Straight Black Men Are the White People of Black People

Options

Comments

• gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    gorilla wrote: »
    I'm sick of this "but but but black women get treated the worst" ? . It divides us as a people and usually generates from man hating ? or ? ass dudes raised by man hating ? .

I don't know any black man that would argue that our sisters don't have it as hard as us, we in this ? together. However we are attacked on different fronts, in different ways. The only thing we should be doing is trying to build together instead of trying to make enemies out of each other. The problem is there's a large segment of our sisters who want attention and control. So they make us out to be on par with the white man's evilness.

Malcolm X made that comment that Black women are the most unprotected and mistreated woman in America.

But did he say that treatment came at the hands of black men? And don't get it twisted, I agree with what he's saying in the context which he said it.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question:

how are black women supposed to go about alerting black men that there are problems within our community and we don't feel heard?
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread reinforces 2 things for me:

1. There's a segment of black women who just basically want to find something to champion even if it means exaggerating that thing. And these same women usually talk in circles or regurgitate what they've heard other women say on some bandwagon ? cuz ppl love to be a part of something. They also get pissy and start throwing fits when their point of view is challenged or simply not agreed with.

2. When talking about issues black women face (which the majority are the same as what black men face so we SHOULD be on the same page) it seems as though the goal is to point a finger and guilt black men into agreement, not to have a constructive discussion to yield possible solutions.

Several times yall have admitted to the fact that not all,majority or half of black men contribute to your claims. Which can only mean there's a large portion (dare I say majority?) of black men who treat their sistas with respect and demand the same of other brothas. So what more can we do? There will never not be people on both sides who mistreat the opposite. Especially when a lot of times those are the men yall choose to interact with because you're not attracted to dudes who are "too nice"

who here is throwing a pissy fit but the hand full of male posters who resorted to name calling and personal attacks because they couldn't produce a coherent counter argument? lol

smh

i was trying to actually have a respectful, adult convo with you trying to explain what our grievances are, at least mine, but you come back with this???
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    Serious question:

how are black women supposed to go about alerting black men that there are problems within our community and we don't feel heard?

We hear your concerns, yes black men street harass black women, yes black men ? black women, yes black men abuse black women both verbally and physically. We hear those concerns and now that we hear them what are some solutions how can black men collectively fix these issues?
  • gorilla
    edited September 2017
    Options
    This thread reinforces 2 things for me:

1. There's a segment of black women who just basically want to find something to champion even if it means exaggerating that thing. And these same women usually talk in circles or regurgitate what they've heard other women say on some bandwagon ? cuz ppl love to be a part of something. They also get pissy and start throwing fits when their point of view is challenged or simply not agreed with.

2. When talking about issues black women face (which the majority are the same as what black men face so we SHOULD be on the same page) it seems as though the goal is to point a finger and guilt black men into agreement, not to have a constructive discussion to yield possible solutions.

Several times yall have admitted to the fact that not all,majority or half of black men contribute to your claims. Which can only mean there's a large portion (dare I say majority?) of black men who treat their sistas with respect and demand the same of other brothas. So what more can we do? There will never not be people on both sides who mistreat the opposite. Especially when a lot of times those are the men yall choose to interact with because you're not attracted to dudes who are "too nice"

who here is throwing a pissy fit but the hand full of male posters who resorted to name calling and personal attacks because they couldn't produce a coherent counter argument? lol

smh

i was trying to actually have a respectful, adult convo with you trying to explain what our grievances are, at least mine, but you come back with this???

Our exchange has been that and I wasn't referring to you so chill

You haven't thrown a hissy fit, but sound like you was on the verge just now lol (I'm joking with you)

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question:

Ummm try voicing those concerns in a way that doesn't come off as an attack. Few people respond well to that.

That ? chick is a good example of what's wrong. She might have had good points, and she might have had good knowledge. But the only thing she ever did was attack us. She constantly came here talking about black men ain't ? and we needed to shut up and move aside and on and on. Who exactly is going to listen to that? You can't post a video after that and expect anyone to listen to it with an open mind.

I remember once there was a topic on here about appreciation for black women and natural hair. That chick came in there and blew that ? up. She was like "? ya'll, you don't like Grade 1 curls. Ya'll just worship certain women and hate most black women. Blah blah blah" A bunch of other women came into the topic egging her on and boosting her up. Why would any guy in that topic ever take any of you serious again after that ? ?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sick of this "but but but black women get treated the worst" ? . It divides us as a people and usually generates from man hating ? or ? ass dudes raised by man hating ? .

I don't know any black man that would argue that our sisters don't have it as hard as us, we in this ? together. However we are attacked on different fronts, in different ways. The only thing we should be doing is trying to build together instead of trying to make enemies out of each other. The problem is there's a large segment of our sisters who want attention and control. So they make us out to be on par with the white man's evilness.

Malcolm X made that comment that Black women are the most unprotected and mistreated woman in America.

But did he say that treatment came at the hands of black men? And don't get it twisted, I agree with what he's saying in the context which he said it.

We are not the only abusers of course, but collectively we have allowed abuse of black women. When it comes to positivity of black men we say us, but when it is negative we say individual. We have to be consistent of that matter. Change in how we think and become better people.
  • Westie
    Options
    Serious question:

Ummm try voicing those concerns in a way that doesn't come off as an attack. Few people respond well to that.

That ? chick is a good example of what's wrong. She might have had good points, and she might have had good knowledge. But the only thing she ever did was attack us. She constantly came here talking about black men ain't ? and we needed to shut up and move aside and on and on. Who exactly is going to listen to that? You can't post a video after that and expect anyone to listen to it with an open mind.

I remember once there was a topic on here about appreciation for black women and natural hair. That chick came in there and blew that ? up. She was like "? ya'll, you don't like Grade 1 curls. Ya'll just worship certain women and hate most black women. Blah blah blah" A bunch of other women came into the topic egging her on and boosting her up. Why would any guy in that topic ever take any of you serious again after that ? ?

nothing against you because I happen to think you have some good points honestly. That being said, I hear a lot on this site about how men are logical and able to separate your emotions from the point. So if the point is good why should the delivery matter? Also why do you consider anything said in this thread and attack?

Why is that the first line of defense is to tell women they're not approaching it right. If the point is the point why do you need sugar coating? I haven't said all black men are anything. I don't think that was said in this article at all. Literally no one who is making this point Is saying this is an every black man thing. Nobody is bashing yall.

Furthermore, black women are telling you this is an issue and this is how we feel so... why do Some of yall feel the need to invalidate it?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question:

Once folks feel like they're being attacked, they'll clam up and get defensive.

I've seen the reactions to chicks like Jamilah Limieux.
  • Westie
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Serious question:

We hear your concerns, yes black men street harass black women, yes black men ? black women, yes black men abuse black women both verbally and physically. We hear those concerns and now that we hear them what are some solutions how can black men collectively fix these issues?

okay just for you understand where I'm coming from, is it black people's responsibility to tell white people how to fix racism? Does it start with black people? So does sexism and misogyny, and violence towards women start with women?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

nothing against you because I happen to think you have some good points honestly. That being said, I hear a lot on this site about how men are logical and able to separate your emotions from the point. So if the point is good why should the delivery matter? Also why do you consider anything said in this thread and attack?

Why is that the first line of defense is to tell women they're not approaching it right. If the point is the point why do you need sugar coating? I haven't said all black men are anything. I don't think that was said in this article at all. Literally no one who is making this point Is saying this is an every black man thing. Nobody is bashing yall.

Furthermore, black women are telling you this is an issue and this is how we feel so... why do Some of yall feel the need to invalidate it?

The bold definitely does not apply to this site. Some of the ? on here are the most illogically emotionally driven ? made males I've ever come across. That said, overly emotional or not, reasonable and rational conversation shuts down when personal attacks are made. You should understand that. How many times have your legitimate points been derailed because you've had to address being called a ? or a ? out of the blue?

And I personally don't consider anything in this thread to be attack aside from the article in the OP. You and @Madame_CJSkywalker are cool with me. I may argue with you a lot and rarely agree with the entirety of your points, but I respect your efforts especially given the hostility of the environment here. Some of these ? seem to hate women so much I believe they are ? , but that doesn't mean they don't raise valid points.
  • Westie
    Options

The bold definitely does not apply to this site. Some of the ? on here are the most illogically emotionally driven ? made males I've ever come across. That said, overly emotional or not, reasonable and rational conversation shuts down when personal attacks are made. You should understand that. How many times have your legitimate points been derailed because you've had to address being called a ? or a ? out of the blue?

And I personally don't consider anything in this thread to be attack aside from the article in the OP. You and @Madame_CJSkywalker are cool with me. I may argue with you a lot and rarely agree with the entirety of your points, but I respect your efforts especially given the hostility of the environment here. Some of these ? seem to hate women so much I believe they are ? , but that doesn't mean they don't raise valid points.

I see what you're saying.
  • gorilla
    Options

We are not the only abusers of course, but collectively we have allowed abuse of black women. When it comes to positivity of black men we say us, but when it is negative we say individual.We have to be consistent of that matter. Change in how we think and become better people.

Well if I know I'm not an ain't ? black man why would I count myself among them?

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Serious question:

okay just for you understand where I'm coming from, is it black people's responsibility to tell white people how to fix racism? Does it start with black people? So does sexism and misogyny, and violence towards women start with women?

So black people don't come up with solutions for the dominant society to help fix racism and white supremacy? We have decades of proof of black people voicing concerns and giving solutions. When you've had problems with your s/o you've never offered a solution? If you feel like black women aren't being heard, that's fine that's a valid opinion. So now that this specific black man is listening to your concerns, I hear them and I'm now asking what are some solutions? Madame said she offered solutions which are buried in long titangraphs throughout this thread, but at least she offered some. Come up with solutions and we can begin to try to fix the problems.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

You've aknowledged blk women have had it bad only to say blk men have had it worst

Shield

To protect (someone or something) from a danger, risk, or unpleasant experience.
    "he pulled the cap lower to shield his eyes from the glare"

Shield is not the right word

When i say women of the civil rights movement never received just credit for the role they played I'm referring to individual women like Dorothy Irene Height who also spoke out about the sexism she experienced

THEY DO. Yall wouldn't know because you only pay attention to male voices (i.e. the article) and are dismissive.

No, we wouldn't know because we don't go looking for them. That in itself might be bad, but it's not like ? on here rejecting knowledge because it comes from women (not the ? that actually care about having knowledge anyway). Ya'll are free to drop that knowledge, and in some rare instances you have, but it seems you're more content to just bash us for not knowing.
    @The Lonious Monk

And you again are being dismissive

Street harrassment isnt just about the annoyance of being approached by strange men

Though it can be a bit much after awhile

You dont understand for a woman how scary it can be walking home or to the bus alone at night and having to deal with that

You are in denial about how aggressive and disrespectful men can be

Not to mention entitled

Ive had ? i didn't know grab my waist and even grab my car door to prevent me from closing it

Dont know how many times ive read of a man overreacting and even resorting to violence after being curbed by a woman

Not to reduce the movement down to just street harrassment its more than that....that is almost just a microcosm

Yes at these protest you have some ppl doing the most being antagonistic but that aint something unique to womens rallies

Within movements there always going to be extremist and agitators, no reason not to take a stand or support something u believe in

And most I've been have been inclusive for the most part

? i give props to the white ppl who come to the BLM protest though its not always a welcoming environment

Opposed to being defensive the few ive talked with have been cool and were there to better understand our plight

I'm not dismissing anything. You're continuously missing the point. I'm not saying there aren't overly aggressive men. I've seen a dude bump a chick with his car just because she didn't respond to his greeting. What I'm saying is that ya'll don't just go at them. You go at all of us. Feminists do stupid ? like make videos of themselves walking down the street and then paint all the men in the video as beasts whether they were just being friendly, trying to holla, or being disrespectful. Feminists do ? like tell blatant lies just to exaggerate how big a threat black men are to black women. Feminists do ? like blame black men for all the bad that befalls black women even the ? that black women actively do themselves.

This is the biggest problem I have with you. I've never seen a guy on here claim that no bad men exist or that no ? do over the top stupid ? . But you and the other feminists refuse to acknowledge how ya'll come at us. Yeah, white people go to BLM marches, but BLM marches ain't about bashing white people. There may be some hostility there, but at the end of the day the subject is bigger than just black or white. Those feminist rallies are completely different. Much of what is said consists of direct attacks on men. What purpose does it serve for us to show up to something like that. I've said it more than once. I've got two daughters. I want nothing more than to help eliminate the dangers and pitfalls that they'll face. But I'm not going to rallies where a bunch of chicks get on the podium telling me I'm the reason for all their problems when I barely have the power necessary to care for me and mine let alone to bring down a whole gender.

"You go at all of us"

It isn't about going at any specific individual ....it happens enough that suggest that this is a cultural problem. You may not do it, but when you don't speak up or/and use misogynistic language and/or consume misogynistic media you are apart of the problem. I admit i've been guilty myself of these things

But yes that is what we are trying to bring light to

How many women, feminist rallies have u attended anyways?

Or are you basing your opinion on what you have read or the internet

And its crazy you would ask what purpose it would serve for u to attend. Maybe to show support? Maybe to learn something? Lol

And how many BLM rallies have you attended?

BLM isnt about bashing white ppl same as women rallies arent about bashing men

Its about bringing awareness to issues like misogyny and sexism

Same as BLM protest are in part about pushing back against white supremacy

One of each. In the case of the women's rights rally, I was there admittedly by accident while I was in San Francisco one summer. I lasted about 10 minutes before I had had enough. The chick I speaking couldn't go five minutes without taking a shot at men, and everyone there was eating it up. That's how she and everyone else there feels? Cool, let them do them, but why would I ever go to another rally like that? It's a waste of my time.

The BLM rally I went to was here in DC, and there was no black vs white ? at all. The focus was completely on protesting injustices. And by the way, I'm not even a fan of the BLM movement, so if I had something negative to say about it, I'd say it, but it was a reasonable event.

That's a small sample size, so I'm not making some kind of statement about what happens at these events in general based on those experiences alone. But I've heard enough feminists speak on ? to know that I shouldn't bother with those rallies.

Anyway, you say the rallies are about bringing awareness to issues like misogyny and sexism. You know damn well most of your cohorts can't do that without bashing men. lol

some feminist/women rights activists might tend to extrapolate the blame to all men owing to the bad experiences they had to go through. this is not in any way, to be confused with what feminism stands for. the latter advocates equality for both sexes, not misanthropy towards men

unfortunately controversy sales so the aforementioned activist tend to get more attention at times

that said, you claim i'm not making some kind of statement about what happens at these events in general based on those experiences alone....but then admit based largely off that one experience you'd never attend another

not only that you see no purpose in attended another...though you have daughters

and in another thread didn't you admit that you hadn't read much feminist literature or have very few face to face interactions with feminists?

i say this to ask how could you possibly be so sure of what you are saying is true?

smh

but ok monk lol

you probably won't believe me

but i've had totally different experiences the rallies i've attended

the close to a dozen women rallies i've attended ...few of em were trash. most of em were cool as hell. the few of which i've attended with male family members and friends were especially enlightening. the men even walked away with a positive outlook on what it means to be feminist

*shrugs*
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We are not the only abusers of course, but collectively we have allowed abuse of black women. When it comes to positivity of black men we say us, but when it is negative we say individual.We have to be consistent of that matter. Change in how we think and become better people.

Well if I know I'm not an ain't ? black man why would I count myself among them?

When one is ? up we are all ? up. That's how groups work, if this was life and death, then we would all be dead, no matter if we are not the ? up one.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

some feminist/women rights activists might tend to extrapolate the blame to all men owing to the bad experiences they had to go through. this is not in any way, to be confused with what feminism stands for. the latter advocates equality for both sexes, not misanthropy towards men

unfortunately controversy sales so the aforementioned activist tend to get more attention at times

that said, you claim i'm not making some kind of statement about what happens at these events in general based on those experiences alone....but then admit based largely off that one experience you'd never attend another

not only that you see no purpose in attended another...though you have daughters

and in another thread didn't you admit that you hadn't read much feminist literature or have very few face to face interactions with feminists?

i say this to ask how could you possibly be so sure of what you are saying is true?

smh

but ok monk lol

you probably won't believe me

but i've had totally different experiences the rallies i've attended

the close to a dozen women rallies i've attended ...few of em were trash. most of em were cool as hell. the few of which i've attended with male family members and friends were especially enlightening. the men even walked away with a positive outlook on what it means to be feminist

*shrugs*

I did say I haven't read much feminist literature. I never said I haven't heard feminists speak on matters or that I haven't had much personal interactions with feminists. I have in both of those cases which largely why I feel the way I do about feminism. Now combine that with that one rally, and why would you think that I'd feel the need to go to another one?

I damn sure wouldn't take my daughters to one because I don't want them thinking like those chicks. They've got a lot of strong and successful women in their lives. I'd much rather my daughters soak up knowledge and experience from them than have them go to a rally where they will basically be beaten unless they agree that men are anything less than evil incarnate.

And of course you've had different experiences at rallies because 1) You're a woman and 2) You're a feminist. You're not going to perceive things the same way as men do, so I completely believe that every rally you've been to was a different experience than what I had. As for your male friends and relatives, I can't say anything about that. I don't know them, I didn't go to those rallies, and I don't how much you were able to navigate them or shield them from the unpleasantness. Are there some good and productive feminist rallies? Probably, but I don't see why I should have to play craps with my time in that manner. I can find other ways to look out for my girls.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

aint nobody tryin to hear yo ? less u ? .
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Average Black women dont even say words like cis..black women dont care about this issue
  • Westie
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    Serious question:

simple,
    get a man.

aint nobody tryin to hear yo ? less u ? .
    You had absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread except calling me a ? . Are you done yet?
    Yeah.... black men aren't misogynistic or anything.
  • Westie
    Options
    I'ma throw this out here.

I think the first step to resolving issues raised in this thread is to take a step back and understand we've been broken as a community. Our family structure got shot to hell in the 80's. A large portion of us never had a good example of a black male/female interaction. Instead what we got was bitterness toward the opposite sex passed down to us. Now we have such a difficult time associating to one another.

It's like some psychological ? . We have a bad tendency to put the faces of those who wronged us onto the faces of others we meet who may not even have the same traits.

Sistas, yall want us to listen? Ok cool. Make some adjustments? We get it.

Now yall also have to help by holding other women accountable for the actions they take to contribute to the concerns yall have. Yall can't expect us to check our fellow brothas if yall want to make excuses for your fellow sista. That also applies to being more selective of the men yall chose to give yourselves to.

We can't stop the fleas if yall keep letting the dog back in the house.

So basically, we gotta fix it.
    Lmao ok love.
  • Westie
    Options
    Serious question:

So black people don't come up with solutions for the dominant society to help fix racism and white supremacy? We have decades of proof of black people voicing concerns and giving solutions. When you've had problems with your s/o you've never offered a solution? If you feel like black women aren't being heard, that's fine that's a valid opinion. So now that this specific black man is listening to your concerns, I hear them and I'm now asking what are some solutions? Madame said she offered solutions which are buried in long titangraphs throughout this thread, but at least she offered some. Come up with solutions and we can begin to try to fix the problems.

I offered one. Check these useless ? .
  • gorilla
    Options
    I'ma throw this out here.

I think the first step to resolving issues raised in this thread is to take a step back and understand we've been broken as a community. Our family structure got shot to hell in the 80's. A large portion of us never had a good example of a black male/female interaction. Instead what we got was bitterness toward the opposite sex passed down to us. Now we have such a difficult time associating to one another.

It's like some psychological ? . We have a bad tendency to put the faces of those who wronged us onto the faces of others we meet who may not even have the same traits.

Sistas, yall want us to listen? Ok cool. Make some adjustments? We get it.

Now yall also have to help by holding other women accountable for the actions they take to contribute to the concerns yall have. Yall can't expect us to check our fellow brothas if yall want to make excuses for your fellow sista. That also applies to being more selective of the men yall chose to give yourselves to.

We can't stop the fleas if yall keep letting the dog back in the house.

So basically, we gotta fix it.
    Lmao ok love.

help is the operative word dear.

? man, anybody ever told you you hard to please? lol
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    edited September 2017
    Options

You've acknowledged blk women have had it bad only to say blk men have had it worst

Shield

To protect (someone or something) from a danger, risk, or unpleasant experience.
    "he pulled the cap lower to shield his eyes from the glare"

Shield is not the right word

When i say women of the civil rights movement never received just credit for the role they played I'm referring to individual women like Dorothy Irene Height who also spoke out about the sexism she experienced

The bold is absolutely untrue. The only reason I ever point out that black men have had it worse is as an explanation for why sometimes addressing what's happening with black men should take precedence. For example, we should acknowledge police brutality when it happens to black men or women. However, a lot of feminists get on their soapboxes and complain about black men getting much more attention than black women on this issue. It is completely reasonable for me to point out that black men getting more attention is fair given that black men suffer from it more.

ok..ok

you make some good points

think a lot gets lost in translation though

but in regards to blk men being the face of police brutality think the main concern for some women is that it puts blk women into a false sense of security

and when a blk woman is gunned down or assaulted it doesn't garner the same media attention and support which is important considering public vigilance/ pressure is what gets a lot of these types of cases to trial and local laws changed

it is also disheartening to see the lack of concern or outrage from men when that state allows ? kits to go untested....
    And it's fine if you think certain women should be acknowledged more. If that's the case then ya'll should put more time in promoting those women rather than complaining that those women aren't being promoted. That's all I'm saying. You or other feminists are free to make topics or posts dropping good info from the female perspective. Now really think about it. How many of those kinds of posts have been made vs posts complaining that men don't give fair exposure?

lol

we do when given the platform

and how many feminist sites do you frequent

check my screen name