Straight Black Men Are the White People of Black People

Options

Comments

• Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options

some feminist/women rights activists might tend to extrapolate the blame to all men owing to the bad experiences they had to go through. this is not in any way, to be confused with what feminism stands for. the latter advocates equality for both sexes, not misanthropy towards men

unfortunately controversy sales so the aforementioned activist tend to get more attention at times

that said, you claim i'm not making some kind of statement about what happens at these events in general based on those experiences alone....but then admit based largely off that one experience you'd never attend another

not only that you see no purpose in attended another...though you have daughters

and in another thread didn't you admit that you hadn't read much feminist literature or have very few face to face interactions with feminists?

i say this to ask how could you possibly be so sure of what you are saying is true?

smh

but ok monk lol

you probably won't believe me

but i've had totally different experiences the rallies i've attended

the close to a dozen women rallies i've attended ...few of em were trash. most of em were cool as hell. the few of which i've attended with male family members and friends were especially enlightening. the men even walked away with a positive outlook on what it means to be feminist

*shrugs*

I did say I haven't read much feminist literature. I never said I haven't heard feminists speak on matters or that I haven't had much personal interactions with feminists. I have in both of those cases which largely why I feel the way I do about feminism. Now combine that with that one rally, and why would you think that I'd feel the need to go to another one?

I damn sure wouldn't take my daughters to one because I don't want them thinking like those chicks. They've got a lot of strong and successful women in their lives. I'd much rather my daughters soak up knowledge and experience from them than have them go to a rally where they will basically be beaten unless they agree that men are anything less than evil incarnate.

And of course you've had different experiences at rallies because 1) You're a woman and 2) You're a feminist. You're not going to perceive things the same way as men do, so I completely believe that every rally you've been to was a different experience than what I had. As for your male friends and relatives, I can't say anything about that. I don't know them, I didn't go to those rallies, and I don't how much you were able to navigate them or shield them from the unpleasantness. Are there some good and productive feminist rallies? Probably, but I don't see why I should have to play craps with my time in that manner. I can find other ways to look out for my girls.

how many personal interactions/convos have you had face to face with a blk woman who self identifies as a feminist or womanist ?

yes, being that you are a man you're not going to perceive things the same way as i do

so wouldn't you also agree that makes you a bit biased as well

just reading your post i think a lot of the talk of misogyny and toxic masculinity you hear you automatically equivalate with male bashing lol

and these rallies aren't just echo chambers that serve no purpose... a lot of networking is going on.... voter registration drives... talks concerning policies that could potentially effect your daughters' and their mother's future...by extension your future

but whatever....

don't play craps ...it's your time lol

• Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »
    I'ma throw this out here.

I think the first step to resolving issues raised in this thread is to take a step back and understand we've been broken as a community. Our family structure got shot to hell in the 80's. A large portion of us never had a good example of a black male/female interaction. Instead what we got was bitterness toward the opposite sex passed down to us. Now we have such a difficult time associating to one another.

It's like some psychological ? . We have a bad tendency to put the faces of those who wronged us onto the faces of others we meet who may not even have the same traits.

Sistas, yall want us to listen? Ok cool. Make some adjustments? We get it.

Now yall also have to help by holding other women accountable for the actions they take to contribute to the concerns yall have. Yall can't expect us to check our fellow brothas if yall want to make excuses for your fellow sista. That also applies to being more selective of the men yall chose to give yourselves to.

We can't stop the fleas if yall keep letting the dog back in the house.

i'm doing my part

like to see more blk men do there's

which is easier said than done when so many even you are downplaying or trying to invalidate our feelings

*shrugs*
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    CapitalB wrote: »
    Serious question:

how are black women supposed to go about alerting black men that there are problems within our community and we don't feel heard?

simple,
    get a man.

aint nobody tryin to hear yo ? less u ? .
    You had absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread except calling me a ? . Are you done yet?
    Yeah.... black men aren't misogynistic or anything.

but i aint even call u a ? this time..
    i was actually tellin u plain and simple how to solve ur issue..

but true to form u ? love to take the difficult route..

im skimmin through comments and hear yall griping about men hittin on to u.. havin to walk late at night scared or some ? ..

bet if u had a ? other ? wouldnt see a green light. bet u wouldnt be walkin at night if u had a ? ..

all the ? u in here u pouring ur feelings out to i bet u they ? aint got ur problems or concerns..

u know why?? cause aint no real ? about to watch his girl go through it.

oh.. but gettin a man would require not bein a ? so thats a nogo for u right?? lol
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Serious question:

how are black women supposed to go about alerting black men that there are problems within our community and we don't feel heard?

We hear your concerns, yes black men street harass black women, yes black men ? black women, yes black men abuse black women both verbally and physically. We hear those concerns and now that we hear them what are some solutions how can black men collectively fix these issues?

okay just for you understand where I'm coming from, is it black people's responsibility to tell white people how to fix racism? Does it start with black people? So does sexism and misogyny, and violence towards women start with women?

So black people don't come up with solutions for the dominant society to help fix racism and white supremacy? We have decades of proof of black people voicing concerns and giving solutions. When you've had problems with your s/o you've never offered a solution? If you feel like black women aren't being heard, that's fine that's a valid opinion. So now that this specific black man is listening to your concerns, I hear them and I'm now asking what are some solutions? Madame said she offered solutions which are buried in long titangraphs throughout this thread, but at least she offered some. Come up with solutions and we can begin to try to fix the problems.

I offered one. Check these useless ? .

That's fair.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima say this...seems like the women in this thread dont want blunt honesty from men. They want u answer all nice for them to actually recognize ur point. Tl.. The Lonious Monk tap dancing on eggshells in long paragraphs just so a simple point is heard... but women talking slick all in the thread.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

You had absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread except calling me a ? . Are you done yet?

im skimmin through comments and hear yall griping about men hittin on to u.. havin to walk late at night scared or some ? ..

bet if u had a ? other ? wouldnt see a green light. bet u wouldnt be walkin at night if u had a ? ..

all the ? u in here u pouring ur feelings out to i bet u they ? aint got ur problems or concerns..

oh.. but gettin a man would require not bein a ? so thats a nogo for u right?? lol

I.have.a.man.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread needs some bullet points... and succinctness.

What specific problems yall talmbout between Black men and women because that article and it's title / premise is ? to me ?

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ok..ok

you make some good points

think a lot gets lost in translation though

but in regards to blk men being the face of police brutality think the main concern for some women is that it puts blk women into a false sense of security

and when a blk woman is gunned down or assaulted it doesn't garner the same media attention and support which is important considering public vigilance/ pressure is what gets a lot of these types of cases to trial and local laws changed

it is also disheartening to see the lack of concern or outrage from men when that state allows ? kits to go untested....

All that's fair, and I certainly think women are right to speak up when they want attention put on their side of issues. I just think that can be done without chastising people for putting attention on the men issues. I think some of you are just passionate about these issues, which you should be, but you don't always direct that passion in the most productive way.
    lol

we do when given the platform

and how many feminist sites do you frequent

check my screen name

I'm not talking about what you guys do in your special interest groups or websites. If you want the general public to understand something, you need to make it publicly available. If you capture the attention then you can direct us to the bigger repositories. Basically, what I was getting at was that when we have these discussions, it would be a lot more productive for you guys to present the knowledge rather than bash us for not having the knowledge. Sometimes you do, but most often you just criticize us for not seeing things the way you do.
    how many personal interactions/convos have you had face to face with a blk woman who self identifies as a feminist or womanist ?

yes, being that you are a man you're not going to perceive things the same way as i do

so wouldn't you also agree that makes you a bit biased as well

just reading your post i think a lot of the talk of misogyny and toxic masculinity you hear you automatically equivalate with male bashing lol

and these rallies aren't just echo chambers that serve no purpose... a lot of networking is going on.... voter registration drives... talks concerning policies that could potentially effect your daughters' and their mother's future...by extension your future

but whatever....

don't play craps ...it's your time lol

I used to have convos all the time with black feminists in college and grad school (same with afrocentrists). I don't have those convos as much anymore because I'm not in that kind of setting anymore. And I absolutely am biased and there are points that I disagree on with you for no better reason than I'm a man, I have my views of what a man should be, and I don't want to change those views. I'm certainly not above stubborness or pig headedness. At times those traits define my character.

I don't necessarily think that all discussion of those topics equate to male bashing. However, I do think there is a fine line between discussing toxic masculinity and declaring that masculinity is toxic, and in my opinion, feminists do a poor job of staying on the right side of that line.

And send me a pamphlet or a site that would keep me abreast of those issues in case there is something I can do to help. ? them rallies though. To be fair, I'm not much of a rally person to begin with though, so it ain't just that they are feminist rallies. lol
  • CapitalB
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

i said "real ? " which translate into "REAL Man"
    and u aint got one of those..

u aint gettin real ? either. lmmfao
  • Westie
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

Yup. I trust a ? 's definition of a real man.
  • CapitalB
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

nah..
    dont trust my definition..

all i do is protect.. lead.. educate.. and empower women..
    take those wit nothin and show them how to have everything..

i wouldnt know ? about this subject..

trust ur preacher! lmmfao
    im sure he got a prayer for u.

i was also raised by ny stepfather since an infant..
    i watched that man take care of his women.. my mother and provide for his kids.. even one that wasnt his.

was u raised by ur father??
    OR or any positive male figure??!

u ever see ur mother get treated like a lady??

ill wait..
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the first step to resolving issues raised in this thread is to take a step back and understand we've been broken as a community. Our family structure got shot to hell in the 80's. A large portion of us never had a good example of a black male/female interaction. Instead what we got was bitterness toward the opposite sex passed down to us. Now we have such a difficult time associating to one another.

It's like some psychological ? . We have a bad tendency to put the faces of those who wronged us onto the faces of others we meet who may not even have the same traits.

Now yall also have to help by holding other women accountable for the actions they take to contribute to the concerns yall have. Yall can't expect us to check our fellow brothas if yall want to make excuses for your fellow sista. That also applies to being more selective of the men yall chose to give yourselves to.

i'm doing my part

which is easier said than done when so many even you are downplaying or trying to invalidate our feelings

*shrugs*

When did I invalidate your feelings? From the start I've pointed out there are black men who do what you describe and the fact that I nor any black man I know tolerate that ? . I'm also raising my sons to not tolerate that as well as teaching my daughters not to accept it nor make excuses for women who contribute to these problems. Believe it or not there are plenty.

I may not have attended any feminist rallies, but I have shown up to speak up for my sistas when the mayor of Warren called black women chimps. Ironically, most of the black women there were defending that ? saying he was being setup. Imagine how confused I was. There was some bootlicking brothas there too. I was utterly disgusted.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

https://youtu.be/VvYIpa1Ulvw
  • Westie
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

nah..

i watched that man take care of his women..

was u raised by ur father or any positive male figure??!

ill wait..
    Flagged for the preacher comment i don't do organized religion.

• Westie
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Ima say this...seems like the women in this thread dont want blunt honesty from men. They want u answer all nice for them to actually recognize ur point. Tl.. The Lonious Monk tap dancing on eggshells in long paragraphs just so a simple point is heard... but women talking slick all in the thread.

Lmao blunt honesty? Foh this ? is feelings and regret with a strong dose of misogyny. Monk is only one of a couple not bleeding in this thread.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

nah..

ill wait..

? i asked u a question.
  • Westie
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

nah..

ill wait..

? i asked u a question.

Let me explain myself real quick hold on.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lmao blunt honesty? Foh this ? is feelings and regret with a strong dose of misogyny. Monk is only one of a couple not bleeding in this thread.

Naw he talking all nice over explaining simple ? cuz of ur feelings... the only reason u acknowledging asny point he made is cuz he had to neuter himself and talk in long paragraphs nicely on eggshells.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sick of this "but but but black women get treated the worst" ? . It divides us as a people and usually generates from man hating ? or ? ass dudes raised by man hating ? .

I don't know any black man that would argue that our sisters don't have it as hard as us, we in this ? together. However we are attacked on different fronts, in different ways. The only thing we should be doing is trying to build together instead of trying to make enemies out of each other. The problem is there's a large segment of our sisters who want attention and control. So they make us out to be on par with the white man's evilness.
    Lmfao
    ironic. Post is ironic.

Doesn't make it any less true. And I'll say the same thing about black men who hate black women simply out of their experiences with the bad ones they've chosen. It goes both way but here we're talking about the monster we are being made out to be by our own community.

yes or no - are there black men who are monsters?

Of course. But are all or even the vast majority? This article seems to try and insinuate that.

okay I didn't interpret that. My whole point is there are many black men Who don't give a ? about issues that are concerning black women, ? black people, trans black people. Anything that doesn't fit into their straight male box. A lot like white people. That's all I'm saying. that doesn't mean that it's all black men or most black men or half of black men their means that there is a population that doesn't really give a ? about the rest of black people.

So if it's not all, most or even half then why is this being constantly pushed?

blk women have to take a look in the mirror as well

that said, yes, not all blk men are misogynistic or sexist or violent woman beaters ...that is not the argument

the issue is when we try to speak on misogyny and issues that impact blk women specifically , our concerns are met with push back or dismissed or we are met with silence

primarily silence

for example, i rarely have observed blk men speak out against the misogyny within our society or even within their own circle

but there is an argument to be made that while you may not be misogynistic " allowing our cousins and brothers and co-workers and friends to use misogynistic language propagates that culture of danger for blk women."

Misogyny is a male issue, not a black male issue. And the fact that you and your gang keep trying to make it out to be one; and only hold black men accountable for it in context, is honestly frustrating to deal with.

Its easier to just dismiss it and keep it moving.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

40d0e07b5a0af14b2e6b93189cfe833ae1b9df2cce72b39583fd23658babfb1f.jpg
  • Westie
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

I.have.a.man.

40d0e07b5a0af14b2e6b93189cfe833ae1b9df2cce72b39583fd23658babfb1f.jpg

tenor.gif

You caught me.
  • Westie
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    I'm sick of this "but but but black women get treated the worst" ? . It divides us as a people and usually generates from man hating ? or ? ass dudes raised by man hating ? .

I don't know any black man that would argue that our sisters don't have it as hard as us, we in this ? together. However we are attacked on different fronts, in different ways. The only thing we should be doing is trying to build together instead of trying to make enemies out of each other. The problem is there's a large segment of our sisters who want attention and control. So they make us out to be on par with the white man's evilness.
    Lmfao
    ironic. Post is ironic.

Doesn't make it any less true. And I'll say the same thing about black men who hate black women simply out of their experiences with the bad ones they've chosen. It goes both way but here we're talking about the monster we are being made out to be by our own community.

yes or no - are there black men who are monsters?

Of course. But are all or even the vast majority? This article seems to try and insinuate that.

okay I didn't interpret that. My whole point is there are many black men Who don't give a ? about issues that are concerning black women, ? black people, trans black people. Anything that doesn't fit into their straight male box. A lot like white people. That's all I'm saying. that doesn't mean that it's all black men or most black men or half of black men their means that there is a population that doesn't really give a ? about the rest of black people.

So if it's not all, most or even half then why is this being constantly pushed?

blk women have to take a look in the mirror as well

that said, yes, not all blk men are misogynistic or sexist or violent woman beaters ...that is not the argument

the issue is when we try to speak on misogyny and issues that impact blk women specifically , our concerns are met with push back or dismissed or we are met with silence

primarily silence

for example, i rarely have observed blk men speak out against the misogyny within our society or even within their own circle

but there is an argument to be made that while you may not be misogynistic " allowing our cousins and brothers and co-workers and friends to use misogynistic language propagates that culture of danger for blk women."

Misogyny is a male issue, not a black male issue. And the fact that you and your gang keep trying to make it out to be one; and only hold black men accountable for it in context, is honestly frustrating to deal with.

Its easier to just dismiss it and keep it moving.

Nobody said that. Of course it's a male issue. Furthermore, alllll this ? stems from white supremacy. But we're here now, so why is it a problem to discuss black issues with black men?
  • Westie
    Options

Naw he talking all nice over explaining simple ? cuz of ur feelings... the only reason u acknowledging asny point he made is cuz he had to neuter himself and talk in long paragraphs nicely on eggshells.

You aren't reading his posts.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I ain't tap dancing. I'm just not being insulting. I don't take this ? personally, so I don't feel the need to lash out at them like a scorned hoe.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

i'm doing my part

*shrugs*

When did I invalidate your feelings? From the start I've pointed out there are black men who do what you describe and the fact that I nor any black man I know tolerate that ? . I'm also raising my sons to not tolerate that as well as teaching my daughters not to accept it nor make excuses for women who contribute to these problems. Believe it or not there are plenty.

I may not have attended any feminist rallies, but I have shown up to speak up for my sistas when the mayor of Warren called black women chimps. Ironically, most of the black women there were defending that ? saying he was being setup. Imagine how confused I was. There was some bootlicking brothas there too. I was utterly disgusted.

i wasn't just specifically referring to just my own feelings

but from the start I've maintained that I and others feel their aren't enough blk men, men period, who are respectful of women and supportive of women's issues

many of you are also dismissive ..including yourself

how?

just a few posts ago you said this thread confirmed for you that "there's a segment of black women who just basically want to find something to champion" and are "regurgitating" other ppl's words

the author of the article was a blk man and the only blk women who have been commenting in this thread is really just me and @Westie

so ....yea

good for you for attending the rally...