The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• isiahil
    isiahil Members Posts: 22
    Options
    Moved my CCIE Voice written test date up to today because I thought I was ready. This is by far the hardest test I ever took. I failed my first attempt. I am glad I took it know tho because I see how they moving. Like these questions are really detailed, I cannot stress that enough. The knowledge jump from CCNP Voice to CCIE Voice test is huge. I know yall reading this thinking yea right I'm studying hard but I am letting you know its real. I am going to reschedule for June. I will either pass then or be a lot closer than I did today. lol.
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Isiahil fam I came to that conclusion while going through the ccie book. They cover everything from the ccna up to everything from the ccnp sec exam. plus they cover a lot of ? from the cissp too. I'm studying for the written the same way I studied for the cissp, make sure I know everything about everything.

What was your score? did you use any exam Sims to practice? there wasn't any labs on it right?
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^

i've heard that voice is the hardest track. what you using to study written?
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo i want to get into VMware.... ? courses are crazy expensive ...
  • Rell Mayne
    Rell Mayne Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭
    Options
    longmeat...

I moved on from networkin

studying DBA ...SQL AND XML now

learnin javascript

mastered hyper-v

learned a lot last year.

read all cisco track books twice.
  • Rell Mayne
    Options
    oh yea...cissp book was thick as ? but I knocked it out...that encryption ? is the worst part.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plan to go for my comptia network+ since my network course book can be used to study for the exam.Things are getting real exciting with what I am learning.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Question?????

I remember someone in here was consulting at one time. My question is all the training and testing you are doing, can it be deducted from your taxes as job training? Especially if you are claiming losses for your business.
  • caddo man
    Options
    I just graduated with my MAsters in Information Security Management. Next I plan on getting the Comptia Security+ certification.

But right now I am applying for Data Analyst jobs just to get in the door. I am playing with my wife SQL database to get familiar so when I get an interview I wont get stumped.

I know my path seems to veer in different ways but right now I am just trying to get in and help desk is not an option.

• isiahil
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »
    @Isiahil fam I came to that conclusion while going through the ccie book. They cover everything from the ccna up to everything from the ccnp sec exam. plus they cover a lot of ? from the cissp too. I'm studying for the written the same way I studied for the cissp, make sure I know everything about everything.

What was your score? did you use any exam Sims to practice? there wasn't any labs on it right?

I failed by 25 questions. The Voice Cisco tracks never have sims in them. I did lab up some stuff to help me study, but that didn't help. It is more than just setting up labs. You have to have debugging on and see exactly whats going on if you want to pass the IE written (and probably lab for that matter). With that being said I will be labbing up a lot more things between now and when I retake the CCIE Voice Written.

• isiahil
    Options
    ^^^

I got like 5 or 6 Cisco Voice books. I also have a Cisco Voice lab at work I toy around with. And on top of all that I actually do this stuff as my job. lol. This test was humbling tho. I ran through the CCNA and CCNP Voice quick. I thought I was unstoppable. lol. But I will pass this CCIE written.
  • longmeat
    Options
    ^^^

If you're talking to me, a bunch of different Cisco Press books. The 4 CCNP Sec books, Network Security Technologies and Solutions, and the Anti-X ASA book. I even ? open my CISSP book to cover certain topics not really fleshed out in other places, i.e. regulation, risk analysis, and security models (biba, bell lapadula, etc). I'm not trying to take an L.

Pretty sure you can find torrents online breh. You shouldn't be paying for ? .
    Rell Mayne wrote: »
    oh yea...cissp book was thick as ? but I knocked it out...that encryption ? is the worst part.

Did you get your CISSP? If so congrats, you're now apart of the Security Inner Circle, I'll teach you the secret handshake later. The encryption section was the section I liked the most. The SDLC and risk management section put me to sleep though I-)
    caddo man wrote: »
    Question?????

I remember someone in here was consulting at one time. My question is all the training and testing you are doing, can it be deducted from your taxes as job training? Especially if you are claiming losses for your business.

You can claim them under job related expenses on your W2. The only time it matters though is if your training is more than the standard deduction of $5800 for single. That'd be a whole lot of training. I'm not sure how you can claim them as a loss for your business though.
  • longmeat
    Options
    I just graduated with my MAsters in Information Security Management. Next I plan on getting the Comptia Security+ certification.

But right now I am applying for Data Analyst jobs just to get in the door. I am playing with my wife SQL database to get familiar so when I get an interview I wont get stumped.

I know my path seems to veer in different ways but right now I am just trying to get in and help desk is not an option.

Dog, everyone starts in help desk. Think of it as doing a bid. There's only 2 days in help desk, the day you get and the day you get out.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm trying to get out man but my path has been so cisco focused i dont know what i can really get into.
  • longmeat
    Options
    @John, just pick whatever field you enjoy. This IT b, you gonna eat good regardless
  • Rell Mayne
    Options
    naa I don't have the security backround to even try to cissp.
  • longmeat
    edited May 2012
    Options
    @King I know you said you already started doing everything on the ASA through the CLI, but I just realized that the firewall exam book is pretty ? useless because all of the configs is through the ASDM. They barely have any commands on how to setup this ? .

The anti-x book shows you the CLI command, but it doesn't go over DMVPN which is 100% on the exam. On the real, I think Cisco just trying to scam money from ? to buy they're whole damn Cisco Press library

I wonder if BGP is on this ? .
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes and you HAVE to take the course AND pass the exam to get the certification... unlike most IT vendors.. VMWare's course training is really helpful

i would suggest getting in touch with one of the guy's that setup the training at VMWare, sometimes they need to fill seats and can get you a discounted course
  • Rell Mayne
    Options
    all the virtualization is kinda easy until you get to the part of provisioning ? via scripts. And linking networks between vm's. I want to learn how to exploit the driver and take over the hypervisor
  • caddo man
    Options
    Question?????

Anybody????????
  • King Erauno
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »
    @King I know you said you already started doing everything on the ASA through the CLI, but I just realized that the firewall exam book is pretty ? useless because all of the configs is through the ASDM. They barely have any commands on how to setup this ? .

The anti-x book shows you the CLI command, but it doesn't go over DMVPN which is 100% on the exam. On the real, I think Cisco just trying to scam money from ? to buy they're whole damn Cisco Press library

I wonder if BGP is on this ? .

you gonna have to beat up those ipexpert videos. Ive gone through all of them in volume 1 and everything is cli except the IPS/ACS. I'm using those and that network technologies and solutions book. I also got that anti X book and another general firewall book, (its packed up somewhere, its asa, fwsm etc, orange like the anti x book).

yeah im pretty sure BGP is on the exam
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Question?????

Anybody????????

i think you can. I haven't consulted yet, but my mentor has. ? writes off everything. Esp when he buys that expensive CCIE training, bootcamps etc
  • caddo man
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Question?????

Anybody????????

i think you can. I haven't consulted yet, but my mentor has. ? writes off everything. Esp when he buys that expensive CCIE training, bootcamps etc

I was on the IRS website and it was very vague on it. ? it. I will ask my wifes cousin. She does taxes for all of her friends an associates.

But it is something to think about for these other people that are spending on these expensive test. Put down that EZ and read the deduction paperwork. If I find anything I will most def give back the info with some links for clarification. With taxes you cant be more careful.
  • longmeat
    edited May 2012
    Options
    yeah im pretty sure BGP is on the exam

Not only that I'm 99% sure redistribution will be on there as well (the v3 blueprint talks about route filtering, which typically is done with route maps). And if redistribution is on there, RTBH might be on there as well.

On the real, I feel like I have to learn everything on the R&S exam to make sure I'm ready for the Security exam.

? you Cisco
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lemme bookmark this thread. I plan on going back to school in the spring for computer science so this will come in handy.