Suge Knight Details Assistance On The Notorious B.I.G.'s "Ready To Die"

Options
RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
While speaking on the influence of West Coast rap,

Knight went on to call out Kris Kross, Da Brat, 50 Cent, and the late Notorious B.I.G.

According to Knight, all of the artists mentioned were heavily influenced by the sound coming out of the West Coast at that time.

The former Death Row Records head says he even let Diddy sample The Chronic for Biggie’s Ready To Die at no cost.

“The West Coast has been dry not because the talent hasn’t been there,” said Knight.

“You’ve got to let these young guys be them. You got Problem, YG, Joe Moses…

you got some real talented [guys]. What usually hurts these guys is that people steal their style and sound before they get famous.

The Dogg Pound was coming out, then all of a sudden Kris Kross starting hanging with them and they started rapping like Daz and Kurupt.

Da Brat started thinking she was Snoop. That’s how she got on. They’re mimicking the sh*t that already been done.

And not knocking 50 [Cent], 50 came out and had an incredible album, but at the same time 50’s record is all West Coast.

If you look at Biggie’s album, Biggie’s album is all West Coast.

The first album. When they did the Biggie album, I helped them with that fu*king record.

I let Puff use every [Chronic] sample on [Ready to Die], the hottest record of all time, and didn’t charge them.

To show some love. Like here. It ain’t sh*t. We do this sh*t like we do.

I don’t care if it’s a Down South record or East Coast record. If it’s successful, it’s a West Coast vibe.”

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should have charged Puff for that Chronic sample.

Ready To Die is going to sell records for the next 50+ years or whenever the copyright expires.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been saying this ? for years..

? come to the west..
    smoke our weed.. soak in our sun rays..
    get turned down by our bad ? ..

and then go back to wherever the ? they from new ? ..

BUT THEN try to ? on the west?!? smmfh

rims.. top down.. popping bottles.. thats all westcoast...

Yea I think everybody out he has been tryna tell everybody this.... ? in the west don't become bigger becuz everybody from other regions comes and takes our ? and runs with it but when we put it out there it gets classified as "too west coast sounding"..….. the masses like the west coast sound they just don't like it coming from west coast artist especially if it's our bay sound
  • RickyRich
    Options
    recently the industry stole that bay sound
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New York ran the table from 1979-1992. You had people like NWA and 2 Live Crew but New York was the Mecca and thats indisputable.

From 1992-1993 I'll admit that the West Coast had a new, different, fresh sound while New York was struggling to come up with some new ideas. From 92-93 New York had Pete Rock and CL Smooth, A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Naughty By Nature and Brand Nubian but they weren't selling like Dre, Snoop or Ice Cube...and later Coolio who went double platinum and won a grammy.

In November 1993 A Tribe Called Quest and Wu Tang dropped albums on the same day (Midnight Marauders and Enter The Wu: 36 Chambers). Snoop dropped ? two weeks later.

My circle of friends preferred Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers, but ? sold 4X plat. In Boston, Award Tour, C.R.E.A.M. and Gin and Juice all got played on daytime radio.

The video shows like Yo! MTV Raps and Rap City showed a mix of East, West and South but later Gang Star, Jeru The Damaja, Nas and eventually Biggie dropped albums. The mixtape game picked up and my friends from New York were bringing back the hottest Doo ? , S&S, DJ Clue, Kid Capri, Ron G and whoever else was poppin on 125th st.

While I must admit that the West Coast sold more from 93-96, there was a mixtape culture in New York City that the rest of the country didn't know about.

Then Bad Boy sold 30 Million records in 1997.

At least thats how I remember it.

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    New York ran the table from 1979-1992. You had people like NWA and 2 Live Crew but New York was the Mecca and thats indisputable.

From 1992-1993 I'll admit that the West Coast had a new, different, fresh sound while New York was struggling to come up with some new ideas. From 92-93 New York had Pete Rock and CL Smooth, A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Naughty By Nature and Brand Nubian but they weren't selling like Dre, Snoop or Ice Cube...and later Coolio who went double platinum and won a grammy.

In November 1993 A Tribe Called Quest and Wu Tang dropped albums on the same day (Midnight Marauders and Enter The Wu: 36 Chambers). Snoop dropped ? two weeks later.

My circle of friends preferred Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers, but ? sold 4X plat. In Boston, Award Tour, C.R.E.A.M. and Gin and Juice all got played on daytime radio.

The video shows like Yo! MTV Raps and Rap City showed a mix of East, West and South but later Gang Star, Jeru The Damaja, Nas and eventually Biggie dropped albums. The mixtape game picked up and my friends from New York were bringing back the hottest Doo ? , S&S, DJ Clue, Kid Capri, Ron G and whoever else was poppin on 125th st.

While I must admit that the West Coast sold more from 93-96, there was a mixtape culture in New York City that the rest of the country didn't know about.

we aint talking about all that tho..
    we talking about ? biting the west while simultaneously trying to ? on it..

NY had all the publications back then and after Pac ? on y'all ? and got popped the West pretty much got blacklisted..
    the West aint never stop bein hard.. but it was always funny to me hearing ? on the radio talking about our lifestyle but when our artist pop that ? we "too west coast" ...the ? !?!?
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »

? come to the west..

Yea I think everybody out he has been tryna tell everybody this.... ? in the west don't become bigger becuz everybody from other regions comes and takes our ? and runs with it but when we put it out there it gets classified as "too west coast sounding"..….. the masses like the west coast sound they just don't like it coming from west coast artist especially if it's our bay sound

Im not a big Bay fan..
    im a Southern Cali ? .. but I know ? who are and they always pointing out how the Bay be getting bitten..
    ? is disgusting..
  • RickyRich
    Options

? come to the west..

Im not a big Bay fan..
    im a Southern Cali ? .. but I know ? who are and they always pointing out how the Bay be getting bitten..
    ? is disgusting..

it really is disgusting cuz the bay has great talent and none of them are getting shine because people are stealing their sound which is ? up . Lowkey west is running hiphop not the south
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have to agree with Suge. Biggie's One More Chance Remix, Big Poppa and hypnotized sound straight up West Coast.

And growing up in the Midwest, more people had love for West first, anything from the Midwest/South second and the East was third (just my personal observation from my peers and what I heard at parties).

Some of the posts on here are correct, a lot of East Coast people ? on the West for no reason especially with the "Rap started in NY" stuff. Yeah, that's true, but Ford was the first to mass produce a car, but that didn't stop Chevy from doing their thing too.

When Kendrick dropped GKMC a lot of East Coast dudes were on boards saying it was soft and weird, but it was a Dope Classic!
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RickyRich wrote: »

? come to the west..

Im not a big Bay fan..
    ? is disgusting..

it really is disgusting cuz the bay has great talent and none of them are getting shine because people are stealing their sound which is ? up . Lowkey west is running hiphop not the south

Eh...wouldn't say that, but everything is Definitely Southern and West Coast influenced in rap today
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I have to agree with Suge. Biggie's One More Chance Remix, Big Poppa and hypnotized sound straight up West Coast.

And growing up in the Midwest, more people had love for West first, anything from the Midwest/South second and the East was third (just my personal observation from my peers and what I heard at parties).

Some of the posts on here are correct, a lot of East Coast people ? on the West for no reason especially with the "Rap started in NY" stuff. Yeah, that's true, but Ford was the first to mass produce a car, but that didn't stop Chevy from doing their thing too.

When Kendrick dropped GKMC a lot of East Coast dudes were on boards saying it was soft and weird, but it was a Dope Classic!

That's the business man in Diddy. He seen what Dre was doing and capitalized off it.
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    Options
    im surprised he didnt say bone , I'm not hatin because bone thugs n harmony is my fav rap group
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    Options
    While speaking on the influence of West Coast rap,

Knight went on to call out Kris Kross, Da Brat, 50 Cent, and the late Notorious B.I.G.

According to Knight, all of the artists mentioned were heavily influenced by the sound coming out of the West Coast at that time.

The former Death Row Records head says he even let Diddy sample The Chronic for Biggie’s Ready To Die at no cost.

“The West Coast has been dry not because the talent hasn’t been there,” said Knight.

“You’ve got to let these young guys be them. You got Problem, YG, Joe Moses…

you got some real talented [guys]. What usually hurts these guys is that people steal their style and sound before they get famous.

The Dogg Pound was coming out, then all of a sudden Kris Kross starting hanging with them and they started rapping like Daz and Kurupt.

Da Brat started thinking she was Snoop. That’s how she got on. They’re mimicking the sh*t that already been done.

And not knocking 50 [Cent], 50 came out and had an incredible album, but at the same time 50’s record is all West Coast.

If you look at Biggie’s album, Biggie’s album is all West Coast.

The first album. When they did the Biggie album, I helped them with that fu*king record.

I let Puff use every [Chronic] sample on [Ready to Die], the hottest record of all time, and didn’t charge them.

To show some love. Like here. It ain’t sh*t. We do this sh*t like we do.

I don’t care if it’s a Down South record or East Coast record. If it’s successful, it’s a West Coast vibe.”

He ain't lying. When Da Brat first came out, I really thought she was signed to DeathRow

She was a female snoop on her first album lol
  • RickyRich
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    So why he ? biggie then?

he had to get even
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    recently the industry stole that bay sound

? been biting the Bay
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

we aint talking about all that tho..
    we talking about ? biting the west while simultaneously trying to ? on it..

NY had all the publications back then and after Pac ? on y'all ? and got popped the West pretty much got blacklisted..
    the West aint never stop bein hard.. but it was always funny to me hearing ? on the radio talking about our lifestyle but when our artist pop that ? we "too west coast" ...the ? !?!?

https://youtu.be/ZhTY_XTgwPY
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? come to the west..

Im not a big Bay fan..
    ? is disgusting..

Eh...wouldn't say that, but everything is Definitely Southern and West Coast influenced in rap today

Some of the souths most popular producers are from the Bay (e.g. Zaytoven) and they carried their sound with them which influences other producers in the south.

I don't know if he ever listened to Mac Dres music but if you listen to Young Dolph, he has a couple of songs that sound like Mac Dre verses. When I heard the first verse on this my first thought was "damn this sound like some Dre ? "
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G_1woo3_KU
  • RickyRich
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    50 Cent said it himself in interviews, if he came out in the 90s with his style and production we all came to know and love, you'd have thought he and Shady were death row artists.

I don't doubt he helped Puff with Ready To Die but you can't take away from the fact that Puff, Big and everyone around the project helped out more to form it into what it ultimately became.

Why u dont belive it cuz it suge ? I dont think he will lie .