Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/09/louisiana_lawmaker_saints_shou.html#incart_river_index
    Louisiana lawmaker: New Orleans Saints should lose state support after player protests

Offended by New Orleans Saints players who protested by sitting during the national anthem Sunday (Sept. 24), state House Rep. Kenny Havard, R-Jackson, called for Louisiana's government to pull state funding, tax breaks and other support from Louisiana's professional football franchise.

"Disrespecting our national anthem and flag in the name of social injustice is the highest form of hypocrisy," Havard said in a written statement Monday.

About $165 million of the Saints $1.5 billion value can be attributed to public funding, tax breaks and incentives given to Saints owner Tom Benson each year, according to an analysis The Times-Picayune | NOLA.com conducted in 2016. Benson, Louisiana's richest resident, owes a good portion of his estimated $2.2 billion fortune to his ownership of two professional sports franchises, the Saints and the New Orleans Pelicans, which are both supported with taxpayer money.

"I believe in the right to protest, but not at a taxpayer-subsidized sporting event. Do it on your own time. There are plenty of disabled children, elderly and veterans in this state that would appreciate the money," Havard said.

The 10 Saints who protested were among 150 professional football players around the National Football League who refused to stand for the national anthem Sunday. The demonstrations initially started with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2016. Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem in order to draw attention to brutality against black people and other minorities.

Kaepernick got some support from players last year, though nothing like the demonstrations seen Sunday. Football player protests intensified this past weekend because of comments President Donald Trump made at a campaign rally in Alabama on Friday night.

Trump called on NFL team owners to fire players who refused to stand during the national anthem. The president referred to any player who protests as a "son of a ? " on national television during the Alabama rally.

"Obviously, everybody knows about the president's comments and I'm just trying to support, really, the movement that (Kaepernick) started," said Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro after the Saints game Sunday. "I've always felt like we needed to do something and I didn't want to disrespect anyone."

Right before the Saints game, the team released a statement of behalf of Benson saying players should be allowed to "express their feelings," though Benson feels strongly about honoring the flag. Saints coach Sean Payton said he was proud of all of his players who protested.

Payton said of Trump after the Sunday game: "I want that guy to be one of the smarter guys in the room, and it seems like every time he's opening his mouth it's something that is dividing our country and not pulling us together."
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/09/louisiana_lawmaker_saints_shou.html#incart_river_index
    Louisiana lawmaker: New Orleans Saints should lose state support after player protests

Offended by New Orleans Saints players who protested by sitting during the national anthem Sunday (Sept. 24), state House Rep. Kenny Havard, R-Jackson, called for Louisiana's government to pull state funding, tax breaks and other support from Louisiana's professional football franchise.

"Disrespecting our national anthem and flag in the name of social injustice is the highest form of hypocrisy," Havard said in a written statement Monday.

About $165 million of the Saints $1.5 billion value can be attributed to public funding, tax breaks and incentives given to Saints owner Tom Benson each year, according to an analysis The Times-Picayune | NOLA.com conducted in 2016. Benson, Louisiana's richest resident, owes a good portion of his estimated $2.2 billion fortune to his ownership of two professional sports franchises, the Saints and the New Orleans Pelicans, which are both supported with taxpayer money.

"I believe in the right to protest, but not at a taxpayer-subsidized sporting event. Do it on your own time. There are plenty of disabled children, elderly and veterans in this state that would appreciate the money," Havard said.

The 10 Saints who protested were among 150 professional football players around the National Football League who refused to stand for the national anthem Sunday. The demonstrations initially started with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2016. Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem in order to draw attention to brutality against black people and other minorities.

Kaepernick got some support from players last year, though nothing like the demonstrations seen Sunday. Football player protests intensified this past weekend because of comments President Donald Trump made at a campaign rally in Alabama on Friday night.

Trump called on NFL team owners to fire players who refused to stand during the national anthem. The president referred to any player who protests as a "son of a ? " on national television during the Alabama rally.

"Obviously, everybody knows about the president's comments and I'm just trying to support, really, the movement that (Kaepernick) started," said Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro after the Saints game Sunday. "I've always felt like we needed to do something and I didn't want to disrespect anyone."

Right before the Saints game, the team released a statement of behalf of Benson saying players should be allowed to "express their feelings," though Benson feels strongly about honoring the flag. Saints coach Sean Payton said he was proud of all of his players who protested.

Payton said of Trump after the Sunday game: "I want that guy to be one of the smarter guys in the room, and it seems like every time he's opening his mouth it's something that is dividing our country and not pulling us together."

so punish them by taking away money
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Ok. So, here's an idea. Blacks can stop their activism for Black issues. But so goes the cancer society ? , the Domestic violence ? , make a wish, ronald mcdonald house ? etc etc. If, the NFL should be just a sporting event then no type of activism, advocacy, representation should be allowed.

? need to tweet this

BRAVOOOOOO!!!!!!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i know im ranting but yall dont get tired of this ? ?

while i may live a different type of lifestyle than most but that dont change our issue we face together.

i see the injustice in france, germany and the UK just like i keep an ear to the street in america.

real ? ....they will stand with us...they are watching our moves.

i keep saying american blacks are the head and the worlds blacks is the body.

we can get this right
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-insult-strikes-nerve-with-nfl-players
    Trump’s ‘Son Of A ? ’ Insult Strikes Nerve With NFL Players

(AP) — President Donald Trump struck a nerve with NFL players when he implored team owners to “get that son of a ? off the field” for protesting during the national anthem.

The line drew loud applause at the president’s political rally in Huntsville, Alabama, but the words cut deep into America’s most popular sports league, where the majority of players are black and many grew up in tough neighborhoods, raised by strong women.

“I’m a son of a queen,” an emotional Falcons defensive lineman Grady Jarrett said.

“There are no SOBs in this league,” Lions coach Jim Caldwell said Sunday, when at least 200 NFL players either knelt, sat, stretched or prayed during “The Star-Spangled Banner” to protest Trump’s remarks. Three teams didn’t even take the field until the national anthem was over.

The protest campaign that started last year with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was down to just six players last week. But Trump’s weekend attack on athletes sparked angry reactions from around the sports world and drew defiance from most of the NFL.

He suggested the NFL was going soft for cracking down on big hits. He uninvited the NBA champions Golden State Warriors to the White House after Stephen Curry and other players indicated they weren’t sure they would accept the invitation.

Players, owners and commissioners past and present chastised the president for his divisive remarks, but the angriest responses came from players upset that he’d insulted their mothers.

“Once again, this is a tragedy in this country that we have to sit here and still have these discussions,” Browns rookie quarterback DeShone Kizer said following a 31-28 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. “I know for a fact that I’m no son of a ? , and I plan on continuing forward and doing whatever I can from my position to promote the equality that’s needed in this country.”

After calling for NFL players who protest to be fired, Trump tweeted Sunday that the league should make it mandatory to stand for the national anthem and that fans should shun anyone who doesn’t.

“It just amazes me with everything else going on in this world, especially involving the U.S., that’s what you’re concerned about, my man? You’re the leader of the free world and this is what you’re talking about?” said Dolphins safety Michael Thomas. “So, as a man, as a father, as an African-American man, as somebody in the NFL and one of those ‘sons of ? ,’ yeah, I took it personally.”

The issue reverberated across the Atlantic, where about two dozen players took a knee during the playing of the U.S. anthem at an NFL game between the Ravens and Jaguars in London.

“We stand with our brothers,” Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said. “They have the right, and we knelt with them today. To protest, non-violent protest, is as American as it gets, so we knelt with them today to let them know that we’re a unified front. There ain’t no dividing us. I guess we’re all son-of-a-? .”

Buccaneers wide receivers Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson, who knelt at the Bucs-Vikings game, said Trump’s remarks were especially disturbing when juxtaposed to his recent comments equating white supremacists marching in Charlottesville, Virginia, with counter-protesters.

“Why is he singling out athletes?” Evans asked. “I really don’t really see him tweeting about all the other things going on, the neo-Nazis, the situation in Charlottesville. I don’t really see him talking about that much. But he has the time and the nerve to call out the Golden State Warriors, Stephen Curry, all of us in the NFL that took a knee out of protesting. He has the time to do that? It’s not right.

“And he called us SOBs, so that was very disrespectful.”

Jackson said, “It’s just blatant disrespect. I look at it as my mom’s the queen. (We’re) not sons of any ‘B’s.”

Bills linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said he’ll go back to standing for the anthem next week but was eager to join in the protests Sunday, noting that he supports the military, considers himself a patriot and loves his country.

He said he just wanted to show solidarity with his colleagues “especially in the backdrop of our president making the comments about our players, about their mothers. And then you put that in conjunction with how he tried to gray-area ? and KKK members as being fine people, I had to take a knee.”

Linebacker Brandon Marshall, who hands out winter coats in Denver alongside his mother as part of his charity work, said the Broncos gathered Saturday night to talk about their reaction.

“We talked about the fact that while he called the (white supremacists in) Charlottesville very fine people, but we are sons of ? ,” said Marshall, who received the 2017 Courage Award from the Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Alumni of Color for his stance against social injustice.

Marshall was a college teammate of Kaepernick, who remains unsigned. Many supporters believe teams are avoiding Kaepernick because of his protests.

On Sunday, some Dolphins players wore shirts supporting Kaepernick
    and even league owners and officials stood with players. Almost universally, owners and coaches criticized Trump’s comments.

“For me to single out any particular group of players and call them SOBs, to me, that is insulting and disgraceful,” Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said.“So I think the players deserve credit for what they do. And when it comes to speech they are entitled to speak. And we are entitled to listen. We are entitled to agree or disagree. But we’re not entitled to shut anybody’s speech down.”

ts3oxif727oe.gif
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok. So, here's an idea. Blacks can stop their activism for Black issues. But so goes the cancer society ? , the Domestic violence ? , make a wish, ronald mcdonald house ? etc etc. If, the NFL should be just a sporting event then no type of activism, advocacy, representation should be allowed.

That's the ? that ? me off. You got all these idiot out there calling the NFL players selfish and brat and a bunch of other ? . Do they not know how much a lot of them give money, time, and other things to charity? I promise the average NFL player probably gives more in a year than Trump has given his whole life, and supposedly he has much more money than any of them.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options

while i may live a different type of lifestyle than most but that dont change our issue we face together.

i see the injustice in france, germany and the UK just like i keep an ear to the street in america.

we can get this right

We can but everyone has got to play their part. I think the athletes\entertainers are doing theirs maybe not to every ones liking but nothing is perfect. I think us everyday working folks have got to strengthen our families, make sure we are in good physical health, train with firearms, support Black businesses, and continue to educate ourselves on the nuances of white supremacy and it's ultimate objectives.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

we can get this right

We can but everyone has got to play their part. I think the athletes\entertainers are doing theirs maybe not to every ones liking but nothing is perfect. I think us everyday working folks have gotten to strengthen our families, make sure we are in good physical health, train with firearms, support Black businesses, and continue to educate ourselves on the nuances of white supremacy and it's ultimate objectives.

you right...ill settle down
  • Kwan Dai
    edited September 2017
    Options

That's the ? that ? me off. You got all these idiot out there calling the NFL players selfish and brat and a bunch of other ? . Do they not know how much a lot of them give money, time, and other things to charity? I promise the average NFL player probably gives more in a year than Trump has given his whole life, and supposedly he has much more money than any of them.

There are mandatory charities that players have to participate in I believe.

These polar bears keep missing the point that it's racist to tell another race of people what cultural\community issues should be important to them, what they should support socially, and financially.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Lmao that is hilarious, I can hear him saying that ? right now
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

We need to get this video and every other video like it edited to substitute "whites" every time " we" and "americans" is said.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are mandatory charities that players have to participate in I believe.

These polar bears keep missing the point that it's racist to tell another race of people what cultural\community issues should be important to them, what they should support socially, and financially.

I was talking more about the ones who have their own charitable organizations or personal partnerships with charities. Plus a lot of them do work in their home communities that has nothing to do with the NFL. But yeah, you're definitely right about the other part.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Black people are (slowly) seeing things for what they are Trump's presidency is causing this....

black people been seen it...they seen this ? in the 60s

problem is its more ? now.

how we get more money but turn more ? made?

how we get to own land but can still be told to sit yo ass down.

Maaaaaaaaaaan

if a black chick come up to me today and say ....this is why i date white men....fukk im gonna say?

these ? give up power but quick to flex.

part time thug ass ? .

these ? need to be called out

You mentioned the 60's a time when it was normal for racists to be overt with their bigotry. The white supremacists have changed their strategy and it affectively nullified black people. These days the white supremacists wants to get back to being overt with their racism, they're tired of speaking in code and that seems to coincide with more blacks standing up, more blacks speaking out, and getting out there and making change. Money don't make you free in this system my man.

it can.

there who basis right now is to fire you if you dont comply....
    if i was smart with my money....then its fukk you. my family is good.

but if you trapped in debt and lifestyle....firing you will hold ? at bay like a spkied dog collar

162SPKM.jpg

YANK!
    back in line boy

You think so? If they really wanted to they can take your money away [tsu surf voice]AND THEN WHAT!![/tsu surf]

what you mean take my money away?

how?

if im smart with $500k then you firing me dont matter.

becuz i prepared.

so if i have 2mil..you shouldnt be able to tell me ? .

if you speaking on IRS type ? ....thats different. but even they need a legit reason.

the almighty dollar is speaking louder than black issues.

take control of your money and you can take away the power a person has over you.

Lol at white supremacists needing legit reasons to do anything to black people. Even if you in a benz you still a ? in a coup.

play by the rules an they need to break them to get you.
    dont play by the rules they will break them to get you...but come back to the reason "you didnt play by the rules"

give them as little power as possible and taking your own power back.

so you saying....they buck broke you into not even trying?

YOU were the one that brought money into this, as if money can save you if they really wanted to ? with you. No matter how smart you think you're being, they are in control and can easily take ? away. Does this mean that I'm saying we must lay down? NO. My point is you can't use money as a barometer to prove that white supremacy can't or don't affect you.

who said that?

these guy were threatened with being fired.

what dont you get?

money dont put you above the system but if you handle your ? correctly then you should be able to speak up.

matter of fact......why do you have to be threatened at all?
    since when do ? allow threats to bother them?
    so you saying the rookie in mlb who stood up is stupid? or lebron doing it cuz he got his money already?

what you saying?

anything can be taken....

but standing up to something ...you have to prepare to have the microscope in your ass.

dont make it easy for them.

so what you saying again?
    @5th Letter

I'm talking about black people waking up. You brought up money. What does that have to do with my original point? It seems like you want to create an argument and have me try to debate you on it.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Black people are (slowly) seeing things for what they are Trump's presidency is causing this....

Maaaaaaaaaaan

if a black chick come up to me today and say ....this is why i date white men....fukk im gonna say?

part time thug ass ? .

You mentioned the 60's a time when it was normal for racists to be overt with their bigotry. The white supremacists have changed their strategy and it affectively nullified black people. These days the white supremacists wants to get back to being overt with their racism, they're tired of speaking in code and that seems to coincide with more blacks standing up, more blacks speaking out, and getting out there and making change. Money don't make you free in this system my man.

it can.

but if you trapped in debt and lifestyle....firing you will hold ? at bay like a spkied dog collar

162SPKM.jpg

YANK!
    back in line boy

You think so? If they really wanted to they can take your money away [tsu surf voice]AND THEN WHAT!![/tsu surf]

how?

becuz i prepared.

if you speaking on IRS type ? ....thats different. but even they need a legit reason.

take control of your money and you can take away the power a person has over you.

Lol at white supremacists needing legit reasons to do anything to black people. Even if you in a benz you still a ? in a coup.

dont play by the rules they will break them to get you...but come back to the reason "you didnt play by the rules"

YOU were the one that brought money into this, as if money can save you if they really wanted to ? with you. No matter how smart you think you're being, they are in control and can easily take ? away. Does this mean that I'm saying we must lay down? NO. My point is you can't use money as a barometer to prove that white supremacy can't or don't affect you.

who said that?

what dont you get?

money dont put you above the system but if you handle your ? correctly then you should be able to speak up.

so you saying the rookie in mlb who stood up is stupid? or lebron doing it cuz he got his money already?

what you saying?

but standing up to something ...you have to prepare to have the microscope in your ass.

@5th Letter

I'm talking about black people waking up. You brought up money. What does that have to do with my original point? It seems like you want to create an argument and have me try to debate you on it.

again i brought up money ...cuz it seems to be the control they have.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

Maaaaaaaaaaan

part time thug ass ? .

it can.

162SPKM.jpg

YANK!
    back in line boy

how?

becuz i prepared.

who said that?

what dont you get?

what you saying?

@5th Letter

again i brought up money ...cuz it seems to be the control they have.

It's not relevant to the discussion.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Greg popovich just exposed white privilege...

https://youtu.be/9aWvJFt3mTc