Rappers That Get A Pass Simply Because They're "Legends"

Options

Comments

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    KRS is corny, but dude can rap his ass off and has hits.

Its more than that. He was a leader. He organized the Stop The Violence Movement. He made conscious records when everybody else was bragging about their gold chain. He made concept albums. He tried to kick knowledge. Whether you agree with his politics or not its indisputable that he tried. I haven't heard J Cole's albums but I've heard Kendrick's GKMC and Drake's Take Care album. Those guys don't impress me but between the two I prefer Kendrick.

But none of the new rappers are willing to take a chance and rap about the importance of knowing African History or calling out the police for police brutality or black on black crime. None of those guys are going to organize a Stop The Violence Movement. I understand that being socially conscious and political doesn't always make for good music, but at least KRS tried. Ice T tried. Those guys tried to make a difference and paved the way for other rappers who may have done it better (Ice Cube, 2Pac, Nas, Jay Z).

But think about it, if Dec 31, 1989 is your cut-off point, who are the top 10 rappers?

Rakim
    Kane
    Cube
    LL
    Chuck D
    Eazy E
    DOC
    Kool G Rap
    Ren
    Scarface
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KRS was performing in a tent at rock the bells while e-40 had the big stage.

I'm pretty sure it happened on the east coast too. 5 grand have u ever been to Europe? E 40 can sell out shows. Nobody is paying to see KRS.

Most people outside of new York only know him as the guy who did "whoop whoop, that's the sound of the police"

And that song sucked too.

KRS ONE sells out shows in UK, Spain, Italy, Japan etc regulary, all the 80s and 90s acts tour Europe and Asia... As do all the 'underground' acts too...
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lol bow wow and K dot are the same age but bow wow came out in 1999. Almost same time as Em and DMX. And before 50 blew up.

Which shows that it dont matter if they new school. They still grew up on the same ? you grew up on @5 Grand
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's going to be funny in 20 to 30 years from now when the younger kids start calling rappers from this era overrated and wack.
  • wAXed_poetic
    wAXed_poetic Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think anyone can out spit anyone on any given beat. So everyone need to stay on their toes or risk getting ate up. Regardless of era.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    It's going to be funny in 20 to 30 years from now when the younger kids start calling rappers from this era overrated and wack.

And when it happens I'm going to sit back and laugh. ? ? Drake that old ? overrated (2030 rapper)>>Drake
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought you valued simplistic lyrics.

Em, alone, could rap circles around this new generation.

Your favorite white rapper may be Drake but Aubry has lyrics written for him.

He also gets shown how to deliver the lines.
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    Options
    Criminal Minded alone cements KRS-One.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Troll and bait thread..why even bother?
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    edited December 2015
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    TayGettem wrote: »
    I feel what u saying but I feel more like the legends get a pass when it comes to getting compared to knew cats.
    ? act like this old cats haven't lost a step in rap and can out rap or wash all this new cats out which isn't the case
    The games changed and rappers have gotten better
    Hell Larry bird scored 647 3pointers his entire 13yr career
    Curry done scored 687 3pointers since 2013 season
    ? changes so to sit here and say the Wu-Tang and KRS-One can out rap ? like Cole, Kendrick, Big Sean even Drake is hilarious
    Old cats just live off nostalgic times and don't wanna pass the torch or even admit Jay and Nas ain't as good as they use to be and might can't out rap this young ? no more

Why couldnt method man out rap drake or kendric lamar

Im not saying he couldn't he was just a example what I'm sayin is ? act like the best rappers from the past could all survive in the rap game today.
    Some of this rappers y'all praise ain't touched a mic in a decade but y'all still act like they could out rap whoever whenever ? ridiculous

Outside Kendrick, rappers today are just Pop acts with no hard background. I think Madonna has more street cred.

A guy like Em would murder any of them if we're talking mainstream.

While doing numbers.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KRS is one of the most sampled artists in Hip Hop music. Everybody's favorite artist(s) borrowed something from the Blastmaster in their songs or lyrics.
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I thought you valued simplistic lyrics.

Em, alone, could rap circles around this new generation.

Your favorite white rapper may be Drake but Aubry has lyrics written for him.

He also gets shown how to deliver the lines.

I got spammed for saying the truth, blackgod8whatever?

You could have confronted me or just no-signed me, you ? .
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    E40 straight basura marble mouth no flow having ass
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U said drake was white...thennn....you spread rumours about him whats left to be said u drew a line...oo an ? eminen
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, ? THIS thread.

Pay homage to the greats. They'll still destroy most of these much-mouthed rappers out now.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder do rock fans sat back and ? on the beatles and the rolling stones and ? like that.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A bunch of 20 somethings talking about who truly deserves to be called a legend in the pantheon of hiphop

Lolz
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snoop Dogg should own this thread, dude hasnt really been dope since Tha Last Meal/Paid Tha Cost albums...

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    I wonder do rock fans sat back and ? on the beatles and the rolling stones and ? like that.

They don't, only in hip-hop do the majority openly not pay homage. They only do it when it's trendy, then turn right around & catch feelings cuz the next group of young cats don't like they ? they ? with 10-15 years ago. It's a sad ass cycle.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So ya'll IC ? puttin faith in a ? that uses a Recess character avi who disses Melle Mel and Iceberg simply becasue MidgetsNThaBuilding and @matches malone didn't send that ? @Busta Carmichael his daily nigganudes this morning, so now he wants to throw a OBJ fit?

The next fatherless IC poster dissing my homie Iceberg on my birthday is gettin got by my deaf crew in a drive-by. Say goodbye ya tone-deaf ears you fatherless ? .

found a video of this ? fatherless ? @Busta Carmichael :
    8NjmfKH.gif