Rappers That Get A Pass Simply Because They're "Legends"

Options

Comments

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DillaDeaf wrote: »
    So ya'll IC ? puttin faith in a ? that uses a Recess character avi who disses Melle Mel and Iceberg simply becasue MidgetsNThaBuilding and @matches malone didn't send that ? @Busta Carmichael his daily nigganudes this morning, so now he wants to throw a OBJ fit?

The next fatherless IC poster dissing my homie Iceberg on my birthday is gettin got by my deaf crew in a drive-by. Say goodbye ya tone-deaf ears you fatherless ? .

found a video of this ? fatherless ? @Busta Carmichael :
    8NjmfKH.gif

Rugrats before your time brah?
  • The Nuisance
    The Nuisance Members Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Also just cuz someone created it dont make them the best at it.

Facts, but pay homage lil ? cuz u wouldn't even have a style or know how to spit if it wasn't for the old heads

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Facts, but pay homage lil ? cuz u wouldn't even have a style or know how to spit if it wasn't for the old heads

It seems like such a simple concept. The new rappers grew up listening to the older rappers.

How difficult is that to understand?

2Pac explained it perfectly in Old School but people who say that 2Pac is The Goat and Me Against The World is the greatest rap album ever act like they don't understand that Pac grew up listening to 80s rap.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I actually look up the Ice-T *shrugs* POWER and OG were dope af IMO and are classics.

Anyways I'd say:

Lupe Fiasco -- not really a legend but he's prolly got the WOAT fans. That dude is clearly the definition of emotional light skin ? and says a lot of pseudo-intellectual ? that he gets a pass for when he should be checked. But dig this, if you denounce Lupe, his fans will say you're simply not intelligent enough to understand his "deep" nh.

Ice Cube -- He didn't write his own rhymes he had ghostwriters from time to time and his latter albums weren't meh af. He gets a pass tho b/c he's a legend. ? will say Drake can NEVER be a GOAT one day b/c of the ghostwritten ? but Eazy-E, Kanye and Cube can't be spoken ill of for the same crime ? Ha !!!

Kanye West -- He says A LOT of ? that he deserves to be checked for and he whines like a ? but he has yes men around him so NO ONE ever tells him to ? SMMFH. I'm surprised Kanye West made it this far without ever engaging in beefs or being called out for being a big whiny ? .

Wait a minute, who wrote for cube?
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

It seems like such a simple concept. The new rappers grew up listening to the older rappers.

How difficult is that to understand?

2Pac explained it perfectly in Old School but people who say that 2Pac is The Goat and Me Against The World is the greatest rap album ever act like they don't understand that Pac grew up listening to 80s rap.

I don't know what you're talking about. I just gave you my top old school rapper list several times. I ? with the old school and golden era more than I do with the new school.

Which is why I said that there were a few bad apples in the bunch. And I named the ones that I thought were wack.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But to answer the thread, KRS I was never a fan of dude feel a lot of his music is dated and he didn't really influence that many rappers IMO, I always preferred chuck d over him
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    But to answer the thread, KRS I was never a fan of dude feel a lot of his music is dated and he didn't really influence that many rappers IMO, I always preferred chuck d over him

This
    He didn't come up with a style that people ran with (Rakim)

He didn't come up with the hard hitting rhymes (Cube)

Multi syllables (Kool G)

Witty funny style (Kane)

Storytelling (slick Rick)

KRS did his famous battle with the juice crew and that's about it.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    krs was one of the best at what he did which was spitting that black conscious history and how it relates to today, if you want to look for who is in his lineage of emcee's look no farther than nas, nas embodied being criminal minded at the same time having a level of self awareness and consciousness.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You know I get what everyone saying. I see the validity in some of the posts so far. But these old school vs new school threads is what's wrong with hip hop. You never hear jazz heads beefing about who nicer with the horn wynton Marsalis or Miles Davis. Or rock heads telling the Stones to just retire. No them ? selling out stadiums right now.

Whats wrong with liking ice t, Wu tang and Too Short but also respecting the new school like Cole, Kendrick, or ASAP? I don't get it and until we figure it out hip hop is never gonna be fully respected entirely.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    You know I get what everyone saying. I see the validity in some of the posts so far. But these old school vs new school threads is what's wrong with hip hop. You never hear jazz heads beefing about who nicer with the horn wynton Marsalis or Miles Davis. Or rock heads telling the Stones to just retire. No them ? selling out stadiums right now.

Whats wrong with liking ice t, Wu tang and Too Short but also respecting the new school Luke Cole, Kendrick, or ASAP? I don't get it and until we figure it out hip hop is never gonna be fully respected entirely.

Because ever since beefs hip hop has been kind of a competitive sport. Especially for the lyrical ones that claim to be the best.

No one is comparing fun loving Rappers like fresh Prince or ying yang twinz.

KRS is one of the people who even made it that way. He thought he was better than Shan and wanted to prove that.

And 5 grand save that "you weren't born" talk. Neither of us were born when Ali fought Joe Frazier but we can still argue on who was better.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Whats wrong with liking ice t, Wu tang and Too Short but also respecting the new school Luke Cole, Kendrick, or ASAP? I don't get it and until we figure it out hip hop is never gonna be fully respected entirely.

You can def like old school and new school....good music is good music and i agree, i can listen to big daddy kane, flip it and put don trip on next and enjoy them equally

But i think other genres have their arguments, you dont think hippies have argued the rolling stones vs led zepplin back in the day or eric clapton vs jimi hendrix as superior guitar player? Its part of the fun, like who the best quarterback in the nfl is

The stones are selling out because of nastalgia to old heads who want to see them one last time and because they made great music even the youth can apprecate...i think jayz and snoop could do the same as they get older because of their popularity and ageless music....i just dont think someone like rakim or krs one had that same kind of impact outside of hip hop heads
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sure rock heads did debate they favorite artists just like we do and that's dope. I'm meaning dismissing an entire generation of music just cuz its old or vice versa. That's wack as ? to me
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sure rock heads did debate they favorite artists just like we do and that's dope. I'm meaning dismissing an entire generation of music just cuz its old or vice versa. That's wack as ? to me

I agree with this here, some old head at the barber shop was telling me how dope isiah thomas was, and I never really been a zeke fan, I was around 8 when he was winning, but it reminded me of trying to explain how dope jordan was to my younger cousin who wasn't born when mj was playing, he knows about the shoes and gear and all that but just couldnt fathom the impact jordan had on the game.

thats the same for some of this music, you have to appreciate what came before if you appreciate what you have now, the beats might sound like some old ? , the way ? rapping might sound dated, all of that but take yourself to that time when there was nothing else, then you'd understand what it means.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know a lot of old heads who think music after the 70's is complete trash

Or todays nba sucks compared to old nba

I think it happens all over, it just depends if your involved in the conversations or not
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This

Multi syllables (Kool G)

Witty funny style (Kane)

Would you believe it if I say he embodies ALL of those styles? Plus him and Chuck D brought in the conscious/knowledge of self steez. He also brought in the Reggae style influence in Hip Hop.
  • kliiimaxx
    kliiimaxx Members Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Something tell's me this thread shouldn't ta happened
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/iamkrsone

Can someone with a twitter @ this wack ass ? so he can defend himself?

dam ? didn't you JUST single-handedly make it where Preemo don't ? with AHH no more because of your antics? ? tryna make it where no legends at all ? with allhiphop anymore

Fck preemo lol
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel what u saying but I feel more like the legends get a pass when it comes to getting compared to knew cats.
    ? act like this old cats haven't lost a step in rap and can out rap or wash all this new cats out which isn't the case
    The games changed and rappers have gotten better
    Hell Larry bird scored 647 3pointers his entire 13yr career
    Curry done scored 687 3pointers since 2013 season
    ? changes so to sit here and say the Wu-Tang and KRS-One can out rap ? like Cole, Kendrick, Big Sean even Drake is hilarious
    Old cats just live off nostalgic times and don't wanna pass the torch or even admit Jay and Nas ain't as good as they use to be and might can't out rap this young ? no more

Why couldnt method man out rap drake or kendric lamar

Im not saying he couldn't he was just a example what I'm sayin is ? act like the best rappers from the past could all survive in the rap game today.
    Some of this rappers y'all praise ain't touched a mic in a decade but y'all still act like they could out rap whoever whenever ? ridiculous

Outside Kendrick, rappers today are just Pop acts with no hard background. I think Madonna has more street cred.

A guy like Em would murder any of them if we're talking mainstream.

While doing numbers.

What does street background have to do with skill on the mic
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options

This

Multi syllables (Kool G)

Witty funny style (Kane)

Would you believe it if I say he embodies ALL of those styles? Plus him and Chuck D brought in the conscious/knowledge of self steez. He also brought in the Reggae style influence in Hip Hop.

You just hit the nail on the head.

KRS was on several covers of The Source if that means anything. They didn't just put anybody on the cover.

He also co-hosted Yo! MTV Raps a few times and was on The Arsenio Hall Show a few times.

You might not like him or his music but you can't deny his impact.

Personally there's a handful of groups/rappers I don't like but I wouldn't deny their impact.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo how jazz musicians going to beef break out their instrument and square off in the streets hip hop is a real man genre the weak won't survive shut up with the " oh you don't hear opera fans fighting over who the best" thats because no one cares
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I actually look up the Ice-T *shrugs* POWER and OG were dope af IMO and are classics.

Anyways I'd say:

Lupe Fiasco -- not really a legend but he's prolly got the WOAT fans. That dude is clearly the definition of emotional light skin ? and says a lot of pseudo-intellectual ? that he gets a pass for when he should be checked. But dig this, if you denounce Lupe, his fans will say you're simply not intelligent enough to understand his "deep" nh.

Ice Cube -- He didn't write his own rhymes he had ghostwriters from time to time and his latter albums weren't meh af. He gets a pass tho b/c he's a legend. ? will say Drake can NEVER be a GOAT one day b/c of the ghostwritten ? but Eazy-E, Kanye and Cube can't be spoken ill of for the same crime ? Ha !!!

Kanye West -- He says A LOT of ? that he deserves to be checked for and he whines like a ? but he has yes men around him so NO ONE ever tells him to ? SMMFH. I'm surprised Kanye West made it this far without ever engaging in beefs or being called out for being a big whiny ? .

Wait a minute, who wrote for cube?

• ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snoop Dogg

Snoop has been making hits for 20+ years. How many artists in ANY genre can say that? I actually think he set the blueprint for how to rappers can transition their sound as they get older. The Bush album was solid.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, Hip Hop has had the same arc.

50's rock = 80's rap = mainstream birth
    60's rock = 90's rap = prime years
    70's rock = 00's rap = slow wind down of the genre
    80's rock = 10's rap = Pop influenced, gimmicks, only a handful of decent acts