A very stupid trending story: SF State Black Student Confronts White Student Over "Dreads"

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    Be my guest

I have already done so and any body who actually has a brain and can read knows you have made a ? fool of yourself.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    "zzombie wrote: »
    You have no proof that Rastafarian beliefs were influenced by Hinduism.
    Leonard Percival Howell (June 16, 1898 – February 25, 1981), known as The Gong or G.G. Maragh (for Gong Guru), was a Jamaican religious figure. According to his biographer Hélène Lee, Howell was born in an Anglican family. He was one of the first preachers of the Rastafari movement (along with Joseph Hibbert, Archibald Dunkley, and Robert Hinds), and is sometimes known as The First Rasta.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Howell

You tell me where the word "guru"
    And the name "Maragh" come from???

And then explain this:

A chillum, or chilam, is a straight conical pipe with end-to-end channel, traditionally made of clay and
    used since at least the eighteenth century by sadhus in India.

In "reasoning sessions" and grounations, the ritual chillum used is made of a cow's horn or conical wood piece, fitted with a long drawtube giving the smoke time to cool before inhalation.

A ? -like chillum equipped with a water filtration chamber is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillum_(pipe)
  • Bodhi
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Be my guest

I have already done so and any body who actually has a brain and can read

or anybody that has the same biases as you
  • zzombie
    Options
    Leonard Percival Howell (June 16, 1898 – February 25, 1981), known as The Gong or G.G. Maragh (for Gong Guru), was a Jamaican religious figure. According to his biographer Hélène Lee, Howell was born in an Anglican family. He was one of the first preachers of the Rastafari movement (along with Joseph Hibbert, Archibald Dunkley, and Robert Hinds), and is sometimes known as The First Rasta.

And then explain this:

A chillum, or chilam, is a straight conical pipe with end-to-end channel, traditionally made of clay and

In "reasoning sessions" and grounations, the ritual chillum used is made of a cow's horn or conical wood piece, fitted with a long drawtube giving the smoke time to cool before inhalation.

A ? -like chillum equipped with a water filtration chamber is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.

That's not proof that Rastafarian beliefs come from Hinduism you idiot it's proof they gave one man a Hindu nickname used hindu smoking pipes.
  • Bodhi
    edited April 2016
    Options

And then explain this:

That's not proof that Rastafarian beliefs come from Hinduism you idiot it's proof they gave one man a Hindu nickname used hindu smoking pipes.

I'm not saying all of their beliefs come from Hinduism.
    Just that they were influenced by them. They picked up
    Some things from them,
    Which is obvious. They were influenced by Judaism too.
    Nothing wrong with influence. We're all influenced by
    Somebody ? .
  • zzombie
    Options
    Be my guest

Do you mean all of Jamaica and the original Rastafarians??? You ? clown.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Be my guest

Do you mean all of Jamaica and the original Rastafarians???

I don't know them.
  • zzombie
    Options

And then explain this:

I'm not saying all of their beliefs come from Hinduism.
    Just that they were influenced by them. They picked up
    Some things from them,
    Which is obvious. They were influenced by Judaism too.
    Nothing wrong with influence. We're all influenced by
    Somebody ? .

they didn't pick up any beliefs from Hinduism they just use few Hindi words and by a few I mean 2 maybe 3
  • zzombie
    Options
    Be my guest

Do you mean all of Jamaica and the original Rastafarians???

I don't know them.

Well I know Rastafarians and rasta closely and Hinduism has nothing to do with Rastafarianism.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    they didn't pick up any beliefs from Hinduism they just use few Hindi words and by a few I mean 2 maybe 3

a deeper analysis will find that the Hindu culture has had an immense, largely unacknowledged influence on Jamaican culture and the early stages of Rastafari.
    Indian indentured servants ... brought to Jamaica the Hindu practices of ? consumption for spiritual and medicinal purposes, mystical religious practices, and a vegetarian diet. Their greatest contribution was not culinary but in the realm of spirituality. Indians had astronomical influence on the early tenets of Rastafari.

The leading father of this movement that preached pride in one’s African ancestry, living close to nature, and self-sufficiency, Leonard Howell, borrowed many of the early tenets of the Rastafari movement from Indians.

The ital diet, a more disciplined form of vegetarianism, derives directly from the influence of indentured servants who were vegetarians continuing an ancient practice from India.

The use of ? /marijuana for spiritual and medicinal purposes has influenced not just members of Rastafari but Jamaicans in the countryside who resided alongside Indians. Though it is true Africans utilized marijuana for the same purpose, Indians are responsible for its arrival in Jamaica. Ironically, the British were the main suppliers of marijuana to Indians in Jamaica before it was criminalized in 1938. Jamaicans of African descent observed Indians’ ceremonial use of the ‘herb’ and adopted the practices. Practitioners of Kumina, a West African tradition, also utilized marijuana to communicate with their ancestors.

Joseph Hibbert, another founding father of Rastafari, acknowledged the Hindu influence on Leonard Howell in an interview with Leonard Howell’s biographer Helene Lee. “After learning about the Hindu ? incarnates Rama, Krishna and Buddha, Howell was convinced that every nation had their own ? .” Leonard found his African ? in the crowning of Emperor Selassie of Ethiopia.

http://thyblackman.com/2016/01/11/indian-influence-on-jamaican-culture-and-growth-of-rastafari/

• Bodhi
    Options
    The Mansingh studies have enumerated Howell's innumerable borrowings
    from the Indians --- his name Gangunguru Maragh
    (from gyan, knowledge; guna, virtue; guru, teacher; and Maharadj,
    King); his prayers' use of Hindi words; his concept of a ? -King;
    the sacramental use of ? , meditation, vegetarian cooking and
    spices, and even the holy salutation --- 'Jah! Rastafari!'

One can hear the loud chants of Jai Bhagwan, Jai Rama, Jai
    Krishna, or Jai Kali (victory to ? /Rama/Krishna/Kali) at any
    private or community Hindu Pooja or prayer meeting...As Ras
    Tafari gained the status of African Lord Rama/Krishna during
    the 1940s, phonetic usage of the word Jai was continued. But
    Rama, Krishna and Kali were replaced by Ras Tafari. Searching
    the Old Testament...the Rastas found the word Jah, which is
    phonetically similar to the Hindi word Jai.

Howell not only borrowed some exotic words and rituals
    from the Indians to feed the fancies of an illiterate audience, he also
    adopted a way of thinking. Indian thought --- karma and rebirth---
    provided him with a system that resolved the western dichotomy of
    heaven and hell, Jesus and Satan, black and white, spirit and flesh.

https://books.google.com/books?id=JvdcDJ2GEVAC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=laloo+howell&source=bl&ots=_JRsuh019C&sig=gTQ7b4tDvZ4vxQ9qNujGTwy70QI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGqLHBmfTLAhUCdh4KHbsdATcQ6AEIHzAB#v=onepage&q=laloo howell&f=false
  • zzombie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Many Lies and half truths have been written about rasta and the Hinduism connection it one of them.

The locs and ital diet are influenced by the nazareth vow not Hinduism.The founders knew about many religions but didn't infuse the beliefs of these religions into rasta.

Jah is not hindi jah is from the bible.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap originated in Greece
  • Bodhi
    edited April 2016
    Options

Reading is fundamental

Searching
    The locs and ital diet are influenced by the nazareth vow not Hinduism.The founders knew about many religions but didn't infuse the beliefs of these religions into rasta.

The Nazarite dietary laws were not vegetarian.
    Not only did Indian food influence Rasta,
    It also influenced the Jamaican culture as a whole, e.g. curry
    Look up Ital...

Along with growing dreadlocks and the sacramental smoking of ? , observing a vegetarian diet is one of the practices early Rastafari adopted from Indian Hindu indentured servants living in Jamaica. Rastafari's unofficial founder Leonard Howell, affectionately called "Gong" and "Gyangunguru Maragh," though not of Indian descent, was fascinated with Hindu practices and was instrumental in promoting a plant-based diet in the Rastafari community of Pinnacle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ital
  • zzombie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    By the way unsurprisingly the whole rasta comes from Hinduism ? theory is originally sourced to an east indian author.

Other races of people love stealing or claiming influence on black culture so before reading or quoting anything from someone named Singh remember that.
  • zzombie
    edited April 2016
    Options

Reading is fundamental

Searching

The Nazarite dietary laws were not vegetarian.
    Not only did Indian food influence Rasta,
    It also influenced the Jamaican culture as a whole, e.g. curry
    Look up Ital...

Along with growing dreadlocks and the sacramental smoking of ? , observing a vegetarian diet is one of the practices early Rastafari adopted from Indian Hindu indentured servants living in Jamaica. Rastafari's unofficial founder Leonard Howell, affectionately called "Gong" and "Gyangunguru Maragh," though not of Indian descent, was fascinated with Hindu practices and was instrumental in promoting a plant-based diet in the Rastafari community of Pinnacle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ital

You learn to read.

I said they were influenced by not copied totally.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    By the way unsurprisingly the whole rasta comes from Hinduism ? theory is originally sourced to an east indian author.

ad hominem
  • Bodhi
    Options

You learn to read.

You said Jah is not Hindi. Nobody
    Said that. Again, reading is fundamental.
  • zzombie
    Options
    You cannot learn the real truth about rasta from Wikipedia.
  • Bodhi
    edited April 2016
    Options

1. We're on the internet
    2. Wikipedia hasn't been my only source. Wikipedia is more credible than you anyway. You might not even be from Jamaica.
  • zzombie
    Options

You learn to read.

Read what you quoted. I said jah is not hindi because what you quoted alluded to people replacing words/using hindi words.
  • zzombie
    Options

1. We're on the internet
    2. Wikipedia hasn't been my only source. Wikipedia is more credible than you anyway. You might not even be from Jamaica.

Your other source get it's information from an east Indian author therefore it's biased

You may be a fat balding Buddhist ? ladyboy from Thailand.
  • Bodhi
    Options

You learn to read.

Read what you quoted. I said jah is not hindi because what you quoted alluded to people replacing words/using hindi words.

giphy.gif

It says Jah is phonetically similar to the Hindi word Jai
    Not that Jah is a Hindi word.
    You said Jah is not a Hindi word
    But nobody said it was.
  • zzombie
    Options
    No jamaicans or even other west indian people on this forum agree with you and Rastafarianism is part of our culture so we are the most qualified to speak on it. Not some African American Buddhist who has never been to Jamaican or been to a groundation.