A very stupid trending story: SF State Black Student Confronts White Student Over "Dreads"

Options

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Judah Back wrote: »
    Im sure that Egyptian comment he dropped warms the hearts of history's white-washers in their graves.

i hear it was originally a east indian hairstyle from them not washing

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg
    The long-haired one endures fire, the long-haired one endures poison, the long-haired one endures both worlds. The long-haired one is said to gaze full on heaven, the long-haired one is said to be that light … Of us, you mortals, only our bodies do you behold. …For him has the Lord of life churned and pounded the unbendable, when the long-haired one, in Rudra’s company, drank from the poison cup.

gangadhara-shiva-vrindavan-das.jpg

hinduism-ascetics-portraits-india-holy-men-joey-l-5.jpg

Hindus have dreaded their hair for thousands of years. Loc'ed hair actually predates Hinduism in the Indus Valley.

They're not the only culture that did it. Aztecs, Polynesians, Greeks, Naga, and many other disparate cultures wore their hair in dreads. No one culture can lay claim to it as it is a part of so many dating many thousands of years.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Im sure that Egyptian comment he dropped warms the hearts of history's white-washers in their graves.

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg
    The long-haired one endures fire, the long-haired one endures poison, the long-haired one endures both worlds. The long-haired one is said to gaze full on heaven, the long-haired one is said to be that light … Of us, you mortals, only our bodies do you behold. …For him has the Lord of life churned and pounded the unbendable, when the long-haired one, in Rudra’s company, drank from the poison cup.

Hindus have dreaded their hair for thousands of years
    . Loc'ed hair actually predates Hinduism in the Indus Valley.

They're not the only culture that did it. Aztecs, Polynesians, Greeks, Naga, and many other disparate cultures wore their hair in dreads. No one culture can lay claim to it as it is a part of so many dating many thousands of years.

So have Africans. Ironically the Hindiu u posted looks African, and The pics i posted are of Egypt, which predates any Indian civilizations or Aztecs etc etc.

I'll say this, who's hair are easier to dread? and it'll make sense on who started it first....
    The same way it wouldn't make sense for the first parka coat to have been made in hot ass Africa.

• konceptjones
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

So have Africans. Ironically the Hindiu u posted looks African, and The pics i posted are of Egypt, which predates any Indian civilizations or Aztecs etc etc.

I'll say this, who's hair are easier to dread? and it'll make sense on who started it first....
    The same way it wouldn't make sense for the first parka coat to have been made in hot ass Africa.

Time for a history lesson...

Civilization in the Indus Valley in what we now call India dates back to 3300BC.
    Civilization in Egypt dates back to about 3100BC
    Civilization in Mesopotamia dates back to around 3300BC

While it's often argued that Mesopotamia is THE oldest civilization, it cannot be ignored that civilization did exist in the Indus Valley around the same time and Hinduism, which came from that region, has a history spanning about 20,000 years. Either way, both predate Egypt. The three civilizations are referred to as the Old World Civilizations. All three have histories that stretch even beyond those dates, with people in the region of Egypt developing agriculture around 6000BC and Mesopotamia and Indus Valley seeing the same around 8000BC

At the same time, clear on the other side of the planet, the Norte Chico civilization in South America is dated to around 3200BC. Obviously people were there long before that, but we have little to go on to describe their culture.

As it relates to dreadlocs: Hinduism is the single oldest religion in the world with carbon dated Shakti figures and statues being 20,000 years old. Dreads were maintained by holy men in this religion so it could be reasonably argued that dreads would have come from India seeing as how the religion is older than pretty much everything we know.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? a civilization a ? was born his hair dreaded if u know the ? in ? hair how is this even a rational conversation
  • D0wn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ? a civilization a ? was born his hair dreaded if u know the ? in ? hair how is this even a rational conversation

exactly, ? acting like ? are born with combs...........? acting like, ? ain't born with nappy ass hair that naturally loc on there own.
    Look at an African's hair, look at an indian's hair.... some ? is just common sense..

QUICK FACTS: Inorder to get Dreads with non kinky hair, you have to put stuff in your hair to make your non kinky hair, closer to kinky...

But they did it before ? tho....
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

Aren't you the dude who argued that Indians are black?
  • konceptjones
    edited March 2016
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

Who's hair dreads easier??? Anyone with straight hair dreads easiest. YT's hair will dread naturally if they never wash it, same for SE Asians, Indians, etc.

African hair? Nope. African hair has to be intentionally dreaded and every tribe in Africa that does it has a lengthy process to get those locs. The typical African hair doesn't have the oils in it that will cause it to become matted, leading to dreads when unwashed.

All YT gotta do to get dreads is stop washing their hair.

Lox-1407_110.jpg
    oxbow.jpg.jpg

every part of Africa ain't hot.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

Who's hair dreads easier??? Anyone with straight hair dreads easiest. YT's hair will dread naturally if they never wash it, same for SE Asians, Indians, etc.

African hair? Nope. African hair has to be intentionally dreaded and every tribe in Africa that does it has a lengthy process to get those locs
    . The typical African hair doesn't have the oils in it that will cause it to become matted, leading to dreads when unwashed.

Lox-1407_110.jpg
    oxbow.jpg.jpg

You don't know what the ? you are talking about now.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

African hair? Nope. African hair has to be intentionally dreaded and every tribe in Africa that does it has a lengthy process to get those locs
    . The typical African hair doesn't have the oils in it that will cause it to become matted, leading to dreads when unwashed.

Lox-1407_110.jpg
    oxbow.jpg.jpg

My sister and her husband have dreads. I dated a few chicks with dreads. When I was in college bac around '93, half of my crew had dreads.

There's a process for dreading Black hair. Just to get started requires back combing, twists, or something to get it going. YT doesn't have to do ? but wake up in the morning and go about their daily life. Eventually their hair will become matted, which in turn becomes dreads. No bees wax, no oils, no nothing needed.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

Lox-1407_110.jpg
    oxbow.jpg.jpg

My sister and her husband have dreads. I dated a few chicks with dreads. When I was in college bac around '93, half of my crew had dreads.

There's a process for dreading Black hair. Just to get started requires back combing, twists, or something to get it going. YT doesn't have to do ? but wake up in the morning and go about their daily life. Eventually their hair will become matted, which in turn becomes dreads. No bees wax, no oils, no nothing needed.

Just because the people you knew USED a process to dread their hair does not mean otherblack people had to use a process. I know plenty of rasta who got dreads simply by not combing their hair and your friends probably didn't have to use a process in the first place they just chose to out of ignorance.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    People choose the most whimsical battles to fight

True.
    These ? doing too much when they tryna tell a black man....the original man, that they get anything from a gentile much less a ? hairstyle.
    These people are crazy.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now y'all know y'all can't be in here challenging europeon history...
  • konceptjones
    Options
    gns wrote: »

True.
    These ? doing too much when they tryna tell a black man....the original man, that they get anything from a gentile much less a ? hairstyle.
    These people are crazy.

but who's doing that???
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YEAH, WE KNOW HOW BLACK CULTURE GETS STOLEN ALLLL THE TIME... BUT AT NO POINT SHOULD SHE HAVE PUT HER HANDS ON HIM..
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

Lox-1407_110.jpg
    oxbow.jpg.jpg

? i have head dreds i used to no comb just twisted sometimes florida ? post pretty boy ever see a ? with four dreds damn we cant have common knowledge ?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »

True.
    These people are crazy.

but who's doing that???

Its a 5 page thread youre welcome to click on a past page to see
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

Lox-1407_110.jpg
    oxbow.jpg.jpg

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but you're wrong here. If black people don't wash their hair and let it grow unkempt it will mat just like white people people's hair. People do all that preparatory stuff because they a) want to control how their dreads will look once they start growing and b) want to facilitate and speed up the process. Also, the dreads of people who use oils and stuff like that tend to look better than the ones who do their ? straight natural.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black hair naturally locks and coils around. The structure of African hair is what allows it to hold locs the easiest any style for that matter.

Non African hair may mat together but it does not lock itself. Tangled at best.

African people with that 4b and 4c hair have to use a comb to unlock hair almost daily.

I don't even know why this an argument.

• D0wn
    Options

duhhh_zps64b101dc.png

Egyp234_big_copy.jpg

Ptolemaic_period.jpg

African hair? Nope. African hair has to be intentionally dreaded and every tribe in Africa that does it has a lengthy process to get those locs. The typical African hair doesn't have the oils in it that will cause it to become matted, leading to dreads when unwashed.

Lox-1407_110.jpg
    oxbow.jpg.jpg

tumblr_n1p4usWHLd1tn6yjeo1_400.gif

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey blacks, whites...., ancient India called they want their dreads back.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    ... feelings ensue.

I'm sure these are the cool students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwSFv8e8K4

just look at the still. ? is clearly fake. her ass all smiling staring at the camera
    Man I think you're right. It looked scripted. ? scenario all around dumb.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looked like a real life Facebook meme fight.