Rappers That Get A Pass Simply Because They're "Legends"

Options

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    E-40 and he really only a legend because of the time spent behind a microphone. Dude dropped some dope records but the bulk of his career is garbly trash.

The Reason loves to hate on 40.

E Feezy stays on point like nipples. Stays droppin game like a referee with a whistle.

The fact he stays droppin music every year and never quit is because people still support and listen to him since the late 80s

While (no diss. But...) KRS1, kool g rap, big daddy kane, ect couldnt give away record for free if they wanted to now.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    E-40 and he really only a legend because of the time spent behind a microphone. Dude dropped some dope records but the bulk of his career is garbly trash.

E Feezy stays on point like nipples. Stays droppin game like a referee with a whistle.

The fact he stays droppin music every year and never quit is because people still support and listen to him since the late 80s

While (no diss. But...) KRS1, kool g rap, big daddy kane, ect couldnt give away record for free if they wanted to now.

E-40 couldn't give away free tickets to his show in New York or any city on the East Coast. KRS, Kane, Kool G Rap can do shows in New York, England, Paris, Japan. They don't need a new album, they can tour on the strength of their old albums.

Thats not a diss to E-40 but for whatever reason, his music doesn't translate on the right coast.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

E-40 couldn't give away free tickets to his show in New York or any city on the East Coast. KRS, Kane, Kool G Rap can do shows in New York, England, Paris, Japan. They don't need a new album, they can tour on the strength of their old albums.

Thats not a diss to E-40 but for whatever reason, his music doesn't translate on the right coast.

I disagree, the all-stars of hip hop tour, you can get floor seats right in front of the stage for $88 in AC. Theres 11 acts, which comes out to $8 an act. Most of the good sections are still available. We talked about this and how the old cats no matter what coast don't get the audience anymore.

I've seen Styles P in AC open up for Rakim. Once Styles P was done, 3/4's of the place cleared out. I've been to rock the bells which was 2 days long and I paid for tickets, the day before the event I was given 2 more free tickets because they couldn't sell them. Headlined by nas, but no one showed up to see slick rick, big daddy kane, biz markie.

I had tickets to see Nas in a dusty club in Allentown before. He wasn't demanding the big arenas or top dollar for his shows. yet snoop dogg headlined muzikfest in Allentown this year

It's only a select few rappers who could demand high ticket sales based on their past, jayz being one and I'd think an up in smoke 2 tour would also do well. Other than that not really

not dissing you or anyone, because for the right price i'll go to see the old cats, but that's the minority not the norm
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What year were you born?

Don't matter. Been a hip hop head since the 90s. I prolly own more stuff on vinyl/cd's from the 80's than you do.

Just because someone was the first to do something doesn't necessarily mean that they were good at it. Would you call Ice-T a good rapper?

gotta point there
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Theres only one relevant venue on the east, and that's Madison Square garden. And let's keep it funky, its obvious that's not a E-40 hot spot so why even cater to the East?

Y'all ? don't even got Sluricane out there.
  • Turfaholic
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm telling y'all E-40 naysayers don't want that argument with me because ya not educated enough on Uncle Earl.
    giphy.gif
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrJR wrote: »
    Never heard anyone say Ice T was a good rapper until today and if he raps the way he acts I know he sucks but other rappers who suck are majority of the wutang besides ? and ghost all that gibberish kung fu supreme ? been wack you let one of drake them come spitting like the rest of them wu ? he would be laughed out of the game

beware of the reason killer bees
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No one should be hung up about this. It's all personal opinion. Tho in all honestly the majority is gonna say that Ice T, E-40, KRS and other are legends and as far as their lane of hip hop goes they are. All of em and others have left a mark. ? they damn sure did something otherwise this thread wouldn't be made. I don't see anyone really getting a "pass". Not everything they did was the ? and whoever says that is pretty air headed. Just show respect to those who did it before and keep it movin.

I agree that just cuz it was done in the past don't mean it was done better. But it was done and it was ill at the time and it's shaped how things are now for better or worse. Just accept it for what it is.
  • Turfaholic
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • bck145
    Options
    KRS was performing in a tent at rock the bells while e-40 had the big stage.

I'm pretty sure it happened on the east coast too. 5 grand have u ever been to Europe? E 40 can sell out shows. Nobody is paying to see KRS.

Most people outside of new York only know him as the guy who did "whoop whoop, that's the sound of the police"

And that song sucked too.

to grand's defense, ice cube did the small stage at rock the bells when I was there, prodigy and naughty by nature did too....while newer acts like future, 2 chainz, slaughterhouse were on the main stage...I think it's about who has a popular song at the time....funny thing is 2 chainz and future had the smallest audience at the whole show
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Theres only one relevant venue on the east, and that's Madison Square garden. And let's keep it funky, its obvious that's not a E-40 hot spot so why even cater to the East?

Apollo Theatre >>> Madison Square Garden.

I'd like to see E-40 at The Apollo Theatre. He wouldn't last one verse.

I'm pretty sure it happened on the east coast too. 5 grand have u ever been to Europe? E 40 can sell out shows. Nobody is paying to see KRS.

Most people outside of new York only know him as the guy who did "whoop whoop, that's the sound of the police"

No point in arguing with a troll
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KRS is corny, but dude can rap his ass off and has hits.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Apollo Theatre >>> Madison Square Garden.

I'd like to see E-40 at The Apollo Theatre. He wouldn't last one verse.

No point in arguing with a troll

The Apollo theater isn't what it used to be.
    ? ain't black owned no more. Nor does showtime at the Apollo come on. ? is historic but thats like comparing 2015 Ali to 2015 Mayweather
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »

to grand's defense, ice cube did the small stage at rock the bells when I was there, prodigy and naughty by nature did too....while newer acts like future, 2 chainz, slaughterhouse were on the main stage...I think it's about who has a popular song at the time....funny thing is 2 chainz and future had the smallest audience at the whole show

Loool we were at the same show bruh. 2012 right?
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    https://mobile.twitter.com/iamkrsone

Can someone with a twitter @ this wack ass ? so he can defend himself?
  • bck145
    edited December 2015
    Options

maybe? Holmdel new jersey?.....I don't remember krs or e40 though
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    KRS is corny, but dude can rap his ass off and has hits.

Its more than that. He was a leader. He organized the Stop The Violence Movement. He made conscious records when everybody else was bragging about their gold chain. He made concept albums. He tried to kick knowledge. Whether you agree with his politics or not its indisputable that he tried. I haven't heard J Cole's albums but I've heard Kendrick's GKMC and Drake's Take Care album. Those guys don't impress me but between the two I prefer Kendrick.

But none of the new rappers are willing to take a chance and rap about the importance of knowing African History or calling out the police for police brutality or black on black crime. None of those guys are going to organize a Stop The Violence Movement. I understand that being socially conscious and political doesn't always make for good music, but at least KRS tried. Ice T tried. Those guys tried to make a difference and paved the way for other rappers who may have done it better (Ice Cube, 2Pac, Nas, Jay Z).

But think about it, if Dec 31, 1989 is your cut-off point, who are the top 10 rappers?

• MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snoop last good song was thats that ? and R kelly carried the hook after that seem like he was smoking weed outta somebodies ass ? .
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options

Nah San Bernardino
  • bck145
    Options

Nah San Bernardino

I wish, you guys got the good shows, the east coast didn't turn out and a bunch of ppl were taken off the bill