Rapper Ranking Project: Rapper #3 - Tupac

Options
123457»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Holla @Sion or @GetoBoy. One of them is supposed to take it over.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your ovaries are showing this YOUR ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

Your ovaries are showing this YOUR ?

lol WTF? It is my ? , which means I reserve the right to walk away from the ? . It ain't that serious. I only do anything on the IC as long as it interests me. There's no point in doing the ? if 50% of the posts are going to be ? ? because their favorite rapper didn't get the score they wanted. If these ? got such a problem with my way, let them do it their way. I'll participate on the same level as everyone else.
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Here are 10 philanthropic facts, you may have not known about Tupac Shakur:

1. TUPAC & JOSHUA

In 1993, Tupac received a letter from the parents of a dying boy, named Joshua. They said it was Joshua’s last wish to meet Tupac. Tupac flew to Maryland to meet Joshua and took him to a basketball game. Soon after Joshua’s death Tupac renamed his publishing company from Ghetto Gospel Music to Joshua’s Dream.

2. TUPAC’S CELEBRITY YOUTH FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Before his death, Tupac was in the works of developing a Celebrity Youth Football League. Each celebrity involved would sponsor a youth sports team, by buying uniforms and hiring a staff of coaches.

3. A PLACE CALLED HOME

Tupac put together a benefit concert to help a growing non-profit organization, A Place Called Home, raise money for a new building. Founded in 1993, A Place Called Home is a safe haven in South Central LA where at risk youth are empowered to take ownership of the quality and direction of their lives through programs in education.
    http://www.apch.org/

4. TUPAC’S SPECIAL BBQ

Through his bodyguard, Tupac heard about a 14-year old girl who was paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair after a terrible car accident. Tupac called the Make-A-Wish Foundation to inquire about this little girl. During the phone call, Pac learned the girl was scheduled to meet her celebrity idol, but the celebrity canceled just before the meeting date. Tupac stepped in and flew the girl and her aunt to California to join him on the set of “Gridlock’d.”
    Afterwards he took them to the recording studio and later hosted a personal BBQ cookout at his house in honor of her.
    Tupac later donated a brand new audio system to her school.

5. TUPAC GOES TO THE PROM

A Tupac fan wrote a letter to his fan club, asking the late rapper to be her prom date. About a month later, Tupac showed up at her doorstep. He came inside the home and talked to her family and offered to purchase her prom dress & ? her to the dance. Before leaving her home, Tupac gave the family $1500.

When her prom day came, Tupac arrived in a limo to pick up his fan. At the school function Tupac signed autographs, took photos, and even got on the dance floor with her for five songs before he left.

6. TUPAC RACES TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM

During a promo tour stop in Washington, DC, as Tupac was on his way back to the airport, he heard on the radio about a young girl who was in the emergency room after being attacked and mauled by a dog. Tupac told the driver to turn around and take him to the hospital where the young girl was located. He stayed with her and her family until she fully recovered.

7. TUPAC STARTS PETITION TO KEEP COMMUNITY CENTER OPEN

In his early teens, Tupac solicited people to sign a petition to keep a community recreation center open. After accumulating a significant number of signatures the building was torn down anyway in spite of his efforts. This experience helped cultivate Tupac’s vision for a center that would provide a positive environment where young people could learn skills and performing arts. He wanted to call the center Thug Mansion. After his early death, his mother maintained the vision by opening the Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation in Stone Mountain, Georgia.

8. PUSHED UNITY BEYOND SO-CALLED EAST COAST/WEST COAST BEEF

Tupac was often accused of instigating war between coasts, but there’s plenty evidence to the contrary. In 1996, Pac invited the Boot Camp Clik, the Brooklyn Hip-Hop collective, to record The One Nation album at his summer mansion. The album has never been released, but the effort was definitely there before his death. Furthermore, Pac had rock solid relationships with East Coast folks like Busta Rhymes and Treach from Naughty By Nature. Not exactly philanthropy, but definitely for the greater good.

9. TUPAC’S PARTNERSHIP WITH J COLE

He may not be here in the flesh, but his work continues on.

The Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation and J Cole’s Dreamville Foundation recently joined forces and started a youth book club in North Carolina. The first book read and discussed was, A Rose that Grew from Concrete. Tupac’s non-profit organization recently celebrated 15 years of serving the community. The center teaches vocal training, ballet, jazz, recording & engineering, theater and creative writing. The nonprofit is still spearheaded by Afeni Shakur. Other family members including Tupac’s sister are active volunteers and staff.

10. TUPAC’S C.O.D.E FOUNDATION

From June 1994 to April 2002, Ms. Erica Ford ran Tupac’s Code Foundation even after the rapper had passed away. Erica, Tupac, and his stepfather Mutulu Shakur, established The Code in 1994. The mission was simply to keep young people out of jail and to decrease “Black on Black” crime.

TO DONATE TO THE TUPAC AMARU FOUNDATION PLEASE VISIT:
    http://www.crowdrise.com/TupacAmaruShakurFoundation

You forgot to mention that Tupac could walk on water and part the seas

I'm just showing people the difference between A sayer, and A doer"
    Clearly 2pac said A lot.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All that Said and Done one way to insure a higher degree of Objectivity is to average out the votes. I would never say one person cannot be objective but with the dynamics of this site and the whole point of a message board the Law of Averages removes another layer from any criticism because it incorporates multiple individuals objectivity. Without using an averaging process it is simply your Objective opinion and whatever factors may have influenced your thought process...

This is wrong for two very obvious reasons. The Law of Averages applies to situations where the outcomes are equally likely like the flip of a coin or the roll of die. For it to apply to this situation, you'd have to assume that biased positive scores are equally likely to biased negative scores, that when you apply the average they would cancel each other out and the relatively objective scores would win out. There is no reason to believe that is the case. In fact when you look at what's happened in the three topics so far, we know for a fact it's not true. There have been plenty of "So and So is the GOAT, he gets all 5s." There haven't been any "So and So is wack, he gets all 3s" as far as I've seen. So clearly, the fanboyish post are more likely than the hater posts.

The second reason is actually more damning. Even if all outcomes in this case were likely, the Law of Averages specifically applies to large sample sets. In each of these topics we have gotten 20 or less sets of scores, that's not a large sample, certainly not large enough to eliminate the effect of large outliers. Once again, a simple average is not a good way of dealing with a skewed data set.

All that Said and Done one way to insure a higher degree of Objectivity is to average out the votes. I would never say one person cannot be objective but with the dynamics of this site and the whole point of a message board the Law of Averages removes another layer from any criticism because it incorporates multiple individuals objectivity. Without using an averaging process it is simply your Objective opinion and whatever factors may have influenced your thought process...

This is wrong for two very obvious reasons. The Law of Averages applies to situations where the outcomes are equally likely like the flip of a coin or the roll of die. For it to apply to this situation, you'd have to assume that biased positive scores are equally likely to biased negative scores, that when you apply the average they would cancel each other out and the relatively objective scores would win out. There is no reason to believe that is the case. In fact when you look at what's happened in the three topics so far, we know for a fact it's not true. There have been plenty of "So and So is the GOAT, he gets all 5s." There haven't been any "So and So is wack, he gets all 3s" as far as I've seen. So clearly, the fanboyish post are more likely than the hater posts.

The second reason is actually more damning. Even if all outcomes in this case were likely, the Law of Averages specifically applies to large sample sets. In each of these topics we have gotten 20 or less sets of scores, that's not a large sample, certainly not large enough to eliminate the effect of large outliers. Once again, a simple average is not a good way of dealing with a skewed data set. We can do this all day man. About 40% of what I do at work is statistical analysis and another 20% is serving on technical review boards. This is how I know that a lot of this ya'll are suggesting is now how things are done when you're trying to objective assess something.
    In this lies the issue most are having because even Though you may feel your opinion is objective it is still your opinion and view on objectivity that is based on your worldview and understandings. The average takes into account that opinion components and makes its impact nominal as it objectively looks past ones worldview to find a center road that each facet related to a perception is connected to...

I've always admitted there is a small level of judgement call here that is going to require some subjectivity. My point has been that you can't eliminate that through an average or a panel of people. It's always going to be there. And again, my purpose was never to judge anything, only to moderate. However, if no one is going to vote, then I had to make a judgement, and I just myself better to be objective than people who come in here saying that a rapper is their favorite rapper.

law of av·er·ag·es
    noun
    noun: law of averages

the principle that supposes most future events are likely to balance any past deviation from a presumed average.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

The second reason is actually more damning. Even if all outcomes in this case were likely, the Law of Averages specifically applies to large sample sets. In each of these topics we have gotten 20 or less sets of scores, that's not a large sample, certainly not large enough to eliminate the effect of large outliers. Once again, a simple average is not a good way of dealing with a skewed data set.

The second reason is actually more damning. Even if all outcomes in this case were likely, the Law of Averages specifically applies to large sample sets. In each of these topics we have gotten 20 or less sets of scores, that's not a large sample, certainly not large enough to eliminate the effect of large outliers. Once again, a simple average is not a good way of dealing with a skewed data set. We can do this all day man. About 40% of what I do at work is statistical analysis and another 20% is serving on technical review boards. This is how I know that a lot of this ya'll are suggesting is now how things are done when you're trying to objective assess something.
    In this lies the issue most are having because even Though you may feel your opinion is objective it is still your opinion and view on objectivity that is based on your worldview and understandings. The average takes into account that opinion components and makes its impact nominal as it objectively looks past ones worldview to find a center road that each facet related to a perception is connected to...

I've always admitted there is a small level of judgement call here that is going to require some subjectivity. My point has been that you can't eliminate that through an average or a panel of people. It's always going to be there. And again, my purpose was never to judge anything, only to moderate. However, if no one is going to vote, then I had to make a judgement, and I just myself better to be objective than people who come in here saying that a rapper is their favorite rapper.

law of av·er·ag·es
    noun
    noun: law of averages

the principle that supposes most future events are likely to balance any past deviation from a presumed average.

lol My ? did you just try to make your case with the dictionary definition of a flawed pseudo mathematical principle?

I tried to be nice and keep my response to you simple, but if you want to be real about it. Nobody who knows what they are talking about uses the Law of Averages in real discussion because it's not even a real law. It's an oversimplification of the Law of Large Numbers.
    The above are examples of the law of averages. The law of averages is a false belief, sometimes known as the 'gambler's fallacy,' that is derived from the law of large numbers. We'll get to that in a second! The law of averagesis a spurious generalization that makes the assumption that if any deviations in expected probability occur with a small number of consecutive experiments, that they will certainly have to 'average out' sooner rather than later.

The law of averages is based on the law of large numbers, which is an actual law! The law of large numbers is a proven law that states that any deviations in expected probability will 'average' or 'even' out after numerous (and we're talking hundreds or thousands) experimental trials.

http://study.com/academy/lesson/law-of-averages-definition-formula.html

It is only valid for a select group of circumstances, and these topics are not among those.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    A couple of my meetings got cancelled, so today is going to be a slow day at work for me. In light of that and the fact that the ? that thought they could do it better didn't pick it up, I'll continue. The next rapper is Nas.

To finalize here, I'm upping Pac's Subject Matter to a 5 because of arguments made, so his final score is 37.5. I'm not changing the Storytelling score. Those arguing for that supported their arguments with songs that largely weren't stories. The legitimate stories they provided demonstrated that he was a very good storyteller, but he didn't tell many full blown stories especially when you consider how much material he has in general. Further, his stories lack the detail, diversity, and creativity seen in the stories from the elite storytellers.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monk never listened to a lot of Pac's music that's for sure
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »

lol I have a lot of Pac's music. Why do you think I haven't listened to it just because I don't agree with you?
  • Weazel
    Options

lol I have a lot of Pac's music. Why do you think I haven't listened to it just because I don't agree with you?

Reading between the lines ain't that hard
    This thread made it clear to me that you barely know Pac's body of work

And yeah, you can buy ?
    But to know it, you should listen to it.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And yeah, you can buy ?

What do you disagree with?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread just proves that people who are obsessed with 2Pac can't accept that everybody isn't obsessed with 2Pac.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

And yeah, you can buy ?

lol These ? are being ridiculous. They are wrongly categorizing tracks as being stories. Now this ? talking about reading between the lines. How do you hide a whole narrative between the lines?
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And yeah, you can buy ?

lol These ? are being ridiculous. They are wrongly categorizing tracks as being stories. Now this ? talking about reading between the lines. How do you hide a whole narrative between the lines?

I could be wrong but I don't think that's what he was talking about with statement.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Well I'm not sure what else he could be talking about because the main thing people have been arguing about is his storytelling. The only other major contention was subject matter, and I upped him to perfect on that.
  • Weazel
    Options
    Jonah 2.0 wrote: »

And yeah, you can buy ?

I could be wrong but I don't think that's what he was talking about with statement.

You sir, are totally right.