The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    yo @long. this CCIE written is going down in June aiming for a June 15th test date.

Word, I had mine schedule for this weekend but I know I ain't gonna be ready. Ima try to see if I can knock it out on June 2. For some reason I think I'm ready.

I bought the ucertify. Test engine. ? ok, the questions are too damn easy though.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i just got my associates in computer networking focus in microsoft and i plan on getting A+ and + Network certified within the next 6 months....wondering what are my career prospects with no experience?... maybe help desk?
  • longmeat
    Options
    ^^^lol@maybe help desk. Ain't no maybe ? . Help desk hell is where we all start. Go head and take that L and keep it moving.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »
    ^^^lol@maybe help desk. Ain't no maybe ? . Help desk hell is where we all start. Go head and take that L and keep it moving.

What all do you do in a help desk position? Do you mostly help people over the phone? Cause Im really a hands-on kind of person.
  • longmeat
    Options
    you learn that suicide really is a viable alternative
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo @long. this CCIE written is going down in June aiming for a June 15th test date.

Word, I had mine schedule for this weekend but I know I ain't gonna be ready. Ima try to see if I can knock it out on June 2. For some reason I think I'm ready.

I bought the ucertify. Test engine. ? ok, the questions are too damn easy though.

i'm feeling the same way bruh. Been going through these chapter questions in all the books that I have (the ones that actually do have questions). I might ? with that ucertify too. is it worth it?
  • King Erauno
    Options

What all do you do in a help desk position? Do you mostly help people over the phone? Cause Im really a hands-on kind of person.

you help people via phone and depending on where they may bring their machines to you. its like a right of passage...EVERYBODY does help desk in the beginning of their IT careers. aint no way around it
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

you help people via phone and depending on where they may bring their machines to you. its like a right of passage...EVERYBODY does help desk in the beginning of their IT careers. aint no way around it

Network and system admin guys usually start in the help center. Convo with them about it and they talk like it was being on deployment in Afghan. LOL!

Most Security guys that I know go straight to monitoring and Most programmers I know went straight to programming or from the military. My wifes and her cousin(s) job is all military or college grads that were recruited. FAMU, Georgia Southern, (GA and LA Tech), LSU, etc. all over.

As you can tell I know alot of programmers. I know a few network guys from the Navy that works for HP.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Anybody in here ever dealt with SAP crystal reports?

I am not taking on another tutorial until I finish with SQL. But I want to know the basics.
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    for the guys who have done contracts, what do you do for your benefits? i have a family so i need a decent package
  • longmeat
    Options
    @king the questions are just too damn simple. it be ? like what port is used for SSH. I'm like come on son cisco ain't gonna ask no easy ass question like that.
  • harry knucklez
    Options

Thanks. I've only had a few refresh projects so far, I haven't been able to get any help desk or desktop support. I hear talkin about how bad they are but I'd lucky if I can get that. Alot of these Help Desk positions I apply for on these job boards want you do have certain amount of experience that I don't even have yet.
  • King Erauno
    Options

Thanks. I've only had a few refresh projects so far, I haven't been able to get any help desk or desktop support. I hear talkin about how bad they are but I'd lucky if I can get that. Alot of these Help Desk positions I apply for on these job boards want you do have certain amount of experience that I don't even have yet.

go cop that A+ if you can. that should get you in there.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

I am not taking on another tutorial until I finish with SQL. But I want to know the basics.

it's been a while since I messed with crystal reports. it's pretty straight forward. I found it easier to program and export things directly to excel though. Excel has come a long way in how it can be used as a database with forms and things. I would say CR just reduces overhead but if you're running MS office and have access to excel ( no pun intended), then CR would be a waste. If not and you need professional reports done, CR is the way to go. It's a good add on to VS.
  • caddo man
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

it's been a while since I messed with crystal reports. it's pretty straight forward. I found it easier to program and export things directly to excel though. Excel has come a long way in how it can be used as a database with forms and things. I would say CR just reduces overhead but if you're running MS office and have access to excel ( no pun intended), then CR would be a waste. If not and you need professional reports done, CR is the way to go. It's a good add on to VS.

Good looking out! I have been playing with Excel 2012 everyday getting back in to the flow of things.
  • spc4mack
    spc4mack Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options

Props to you for keeping it real with dude. Helpdesk is where you'll start my dude. Just about all of us started there. Keep you eyes and ears open and get out ASAP.

• harry knucklez
    Options

I already got the A+. I got mine back in 2009. Opportunities seem scarce where I'm at.
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What book do you recommend for A+, Cissp, Cisse, Security +, Cisco voice? Trying to grind here, any tips for me to get a help desk job? They asking for certs which I don't have but I have A+, DCIC, MSCE, MCP, Network +,MCSA, Training from school? Thanks
  • King Erauno
    Options

I already got the A+. I got mine back in 2009. Opportunities seem scarce where I'm at.

look into the CCNA or Network +. CCNA is more popular and more advanced, but only if you want to get into networking. Its really want you want to get into. You will need to research other advanced certifications to get ahead
  • King Erauno
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    What book do you recommend for A+, Cissp, Cisse, Security +, Cisco voice? Trying to grind here, any tips for me to get a help desk job? They asking for certs which I don't have but I have A+, DCIC, MSCE, MCP, Network +,MCSA, Training from school? Thanks

you got your MCSA/MCSE...build on that. Look into the MCITP which is the 2008 server ? . i think you only would need to take 1 or 2 exams to update that. Not 100% sure though. Microsoft books are always a good choice
  • dnyce215
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »

you got your MCSA/MCSE...build on that. Look into the MCITP which is the 2008 server ? . i think you only would need to take 1 or 2 exams to update that. Not 100% sure though. Microsoft books are always a good choice

Thanks erauno, I meant to say I don't have any certs yet but I working towards them.
  • longmeat
    Options
    ^^^my ? you doing too much. Start with A+ and a MCP and get a help desk job and start there. This ? listed every damn cert he could find lol
  • dnyce215
    Options
    ^^^my ? you doing too much. Start with A+ and a MCP and get a help desk job and start there. This ? listed every damn cert he could find lol

lol, nah my dude that is what I learned in school, so I'm just stating what I know. I will start with A+ and MCP. Thanks I listed every cert I could, Ctfu.
  • longmeat
    Options
    ? there's no way in hell they covered MCSE, CCIE, & CISSP in school. Much less the other certs you listed on top of fulfilling the requirements for a degree
  • dnyce215
    Options
    ^^^ they covered the MSCE ? , I didn't get into the CCIE, CISSP. The CCIE and the CISSP are the fields I interested in fam. Just clearing up the confusion.