allow me to contribute from a creative standpoint and also use my skills as a journalist."

So they are doing a "change", ? dope. I'm excited to see where they go.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    - ESPN's Michelle Beadle has a new podcast up, discussing Summerslam and her love of CM Punk. You can check that out at http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6848304

-- Brodus Clay defeated All Pro Wrestling talent "Big Country" Jody Kristofferson in a dark match prior to last night's SmackDown! taping in Sacramento, California. More information on Kristofferson is available at http://www.allprowrestling.com/roster/page-two/jody-kristofferson/ His father is Kris Kristofferson, a famous musician and actor.

-- Following a several year hiatus, "The Informer" is once again featured in WWE Magazine. Though the monthly column largely consisted of made-up stories, it would at times correctly predict future storylines. The feature is now branded as "WWE gossip" and appears to be a mashup of kayfabe and legitimate backstage tales. Highlights from the October 2011 edition are as follows:

* "Would a certain A-list Hollywood celeb please stop calling our offices in hopes of landing a Raw guest-star slot? You had your chance already, pal!"

* "I hear a top-level, WWE Hall of Fame-bound Superstar suggested that Natalya use the double sharpshooter at 2010's WWE TLC."

* "During a recent photo shoot, a Superstar demanded that the makeup artist stop touching up the Divas and focus her attention on him!"

* "A source tells us that The Rock isn't the only Attitude Era Superstar planning to step in the ring in 2012. Hint: There's an "E" in his name."
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Vince McMahon stated during last week's WWE investors conference call that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has agreed to work multiple pay-per-view events. Besides the Survivor Series in November, there is talk that Johnson, barring movie commitments, would be on hand for the big three shows next year—Royal Rumble, WrestleMania and SummerSlam. WWE officials are hoping they can squeeze even more appearances out of him.

-- Word is that the CM Punk vs. John Cena match at Sunday’s SummerSlam will be given a lot of time, more than usual. Within WWE, it’s known that this pay-per-view has turned out to be basically a one match show.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The idea of Steve Austin having a role at WrestleMania 28 has been discussed a lot within WWE but those close to the situation say that the odds are against anything big happening, such as Austin wrestling a match. Of course, things can and always do change.

-- Despite previous reports, Mark Caranno has not been moved from WWE talent development to working directly under Triple H.

-- National Geographic will be airing a TV special called Slammed - Inside Indie Wrestling on August 24th. They captured footage from a bunch of promotions, including NWS, EVOLVE and Ring of Honor, and more.

A fan commented to Goldust on Twitter that the TNA Impact Wrestling spoilers for August 18th sounded dreadful. The current WWE agent took a shot at TNA and replied, “it always is.”

-- It was reported yesterday that WWE.com's bio on referee Mike Chioda made mention of deceased wrestler Chris Benoit, who is considered persona non grata within the organization. He recalled November 29, 2004, when he and a fellow official declared contrary decisions in a Triple Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship; Chioda saw Benoit pinned for the three-count while Edge tapped out simultaneously. The Benoit mention has since been removed.

Meanwhile, WWE.com's bio on referee Jack Doan says Benoit's match with Kurt Angle at WrestleMania X-Seven is one of his most memorable moments.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The Rock will be shooting for G.I. Joe 2 this weekend in New Orleans, so it is unlikely he will show up at the Summerslam PPV.

-- The Miami Herald discusses the WrestleReunion events that will coincide with WrestleMania 28 weekend at http://www.miamiherald.com/

-- The Poughkeepsie Journal spoke with Daniel Bryan about Summerslam. When asked about the PPV, he stated that nothing was announced for him but he would like to wrestle Wade Barrett on the show. You can check whole interview at http://blogs.poughkeepsiejournal.com/

-- Dean Garcia sent this one: On the 8/9 edition of ESPN's Pardon the Interruption in the first segment, Bill Simmons hyped up Summerslam. Not only did he mention that Summerslam will be airing this Sunday but he put over the main event and made a prediction that CM Punk will win. You can listen to it at http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6848318
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    For those wondering about what's up with Matt and Jeff Hardy - the Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that TNA want both men to first enter rehab but they have refused.

- Hulk Hogan's daughter Brooke has posed nude for animal activist company PETA, and the "sophisticated" campaign will be unveiled in Miami on Saturday - Hulk's birthday. A rep of Hogan's says:

"The photos at the exhibit are very sophisticated and classy and just give the illusion of nude or the perception of nude, but of course, to get these shots, the shoot itself is fully nude."
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    WWE Superstar Wade Barrett turns 31 years old today.

-- There were a lot of people on the RAW brand sad to see Vladimir Kozlov released because he had a reputation for being the nicest guy.

-- Alex Riley and Kaitlyn will be appearing at the CT Women’s Expo in Hartford, CT on September 10th from 1-4pm.

-- The dark main event after last night’s WWE SmackDown tapings saw Sheamus and Randy Orton defeat Christian and Alberto Del Rio. Mysterio was originally scheduled to team with Orton but didn’t.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    -- As noted before, The Baltimore Sun wrestling writer Kevin Eck has been hired by WWE for the creative team. Eck will be the person that works with Triple H on talent grooming that we have wrote about recently. Word is that Eck will start with WWE the day after SummerSlam.

-- Triple H is serious on introducing new talents through vignettes and promos. It’s also being said that Triple H is interested in reviving the WWE Tag Team division. Word is that they are really starting to recruit tag teams and see if some names are under contract to other promotions.

There has been talk internally about The Briscoe Brothers but they are signed to Ring of Honor. There has also been a lot of talk about TNA’s Beer Money and bringing them in once they are able to get away from TNA.

Regarding the Kings of Wrestling – Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli coming, the talk is that they will indeed be brought in together as a tag team and not singles wrestlers.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Regarding the WWE releases from last week, all those cut will be paid by WWE up until early November and until then, will be under a non-compete clause. They will be allowed to make certain appearances but can’t work with TNA at least until then.

-- As noted a few months back, WWE developmental Diva Maxine was supposed to be called up to the SmackDown! roster with the idea that she would manage Tyson Kidd. After creative plans for Kidd changes, Maxine’s call-up was put on hold.

Aksana recently debuted on SmackDown! and it’s said that she ended up with the main roster spot that was slotted for Maxine. The decision to keep Maxine off the main roster was said to be due to a “breach of etiquette” by her.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    -- A fan wrote to Gail Kim on Twitter and said he thought WWE signed her just to bury the competition after her great run in TNA. Gail responded: “but according 2 them (WWE), there is no competition. And if so,then why care about what happens to talent they don’t use or want anyway?”

Gail also wrote that she likes Triple H but that “Vince McMahon is still in charge.”
  • VIBE
    edited August 2011
    Options
    m. inferno wrote: »
    -- As noted before, The Baltimore Sun wrestling writer Kevin Eck has been hired by WWE for the creative team. Eck will be the person that works with Triple H on talent grooming that we have wrote about recently. Word is that Eck will start with WWE the day after SummerSlam.

-- Triple H is serious on introducing new talents through vignettes and promos. It’s also being said that Triple H is interested in reviving the WWE Tag Team division. Word is that they are really starting to recruit tag teams and see if some names are under contract to other promotions.

There has been talk internally about The Briscoe Brothers but they are signed to Ring of Honor. There has also been a lot of talk about TNA’s Beer Money and bringing them in once they are able to get away from TNA.

Regarding the Kings of Wrestling – Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli coming, the talk is that they will indeed be brought in together as a tag team and not singles wrestlers.

? imagine this, ? would be fantastic, especially if they let them keep their characters/persona and not ? it up
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ESPN kills me with their hate for professional wrestling, yet, they always have their eyes and ears looking out on the product. First, Jim Rome offered Punk a spot on his show so Punk can trash pro wrestling, now this other broad loves Punk for not holding back on the ills of the WWE.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The London riots have effected both WWE and TNA as a Sony warehouse that stored millions of DVD’s stocked for Europe was destroyed by a fire.

-- JBL recently made it clear on his Facebook that he isn’t interested in returning to WWE as a wrestler but when asked if he would consider a role such as manager or announcer, the former Grand Slam Champion said he would be open to it but WWE has not contacted him about a return.

-- The July 4th episode of RAW had 400,000 homes watching on DVR or tape delay, making it the highest percentage ever of homes watching delayed opposed to live with 14.2%. The July 11th RAW had 324,000 homes or 10% and the July 18th RAW had 319,000 homes or 9%.

-- Great news to report is that wrestling legend Paul Orndorff is cancer free after having a major scare earlier this year.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    According to an article by GreenwichTime.com, Linda McMahon has informed the Connecticut Republican party that she is "99.9%" going to run for Joseph Lieberman's soon to be vacates US Senate seat next year.

Sources say that she has hired Corry Bliss to be her campaign manager.

More as we get it.
  • m. inferno
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The latest on women's wrestler Tenille Taylor, who was trained by Lance Storm, coming to WWE is that she will start some time in 2012. She was offered a deal by WWE a while back but had to go through visa issues and then recently underwent surgery on her shoulder.

-- Diva-Dirt reports that the Women Superstars Uncensored promotion is negotiating with Melina and Gail Kim, hoping to get them booked for the November 19th WSU iPPV.

-- The August 5th episode of Haven on SyFy with former WWE Superstar Edge scored a 1.34 cable rating with 1.82 million viewers. Edge’s appearance didn’t help the ratings as the show on July 29th episode scored a 1.47 cable rating with 2 million viewers.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Woman Accuses WWE Star Heath Slater of Attacking Her

- Atlanta police are currently investigating a situation after a female security guard assigned to keep fans away from wrestlers at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Atlanta during WrestleMania 27 weekend claims WWE Superstar Heath Slater assaulted her.

Security guard Corinne Oliver claims Slater thought she was pretty and grabbed her in a chokehold while trying to take her back to his hotel room. Oliver claims she fought to get loose and then later identified Slater as her attacker.

According to WSB-TV, a WWE spokesperson said that the allegations were against Slater personally and not WWE as a company. WSB-TV notes that a "source in the wrestling world" says Slater denied the incident happened and said he was with his fiancee all week.