Real talk why is Africa so behind in advancement and development?

Options
1235»

Comments

• whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    I wouldn't lean too much on wikepedia. Their entry on Pyhtagorus changes every few months. Why last year their entry on him was completely different. This no doubt to the controversy surrounding Afrocentric vs Eurocentric scholarship. Every time something validates African influence or presence, they rush to change it. I wll cede one thing. His movement did grow more in Italy after his demise due to his followers having to flee Greece proper.

You should look at the more academic sources. And also look at what his post contemporaries had to say like Laertos and Clement
    If you study his code that he instructed his followers to live by and at least what they presented. There is hardly any difference between their practice and Judaism or more importantly the Ancient Essene community which many claimed Jesus was a part of.

I prefer Stanford's online reference tool. Please produce the scholarly reference that show Pythagoras taught monotheism. I predict it will extend the Pythagorean concept of a universe based on numbers to some version of monotheism. While doing so it will ignore the large role Pythagoras played in temple ceremonies for the various Greek gods in the communities he lived in.

I drew some mirth from your term 'post contemporaries'. Clement of Alexandria (the only Clement I could find) lived 700 years after Pyhthagoras. Laertos only mention on the web is a Rebel supply depot from Star Wars. Laertes is a character from Hamlet and from Odyseus each having nothing to do with Pythagoras. I am not familiar with anything relating Judaism with the philosophy of Pythagoras except perhaps a reverence for numbers which is not central to Judaism. Central to Pythagorean philosophy is reincarnation and each living animal having a soul. This is absent from Judaism.
  • CBR1000RR
    CBR1000RR Members Posts: 492
    edited October 2010
    Options
    really, who cares. it's probably something like tribal conflicts and corruption.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    nah man i was talking to copperkid. my bad

mansa musa? nice name

i never said Africa was united ? learn how to comprehend.....and thier continent is the richest when it comes to natural resources (that is a fact) I never said they were the largest
  • sabretooth
    sabretooth Members Posts: 12
    edited October 2010
    Options
    A lot of people are ignorant about african history even africans themselves. There are more pyramids in the sudan than there is in egypt for example. Most people don't know the history of the kingdom of Zimbabwe. No one would believe it with that country's present state : /
    Kingdoms have fallen in the past due to conflict, natural disasters and disease. The last two could have easily wiped out whole ethnic groups which led to more migration and culture/knowledge loss.

Second, i know writing is important. But I don't think it should be used as a standard for civilization. South America didn't have one writing system and we all know they had great empires and civilizations. (can't be bothered to post any pics sorry)

Third. What we all forget is that before colonization, there was no real idea of a "state" just land and territories. These countries are artificial and sliced up by colonists and do not correlate to ethnic- tribal territories AND there is no going back to the way it was before.
    They way I see it, why the deuce should they all get along now just because they're lumped into the same country when in the past they were possibly enemies. These issues all make advancement difficult.

Btw why is that KTULU dude obsessed with black people. He's really been going crazy with the comments haha
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The point is that they've created an organization that basically collects money, keeps African nations dependent on foreigners instead of being self-sufficient, and corrupt leaders who want to satisfy those relationships.

self-sufficiency can be achieved through foreign investment. japan and china did it right?

the per capita income of african countries without foreign investment or remittances from immigrants abroad is too low to sustain growth. development is costly.
  • busayo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    sabretooth wrote: »
    A lot of people are ignorant about african history even africans themselves. There are more pyramids in the sudan than there is in egypt for example. Most people don't know the history of the kingdom of Zimbabwe. No one would believe it with that country's present state : /
    Kingdoms have fallen in the past due to conflict, natural disasters and disease. The last two could have easily wiped out whole ethnic groups which led to more migration and culture/knowledge loss.

Second, i know writing is important. But I don't think it should be used as a standard for civilization. South America didn't have one writing system and we all know they had great empires and civilizations. (can't be bothered to post any pics sorry)

Third. What we all forget is that before colonization, there was no real idea of a "state" just land and territories.
    These countries are artificial and sliced up by colonists and do not correlate to ethnic- tribal territories AND there is no going back to the way it was before.
    They way I see it, why the deuce should they all get along now just because they're lumped into the same country when in the past they were possibly enemies. These issues all make advancement difficult.

Btw why is that KTULU dude obsessed with black people. He's really been going crazy with the comments haha

newsflash, empires and kingdoms wouldn't exist if the idea of state was non-existent.

can we stop using the word tribe?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Politics.

But i still hold on to my belief that in 10-20 years time Africa's political environment will change for the better & it will become a super power to a magnitude comparable to India, Russia or China. In fact I think its inevitable. With this recent surge of foreign direct investment, natural resources expanding, foreign dependence on oil (i.e. the Americans & China needing it LOL), massive charities having an imprint out there & investing in the infrastructure & a huge influx of billionaires in the country I think its slowly progressing in that direction. The real issue is the political environment but with all this growth (especially in South Africa) the country is going to need for its business men (on all levels), its civilians & its politicians to work together. As for the ppl who already have their hands on Africa's ankles... itd be in their best interest to do so as well & they will have no choice but to comply eventually. A political revolution is needed & will come. India was in a similar boat long ago & they pulled thru & there are many examples (like Singapore also) & look at where they are today. Africa will work out fine in the end & will be the next MAJOR economy.

"Africa" ain't a country, cuz.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    But i still hold on to my belief that in 10-20 years time Africa's political environment will change for the better & it will become a super power to a magnitude comparable to India, Russia or China. In fact I think its inevitable.
    it's inevitable that Africa, a continent filled with dozens of nations, will be the same as a large single country like India, Russia or China? this seems... questionable.

i was also not aware that India or Russia qualified for superpower status, but this can be saved for the next phase of questions
  • sabretooth
    sabretooth Members Posts: 12
    edited October 2010
    Options
    newsflash, empires and kingdoms wouldn't exist if the idea of state was non-existent.

can we stop using the word tribe?

Fine, (no newsflash needed) I should have used the word country. I was referring to the colonial and post colonial world recognised "passport" countries in africa. Sure, there were states before. I mentioned them in my post and others have mentioned.
    If you look at the borders between chad, egypt,sudan especially, There are ruler straight lines that were not decided by indigenous existing states

Also what is your issue what is your issue with the word tribe? I didn't hold any western negative primitive connotations to the word. Do you?
    I have heard people proudly say they are hausa-fulani tribe, ashanti tribe, dinka tribe etc . In my post I also used ethnic group in my post. I use that word more for large groups that cover many areas or span modern countries eg tuareg ethnic group.
    Do you prefer clan?

AND Why are you such a nit picker lol
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yo ? , I think you got your multi quote game messed up. You obviously quoting someone else.

I never said that. And I am up on my African history, player. I know all about the Songhay, Mali, and Ghana empires. My second born is going to be named Mansa Musa or Jerry.

Why Jerry lol?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ahh man for sure right now it does sound out of reach but it will happen eventually.
    the major reason that i think what you describe is out of reach is that Africa is a continent, not a country.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Africa should become a nation. The Europeans at least had sense enough to unite their economies.

This makes sense. Tribal(yes busayo, there are tribes in Africa, just like there are in the US) differences aside, this is the only way they will be able to rise. They are not strong enough to form separate entities into bordered nations made up by their enemies to overcome the problems they face.

A United States of Africa is what is needed. China has many ethnic groups, but they were able to form into a nation. And these groups, are still able to maintain their distinct culture.

African government right now is ceremonial more than anything. They frontin like they are in control but the reality is the only truly independent countries are non black majorities. Most are glorified holding companies for European interest. A lot of African nations depend on foreign aid to manage their affairs. What kind of ish us that?
  • busayo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Africa should become a nation. The Europeans at least had sense enough to unite their economies.

This makes sense. Tribal(yes busayo, there are tribes in Africa, just like there are in the US) differences aside, this is the only way they will be able to rise. They are not strong enough to form separate entities into bordered nations made up by their enemies to overcome the problems they face.

A United States of Africa is what is needed. China has many ethnic groups, but they were able to form into a nation. And these groups, are still able to maintain their distinct culture.

African government right now is ceremonial more than anything. They frontin like they are in control but the reality is the only truly independent countries are non black majorities. Most are glorified holding companies for European interest. A lot of African nations depend on foreign aid to manage their affairs. What kind of ish us that?

you mean the Tibetan and Chinese Muslims are disgruntled for no reason? china is dominated by the han ethnic groups. cultural ? is evident is tibet. china has been forced to create autonomous regions in places like macau and hong kong. ethnic autonomy are big issues in large countries like china and russia (see chechenya).

a united african nation can not work. the problems of african countries would be compounded. such a union would be too costly as we would we have to integrate our currencies, legal codes , mode of government etc. problems regional groups like ecowas are struggling to survive. good on paper, but disastrous in reality.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    you mean the Tibetan and Chinese Muslims are disgruntled for no reason? china is dominated by the han ethnic groups. cultural ? is evident is tibet. china has been forced to create autonomous regions in places like macau and hong kong. ethnic autonomy are big issues in large countries like china and russia (see chechenya).

a united african nation can not work. the problems of african countries would be compounded. such a union would be too costly as we would we have to integrate our currencies, legal codes , mode of government etc. problems regional groups like ecowas are struggling to survive. good on paper, but disastrous in reality.

I have met various nigerian illegals during my travels in China lol, it has become easier for nigerians to get visums for china, I once actually had to run for the chinese cops because I was eating at an illegal nigerian restaurant and they had to close up(like a thief in the night lol). Eventhough the Chinese seem to have a zero tolerance policy for everybody non han, they still tolerate a lot of illegals, many nigerians stay in china after their visum expires, try to get a chinese chick and make a living, go western union style u know whats up lol

regarding an united states of afrika, The US/China/Europe have only been able to unite like they are through wars/bloodshed/a militant form of maintaing law and order.......Africa is bigger (diverser in land and people)....It might be what we need but it isn't realistic(unless morocco attacks south africa and the entire continent is in all out war with 1 clear victor etc)....

Honestly I feel we are living in the wrong time, various african nations are on the come up.....ecomomically. I've posted this before but many nations are nowadays considered 'tiger' nations(like CHina/Singapore etc were 15 years ago), the economic come up is inevitable.....hell we are young guns, we should meet up in dar es salaam, tanzania 20 years from now, hell make it 40. I'm not saying the end to corruption and poverty is near(hell take the wrong road here in europe or over there in the states and u will see poverty as well), I'm saying their will be a decent middle class(most people will be middle class)........
  • busayo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    I have met various nigerian illegals during my travels in China lol, it has become easier for nigerians to get visums for china, I once actually had to run for the chinese cops because I was eating at an illegal nigerian restaurant and they had to close up(like a thief in the night lol). Eventhough the Chinese seem to have a zero tolerance policy for everybody non han, they still tolerate a lot of illegals, many nigerians stay in china after their visum expires, try to get a chinese chick and make a living, go western union style u know whats up lol

regarding an united states of afrika, The US/China/Europe have only been able to unite like they are through wars/bloodshed/a militant form of maintaing law and order.......Africa is bigger (diverser in land and people)....It might be what we need but it isn't realistic(unless morocco attacks south africa and the entire continent is in all out war with 1 clear victor etc)....

Honestly I feel we are living in the wrong time, various african nations are on the come up.....ecomomically. I've posted this before but many nations are nowadays considered 'tiger' nations(like CHina/Singapore etc were 15 years ago), the economic come up is inevitable.....hell we are young guns, we should meet up in dar es salaam, tanzania 20 years from now, hell make it 40. I'm not saying the end to corruption and poverty is near(hell take the wrong road here in europe or over there in the states and u will see poverty as well), I'm saying their will be a decent middle class(most people will be middle class)........

that's the thing, africa should develop a middle-class without the american credit-card loving obsession of course.

how did you end up at an illegal nigerian restaurant? lol.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

It can work, if you subjugate(gulp, Olang) ego. The cost of not doing it is even higher. Find common ground like currency first and then expand to other areas. US states have different laws and codes. Africa has resources that everyone gets and wants, so start with that.

Ecowa is struggling because they have too fight against internal and external forces. If the EU can do it, the so can the AU.

Some just like being up under white people and fight like hell to maintain that comfortability. It is the ? /? relationship.

You might have to lynch a couple Francophone house ? who want to hang under the Frenchmen nuts.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The amount of ethnic groups in Africa is extremely large. When the Europeans decided to leave Africa they created artificial and arbitrary borders and states that forced many previously conflicting ethnic groups to live amongst each other. African is still in the process of "finding" its new self. It will take time for ethnic groups to live peacefully amongst each other set aside their differences. The only question is how much more suffering and turmoil will these African states have to go through until their people and politicians set aside their ethnic differences finally embrace the idea of civic nationalism. Africa as a continent is in the midst of a dark age and some states are finally showing signs of progression. Let the African people sort out their own problems and a hundred years from now I guarantee strong and united African states will start emerging vowing never to repeat the mistakes of their past.