Lebron will retire with 4 rings , that trumps kobes 5 rings

Options

Comments

• DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    ? said lebron carried a bunch of bums to the finals as if no other players in the nba
    aint do the same........
    didnt allen iverson carried a bunch of bums to the finals in 2001

didnt jason kidd not carried a bunch of bums to the finals in 2002 and 2003

Dont compare what lebron did in the east to what kobe did in the west.......its
    a well known fact that kobe deals with tougher competition, plus career wise
    kobe took on juggernauts through his career ...
    They did have elite defenses tho. As did the 07 Cavs.

Just speaks to how trash the East was from 2001-2007. The Pistons and Heat were the only teams worth a damn during that whole era.

Was just gonna tell the The Focus one that but you beat me to it.

Like I don't already know. LoL. Still doesn't brush off what LeBron did and with that roster no less.

Also, Kobe has NEVER singlehandedly carried a team. EVER. Kobe and Mike have always had BIG 3s and a solid bench when they've won their championships PLUS Phil Jackson.

Hypothetically speaking, give LeBron a team with say Chris Paul, Durant, AND Popovich and watch him steamroll the West. 7 rings would attainable if you gave LeBron a supporting cast like Kobe or MJ had.

BTW, I'm not homer. This is all coming from a Kings fan... *prepares the roast shield*

Kobe never caried a team?
    (BTW that Kings fan ? explains your position alot. Yall know yall hate anything laker related but ima still entertain this)

For the bolded He put the Lakers up 3-1 in a playoff series where they shoulda got sweep. ? put a very high powered Suns team in some real danger and coulda been the third or forth biggest upset in a series in playoff history and you know who he was running with when the Lakes snuck in the back door of the playoffs that year? Kwame Brown Cris Mims and Lamar Odom. I would hardly call that a big 3. If he was in the eastern conference with that trash ass roster that year he WOULDA been able to get to ECF atleast like the rest of them cats yall glorify.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Biggest difference between Kobe and Lebron is Kobe got drafted and traded to the premier NBA franchise who had the best player in basketball in his prime waiting for him. LeBron got drafted by the worst team in basketball in a city where no big name free agents wanted to come to or stay in (? ).

Kobe had Phil Jackson. LeBron had Mike Brown.
    Kobe had Shaq. LeBron had Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
    Kobe had Gasol. LeBron had Mo Williams.

I'm not gonna bring up the Cavs going to the Finals in 07 cause the East was garbage, but Kobe had a team full of role players and the best he ever carried em to was 45 wins. LeBron had a team full of role players and carried em to 66 and 62 win seasons. You can say Cleveland had better role players and the East was weak, but the Cavs overachieved and had the best record in basketball over those 2 years. LeBron went to Miami, where free agents actually want to play, and won 2 rings in 4 years with the level of talent around him Kobe had for most of his career and might've won 3 in 5 if he had Love/Kyrie in last year's Finals.

Kobe's a legend and got the best out of his teams, but he was constantly put in situations to succeed where Lebron for the first half of his career was put in situations to fail.
  • DR. JEK
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Biggest difference between Kobe and Lebron is Kobe got drafted and traded to the premier NBA franchise who had the best player in basketball in his prime waiting for him. LeBron got drafted by the worst team in basketball in a city where no big name free agents wanted to come to or stay in (? ).

I'm not gonna bring up the Cavs going to the Finals in 07 cause the East was garbage, but Kobe had a team full of role players and the best he ever carried em to was 45 wins. LeBron had a team full of role players and carried em to 66 and 62 win seasons. You can say Cleveland had better role players and the East was weak, but the Cavs overachieved and had the best record in basketball over those 2 years. LeBron went to Miami, where free agents actually want to play, and won 2 rings in 4 years with the level of talent around him Kobe had for most of his career and might've won 3 in 5 if he had Love/Kyrie in last year's Finals.

Kobe's a legend and got the best out of his teams, but he was constantly put in situations to succeed where Lebron for the first half of his career was put in situations to fail.

For the bolded he also coulda lost both finals he won if Harden dont choke and Jesus Shuttlesworth miss that 3 pointer. And when you said Kobe only won 45 games that year all the west teams he had to play alteast 4 times each. Lebron got to play those same teams only twice (must be nice) a year so if you woulda traded Lebron for Kobe in 05-06 and had James playing wit smush, Cris Mims, and Slava Medvedenko or some ? , I bet you Bron only win 45 too and Kobe go to the finals wit Varajo and Mo Williams and them guys to atleast ECF.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dunno if Kobe would've gotten to the finals with them Cleveland ? . Bron is way more of a team player than Kobe. Plus Kobe NEEDS a talented big man, which Cleveland didn't have.
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dunno if Kobe would've gotten to the finals with them Cleveland ? . Bron is way more of a team player than Kobe. Plus Kobe NEEDS a talented big man, which Cleveland didn't have.

And LeBron needs a gang of shooters and 2 other All Star caliber players in order to win a title, and even then he's only 2-2.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    804 wrote: »

And LeBron needs a gang of shooters and 2 other All Star caliber players in order to win a title, and even then he's only 2-2.

You absolutely right.....those are the formulas that work for them best, in terms of winning championships.....Just like Shaq, as great as he is, he need a all star guard......? need ?
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options

For the bolded he also coulda lost both finals he won if Harden dont choke and Jesus Shuttlesworth miss that 3 pointer. And when you said Kobe only won 45 games that year all the west teams he had to play alteast 4 times each. Lebron got to play those same teams only twice (must be nice) a year so if you woulda traded Lebron for Kobe in 05-06 and had James playing wit smush, Cris Mims, and Slava Medvedenko or some ? , I bet you Bron only win 45 too and Kobe go to the finals wit Varajo and Mo Williams and them guys to atleast ECF.
    And Kobe could've lost in 2000 when he shot 36.7% and averaged 15.6 points in the Finals
    Or in 2002 if Sacramento didnt get ? by the refs in Game 6. How dare Mike Bibby hit Kobe's elbow with his face?
    Or in 2010 if the Celtics had Kendrick Perkins

I dont actually believe the last one, but we're talking coulda/woulda. It goes both ways, but I'll give Kobe credit for one thing. Even when he missed, he kept shooting and didn't ? out like Lebron did against Dallas.
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lebron had to throw everything he lost, Kobe just lost
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is an unfair comparison because Kobe demanded to go to LA in his rookie year and played every game of his career with the Lakers.

LeBron made a choice to go back to Cleveland, which isn't known for having a good basketball program. Its a smaller market and they have less dollars.

Less dollars mean they can't afford the best players. They can only afford one superstar while a team like the Lakers or Chicago in the 90s can afford two or three superstars.

Just think, how much would you pay to sit court side at a Lakers game and then how much would you pay to sit court side at a Cavaliers game? I'm guessing that the Lakers have twice the budget as the Cavaliers so its really an unfair comparison.
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    This is an unfair comparison because Kobe demanded to go to LA in his rookie year and played every game of his career with the Lakers.

LeBron made a choice to go back to Cleveland, which isn't known for having a good basketball program. Its a smaller market and they have less dollars.

Less dollars mean they can't afford the best players. They can only afford one superstar while a team like the Lakers or Chicago in the 90s can afford two or three superstars.

Just think, how much would you pay to sit court side at a Lakers game and then how much would you pay to sit court side at a Cavaliers game? I'm guessing that the Lakers have twice the budget as the Cavaliers so its really an unfair comparison.

There's a salary cap, everyone has the same amount of money.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah big market teams have ways of spending money under the table. For example, the Lakers can (re)sell their court side seats for tens of thousands of dollars, maybe more. A team like Charlotte or Milwaukee can only get face value for their court side seats.

Also, big name players want to live in cities like Los Angeles, Miami and New York. Kareem Abdul Jabbar said he hated playing in Milwaukee and was glad when they traded him to the Lakers.

Where would you rather live if you were a celebrity, Los Angeles, Miami or Milwaukee? New York or Utah?
    Options

Nah big market teams have ways of spending money under the table. For example, the Lakers can (re)sell their court side seats for tens of thousands of dollars, maybe more. A team like Charlotte or Milwaukee can only get face value for their court side seats.

Also, big name players want to live in cities like Los Angeles, Miami and New York. Kareem Abdul Jabbar said he hated playing in Milwaukee and was glad when they traded him to the Lakers.

Where would you rather live if you were a celebrity, Los Angeles, Miami or Milwaukee? New York or Utah?

There's a luxury tax in place if a team goes too far over the cap. Most teams go over the cap, with all the contract exceptions the league has, not just big market teams. The Knicks had little success with a huge payroll, and same with the Nets. Most guys are gonna sign where they can win, a la Aldridge signing with the Spurs.
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ? said lebron carried a bunch of bums to the finals as if no other players in the nba
    aint do the same........

Just speaks to how trash the East was from 2001-2007. The Pistons and Heat were the only teams worth a damn during that whole era.

Like I don't already know. LoL. Still doesn't brush off what LeBron did and with that roster no less.

Also, Kobe has NEVER singlehandedly carried a team. EVER. Kobe and Mike have always had BIG 3s and a solid bench when they've won their championships PLUS Phil Jackson.

Hypothetically speaking, give LeBron a team with say Chris Paul, Durant, AND Popovich and watch him steamroll the West. 7 rings would attainable if you gave LeBron a supporting cast like Kobe or MJ had.

BTW, I'm not homer. This is all coming from a Kings fan... *prepares the roast shield*

(BTW that Kings fan ? explains your position alot. Yall know yall hate anything laker related but ima still entertain this)

For the bolded He put the Lakers up 3-1 in a playoff series where they shoulda got sweep. ? put a very high powered Suns team in some real danger and coulda been the third or forth biggest upset in a series in playoff history and you know who he was running with when the Lakes snuck in the back door of the playoffs that year? Kwame Brown Cris Mims and Lamar Odom. I would hardly call that a big 3. If he was in the eastern conference with that trash ass roster that year he WOULDA been able to get to ECF atleast like the rest of them cats yall glorify.

No, being a Kings fan doesn't explain anything. For example, it doesn't explain the fact that Kobe had Shaq, Harper, Fisher, Grant, Horry, Fox, Shaw, Payton, Malone, Odom, and Gasol for championship runs while Lebron James has had Wade, Bosh, Allen, Love and Kyrie- and for all intents and purposes the last two weren't present for the Finals last year.

And no, Kobe would not have carried that 06 team in the East because as wack as the East was, you still had to PASS the ball and get past the defenses. That Suns squad was 16th in the league in defense, and while Kobe could have gotten the Lakers past the Wizards in the Eastern First Round, I highly doubt the Lakers would have taken the Pistons, with their 5th ranked defense, to 7 games purely on the Kobe show, with no passing or ball movement.

LeBron has done more with less.
  • DR. JEK
    edited April 2016
    Options
    aint do the same........

No, being a Kings fan doesn't explain anything. For example, it doesn't explain the fact that Kobe had Shaq, Harper, Fisher, Grant, Horry, Fox, Shaw, Payton, Malone, Odom, and Gasol for championship runs while Lebron James has had Wade, Bosh, Allen, Love and Kyrie- and for all intents and purposes the last two weren't present for the Finals last year.

And no, Kobe would not have carried that 06 team in the East because as wack as the East was, you still had to PASS the ball and get past the defenses. That Suns squad was 16th in the league in defense, and while Kobe could have gotten the Lakers past the Wizards in the Eastern First Round, I highly doubt the Lakers would have taken the Pistons, with their 5th ranked defense, to 7 games purely on the Kobe show, with no passing or ball movement.

Wade and Bosh were better than Harper, Fox, Fisher, and a ? washed Payton and Malone. They were better than all his teammates not named Shaq (nice try but Im not lettin that ? fly, I aint just start watchin B Ball).
    and you know damn well why I said being a Kings fan explained the stance, dont ? sit here and play.

And I strongly disagree with Kobe not being able to come outta the east. Lol @ you talking bout he'd have to pass. Iverson got to the finals and it sure as hell wasn't because he passed the ball. Wade dominated the Mavs in the finals too and it was because he kept lighting them guys up too. Foh man....and dont be a prisoner of the 2016 moment, we talking about knee deep in Kobe's prime years 06 to 09 where he was cookin everybody! You said the Suns were 16th in D? I dont know why you brought that up, I never said they ever stopped him. They stopped all the bums around him and Kobe lit them up until game 7 where he had another agenda because of the media but back east, no teams was good enough as a whole offensively to offset What Kobe was gonna do like the Suns were. If San Antonio wasnt such a match up problem for the Suns Dantoni and them guys woulda won multiple Chips so it aint like Kobe lost to a squad of pootbutts.
  • DR. JEK
    Options

And Kobe could've lost in 2000 when he shot 36.7% and averaged 15.6 points in the Finals
    Or in 2002 if Sacramento didnt get ? by the refs in Game 6. How dare Mike Bibby hit Kobe's elbow with his face?

I dont actually believe the last one, but we're talking coulda/woulda. It goes both ways, but I'll give Kobe credit for one thing. Even when he missed, he kept shooting and didn't ? out like Lebron did against Dallas.

You mean the 2000 finals when Kobe got hurt in one game, didnt playin another, had only 8 points the game he came back but hit the Pacers for 26 including 4 clutch free throws? Nah ....
    They wasn't in danger, allotta people feel they wanted to just win that series at home.

And the Kings where like the 06 Suns before the suns were the suns except they had a shaq in his prime to deal with, Phoenix didn't and that's why the Suns were able to beat us in the mid 2000's because bonifide scrub Kwame Brown didn't pose the same resistance.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options

You mean the 2000 finals when Kobe got hurt in one game, didnt playin another, had only 8 points the game he came back but hit the Pacers for 26 including 4 clutch free throws? Nah ....
    They wasn't in danger, allotta people feel they wanted to just win that series at home.

And the Kings where like the 06 Suns before the suns were the suns except they had a shaq in his prime to deal with, Phoenix didn't and that's why the Suns were able to beat us in the mid 2000's because bonifide scrub Kwame Brown didn't pose the same resistance.

And the Kings would've beat y'all too if the fix wasn't in.
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    aint do the same........

Wade and Bosh were better than Harper, Fox, Fisher, and a ? washed Payton and Malone. They were better than all his teammates not named Shaq (nice try but Im not lettin that ? fly, I aint just start watchin B Ball).
    and you know damn well why I said being a Kings fan explained the stance, dont ? sit here and play.

And I strongly disagree with Kobe not being able to come outta the east. Lol @ you talking bout he'd have to pass. Iverson got to the finals and it sure as hell wasn't because he passed the ball. Wade dominated the Mavs in the finals too and it was because he kept lighting them guys up too. Foh man....and dont be a prisoner of the 2016 moment, we talking about knee deep in Kobe's prime years 06 to 09 where he was cookin everybody! You said the Suns were 16th in D? I dont know why you brought that up, I never said they ever stopped him. They stopped all the bums around him and Kobe lit them up until game 7 where he had another agenda because of the media but back east, no teams was good enough as a whole offensively to offset What Kobe was gonna do like the Suns were. If San Antonio wasnt such a match up problem for the Suns Dantoni and them guys woulda won multiple Chips so it aint like Kobe lost to a squad of pootbutts.

1. Payton and Malone were not washed up. Check the stats playboi. Payton and Malone averaged 15 and 13pts a game with Kobe and Shaq still getting theirs. And Payton put up 1100 points while Malone only played half the season and still put up 550. You are also neglecting the contribution that Harper, Fox, and Fisher made IN ADDITION to having SHAQ. You're comparing a Heat squad that had nothing past their big 3 (big 4 for 2 seasons with Allen) to a Laker squad that was stacked. Don't act like they were bench warmers broski.
    2. I didn't realize this conversation was about the 02 Western Conference Finals. How did that happen?
    3. Iverson did what he did in 2001. That's completely irrelevant to the conversation.
    4. Wade did dominate- he also got a bunch of phantom calls that gave him a ton of extra free throws. Had it not been for the refs at the end of game 4, Dallas goes up 3-1 and the series would have been essentially over.
    5. You don't know why I brought up the Suns defensive rating because comprehension is hard sometimes- I get it. Kobe did what he did to a team that was 16th in the league in D and played up tempo basketball. He could have gotten away with that against the Wizards maybe, but Kobe would not be cookin' anybody in Detroit- they were 5th in the league in defense and would have made sure that Kobe was limited in his attack. Even if Kobe stayed Kobe, he wasn't stretching that series to a game 7.
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody that love Kobe never seen Mike play.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^"Dumb ? Said in the Cheapseats" candidate
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Louis Devinear

Lol

Lemme guess- you put Pippen over Kobe too, huh?
  • _God_
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

@Louis Devinear

Lol

Lemme guess- you put Pippen over Kobe too, huh?

Yea pippen over kobe
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Kobe's for sure greater than Pippen, but it's not a laughable comparison. Kobe was clearly a better scorer, but Pippen was a better defender and averaged more rebounds, steals, blocks and assists despite playing most of his career with Jordan who took a lot of those possessions.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nah bruh. There is some distance between the two

As great a player as Pippen was, he always had Jordan while sustaining that level of play.

Imagine Pip as your #1 option...

How many rings would that team have?
    Hell - How many births would they have in the Conference Finals?
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's clearly Kobe>>>>>Scottie

I'm not debating that, but Kobe played the majority of his career as 1st option Scottie was the #1 option once in his career and lead his team in points, assists and steals and was 2nd in rebounds and blocks. He lead his team to 55 wins and was a controversial call away from making it to the Eastern Conference Finals. Scottie was averaging over 20 PPG whilst being the second option to a guy averaging over 30 points and taking over 23 shots a game.

Nobody ever wants to give Scottie his dues just cause he played with the GOAT. Kobe top 15 all time. Scottie one of the greatest defenders all time and top 30 all time IMO
  • _God_
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Nah bruh. There is some distance between the two

As great a player as Pippen was, he always had Jordan while sustaining that level of play.

Imagine Pip as your #1 option...

How many rings would that team have?
    Hell - How many births would they have in the Conference Finals?

He didn't always have mj, remember the whole retirement thing and Scottie had a mv year leading the team to 51 wins